Topic: Change in levelling from flash?

I just switched over to the HDSPe card from the PCI card and while I was at it  flashed the firmware on my Multiface. For some reason on this new system, I find that my tracking levels are a lot hotter.

I'm recording stuff with the exact same hardware and settings (I leave them set permanently) and it's tracking at about 10db higher than usual, but 10db is only a guess.

Was there something in the firmware that set the levels differently, or is there some new setting where you can change the input levels like on the fireface (+4, -10 etc)?

2 (edited by thared33 2013-11-25 10:18:09)

Re: Change in levelling from flash?

Also, isn't the Multiface set up where if you plug a TRS cable into inputs 1, 3, 5, and 7, as well as the odd-numbered adat inputs, it will mirror that input on the even-numbered channels? That's what TotalMix is showing me. I was thinking it might have been summing the two channels or something and that would explain the increase.

There is no firmware on the MF to be flashed. The setting is on the unit if it's the MF2.
There is also no channel mirroring, what exactly is it you see?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I downloaded this little file to flash the firmware from the RME site. Maybe it was for the HDSPe card and not the Multiface?

What I mean is like, if I plug a preamp output into channel 1 of the Multiface, I'll see both channel 1+2 meters acting in unison even though I've only got something going into channel 1.

Are we talking about the first row in TotalMix, the input channels? Did you perform a cold reboot after the firmware flash? Is the system set to 96 kHz and only partially set to that rate?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Right, it's the inputs that are doing the mirroring. I got the same thing with my old Presonus box. They told me it's supposed to do that so I'm wondering if RME did the same thing.

I rebooted and it's still the same thing. I'm not sure what you mean by 'partially' set to that rate, but I've got mine set to 44.1khz currently.

If the hardware is set to work at 48 in the Settings dialog, but the software seems to be working at 96 then errors like this might happen (S/MUX not active). But I haven't seen that for a long time. What is your current driver version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thared33 wrote:

What I mean is like, if I plug a preamp output into channel 1 of the Multiface, I'll see both channel 1+2 meters acting in unison even though I've only got something going into channel 1.

Where do you see this, at the input as such (top row)?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

If the hardware is set to work at 48 in the Settings dialog, but the software seems to be working at 96 then errors like this might happen (S/MUX not active). But I haven't seen that for a long time. What is your current driver version?

The sample rate is set to 44100hz in the HDSPe settings. On the About tab it says version 3.07 and the Multiface revision is Rev .20.

Actually, I'm more concerned about the increase in level. For some reason things just seem louder or higher in level now. Humph.