Topic: BCF2000 question

Hi all,

I have a question for those of you using the BCF2000 to control Total Mix.  I often use channels 9-12 plus ADAT for live mix situations, not using any of the analog inputs 1-8 at all.  My mains and stage monitors are routed (mono) to analog outputs 1 and 2, and I send a stereo mix for in ear monitors on outputs 3/4.  Using the default set up for the BCF2000 in Mackie mode, every time I want to select on of the three submixes to adjust levels I need to first use the "bank/page left"  button to move to the "channels 1-8" page.  Then select the correct submix by hitting shift/select (the button directly over each fader).  Then, "band/page right" once or twice to get back to channels 9-16 or 17-24 to adjust my inputs.

I am trying to cut down on the number of times I need to hit the bank/page buttons.  Does anyone know a way I can reassign the shift/select encoders to be absolutely (as opposed to relatively) assigned to outputs 1-8?  That way, no matter what bank/page I am on, I can directly select the outputs I am actually using. 

Seems there should be some way to do this using the BCF2000's programming application, but I can't figure it out. 

Thanks,

David

Re: BCF2000 question

The solution has been mentioned here before and is on our list already: it should be possible to exclude channels from remote control within TM. Then you have all channels under control that you really need. Unfortunately I have no date when this will be available.

Right now you can use the cc commands to adress specifically the faders/channels that you want. That means not using the BCF via Mackie protocol.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by neirbod 2011-08-23 14:27:10)

Thanks. Matthias. I look forward to eventually being able to turn off some channels.  Ideally, we could also reorder the channels as well.

I am interested in using control changes to select submixes, but I am confused how to do this since it seems 1) I need to use Mackie Mode to control the UFX and 2) in Mackie mode, I can't edit the BCF encoders to send control changes.  Am I missing something?

The UFX has the potential to be a very powerful mixer for live use.  It is perfectly set up for feeding IEM systems, which more and more bands and live sound engineers are starting to use.  I hope RME sees this potential and takes steps to make it easier for more UFX features to be easily controlled via various midi controllers.  I have seen a large number of questions and requests about this general topic.  Total Mix is already amazing!  It just needs to be controlled more easily via midi to open up a large new market.

) I need to use Mackie Mode to control the UFX

That's news to me.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by neirbod 2011-08-23 15:24:04)

Matthias,

I am trying to figure this out, and fully admit I don't have all the answers.  From what I have read on this forum and in the manual, I thought Mackie mode was the preferred way to control the UFX.  If that is incorrect, as your message suggests, I would appreciate you informing me of other options.  Just suggesting my previous statement was wrong is not particularly helpful.

Thanks,

David

Yes, Mackie is the preferred way to use the BCF. I don't see where this implies that you must use Mackie protocol. Especially as all the CCs mentioned in our manual are not part of the Mackie protocol. The BCF is fully programmable and can be easily set up to spit out the CCs needed to move just the faders that you want.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by bsfreq 2011-08-24 22:57:58)

Hi David!

From my experience, if you want the BCF2000 to work well - with the faders responding to tmfx, - you should try to keep the controller in mackie control emulation mode. (not editable)
If you need to edit the mackie control commands you can do that with LcXmu (LC Xmu costs US $50.00)
It allows you to use multiple controllers (or just one) to emulate a real mackie controller and you can freely assign the buttons and faders.
Of course you're still limited to what the mackie control protocol can do with Total Mix. So no fader skipping(/disabling). At least not until RME comes up with a solution to organize or choose your controlled channels somehow. :-)

But for now.. (only if you want to go this far)

LcXmu also allows you to bypass any midi commands coming from your controller. (The BCF2000 still sends some type of midi commands even when in mackie emulation mode) and if you want, you could use Bome's Midi Translator  (59 Euros / approx. US$ 85 + conversion fee) to change the midi commands sent from BCF2000 to ones that control a specific fader or button in TMFX. (Direct output bus selection via midi etc.) Of course this costs a little extra, but for me this has been the only way to achieve my goal. Also it's always nice to support small companies that make good software.

For this to work, you have to make virtual midi ports and route both -  midi coming from LcXmu, and midi coming from Bome's MT - to the same virtual midi output (You can do this with Midi Patchbay - This one is free.) and choose it as the controller input in TotalMix preferences. Also you have to do the same to the midi coming out from TMFX to LcXmu, to get the feedback working.

---------------------
Best possible way is to use two (or more) controllers with LcXmu. I've got the BCF2000 (in mackie mode), and BCR2000 in basic midi mode. LcXmu provides a sysex file for the BCR that works very well. You get the led feedback for mackie controlled parameters. (for standard midi commands - bypassing LcXmu straight to TMFX -  the feedback naturally doesn't work.) You can also edit the BCR to send commands understood by TotalMix. Simply bypass them in LcXmu and route to the virtual port needed.

