Topic: FF400 and OSX Lion

Hi,

I've been waiting patiently for a driver update that works on Lion but since I'm not seeing any posts on here about it I'm starting to wonder if it's just me. Are we waiting for Lion drivers or not?

I've tried deleting the software and reinstalling, and installing on a new HD to rule out any cache problems but with no success. I mostly need ADAT connectivity.

Thanks

OSX 10.7.1
FF400 Version 2.93
Firmware 1.70

Bosie

Re: FF400 and OSX Lion

There's a pretty ridiculous conversation here about it.  Basically, it ended with an RME employee saying on 8/3/11 that a new driver is in the works.  There's also some interesting advice to partition your drive to run Snow Leopard - or Bootcamp your Mac to run Windows 7.

I'm patiently waiting for a driver as well.

Jon

Even Matrox, one of the world's worst regarding timely driver delivery, had a Lion driver out for their audio/video interfaces within a month.

Here's to hoping RME get their act together - after the 10.7.1 update the FF800 has not behaved properly - required to boot the system with it turned off.

There is a pre-release USB driver out with workarounds for specific Lions issues. I assume once this proves to be working there will likely be a FW driver as well.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12431

Thanks for the replies, at least I can stop fiddling and just wait for updated drivers.

Bosie

dialing_wand wrote:

Even Matrox, one of the world's worst regarding timely driver delivery, had a Lion driver out for their audio/video interfaces within a month.

Here's to hoping RME get their act together - after the 10.7.1 update the FF800 has not behaved properly - required to boot the system with it turned off.

even Presonus has a beta Lion driver.  DeadHorse

I only now got to install 10.7 onto a separate partition of my Mac Pro, then I simply migrated all programs and settings from 10.6 automatically, and the FF400 works just like that, without even any need to reinstall the driver. Sample rate changes seem to have some issue, but the fix in the USB driver that Timur mentioned should be applied here sooner or later. But installation and basic operation does work. Only testing iTunes here so far, further tests upcoming...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

I only now got to install 10.7 onto a separate partition of my Mac Pro, then I simply migrated all programs and settings from 10.6 automatically, and the FF400 works just like that, without even any need to reinstall the driver. Sample rate changes seem to have some issue, but the fix in the USB driver that Timur mentioned should be applied here sooner or later. But installation and basic operation does work. Only testing iTunes here so far, further tests upcoming...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the update.

Personally, I just bought a Macbook Pro with Lion pre-installed - so I need some solid advice.  After researching quite a bit, I've found that most people are afraid to install a partition of Snow Leopard on a new Macbook with Lion because of potential hardware incompatibilities.  Is this true?

As per Daniel's post I've installed Lion on both my day-to-day & DAW partitions today ----- onto two healthy partitions I should add, tech tool, disk warrior, all my usual tricks etc etc run before the software install & after (two clones of each partition made for emergency rewind if needed)..

All peachy, it's an i7 MBP, 8Gb, SSD, RME FF UFX......didn't need to re-install the FW driver (haven't tried USB yet) - immediately went to work for 6 -7 hours on some tracks that had been running a little rough with Logic 9.1.5 & OSX 10.6.8 & surprisingly the distribution of processing across the cores seems better integrated in Lion.......not so much as a single glitch & already really enjoying the new graphic look, finder & particularly the ability to have full-screen apps..

Now if SoundToys would just get their 64-Bit support sorted I'd be even happier..

Maybe 2 moro the whole lot will go up in flames.....but suitably impressed thus far..

drainaudio wrote:

As per Daniel's post I've installed Lion on both my day-to-day & DAW partitions today ----- onto two healthy partitions I should add, tech tool, disk warrior, all my usual tricks etc etc run before the software install & after (two clones of each partition made for emergency rewind if needed)..

Good - so I don't get sued if something goes wrong... cool

I must admit I was impressed by the migration assistant that just cpopied programs and drivers from 10.6 to the new 10.7 partition, nothing had to be reinstalled, except for an updat for PT9.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

11 (edited by Christian Baum 2011-10-09 08:12:10)

Hi there,

audio playback in Logic works here without problems (64 samples buffer). I installed on a pristine hard disk with Lion (no update, clean install) and used the latest RME drivers. What might be interesting: It did NOT work as long as the FF800 was the sync slave (a Virus TI2 being the SPDIF master). This worked flawlessly under SnowLeo, but no more! Like the FF as my master better anyway...
I didn't try the usual load of soft synths yet. Audio plus FX works however.

Best regards,

Christian

RME Support wrote:
drainaudio wrote:

Good - so I don't get sued if something goes wrong... cool

I must admit I was impressed by the migration assistant that just cpopied programs and drivers from 10.6 to the new 10.7 partition, nothing had to be reinstalled, except for an updat for PT9.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Lol - of course if I'd hosed my system it would have been your fault....I've been making my living in this industry for 60 years & never before had to make a backup of anything..............................ever wink

It's still working well here after a few days, I also had to install the PT9 update but that was it & that was after upgrading Snow Leopard (not a fresh install) which is fine in my experience as long as you are doing it to a completely healthy existing OS install. Disk Warrior post-upgrade didn't report the need to repair many items, showing that the update/upgrade process is pretty efficient these days.

Haven't tried USB & may not as I prefer to use the FW bus solely for audio, however its handling the largest Logic projects I have (60 odd tracks & lots of 3rd party plug-ins NI, Sound Toys, Slate Digital) better than Snow Leopard - the distribution between the processor cores appears to be not yet all the way there but certainly more integrated, something that a further update to Lion & Logic should continue to refine. Just holding out for 64-bit support now....which Sound Toys are dragging their feet a little on..

I'm also pleased that my proposed new live rig appears to be working very well (Lion) under testing both on this MBP i7 & SSD & MB Black SSD (of which I have several for use solely as live machines) - this consists of Logic running aprox 6-10 mix stems to 6 outputs (at 1024 samples) with a virtual MIDI link (patch changes) to Guitar Rig 5 running in standalone to 2 outputs (at 32 samples) & a MIDI link (patch changes) being sent out to another MB Black SSD running Guitar Rig 5 standalone (both using UFX's with UA Solo/610's as the DI for either guitar or bass)......that's been sat in a corner running on loop since Friday evening without any issues although it's all utterly bored having played the same track 482 times..

I'll certainly look forward to a dedicated Lion FW driver, but in the meantime I is a happy camper.

Cheers..