Topic: Fireface 800-Windows 7 x64-Sonar 8.5.3 x64 Arming Delay/no sound issu

So I just had pretty much the most embarassing session I've had in my life.  I rently got a Fireface 800 but today was the first day I tried tracking a full scale project with it in Sonar.  By the end of it I pretty much wanted to smash this thing.  So here goes with the issues.

When I go to arm a track for recording there is a delay.  Sometimes half a second, sometimes a good 10 seconds.  Ok that's annoying but whatever.

Sometimes when monitoring an input I can see the signal coming in via totalmix but the armed track would show nothing in sonar.  At this point trying to save or close Sonar causes a crash.  On top of this nothing else is able to utilize my Fireface to play audio either.  (I wanted to see if it was a sonar thing or a device thing and since after this happens no windows application can access it I'm going with the device driver here.) However if I power cycle the FF800 and load the session again it works again. 

Sometimes it will allow me to record a few tracks but then I stop and go to playback or record again and again Sonar seems to not be able to communicate with the FF800 again.  This just appears to happen randomly as I can do the same thing 5 times in a row and on the 6th it will do this... or the 3rd or the...

Other times I can see meters jumping in Sonar but no sound from the Fireface.  When I go to record a track or play something it has become a total crapshoot.

I seriously had to restart this damn thing 20 or 30 times during this session with clients watching me.  I never had this problem with my Firestudio Project and I don't see why I should have this problem with a device that costs 4 times as much.  I have had 0 issues with any other device on my machine so if it is in fact my configuration then I'm going to go ahead and say you need to write a more comprehensive driver.  I'm not sure if I actually expect to see any kind of support on here since I've read tons of threads where RME essentially says "it works fine over here so it's your computer."  The fact that it stops working intermittently definitely tells me something is up on the driver side because I know my machine is not crapping out intermittently and if it was I'd assume more devices than this one should have issues.  If it is an issue within Sonar I would've expected a fix to have been released at this point as it has been out a good amount of time and I haven't seen this issue with other devices.  And again whatever happens here causes the fireface to not be able to communicate with any windows software ( mediaplayer, winamp etc) either.   I saw someone posting about the delay thing and others about the no sound thing many months ago with RME people saying a fix was coming.  If this is the case where is it?

I really need some sort of a solution here.  It is just not at all stable enough for any kind of work and I don't have the cash to just go grab some other higher end device.

In any case it is absolutely not possible to work like this.

I have an I7 930
ASUS P6T SE
12 GB CORSAIR XMS3 RAM
NVIDIA Video
Windows 7 x64
Sonar 8.5.3 x64

Latest firmware and driver version 3.0.34.

RME let me know if you know anything about this issue.  Anyone else that's having this issue please let me know if you managed to solve it or if I am just screwed.   Thanks.

Re: Fireface 800-Windows 7 x64-Sonar 8.5.3 x64 Arming Delay/no sound issu

> I saw someone posting about the delay thing and others about the no sound thing many months ago with RME people saying a fix was coming.  If this is the case where is it?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10508

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You did not explicitly mention it, but I assume you are using WDM instead of ASIO in Sonar?

Timur wrote:

You did not explicitly mention it, but I assume you are using WDM instead of ASIO in Sonar?

ASIO Actually.

I experienced delay with WDM in the past, but not ASIO. Did you try the new beta driver yet?

So I just tried the new driver and while I see new options and stuff it does not resolve this issue.  There is still a delay when arming or disarming tracks for recording and while working on the project audio went out and required me to terminate my DAW and reboot the FF800 before getting sound back.  The dealer I bought this from I cannot return it to and I cannot use this thing with any confidence.  I am screwed.  Awesome.

Is this a Service Pack 1 installation of Windows 7? If not you might want to check one of the hotfixes for Firewire that came out before SP1.

Does it make a difference whether you are using the "Legacy" Firewire driver of Windows or not? (Update driver via Device-Manager, then manually chose driver and see the list.)