And to ease your work there's of course the MIDI Monitor (free also)
With this you can check what midi commands your controller sends..

-----------------------------------------

Something I've done with this setup:
(My setup only uses 8 stereo input channels (small mixes actually) that I've organized by routing thru adats. So I never have to move the channels left or right or between rows.)

-BCF controls 8 channels in mackie mode. Pans, volume, mute etc.. all feedback also goes to BCR at the same time if something is mapped to both.
-3 buttons in BCF change to submixes with effects. (two with mackie commands and one with basic midi -> changed the command with Bome's)
-one button triggers the trim mode for controlling volumes.
-I also got the "mackie arrow buttons", but I've reorganized them a little differently with LcXmu.

In BCR2000:
-One Row Controls volumes when trim mode on.
-One row controls reverb sends, and when I touch a knob, it simultaneously switches to the submix with reverb send levels. -> This was done with Bome's as well.
-One row controls delay and fx sends levels the same way as with reverb.
-4 buttons select sub mixes and trim mode the same way as with BCF.
-Of course the BCF faders also move when I use the BCR to control levels.

The only bad thing is that I get the same feedback to all - volume, reverb, and effects rows in BCR - This is because they all are controlled with the 8 available mackie channels and only the submix changes. If it would be possible to use midi to control faders in submixes that aren't currently selected, the setup would be a lot better. I wouldn't even need the feedback for effects if they didn't change with submixes.

Everything works very smoothly with my setup. No problems with midi panics or anything. And I've had this setup running for a couple of months now. But if you go for it, do it on your own risk. I just wanted to give some ideas and say what can be done if needed.

----------------------------------------------
Some of the available midi commands of TMFX in a basic format: (To me the hex commands were a little confusing at first.) HeadScratch

Row 1 Faders: (value 0-127)

AN 7-8 = ch1, cc 109

Mic 10 = ch 1 cc 111
Mic 11 = ch 1 cc 112
Mic 12 =ch 1 cc 113

AES EBU = ch1, cc 114 (B0 72 pp)

Row 2 Faders:
ADAT 13/14 = ch 6 cc 112-113
ADAT 15/16 = ch 6 cc 114

Output Bus Faders (0-127)

AN 1-2 = ch 9 cc 103
AN 3-4 = ch 9 cc 105

ADAT 3-4 = ch 10 cc 103
ADAT 5-6 = ch 10 cc 105
ADAT 7-8 = ch 10 cc 107  0-127

Phones 1 = ch 9 cc 110
Phones 2 = ch 9 cc 112

SELECT OUTPUT BUS:

AES = ch13 cc116 val 0-127

ADAT 1-2 = ch14 cc 102 val 0-127
ADAT 3-4 = ch14 cc 104 val 0-127
ADAT 5-6 = ch14 cc 106 val 0-127
ADAT 7-8 = ch14 cc 108 val 0-127
ADAT 9-10 = ch14 cc 110 val 0-127
ADAT11-12 = ch14 cc 112 val 0-127
ADAT 13-14 = ch14 cc 114 val 0-127 
ADAT 15-16 = ch14 cc 116 val 0-127 

PH9/10 = ch13 cc112 val 0-127
PH11-12 = ch13 cc114 val 0-127

trim gains = ch 13 cc102  (BC 66 00)

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Seems like this would be easier handled by RME wink

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman... wrote:

Seems like this would be easier handled by RME wink

Haha! True that indeed.   :-)

PS - VERY nice workaround however! http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb265/JOHNEMENEL/GIF/2thumbsUP.gif

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

11 (edited by neirbod 2011-08-25 13:42:35)

Bsfreq,

Thank you for the *very*through description of possible work-arounds!  I have to say, though, that all of these options seem pretty overwhelming.  Seems like a lot of time and effort just to learn how to set this all up.  I like the concept of using LcXmu to run an editable version of the Mackie control emulation.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be set up for the BCF2000 (which I use), just the BCR2000.

While I appreciate Matthias' observation that Mackie emulation is just recommended, not required, to run the UFX, I have had no luck using the BCF2000 with anything other than Mackie mode.  I am sure someone smarter than I could program the unit in its native mode, but I have no interest wrestling with this as I would rather focus on music.  Hopefully some combination of RME, a third party developer, and generous users can come up with an elegant solution to help guys like me who just want to easily use a midi controller and make a few edits to encoders to control the UFX the way that makes the most sense for their particular situation.

I really do appreciate the info.  Thanks again.

David

12 (edited by bsfreq 2011-08-25 16:50:26)

neirbod wrote:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be set up for the BCF2000 (which I use), just the BCR2000.

