Topic: HDSPe Card, Multiface and Cubase 5 Compatibility

First post - long time Multiface user. 

Previously I was running a Multiface I on a PC with XP using a PCI card and Cubase 5 with no problems.  I upgraded to a Windows 7 PC which required a HDSPe PCI Card to use the Multiface.  At first install of Cubase everything opens up fine, but after installing the PCIe Card and latest WMD Driver Cubase gets hung up on "Initializing: All MIDI Inputs" and will not open.  If I un-install the WMD driver, Cubase opens right up, but the RME  interface is not available as a VST Connection.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Cubase and the RME drivers and nothing works.  Is there a known compatibility issue with the latest WMD drivers and Cubase 5?  I have read posts from other users on forums regarding the same message with other devices and Cubase which suggests it may be on Steinberg's end.  I have sent the same inquiry to Steinberg support as well.   

The RME interface is installed correctly and all drivers are up to date.  Please offer any suggestions you may have to resolve this issue. 

HDSPe PCI Card
Multiface I
Gateway PC DX- 4860
Intel Core i5-2320 3.0GHz
Windows 7
64-bit Operating System
8GB Ram
Cubase 5 64-bit ver. 5.5.3

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Re: HDSPe Card, Multiface and Cubase 5 Compatibility

It's WDM (Windows Driver Model), not WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction). :-)

Try trashing your Steinberg App Data folder.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi,
Thi sounds like your ASIO?WDM settings are messed up which can happen when switching to different interfaces or drivers.

Just cut and paste the ASIO folder located in the Steinberg directory to your desktop and then launch Cubase and set the ASIO driver to ASIO HDSP driver. The close Cubase and then put the ASIO folder back into the Steinberg folder.

For 32 bit Cubase
C:\Program Files(x86)\Steinberg
For 64 bit Cubase
C:\Program Files\Steinberg

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

4 (edited by Digitalink2 2012-02-19 23:20:36)

I trashed the Cubase App Data and have relocated the Cubase ASIO Folder to the desktop but have had no luck with either.  Cubase will not open with the RME card "enabled."  When it is "disabled" Cubase will open right up and I can select the RME as the ASIO driver but get this error "hsdpf init failed."  The most recent drivers are installed from the RME site.  Any further suggestions are appreciated.

Hi,
Do you have your on board audio enabled?
Have you tested this in another ASIO application?
I would try something like Reaper.
Have you tried using the RME card for playing back stuff in Windows Media player or Itunes?
Do you have any USB MIDI devices or other sound devices installed?

We need to confirm that the RME card is working with other apps not just Cubase to see if there some compatibility with your Gateway system or a problem with the RME hardware or it;s installation.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Digitalink2 wrote:

Cubase gets hung up on "Initializing: All MIDI Inputs" and will not open.

You know that you have to wait up to 1 minute at that screen?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried to use the HDSPe card as the default player for Windows Media and also with Sonar 8 but it doesn't work in any case.  Then I plug the Multiface back in to the old PCI card on the Windows XP computer and it runs perfectly.  Could the driver for the Multiface be conflicting with the PCIe card?  Is anyone out there using the Multiface I with the HDSPe card and Cubase 5 on a Windows 7 machine?  Please let me know if you experienced anything like this upon initial set up.

@ Chris - no other MIDI devices connected. 

@ Matthias - I have left it running for an hour to see if it will resolve, but it does not.

Thank you for all your suggestions.  I know we can get this resolved and things will be great again. :-)

Hi,
Exactly which model of the DX4860? There are 11 models.
The gateway site give no useful information about the system.
How many PCI-e slots and what format are they, i.e., 1x, 16, 8x, 4x?
Are you using the built in Intel HD Graphics of the ATI video card?
What size power supply does your model have?

Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Hi,

I am having exactly the same issue as Digitalink.  As soon as I install the wdm driver, cubase 5 only gets to the part where it says "Initializing: All MIDI Inputs" and then just hangs.  I have been looking for a solution for a while but no success so far.

Here is some more Information that might help,

I installed RME HDSPe RayDAT PCIe interface on a newly purchased Dell Tower

Inspiron 620 MT   
Processors    Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor(6MB Cache, 3.0GHz)
Memory    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2 DIMMs
Video Card    Intel® HD Graphics

Power supply:  300 Watts

I would greatly appreciate anyone willing to help me resolve this issue.

@ EdwardT - were you able to resolve your issue?  If so, please let me know how.  I have basically put my studio on hold for now. 

@ Chris Ludwig - here is a little more information about my computer.

Gateway PC DX- 4860
Intel Core i5-2320 3.0GHz
Video Card: Intel HD graphics
3 PCIe slots 1x  and one 16x video
300W power supply

I hope this helps, thanks.

Have the same problem. The "All midi inputs" issue seems not to be unique. Any news?

bongonuts wrote:

Have the same problem. The "All midi inputs" issue seems not to be unique. Any news?

What kind of set up are you using?  I'm trying to detect a pattern.