I'm starting to wonder if it's something with my actual FF800.  So it just did it's BS again and stopped playing audio.  So I powered off my machine and left the FF800 on.  Turned my machine back on and even though Windows obviously went through it's initial boot up and making connections etc the Fireface still would not play sound again until I power cycled it.  If it was just a driver issue or a Windows/DAW issue then issue should have been resolved after rebooting.  This isn't what happened though.  The hardware itself was obviously stuck because only power cycling it brought it back.

9 (edited by kasaudio 2011-04-03 20:54:14)

Don't know Sonar, but this delay "smells" like some threading problem. If you're on asio driver with Sonar, you might try this

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10745

Start asio engine and use "feed inputs to outputs" option. Send some sound on input and listen/compare delay on outputs. If it rises like you described, then I have no idea what the problem is. If not, then it is something with Sonar. I would uncheck any "multithreading" or similar option in Sonar at start.

hope it helps.

10 (edited by Mesa4x12 2011-04-04 02:37:49)

kasaudio wrote:

Don't know Sonar, but this delay "smells" like some threading problem. If you're on asio driver with Sonar, you might try this

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10745

Start asio engine and use "feed inputs to outputs" option. Send some sound on input and listen/compare delay on outputs. If it rises like you described, then I have no idea what the problem is. If not, then it is something with Sonar. I would uncheck any "multithreading" or similar option in Sonar at start.

hope it helps.

I haven't tried your application but I did disable multithreading in Sonar and issue persists.  Here's something to think about though... if this was a sonar issue then why after audio stops playing back and I reboot my computer does the fireface itself not start functioning again until after I power cycle it?  It doesn't work with sonar or anything else for that matter (MP3s, winamp, media player etc).  At that point software is totally taken out of the equation because the whole machine is rebooted.  The device itself is getting hung and doesn't function again until power cycled regardless of what's happening with the computer.  I have seriously tried a good 20 times to bounce a rough mix for my clients and I just cannot do it.  I've also been using Sonar 8.5 for years and never had these issues with other interfaces, none of which cost as much as this.

-I have tried changing driver to public beta - No change
-I have tried changing to legacy Firewaire drivers - No change
-I have tried turning off multithreading - No change
-I have Sonar on another partition that is for recording only - It also has this issue with the RME
-Sonar X1 also has this issue but I don't currently use X1 in any capacity because I am not familiar with it yet and am in the middle of projects.  So this issue is not just for Sonar 8.5.

I really am out of ideas.  I am also really in trouble here.  I am losing a ton of time and money here.  As it stands this is unusable.  I cannot return it and I cannot use it.  I got this because of the hype I heard so like a dumbass I jumped into it blindly and now not only do I not have higher quality but I guess until I can afford something else I am officially out of business.  Lesson learned.

I do not see the problem. If the unit behaves like that (which is obviously not normal) send it in for check/repair.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I do not see the problem. If the unit behaves like that (which is obviously not normal) send it in for check/repair.

Um... You don't see the problem?  I just bought this, haven't been able to work, and now I am supposed to send it off somewhere?  So I still won't be able to work.  What is the turn around time for something like this?

If you purchased this unit new from official RME dealer it should be fixed under warranty. A good dealer will take care of you somehow. In my case, they lend me replacement unit for repair time.

I bought it from http://www.uniquesquared.com .  It's been just over 30 days so it's out of their hands.  Any idea how long I can expect from the time I ship this off until the time I get it back?

As far as I know new interfaces have 1 year warranty. So it's not out of their hands.

16 (edited by Timur 2011-04-04 09:59:48)

Before you send in your brand-new unit you should download Reaper and have a look if the behavior is the same there. You don't need to learn the software for that, just go into Preferences and set up the FF as ASIO device and try arming/recording a track.

Also you did not answer any of my questions from an earlier post, please have another look at it, especially the "Legacy" driver thing.

Are you using the onboard Firewire port of your mainboard? The Asus board you listed uses a VIA® VT6315N FW400 chipset. VIA chipsets don't have the best reputation here. I had one mainboard where a VIA chipset worked with a FF400 and at the same time had a PCI card with VIA chipset that did not work.

