Topic: ff 400 channel 4 and 5 output problem

morning Daniel,
I own a ff 400, and recently have had problems with the outputs jack sockets on channels 4 and 5 on the rear of the unit .all the jack sockets along the back appear to have got a powdery corrosion build up forming around them. I have cleaned them up as best as I can, and still channel 4 output socket not working at all ...nothing from that socket ,,but channel 5 will now only work when the jack plug is slightly pulled out of the unit, if the jack is fully engaged channel 5 is dead.

have you any experience with this problem.......thank you for your help

regrds

Re: ff 400 channel 4 and 5 output problem

On the top of this page, click Search, type in 'corrosion'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thank you for your fast reply MC,
I have read  your responce to similar problems, and if I understand you , there is nothing to be done by the user, and the unit should be returned to RME for repair under the warrenty. please confirm if I understand

again many thanks for your fast reply Matthias

regards

Correct - please send the unit in.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I fixed my unit myself FF800, which was second hand. You need to be pretty handy at electronics and soldering.
The tracks were broken possibly corroded from many of the output sockets except output 1 & 2 had previously been repaired.
The way to do it is to take a fine piece of wire from some stranded tinned copper wire. After opening up the unit locate the faulty socket, melt the solder from underneath the board of the pad of the faulty connection, not to much heat and push the wire through in the direction of the rear of the socket till in comes out on the other side of the board at the back, then link it across to the buffer resistor for that leg of the output. This saves fully removing the socket, and is really quick and easy once you know how.
It's really like micro surgery, definitely not for the faint of heart.

cheers  Greg

hi greg,
thanks so much for your reply.I have infact returned the unit back to RME as directed by the support team.
with regards to carrying out the repair myself, hehehehe ......no way I have problems wiring a plug up let alone intricate solder work. thanks once again for your advice, but you hit it on the head !   me ...I am the leader of the faint hearted brigade.

thanks mate, it's really appreciated

regards
lesenos