Actually LcXmu fully supports the BCF2000 in mackie control mode. (Also in midi mode, but there are some problems with the feedback to motor faders.) - I know for sure, cause I'm using it right now. :-) As I mentioned, I'm using both BCF2000 and BCR2000 with LcXmu.

From LcXmu you can setup your BCF to directly select different submixes, or trim mode etc.. Everything available with mackie ctrl.But with submix selection you're limited to the 8 channels currently selected in TotalMix! (and you have to link the in and outputs from tmfx preferences)
So for example when you have the 8 adat stereochannels (1-16) selected in the input row. Selecting submix 1 from controller, selects the output bus assigned to adat out 1-2. If you move one channel left with the "arrow buttons", your submix 1  now becomes the aes output, and submix 2 becomes the adat out 1-2 and so on..

LcXmu setup with the BCF2000 is actually really easy although the manual might seem quite confusing.
But then again, LcXmu (alone) only gives you flexibility to mackie control and none of the added features available thru simple midi commands.

13 (edited by neirbod 2011-08-25 18:03:48)

bsfreq wrote:

From LcXmu you can setup your BCF to directly select different submixes, or trim mode etc.. Everything available with mackie ctrl.But with submix selection you're limited to the 8 channels currently selected in TotalMix! (and you have to link the in and outputs from tmfx preferences)
So for example when you have the 8 adat stereochannels (1-16) selected in the input row. Selecting submix 1 from controller, selects the output bus assigned to adat out 1-2. If you move one channel left with the "arrow buttons", your submix 1  now becomes the aes output, and submix 2 becomes the adat out 1-2 and so on..

Unless I am missing something, this is exactly how the BCF2000 works in Mackie mode without using the LcMxu, and is the issue I am trying to get around.  I can already select submixes directly from the inout row, I just can't select submixes on a different page without using the arrow buttons to switch between pages.

neirbod wrote:

Unless I am missing something, this is exactly how the BCF2000 works in Mackie mode without using the LcMxu, and is the issue I am trying to get around.  I can already select submixes directly from the inout row, I just can't select submixes on a different page without using the arrow buttons to switch between pages.

Oh yeah! That's true! I didn't remember that you could do that with the shift button. I needed a one button operation to easily select the buses while playing, so I haven't been using the shift buttons for a while now.. My bad. Probably LcXmu would be unnecessary for you then.

If you want to select the buses freely, one way would be to get a cheap programmable midi controller with enough buttons. Then make virtual ports with the free midi patchbay program to make totalmix fx see your controllers as one. Then just route the midi output from totalmix to BCF and not to the other controller. Sorry if I'm unclear.. I'm a little tired right now. cool

bsfreq wrote:

If you want to select the buses freely, one way would be to get a cheap programmable midi controller with enough buttons. Then make virtual ports with the free midi patchbay program to make totalmix fx see your controllers as one. Then just route the midi output from totalmix to BCF and not to the other controller. Sorry if I'm unclear.. I'm a little tired right now. cool

Bsfreq,

Thanks for the additional info and your overall helpful attitude.  Unfortunately, I don't think the virtual patchbay idea will work as my goal is to use the UFX in standalone mode (i.e., no computer) with a midi controller for live mixing.  If I have a computer connected, the easier thing to do is just open TM and click with a mouse.

Seems like for now I just need to work with the BCF2000 in Mackie mode and accept its limitations.

Cheers,

David

You're welcome. smile

neirbod wrote:

my goal is to use the UFX in standalone mode

Ok, for some reason I assumed you were using the usb connection. :-)

If you're using midi cables, the same should be possible by just connecting the midi out from BCF2000 to the midi in of another controller, turn on the midi thru on that one, then connect midi out/thru cable from the second controller to the midi in of your interface.
Then simply connect the midi out from the interface to your BCF for the mackie feedback. Simple but that should work.

Again, it's up to you to deside if you want to buy another controller just to add the basic midi funtions to your setup.

Good idea. I will think about that.  Carrying around and hooking up another piece of gear is not my preference, but it may still be worth it.

bsfreq wrote:

If it would be possible to use midi to control faders in submixes that aren't currently selected, the setup would be a lot better.

THIS! I'm looking to set up an easy way to control multiple IEM mixes from one controller (for example the BCR2000). If I could do this, my life would be much easier!

bsfreq wrote:

-One row controls reverb sends, and when I touch a knob, it simultaneously switches to the submix with reverb send levels. -> This was done with Bome's as well.

Regarding this, I'm thinking I could do the same thing for my IEM mixes. Effectively each rotary would have to send both the submix selection MIDI command, along with the actual fader movement command for the desired fader. Is this how you do it? So the submix midi command ends up getting sent over and over as you move the fader CC along it's path? Does this cause TMFX to freak out at all?

