Topic: Ableton with TotalMix and using a midi controller

Hi all!

I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to link audio / midi tracks from ableton to TotalMix for ease of mixing and keeping everything neat and in one place. At the moment I can control the master volume in the second softare row in TotalMix, is there a way to route individual tracks from ableton to TotalMix? Is this even the best way to go about mixing in this instance?

Also at the moment I leave my physical output channel set to maximum and control the level coming out of ableton to my monitors via the software fader in row 2 in TotalMix, is that best way to go about it? I should also mention that I am running an MR816X into the 9652 via Adat and using that as my monitor output.

And finally, what is a good midi controller for use with TotalMix? I have seen the Behringer bcf2000 used quite well for this, it is the best option or is there a better unit available?

So I guess my main aim here is to have all my individual tracks in ableton routed to TotalMix and then use a midi controller with TotalMix so I can mix more hands on and not have to reach for the mouse constantly. I am mostly recording guitar, bass and vocals through the MR816X into ableton then adding some soft synths and virtual drums, so again if there is a better way to go about this than what I have put forward please let me know, I am only new to the 9652 / MR816X / midi controller combo smile

Thanks very much

Junks

Re: Ableton with TotalMix and using a midi controller

To route individual tracks out of Live to Totalmix you need to output each track individually (track 1 = output 1, track 2 = output 2, etc). The Live manual and tutorials tell you how.

Since all that would restrict your maximum number of tracks to the number of your physical outputs you should just forget about it and mix within Live. It doesn't matter in practice whether you are using Live's own Master fader, Totalmix' row 2 or row 3.