1 (edited by JaiT 2011-12-29 15:21:18)

Topic: FF800 lenovo and cubase6

Hi, I have a FF800 connected to a ricoh chipset firewire to a IBM Lenovo T410i with Cubase 6 on windows 7 64 bits , RME 3x firmware drivers updated and 6GB Ram.
IRQ 19 is shared for RME, UAD2 express card and intel 5 3400 chipset family USB host controller.
All sounds good but sometimes the sounds start making pops and clicks (most on Cubase) and sometimes become distorsionated, I have to reset the Fireface and the laptop and everything is ok again until next kaos. Very unstable setup to make music I think.
the  answer is:
a fireface repeater hub with Texas Inst chipset with RME as host and my two laptops plugged in the hub will fix the pops and cliks?
Change shared IRQ is required?
Maybe RME ff800 doesn't works fine with Lenovos or IBM laptops ?
maybe RME ff800 doesn't works fine with laptops 4 pins firewire?
Has RME really fixed windows 7 problems with the 3x update?
is there any problems with RME and 64 bits?
Thanks

Re: FF800 lenovo and cubase6

Hi,

a fireface repeater hub with Texas Inst chipset with RME as host and my two laptops plugged in the hub will fix the pops and cliks?

It is not possible to share the fireface with 2 computers at a time using a hub. This is not possible with nay audio interface.

Change shared IRQ is required?

It is not possible to manually assign IRQs in Windows since Windows 98. Also IRQ sharing not a big worry like it was under Win 98 and earlier XP versions. On a laptop and even on most desktops you will always have multiple devices sharing the same IRQs.

Maybe RME ff800 doesn't works fine with Lenovos or IBM laptops ?

Every Lenovo laptop model uses different hardware. There is no general compatibility issues between Lenovo or any other manufacturers laptop. There can be performance issues on laptops due to the choose of 3rd party devices the laptop manufacturer uses on the model. Such as Firewire, wifi, card reader, blue tooth, network and video. These all have the potential to cause performance issues with pro audio software and hardware depending on how the manufacturer implements them on the laptop.

maybe RME ff800 doesn't works fine with laptops 4 pins firewire?

RME as well as all other firewire interfaces work fine on a 4 pin firewire connection. The only difference between a 6 pin and 4 pin is the 2 pins for bus power. So only a device that can just work off of buss power would not work with a 4 pin connection.

Has RME really fixed windows 7 problems with the 3x update?

Yes. Since you are using the Ricoh firewire chip you might want to try using the Microsoft Legacy Firewire driver. It may be more reliable for you rather than the default Windows 7 driver. here are instructions on doing this.
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12742

Here also are links to tweaking your Window s7 install to work well for audio.
http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html

is there any problems with RME and 64 bits?

No

Thanks

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

3 (edited by JaiT 2011-12-29 22:05:01)

Re: FF800 lenovo and cubase6

ok, so it's not win7, it's not 64 bits, it's not ricoh because my rme is working with legacy driver, why rme is so unstable ? what kind of conflict may cause pops and clicks to reboot RME ? sincerily, I'm not the only one with this problem I found in spanish and english forums, people with  the same clicks and pops in the sound with different laptops, I think you might know what may cause this annoying problem, I really think the problem is not Lenovo setup, any idea?
video driver is intel graphics, I use Eset smart firewall (I tried without antivirus and same problem), really think an offline laptop work better with rme?
what about Cubase 6, running?
same time the laptop , I connected another HP firewire laptop trhough the rear firewire 800 in RME and sound collapsed sometimes, You said that's not possible to connect 2 laptops so why rme has 4 rear connections?

Sorry my english,in Spain we speak spanish at the moment.