1 (edited by lembit_pet 2011-12-27 10:34:46)

Topic: Tele to XLR input on Babyface?

Hi,

I am going to connect my Roland JV-2080 to my Babyface. It's an old synth, so it only has left and right tele 1/4" out. I want to connect them directly to the 2 x XLR inputs on my Babyface. According to the manual that should work fine, it also has some cryptical info about connecting the "ring" of a stereo TRS jack, and pin 3 of a XLR to ground.

I red this somewhere else: "You need to make sure that pin 3 and pin 1 are shorted together (-ve to ground), and that goes to ground on the other end of the cable. pin 2 of the XLR (+ve) goes to the tip of the phono or jack plug."

Can someone tell me what cable or adapter I should get? Will this one do the trick:
http://shop.klotz-ais.com/cgi-bin/quick … g&ls=e
How do I know if it is wired correctly?

I do not know all this technical stuff. Don't tell me I need a DI-box. smile

David

Re: Tele to XLR input on Babyface?

I would wait for a second answer, but on my synth (and JV1080) since I have balanced 1/4" inputs (tip, ring, sleeve) on my studio channels, I just run a 1/4" balanced cord (tip, ring sleeve) from the synth. It works. Since the ring is always going to I guess the pin 2 or the other ring, it does nothing then and is like the sleeve (ground) of the cord. So a cord that has a 1/4" balanced plug to a XLR end for the babyface probably will do the same thing - nothing, and the JV2080 should just hook up fine. The pins of the XLR are I think hot, cold, ground, so the cold is still hooked to the cold (ring) in both ends and nothing happens with that in the end.

I think both pins (hot, cold) are for phasing as not to introduce more noise into the signal that a regular unbalanced 1/4" plug may bring in if picking up EMI signals from the outside say like radio frequencies, and such. The two leads (hot and cold) of a normal XLR or 1/4" balanced cord cancels more noise out if any is present making longer cable runs (like a long microphone cord) not pick up noise along the way or add noise to the input of a preamp or amp or whatever connection the mic is going to (or the instrument).

To me that harkens back to the old days (whenever that was) when shields used in cables were not as good as they are today (ground - sleeve). So a good cord is not going to pick up that much noise in the first place anymore since they make cables better I guess.

Thanks for your reply. The guy in the music store told me the same thing, so I got 2 balanced 1/4 teles (L+R) and pluged into the XLRs on the Babyface and it worked perfect. If I need to connect more than one synth, I will get a patchbay.

Only problem now is if I want to plug in a microphone, I need to dive under my desk and disconnect lots of cables smile Is there a breakout box for the Babyface? Or perhaps a breakout cable with just phones and XLR mic in? That would be great.

David

I found out that the Babyface (in the manual ) will take unbalanced cords also, either one will work.
Maybe RME can give you a link ( I think there is one in another thread somewhere around here for a cheap dual interface - 2 into 1), but I don't do that. I do the synth, and then on other tracks I do the voice, but my equipment is on a board on a rack made for a synth (along with the JV1080) that holds everything on the second rack (top rack)  of a synth rack. They sell three tier ones also.

Have to look around to see if there is something cheap, usually there is (and there is more than one category. Music store may be able to get something also where you got the cords.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c663--Dual_Channel_Preamps

??
I might have to unplug my synth and plug into another unit (for a mic) to the studio channels, but that is all I do, and it takes a minute or so. (Doing more than one track into a DAW - digital work station - program on a computer to record and play music).