Topic: Multiple FF800's in Parallel or Series?

How do I configure multiple FF800's? I need 24 inputs and 24 outputs simultaneously. I use a Mac Pro with Logic Pro 9...and a bunch of other stuff that is NOT Firewire 800 gear.

Re: Multiple FF800's in Parallel or Series?

The FF 800 has 28 inputs and outputs, so you don't need more than one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by throctal1 2011-05-21 06:58:52)

Yeah, but what kind of changes do I have to go through to get these 28 input and outputs to work concurrently? Do I have to use connectors that require some type of conversion from one type connector to another (such as a 1/4" to RCA as an example, or something to that affect)? Will they all work simultaneously with the same output levels? Can I assign them individually or will some outputs be controlled by others? I'd rather have some continuity in my cabling since I have most of the cable wired up as balanced TRS snakes already.

4 (edited by Laurence Payne 2011-05-21 11:47:28)

If having 24 IDENTICAL inputs is a priority, your neatest way would be to use the 8 Line Inputs on the FF800 plus 16 channels of external A/D connected to its ADAT ports.   Additional FF800 units would be an unnecessarily expensive way of doing this.

Thanks for your help and insight in this matter. I am not trying to spend money I do not absitively, posolutely MUST! :-) I'm new to the rme family so I'm probably going to ask some obvious questions like:
Do I need a physical ADAT to take advantage of the a/d's or can I use some other a/d's in place of them? If so, what unit can I use and how do I hook it up to my system?
Again, thanks for your help.

2x used RME ADI-8 Pro's off eBay for $400-$500/ea.  Those two units along with your FF800 will get you 24 good LINE LEVEL analog ins and outs.  Of course, pretty much any ADAT AD/DA converter from $200-$10,000 will work to utilize the FF's ADAT ports for Analog I/O.  A physical Alesis ADAT machine is not required - or wanted :-P  Just AD/DA converters that use the ADAT Lightpipe protocol are all you should need for I/O expansion - clocked accordingly.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

throctal1 wrote:

Thanks for your help and insight in this matter. I am not trying to spend money I do not absitively, posolutely MUST! :-) I'm new to the rme family so I'm probably going to ask some obvious questions like:
Do I need a physical ADAT to take advantage of the a/d's or can I use some other a/d's in place of them? If so, what unit can I use and how do I hook it up to my system?
Again, thanks for your help.

ADAT machines as such barely exist any more.  But the connection they used has survived.  Just think of an ADAT port as a socket for an 8-track digital multi-core!  There's a wide choice of equipment that uses it, from many manufacturers.

Thank you all for your help! I have now seen the light(pipe)!!:-)