Topic: Please describe "Lock Registry" and "Optimize Multi-client Mixing" set

tings.

I've looked around the site and haven't been able to find info on those two check boxes in the "about" page of the latest driver.  I have an older Multiface used with a PCMCIA cardbus on my laptop and a PCI card on my desktop computer and I'm wondering what the optimal settings are.

Thanks!

Re: Please describe "Lock Registry" and "Optimize Multi-client Mixing" set

Lock Registry allows you to password protect the chosen settings. This is useful if other people use your audio interface, as the changes they make will be restored upon the next reboot.

Optimize Multiclient allows different software apps to use the same playback channels as long as the sample rates are the same. For instance, iTunes and Cubase can both be set to output to ch 1/2 and the driver will mix the signal together before it get to the HDSP Mixer. This will have a small performance hit on the system, so if you are pushing it hard you should leave this unchecked.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Please describe "Lock Registry" and "Optimize Multi-client Mixing" set

Jeff wrote:

Optimize Multiclient allows different software apps to use the same playback channels as long as the sample rates are the same.

I hope Jeff will permit me to make a minor correction here... The setting does not "allow" multiclient operation, it optimizes it (as the name suggests... fryingpan cool)...

Quoting an earlier explanation from MC:

"It's an erase routine for the buffers, which prevents clicks/noise that occurs on start/stop of a multiclient usage. So if you don't use multiclient you don't need it. If you don't care about an up to 0.5 s noise when starting/stopping in mc mode you don't need it. If you just want the system to work without thinking what to do you will want it."

Sample rates of audio material need to be the same for ASIO applications. WDM will work regardless, with Windows resampling to the sample rate set in the card's settings dialog.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME