Topic: Totalmix Preset control problem

Hello,

I recently have lost control of Totalmix from my Novation Remote SL from the push buttons. This has worked for me flawlessly in the past. I am not wanting much of control from Totalmix from my controller. Just 3 preset controls, DIM, mono, talkaback and the output faders in row 3. I just need the presets for monitor control. That's it. I recently updated to the latest version of Totalmix and this seems to have changed my control.

My system:
Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GHZ x2
FF800 with FWv2.77 Totalmix 2.97

My Novation is connected via USB. The FF800 is connected via Fire wire 400 connection. When I first received my FF800 I set up the buttons according to pg.80 of my manual on Simple MIDI control I need to use note messages on ch.1 to control the preset and DIM,mono functions etc. This worked just fine before. To control the faders I need to start at CC102 on ch.8. The faders still work great no problems. Now for some reason the buttons no longer control the presets and other functions. I do have the velocity set to 127. If I use the keyboard on the controller with the same notes I can control these functions. When looking at the MIDI data in Snoize the only difference I see is that the keyboard message has a Note OFF velocity value.

I have tried searching the forums here before posting so I apologize if this has been covered. From what I found the Note ON velocity needs to be 127. I made sure this is the case. I made a short screen capture video to show that I am sending the exact same message but the button just doesn't send the note off velocity more than 0. The keybed does.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1620676/Firefac … roblem.mov

I have tried connecting my FF800 to a MBP with my Novation controller as well with the same results. Presets only change with a Note OFF velocity value.

I am sure it must be something I am overlooking. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Re: Totalmix Preset control problem

We're checking.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by techbuzz 2011-10-28 15:26:07)

Thank you for the response MC. A quick update.

I can get everything to work if I uninstall the new version of Totalmix and revert my machine back to TM 2.75. All the presets work and all of the other functions that I use work just fine. So at least I can go backwards to get things working.

Some testing notes maybe this can help you guys out.

- I tried deleting the .plist files, emptying the trash and rebooting. No luck.

- If I use my Novation FW4.2.02, play the note into Ableton 8.2.2 from the button and then output the MIDI data to the IAC bus the function works correctly on the FF. I am doing this in real time. Ableton see's the note OFF as a value of 64 from the Novation. I think it is passing this to TM.

But

- I can program the MIDI notes into Ableton and output them to the IAC bus to the FF or out of my Micro Lite to the MIDI IN port on the FF and everything works fine. With or without a note OFF value. The note ON value I found can be anything even with a note OFF of 0.

- I tried using my FCB1010 programed with the correct note and plugged into the FF directly via MIDI and it DID NOT work.

- When using my FCB programing tool in SIM mode through the IAC bus it does work. The tool is iFCB.

- I tried outputting the MIDI data from my Novation controller through its MIDI out port directly to the MIDI in of the FF. Still didn't work.

- I tried uninstalling the driver for Automap 3.7.4, rebooting, then installing it again. No luck.

- I tried reinstalling the USB driver for the Novation hardware. No luck.

So it appears that there is either a bug in the new version of TM or there is a problem with my system. What is strange is that a programmed MIDI track from Ableton with a NOTE off value of 0 works. So does the SIM mode of iFCB. But from two separate controllers it doesn't. The Novation via MIDI or USB MIDI. Or the FCB via MIDI directly or through the micro lite. I will go back to the older version for now and try the new version later on.

Please let me know if you guys get the same results or if you want me to try something else out.

Anybody else out there with a 10.6.8 MAC with a FF800 and the latest version of TM 2.97 having the same problem? I would like to know if everything is working fine on your system to try and narrow down the issue on mine. Thanks

The just released Mac driver 3.0 includes an updated TotalMix which should bring back the MIDI control that you miss.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for the update Matthias I just installed and tested this out. Works like a champ now! The only difference now is to just check "Enable protocol support" in the preferences panel. 

Thank you very much for your support and fast response. It is greatly appreciated! :-)