Topic: New babyface, now how do I get sound in speakers?

Hey, I'm using reaper and the babyface.

I've set the settings in reaper so I can record my guitar etc. but the only sound I get out is from my headphones, I'd like to be able to hear it from my logitech 5.1 speakers as well, um.. how would I go about doing that? they're plugged in to my computer and uses the realtek drivers.

Thanks /D

Re: New babyface, now how do I get sound in speakers?

Hi,
The only way to get the Logitach speakers to play out of the Babyface is to plug them into the Babyface.
You will not get 5.1 playback. You will get the stereo. So left right front and the sub.
The Babyface like any other pro audio interface is not designed to be used with these home theater/gaming computer speaker systems so it is always a pain to get them hooked up.

Are you using the analog or digital output to go to the Logitech from the on board Realtek audio?

If you just need stereo playback then set outputs 1/2 of the Babyface the default Windows playback.
It will work great as a stereo sound device for general audio playback.

Surround is more complicated because you need software that has a built in surround decoder or a external receiver with a surround decoder. The Babyface like any other pro Audio device doe snot have a built in surround decoder function.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

3 (edited by davidud 2011-12-14 22:07:55)

no probs, the 5.1 doesnt really matter, as long as I have 2.1.

so I can do this without having to plug them directly to the babyface? as I still want sound when I'm gaming etc. so I don't have to move them every time. I tried setting "SPDIF/ADAT (1+2)" as the default windows playback, but I still don't get sound through them when I'm recording or anything.. um.. Not sure what to do

thanks.

the speaker system is plugged in with the 3,5mm jack btw

edit: I've tried setting all of the babyface ones in playback as default, still nothing.

If you want sound out of the Babyface, you will need to physically connect speakers to the Babyface. If you leave your speakers connected to the internal sound card, you will hear the sound of the intrnal soundcard.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So there isn't a way to like.. (in reaper) have the input set to babyface and the output, like the actual mix, set to speakers?

Um, if not, where do I connect the speakers? in the headphone jack?

regards

I use the babyface for everything. That means that in Windows in the Sound Applet, I have the audio set to Babyface Analog 1 and 2 for recording and playback. Since I record nothing in Windows using Windows, that works. In Sonar I have the Babyface inputs and outputs shown in Sonar set to Babyface ASIO 1 in for timing and recording and for playback I have Babyface ASIO 3 set for playback, but I also set Babyface output 1 and 3 for playing both through the headphone cord (hooked up to the computer speakers and/or Analog 1 and 2 output (Babybface output 1) for playing through my stereo speakers and stereo if I have it on. Either or both can be used if set in TotalMixFX program.

I quit using my Soundblaster Card even though it is still in the computer. It always wants to have priority and the only place I could use it (while now I have the drivers and it disabled in windows) is for chat on a forum or something like that. Since I got tired of it trying to take over everything even when I don't want it to, I can do without forum chats because the Babyface is too good for going that low to listen to a forum chat. It starts at 11000 sample rate and I am guessing a chat forum don't probably go over 8000 or whatever it is, which the Soundblaster Card could handle if I wanted it to mess with anything else I won't ever use it for anyway.
Listening to music, youtube, or DVD movies I use the Babyface and for what it is made for - recording and using a DAW.

8 (edited by davidud 2011-12-15 12:01:10)

I have the speakers plugged into the back of the babyface (using the headphones cable) and when I need headphones as well I just plug them into the side, works fine so far, I get sound from games etc. (I set it(Speakers RME Babyface) to default driver).

The thing I'm wondering now is if I'm supposed to be able to control the speakers using the "out" selection on the Babyface, as I control both my headphones and speakers with "Phones" now tongue..

Doesn't matter that much really, just curious smile..

Thanks for all the help everyone smile

edit: I just noticed that My sub isn't connected to the babyface when doing it this way, so currently I'm on 2.0 ..

edit2: sorry, I do have the sub, I think, when I right click and press "test" in playback options it only plays left and right and when I test the realtek one it does everything except left and right (yes it also does sub) but I seem to have sub when recording and listening and gaming so I should be fine.

Hi,
I would suggest one of the following.
1. Get the unbalanced breakout cable for the Babyface and use a stereo 1/8" female to dual mono RCA male adapter to hook up your speakers.
2. Get a XLR3 Female to RCA female adapter to a stereo 1/8" female to dual mono RCA male cable.

This will allow you connect outputs 1/2 which are independent from your headphone output which is 3/4.
You will then have independent volume controls over your speakers and headphones.
Also here is a quick guide for setting up Reaper with an RME interface. Just to check that it have it configured optimally.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Yes, I use my headphones (for the ear-buds) out of the side of the babyface) with the cord output for the computer speakers. That is handled from the control room (bottom row of TotalMixFX) on the right side with Main Outs set to Phones 3/4. The Analog 1 and 2 outputs are set by using the hardware output (bottom row again of TotalMixFX) on the left side of the bottom row. Without the volume up there, you would have no signal going or getting to your monitors (or in my case my stereo) which I just use a balanced cord to a adaptor to phono RCA plugs. If I ever get powered monitor speakers I can take off the adaptor (1/4" to RCA phono) and just plug in the balanced 1/4" plug into the powered monitors.
:-)

Thanks for the advice.

I'm posting here again because I've started getting interference or something from my speakers, it's a constant buzz, quite "choppy". similar to when you're sitting too close to the computer with a guitar. Um.. I'm not sure what to do, it's really annoying hmm