Topic: NEED HELP with M/S Recording

HI,

Can somebody please explain to me exactly how to utilize the M/S mode in Fireface UFX.  I fully understand the principles, but am not at all clear on what totalmix is doing when this mode is enabled... Here is my setup:

MIC/LINE Input 9 - Supercardiod AKG 414
MIC/LINE Input 10 - Figure-8 AKG 414

Under 'Settings' in Totalmix, for Channel 9:

1) I select 'STEREO', which then causes Channel10 to disappear (folding into 9 to create the 'stereo' channel)
2) I select MS PROC
3) I select phase-invert R

Now, when I setup my DAW (Logic 9 ) to record this stereo input... where is my MONO MID channel?  I assume it is on the LEFT of the totalmix stereo output.  How then do I split up the RIGHT channel of the totalmix stereo output to split into a stereo channel in Logic.  I could do it the old-fashioned way, split the channel, phase-invert one side, etc.--BUT then what is the MS Proc actually doing in totalmix if I have to still set it up the old-fashioned way?

Very confused... and need help ASAP!  Hoping to record later this afternoon!

Cheers,
amb

Re: NEED HELP with M/S Recording

Follow up:

I now believe what is happening is the matrixing is happening inside totalmix.  The stereo output IS the final M/S signal (L=m+s; R=m-s).  I was especially curious as to how the "Width" pot affected the sound as it travels from -1 to 1, unlike in other digital M/S decoder/encoders (eg. Logic) which only go from 0-1.  In the end I ended doing the M/S enc/dec in Logic as it was clearer what was happening, but in doing so I think I figured out exactly what was happening in totalmix.