Topic: Setting Up the UFX with a Dangerous D-Box for Analogue Summing

HI,

I am setting up a UFX with a Dangerous D-Box for analogue summing, and I am running into a problem.

I am using the 8 analogue outputs of the UFX in pairs to go out to the D-Box (1-2,3-4, etc.), then using input 1-2 to come in with the summed stereo signal, and them using AES 13-14 as my main monitor outs to go to the D-Box and monitors.

I re-routed the volume pot output for the main outs to ADAT 1-2, so that analogue 1-2 in a normal analogue output.

In Logic, I routed the same way, 1 bus for each output pair (drum stem, gtr stem, etc.) and a return track with input from 1-2 (the summed signal) and output to 13-14.

The problem is the UFX is still somehow sending the main output that is supposed to be on output 13-14 to output 1-2 as well.  Could this be a Totalmix issue?  I have tried what I thought was every routing, but I am still having the same issue.

Could it be a firmware thing?  I haven't updated in a while.  Also, my studio is not online, I transport my iMac to my house to do all the updates, so do I need to take the UFX as well, or can the new drivers be loaded and then updated to the UFX later.

Lastly, the D-Box and UFX are not syncing via AES, so maybe this has something to do with it?

Thanks for any help!!!

Re: Setting Up the UFX with a Dangerous D-Box for Analogue Summing

Hi

Be sure to configure TotalMix so that your Main Output is AES 13-14 and plug that into the "DAW" input of the D-Box.

You are returning with input 1-2 into Logic, which goes to Master Output 13-14.
Make sure that in TotalMix (Software Playback Row in the Middle) channels 13-14 only go to output 13-14.
Use "submix view" in TotalMix: that way you can click on your output (13-14 lowest row) and set 13-14 in medium row to unity gain.

I'm not getting why you would want to make ADAT 1-2 your main outputs. Just use AES 13-14 as your main output.

Not being familiar with Logic, I can't tell you about the monitoring. Just make sure that the return track is armed for
recording, monitoring switched on and in solo-safe mode (so that you still hear your mix if you solo any other tracks)

Hope that helps,
frank

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch