Re: Distort sound with Fireface UC, Mac

RME Support wrote:
oblique strategies wrote:

The tech I spoke with also did computer music. He thinks it's the RME driver. He also said "not enough time in milliseconds for buffering, so the sound drops out."

The obvious solution to that would be to increase buffer size, but that would not indicate a driver issue IMHO.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,
Can you please comment on the IOAudioStream Errors in the Console messages that accompany audio dropouts?

example:
1/2/11 5:43:41 PM    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x8f0ac00]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (7951,277)->(7954,68c).

The clock is ticking my friend...

52 (edited by ton 2011-04-13 12:54:13)

I had Parallels installed on my Macbook Pro 5,5 at some point and had the same issue. I thought removing Parallels and reinstalling OSX 10.6 would be enough. But apparently it isn't. You got to delete your harddrive and make a fresh install. Now everything works fine for me. I first made a fresh install, updated to 10.6.7 and after that installed the UC with the latest driver v1.50 and firmware v112. I hesitated because i thought this step would be too time consuming. But it actualy it didn't take too long.

Just to make sure it keeps working, try to observe the software you install. And keep track of the changes you make to the system so you know the cause in case you have issues with the UC again.

Even if it's not VM related it might help starting with a fresh install with only your sequencer installed and check if it works...

(Edit) I tried all possible combinations of unplugging and replugging the device (Boot, Sleep, with audioplayback in Live, without...) evrything worked.

Hope this helps.

Driver 1.51 does the trick here while playing iTunes.

MacbookPro 5,5 with Parallels installed!

So I hope not to get any clicks during production with Reaper and Logic. If so, I'll report.

Thank you guys!!!!

What bugs me is that Apple announced USB audio related fixes for both VMware and Parallels in the release notes of OS X 10.6.6 beta. But when it was released nothing was mentioned anymore. So now nobody knows if Apple did the fixes or not.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Did RME ever get to the root of the IOAudioStream errors?

The driver had been reworked in its core routines. Since then everything is green...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

57 (edited by JamesC 2011-11-21 16:37:34)

Unfortunately I'm still having the IOAudioStream errors.

I'm using a late 2008 macbook pro (pre-unibody), running 10.6.8, latest RME driver and firmware.

58 (edited by oblique strategies 2011-12-23 04:09:14)

I'm still getting IOAudioStream errors too.

I have the same computer specs:
Late 2008 MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.8, latest RME drivers & firmware.