So you might really need to get a Firewire add-on card to solve your issues, even if your former interface worked with the VIA. FW to FW unfortunately doesn't work with all combinations of chipsets.

Last but not least: Are you using the backpanel FW port or a front-panel one (that is connected to the mid-board FW connector of your board)?

The warranty is two years.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Having same kind of issue here...  sonar 8.5.3 and FF800, win 7 64 bits.

I think it's a Sonar Bug, because they have a fix for this in version-update X1b

Sometimes I try to arm a track, without success, I have to close and reopen Sonar then I can arm the track again.

If I understand right, this is happening to you, too?

MBP M1 Max, 64 Gigs RAM, IOS Ventura
ADI-8 QS and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt

lapieuvre wrote:

Having same kind of issue here...  sonar 8.5.3 and FF800, win 7 64 bits.

I think it's a Sonar Bug, because they have a fix for this in version-update X1b

Sometimes I try to arm a track, without success, I have to close and reopen Sonar then I can arm the track again.

If I understand right, this is happening to you, too?

Well arming the track is never the problem really.  There is just a large delay (although sometimes after arming I see no signal).  Then quite frequently playback just goes away.  Once this happens I cannot save my project without corrupting it or use any other audio on my machine.  For instance after this happens I can't listen to an mp3 on the machine either.  If I try, it either crashes the application trying to play it or I can hear it way low with a really loud noise coming out of the FF800.  Power the Fireface off and back on and the issue goes away. 

I wish mine was as easy as closing and reopening sonar.  I'll update my X1 and see what happens although as I said while I own it I haven't switched over to it yet since I'm not really familiar with it's workflow yet.  Thanks.

And Timur I'll check out some other things and get back to you too although I have tried the legacy Firewire drivers and used onboard and PCIe firewire card with same result.

Also try to reset Sonar's setting file. You can do that via a button in its settings dialog (it's a text-file, so you can also manually delete/rename it and Sonar should create a fresh one). I forgot the name and would have to reinstall Sonar 8 first to have a look. I'll likely do that next week anyway, no time this week.

Timur, I think you mean aud.ini?

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

That should be it, yes. wink

I have had that issue also, meaning the arming delay. I am running X1 with the b patch installed. Latest everything on the FF800, and I'm in Win7 x64. I must say that I am NO expert, but I have had the 800 working well for a couple years and now I am getting long latencies, arming delays, lots of noise when recording a first reference track for a new project - that's ONE track with one plug at 24 bit/48K. Again, I am no expert, I am a hobbyist, but I now am going to have to become an expert because I need to get these problems resolved. I've put off learning the details for 2 years because I had no problems, but now I need to know what's going on. I could swear the FF audio panel used to have more options than it does now, It seems my bit rate is set in stone at 24 bit, my X1 preferences are grayed out and my FF settings don't include a bit rate setting anywhere. Number of buffers and buffer size also gray in X1. If I switch to WDM driver in Sonar, the buffer number, size and bit rate selectionsd become adjustable again. Is it the ASIO driver for the FF? I don't know. I'm also not sure which selections I should make for the playback and record timing master, all of the FF input and outputs are listed there. I'm sure I sound stupid, but lilke I said, it just worked before and I never had to mess with these settings. Anyway, I'm having arming delays and latency issues with FF800 also in X!b on Win7 x64.

24 (edited by russwsoper 2011-04-27 00:35:40)

It's not just you.   I upgraded to Sonar X1 at the same time I purchased the UFX, and started experiencing similar symptoms immediately (and still am).

I posted to this forum a few months ago about similar issues - the track arming delay & intermittent loss of audio.  Re: the track arming delay, Matthias responded to my post to wait until the next driver release - which I see is now in public beta testing. 

Regarding the intermittent loss of audio - I've tested this with several different programs and to me, it seems as if the audio driver ceases to function when I either change driver settings, or when I close an application and open another one - the driver isn't released.  I haven't resolved either of these issues - I'm seriously hoping the new driver resolves it.  I've had the exact symptoms you describe above - occassionally an armed track not showing any levels, so can't record anything  (but Total mix shows the signal level fine) - a reboot of the UFX eventually fixes the issue.  Lastly, I'll also occassionally receive a message indicating audio / MIDI device has been disconnected from your computer, etc...

