Topic: Assign Mains to mono output for FOH work?

Hello,

I am working on setting up Total Mix with my UFX to use for mixing FOH and foldback for live concerts.  I would like to be able to assign my Mains in the control room section to mono output AN 1.  I will be using TouchOSC to mix, but in the event anything goes wrong with the wifi connection it would be nice to be able to use the large encoder on the UFX to control the FOH levels.  I am usin AN 2 for foldback, so having the Mains assigned to AN 1/2 would mean the encoder controls both the FOH and stage mix levels, which I do not want to do.   

Similarly, it would be great to assign "Phones 1"" to AN 2 so I can use the encoder to also control the foldback levels.  Even better if I can rename these "control room" names so I can tailor them however works best (e.g., FOH, Foldback #1, Foldback #2)

Is this possible?  If not, could such a feature be included in a future update?

While I am making requests, I would like to reiterate on that I (and some others) made previously - to have an option for send levels to follow a specific submix, not not just whichever is highest.

Thank you!

Re: Assign Mains to mono output for FOH work?

Hello,

TM FX has been designed for stereo mains and I expect no change with that. The obvious workaround here is to not use the other analog output, just ignore it. Free naming will not be avaible due to missing resources in the unit itself.

About the send level - can you give me a real-world example why it would be better to have a different method? And one where such a method would not break the method itself immediately? The current one is the only one which guarantees that the level control is usable, no matter where any of the current send-level gains is set to. This is a post feature that controls all gains in a relative way. Using a ref that is much lower than others will make those gains go through the roof quickly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Assign Mains to mono output for FOH work?

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my delayed response.  I gave this more thought, and I now see that the real issue I am having is not how the effects send tracks the submixes. It is instead due to the fact there is only a single effect send for all submixes.   

Here is an example of the issue I am having.  If I am running a live show I may want to mic a snare drum and put some reverb on it in the FOH mix.  If the stage is small, I may not need any snare in the monitors at all so I would have the fader on the monitor submix pulled all the way down.  But, since there is just a single effects send the monitor mix will have the same snare reverb as the FOH mix.  I know I could reduce the effects return to the monitor submix, but I may want some reverb on other instruments in the monitor mix. 

Ideally, there would be more than one effects send for each channel - one for FOH, one for a monitor send. Maybe this is too much to expect, but it could not hurt to ask!

Cheers,

David