1 (edited by DanRand 2012-12-18 14:39:35)

Topic: Fireface UFX - Compatibility with Little Bustard Summing Mixer

I am looking to add a Thermionic Culture Little Bustard summing mixer to the outputs/inputs of a Fireface UCX, with the outputs of the Little Bustard coming back into the UCX.

The Little Bustard summing mixer is unbalanced with pins 1 & 3 tied to ground on both the inputs and outputs.

Can anyone tell me if the inputs and outputs on the UCX are compatible with the Little Bustard?  Will tying pins 1 & 3 to ground on both inputs and outputs cause any damage to the UCX?  Am I likely to get any level loss?  Or noise/hum?

Also, will standard BALANCED 1/4 inch jack to XLR cables be OK?

I hope you can help me.  I'm a little confused about the whole balanced/unbalanced, pins 1 & 3 tied to ground thing!!

Thanks,

Danno

Logic 9.1.8 (1700.67) (32-bit) - OS X Lion 10.7.5
Digiface <-> [Fireface UCX & Prism Orpheus - ADAT]

2 (edited by MichaelPatrick 2012-12-19 14:46:35)

Re: Fireface UFX - Compatibility with Little Bustard Summing Mixer

The manual says:
The Fireface has eight balanced Line inputs as 1/4" TRS jacks on the back of the unit. The electronic input stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly, automatically adjusting the level reference. (p40)

The short circuit protected, low impedance line outputs of channels 3 to 8 are available as 1/4" TRS jacks on the back of the unit. The electronic output stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly. (p41)

Thanks for that Michael.

From that, I think I can conclude that the Little Bustard won't damage the UCX's output stage.

But I'm still not sure whether I'll get any level loss.  And which cables I should use.

4 (edited by isaac 2012-12-20 06:49:24)

MichaelPatrick wrote:

The manual says:
The Fireface has eight balanced Line inputs as 1/4" TRS jacks on the back of the unit. The electronic input stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly, automatically adjusting the level reference. (p40)

The short circuit protected, low impedance line outputs of channels 3 to 8 are available as 1/4" TRS jacks on the back of the unit. The electronic output stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly. (p41)

So yes it compensates and yes mono jacks are fine.

Isaac P

5 (edited by DanRand 2012-12-20 15:17:31)

Sorry, should have been more clear.

I'm referring to level loss on the balanced outputs, due to the unbalanced XLR inputs on the Bustard having pins 1 & 3 tied to ground.

Also, the Little Bustard only has unbalanced XLR inputs.  How would I wire mono jacks to an unbalanced XLR, remembering that pins 1 & 3 are tied to ground?  I thought I could just use balanced TRS to XLR from the UCX's outputs?

When the manual refers to short circuit protected, does that refer to situations such as where pins 1 & 3 are tied to ground on the Bustard?

A little confused...

Thanks.