Topic: connecting RME Fireface 800 and Dolby DP564

hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way to hook up those 2 devices, so that I wouldn't have to switch output cables all the time...

basically the DP564 has:
1) BNC digital inputs (AES3-ID compliant)... that supposedly can receive both DD and PCM signals
2) Optical in (no information on that one...)
3) Ethernet in (that works with DD server app)

Now i've tried to connect it through ADAT 1 OUT (FF800) to OPTICAL IN (dp564) but DP564 shows "no input" info on the screen... so no go...

I'm quite new in the surround mixing field (especially connections of gear) so your help would be very appreciated !!!!

Cheers
Chris

Re: connecting RME Fireface 800 and Dolby DP564

I believe you set your ff800's ADAT#2 to SPDIF and connect to the TOSLINK (optical) input of the 564.  Many "spatial stereo" signals contain sufficient sum & difference content to use ProLogic decoding by the 564.  For Dolby Digital however, the signal sent must be a DD-encoded stream, either created in DAW's software, or passed thru from a streaming source, such as a DVD with DD soundtrack.

thank you kindly for the response...

Indeed, the signal is in but now I have to do a proper routing... right now only 2 channels go through smile

If I understood you good, right now I should be worried to buy a software DD encoder (that does it's job on the fly) for my DAW... any recommendations ??

once again thanks for your help !! big_smile

@ RMiller

i would appreciate it very much if you could help me out here again smile

regards
L.