This may be my solution. What would be the best software to do this in OS X?

pianogineer wrote:

Effectively each rotary would have to send both the submix selection MIDI command, along with the actual fader movement command for the desired fader. Is this how you do it?

Yes, exactly.

pianogineer wrote:

So the submix midi command ends up getting sent over and over as you move the fader CC along it's path? Does this cause TMFX to freak out at all?

No, not at all.

pianogineer wrote:

This may be my solution. What would be the best software to do this in OS X?

Bome's midi translator

20 (edited by pianogineer 2012-01-10 18:42:19)

Thanks bsfreq. In exploring this option a little further, I'm wondering if what I want to do will work. My main concern is that the LED rings won't light up on the rotary encoders (which is a requirement for me).

I'm trying to set up my band's monitor mixes. What I want to do is have a unique output mix mapped to each row of the BCR, with each rotary being a different input. I don't want to use Mackie, as I want to control non-sequential inputs easily (and I need all my ADAT's so I can't re-route things through those).

So, I'm hoping to use the standard midi commands and like you, simply send both the output submix selection command along with the input fader command for every rotary (via Bome's Translator). While I know there will be no feedback, I'm hoping that since I'm not paging around or anything like that, the last sent fader value will always match TMFX's current state, so that won't be an issue. Obviously I'll have to line everything up (by zero'ing each rotary) at the beginning of a session, but from there my thought is that everything should just line up.

My question is -- will the LED ring even light up at all if it's not getting any feedback from TMFX? I guess I'm a little confused by your setup, and how you use Mackie for the BCR to get feedback (ie why would you need feedback if you're never changing what function any particular rotary represents?). I don't think I'll need LC Xmu for this task, but maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks for all your helpful descriptions in this thread. Very enlightening!

pianogineer wrote:

I'm hoping that since I'm not paging around or anything like that, the last sent fader value will always match TMFX's current state, so that won't be an issue. Obviously I'll have to line everything up (by zero'ing each rotary) at the beginning of a session, but from there my thought is that everything should just line up.

Actually you don't have to zero each rotary separately. The rotary positions are saved with the presets in BCR. (you can store up to 32 different presets, each one having different settings and knob positions) and in TMFX simply save one workspace (or snapshot) for each BCR preset that have the same fader positions. Then just load your TMFX workspace and BCR preset, and you're ready to start tweaking. cool

The BCR also remembers the knob positions when flipping through presets as long as you don't turn off the power. So you can easily control something from another preset in BCR and return back without messing up the positions.

pianogineer wrote:

My question is -- will the LED ring even light up at all if it's not getting any feedback from TMFX?

The led ring behaviour is controlled by the BCR - independent from totalmix - so yes, You can set each rotary knob to either show or hide the led ring. (actually there are multiple led ring modes available, also for pan type control etc.)

pianogineer wrote:

I guess I'm a little confused by your setup, and how you use Mackie for the BCR to get feedback (ie why would you need feedback if you're never changing what function any particular rotary represents?). I don't think I'll need LC Xmu for this task, but maybe I'm missing something?

No, you probably won't need LcXmu for your setup. I need the feedback because I'm using two controllers while playing live, and some of the knobs are doing the same thing on both of them. Without feedback, tweaking something on one controller would loose sync on the other, and I can't have this..

pianogineer wrote:

Thanks for all your helpful descriptions in this thread.

Happy to help. :-)

bsfreq wrote:

The BCR also remembers the knob positions when flipping through presets as long as you don't turn off the power. So you can easily control something from another preset in BCR and return back without messing up the positions.

Ahh... that's REALLY cool and good to know! Looking forward to trying this on my UFX... it's in for service right now but will certainly be trying this out when it returns. I have a BCF2000 now, and if I can prove that it'll do what I want, I'll pick up a BCR2000.

On a somewhat related note... have you been successful using B-CONTROL EDIT on Mac OS? Everything seems to run ok on mine, but any time I scan for the device, it either crashes the program, or doesn't detect the BCF2000. Other applications seem to be able to talk to the BCF just fine. Seems like for detailed setups like this that software is virtually a necessity...

pianogineer wrote:

have you been successful using B-CONTROL EDIT on Mac OS?

No, I tried it once, but couldn't get it to work. LcXmu manual actually states that you really shouldn't count on that peace of software. Use manual edit and SysEx Librarian instead. Of course, if you can save the templates with b-c-edit, you could then use the sysex librarian to transfer them to BCR.

I made one template, saved it on multiple preset slots on BCR and tweaked the settings as I needed. It's a shame the editor doesn't work, but it's actually quite fast to edit from the BCR itself, when you know how it works. And of course you only have to do it once. :-)