Topic: Help Syncing 2 Multiface IIs - OS X

I have 2 multiface 2's , recent firmware updates etc, connected to my mac pro via pcie.
I have set the 2 up as an aggregate audio device, with one as the master clock, connected to the 2nd unit via optical for sync.

I have a couple of newbie questions.

1.) Do i need 2 optical cables, so out from the master to input of the slave, then from slave out to master in? (currently only using one cable)

2.) When using outboard processing on the slave I often get audio glitching (not buffer size related) which i can only cure by clicking the "resample" checkbox on the aggregate audio device. After a while the noise comes back. Any idea what's going on there? SHould resample be selected, even if one of the units is set to master and the other to slave?

any help appreciated

thanks

2 (edited by Joel 2011-08-08 15:16:28)

Re: Help Syncing 2 Multiface IIs - OS X

I don't think any of my recent questions have been answered on the RME forum.. not sure why.

Anyway bumping this thread.

Are aggregate devices for 2 multifaces supported/recommended?

I just can't get them to stay in sync (tried optical and coax so far)

I see another thread with a similar question (which was promptly responded to), seems to indicate BNC is the only solution?

Anyone???

Only one sync connection is required, output of the Master unit to input on the slave. The fact that you had to check the resample box indicates that there is something misconfigured in the connection between Multiface units. Please list the settings selected for each unit.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

4 (edited by Joel 2011-08-08 16:08:06)

Jeff wrote:

Only one sync connection is required, output of the Master unit to input on the slave. The fact that you had to check the resample box indicates that there is something misconfigured in the connection between Multiface units. Please list the settings selected for each unit.

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the reply.

I'll post some screenshots. Currently connected using RCA on the spdif.

http://cl.ly/3o3G3A2P2Z1O451d0U2H/Screen_shot_2011-08-08_at_5.01.35_PM.png

http://cl.ly/0A2Q1M0a2f200w2Y1x3C/Screen_shot_2011-08-08_at_5.02.03_PM.png

Does running a cable back from the slave into the master interfere in any way? Just curious.

I don't see any obvious problem here, and running another SPDIF cable back should cause no problem.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for taking a loook, maybe I should try BNC cables as suggested in the other thread. My interfaces are stll going out of sync.

Do you use a real SPDIF cable (75 ohm) or just analog RCA? Which driver and firmware version is installed for the HDSPe cards?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

8 (edited by Joel 2011-08-08 16:42:13)

Jeff wrote:

Do you use a real SPDIF cable (75 ohm) or just analog RCA? Which driver and firmware version is installed for the HDSPe cards?

I've tried the optical cables included with the multifaces, as well as regular analog rca, both produce the same results.

Driver version 2.77 firmware rev 18 on both cards.

I'm wondering if it's not an aggregate device/apple issue rather than a multiface issue per se?