Topic: loopback feature workaround

Dear RME forum,

I have been trying to use the loopback feature to record audio from one application to another (ie i-tunes into reaper).  I have tried following all the relevant posts on the forum but can't get it working.

For now, to simply get round this problem I have hard wired analogue out puts 3+4 to free inputs (7+8 on my system). Something I used to do successfully,before I was aware of Loopback feature, on my old RME multiface card.

In the fireface mixer I route audio to outputs 3+4, I see clearly there is output on both channels and expect to see this at inputs 7+8. However, I only seem to receive the right channel (channel 8).

I have checked outputs 3+4 play out through speakers and that 7+8 function properly when receiving an external signal. I've checked cables and tried other inputs (always the left input isn't there).

I've been looking at the circuit diagrams trying to work out why this could logically be happening but can't work it out.

My set up is as follows:

Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo
Fireface400 (D32) v2.93  1.70 hardware updates
Reason
Fireface mixer (I notice under applications TotalMix but can't open it up - should I use Totalmix instead of fireface mixer?)

Any help would be much appreciated
Scott

Mac mini 64GB RAM, RME Fireface 400, REAPER, ABLETON

Re: loopback feature workaround

HI Scott,

Are you trying to do this with any empty project? I would do so to simplify things till you figure it out.

Here is how I would do it on the PC.
This is assuming you are starting with a new empty Reaper Project and the Factory default Mixer routing.
Hold the CTRL/CMD key while clicking on Preset 1 in the Fireface Mixer. This loads factory default.
Make sure your speakers are turned down before resetting the Fireface Mixer.

1. Set programs like Itunes to use analog out 1/2
2. Star a new project in Reaper and create a track.
3. Assign the track Input to Stereo Analog 3/Analog 4
(This is how they are listed on the PC in  Reaper 4.)
4. Open the Fireface Mixer and select Hardware Output 3/4 in order to choose Submix 3/4
5. On the Playback row on Channel 1/2, SubMix 3/4 hold the CTRL/CMD key while click on channel 1/2's fader. This will set the fader to 0. This will send the Playback of channel 1/2 to Hardware Output 3/4.
6. In Reaper arm the track. Set it to "record input". Do not set it to any of the "Monitor Input options or you will get a nasty feed back. There is no need to monitor signal though Reaper. This is being done Via the Fireface Mixer.
7. Engage the Loopback function of Hardware Outputs 3/4 on the Fireface Mixer.
You should now be seeing signal coming in on the track in Reaper.

Channel names and bus names may be different on the Mac but the steps otherwise should be the same.

Is Reason running while doing this. Not sure if effects this at all. Not sure how Reaper deals with Rewire on the Mac.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Re: loopback feature workaround

Many thanks for a concise reply Chris. Much appreciated. Got it now and it works a dream...thank you so much.

Scott

Mac mini 64GB RAM, RME Fireface 400, REAPER, ABLETON