I've placed trouble tickets with Cakewalk as well - they swear it's not their issue, which seems reasonable given I've experienced the issue with other other ASIO software (e.g. Guitar Rig 4 & BFD2).  Maybe I'll try the latest beta driver RME just posted to see if that helps.

If you manage to find a solution, please post it - I'd REALLY be interested in it.  Thanks!

For reference, I'm running Sonar X1b 64 on Win7 64 with a UFX via Firewire with latest production drivers and firmware (not running beta driver).  Hardware is a Dell T7400 Dual quad-core Xeon CPU w/ 8 Gbyte RAM and 3 hard drives.  I'm using ASIO driver mode.

Russ

One question: Did all people who suffer from this install Sonar X1 in addition to their already installed 8.x? Or does anyone here only use 8.x and never came in touch with X1?

Hi,
Unfortunately I upgraded to X1a at the same time I upgraded to the UFX, so I can't objectively determine which is the cause of the issue.  X1 and X1a were both pretty buggy as well.  I'm now on X1b and still having the issues.

When I was installing X1 and the new UFX, I took the opportunity to install them onto a completely fresh OS install as well, so don't have Sonar 8.x installed.
Thanks
Russ

27 (edited by russwsoper 2011-04-28 01:15:48)

Update:  I tried the new beta driver and found the following results:
- The delay in arming tracks in Sonar X1b was better.  There's still a slight delay, but it's certainly tolerable now.

- I'm still experiencing loss of audio though - no change with symptoms above.  Symptoms seem to manifest themselves when the audio driver changes state - for example, when opening up a project recorded at a different bit depth and sample rate than the default or than the last loaded project - I receive the message "RME - This audio / MIDI device has been disconnected from your PC.. etc".  Rebooting the workstation and UFX restores audio. 

- I still experienced no record level in Sonar for a track armed to record, so nothing effectively records on that track since the signal never makes it to Sonar, although the signal shows fine in TotalMix.  Again, a reboot of the PC and UFX restores the record level and everything records fine with no other parameters modified at all.

Matthias - since this happens with the current production driver and new beta driver - please let me know your recommendations. 
Clearly this isn't normal behavior, however other Sonar users are experiencing similar issues, so I'm assuming my UFX isn't defective.  Please let me know what I can do to help diagnose the issue.

My hardware / software specs are listed above.
Thanks for your help.
Russ

Hey Russ I still haven't found a resolution either but changing to WDM has made the situation better than it was.  Also to answer the X1 question above... I have 2 partitions.  One fore everyday use and one for recording.  2 separate OS installs.  The issue is present even on the partition X1 never touched so X1 is not the issue.

Partition X1 never touched, or OS install X1 never touched. It makes a difference whether X1 may have modified Registry entries and system files (DLLs) or not.

I switched my UFX from Firewire to the USB beta driver and found the following:

- The delay in arming tracks in Sonar X1b is slightly longer than with the Firewire driver, but it's tolerable.

- I can still replicate the issue of losing audio when opening a project that was recorded at a different sample speed or bit depth than the previous one I was using (or different to the default settings, if it's the first one I"m loading).  As above, a reset of the UFX and PC restores audio.

- I haven't been able to replicate the issue of no record signal showing in Sonar on an armed track yet.  That issue was intermittent, so I'll keep using the USB driver and post my results, however at first glance, the USB driver seems a bit better than the FW with respect to this specific symptom.

I'll post my results once I use the USB driver over the weekend - I have two all day sessions, so should have some better data then.
Thanks
Russ

Timur wrote:

Partition X1 never touched, or OS install X1 never touched. It makes a difference whether X1 may have modified Registry entries and system files (DLLs) or not.

Both.  Each partition has it's own separate OS.  On one of the partitions/OSes X1 has never been installed.  Registry has not seen X1.

32 (edited by Timur 2011-05-01 15:26:40)

I am currently installing X1 and will test this with each patch (vanilla, a, b) via FW and USB. For comparison with my RME interfaces I will use the onboard sound of my bootcamped MBP via ASIO4ALL and the USB based Kore 1.

I cannot compare 8.5, but 8.0 should provide some insight, too.

Once I'm through I'll report back.

After heavy use this weekend, I found the USB driver to be far better than firewire. 

- The delay in arming tracks was longer with the USB driver, however I didn't experience the audio loss issues I had with the firewire driver. 
- I still experienced no recording level showing up Sonar's meters a couple times, however all audio / MIDI still recorded properly despite not showing record levels in Sonar (contrary to my experience with the Firewire driver). 
- Also, when encountering no record signal in Sonar, I was able to resolve it by toggling the echo or arm to record buttons a few times - I didn't need to reboot the PC and UFX. 

If I have time next weekend, I may switch back to the Firewire driver to further confirm and isolate the issues, however for now, I'm staying USB.

Hope that helps.
Russ

34 (edited by Timur 2011-05-03 13:57:41)

I did some extensive testing around, but may need to do more. I'm only talking ASIO and 32-bit Sonar on 64-bit Windows 7 here. More testing with 64-bit Sonar will come later.

Sonar X1a seems to work as good as it can. I can record arm and disarm to my heart's content even while playback is running, works via Firewire and USB. Record Level meter shows a signal every time, signal is recorded, works at 44.1 kHz as much as at 96 kHz and at 64 samples as much as at 1024 (FW)/2048 (USB) samples.

Sonar X1b needs more testing, but seems to suffer from some issues. I still could record arm without delay, but Sonar kept losing contact to the FF driver on all kind of random occasions. Furthermore the output channels showed some rather strange names (should read something like "Fireface 1/2" as in X1a but did not, see screenshot below).

http://i.imgur.com/EZrZq.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/0t1BF.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/j0Uxa.png

After uninstalling X1b and reinstalling X1a everything was back to normal. If you want to try this make sure to clear the following things manually:

- Go to Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs and uninstall SONARX1
- When prompted to “Remove Shared File”, click “Yes to All”
- Go to Start | Run, and type “regedit”
(or in Win 7: Click on the “Start” Windows logo, type regedit into “search programs and files” at the bottom.)
        - Navigate to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\ and delete the “X1” key
        - Navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\ and delete the “X1” key
- Open Windows Explorer
        - Navigate to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk
        - Verify that the SONAR X1 Producer Edition directory has been removed
        - Open the Shared Utilities folder and delete PluginManager.exe and VstScan.exe
        - Navigate to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Cakewalk and delete the “SONAR X1  Producer Edition” directory if it exists
        - Navigate to %APPDATA%\Cakewalk and delete the “SONAR X1  Producer Edition” directory (or in Win 7 \Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk delete the SONAR X1 Producer directory if it still exists)

When you reinstall Sonar you should not need to reenter your serial no. (seems like it's hidden in some other registry key, not listed above). So it should not be too much of a hassle to try this.

35 (edited by Timur 2011-05-12 10:15:27)

The "strange" naming scheme of channels seems to be a feature, not a bug. And it's even a good one. fryingpan

When changing channels you can see the full name: like "ASIO Fireface Analog 1 (1)"

In X1a this would translate to "ASIO Firefa..." on all faders, leaving you to guess which fader corresponds to which physical port. X1b automatically creates an abbreviation by taking the first letter of each word and then removing all vocals and some consonants in order to squeeze channel numbers in there (ASIO Fireface Analog 1 (1) = ASFrfcAn11).

So this has nothing to do with the connections losses or anything. Sorry, Cakewalk, my fault! ed:

Could someone who experiences the issue please provide a test set (preferably compressed via 7z). I can provide ftp space if necessary.

Test set?

Some Sonar X1 project file that I can load with which the issues happen for you. Or just tell me which of the tutorial files works to reproduce the issue and what settings you use.