1 (edited by whitingt 2014-01-02 17:59:58)

Topic: Ideas for Analog Out 9652 Cubase 7.5 issues and Firestudio 2626

I really struggle with my DAW which has grown/evolved over the years.  A year ago I swapped my 3 Delta 1010's for a RME HDSP 9652 running Cubase.  Windows 7 64 system.  Using Allen & Heath Mixwizard patched into a pair of Digimax LTs and Drums directly into a Digimax D8.  All those into the 9652 via optical connectors.  Everything is synched to HDSP 9652 internal clock and distributed via a Lucid GENx6 to all units.  I was also using a Presonus Firestudio 2626 for monitoring.  FS2626 is connected via firewire to PC with signal coming from 9652 and analog outputs from FS2626 into active monitors.   I had a nice stable system.  Then I upgraded to Cubase 7.5.  I was not getting stereo output, although iTunes played back fine in stereo.  So I went through PC settings, Cubase settings, RME mixer settings, and Firestudio settings.  I managed to get it to work, but every time I re-boot the computer I have the same problem and have to re-do settings.  Frustrating. 

I believe the problem is having to select a generic setting versus the HDSP settings for playback.  So.... I am now considering scrapping the Firestudio2626 so I can do everything directly through the HDSP 9652. 

My long winded questions is... would the cheapest, easiest and most reliable solution be to just buy an RME AO4S-192 expansion card?  It won't take up a PC slot and will give me 4 outputs and lock with the 9652 and RME mixer software.  I can plug these directly into my active monitors.  I can pick one up for between $200 and $300.  Does anyone else have such a setup?  Or is anyone using a Firestudio2626 with suggested settings that are stable (versus spending another couple hundred bucks)?

Thanks.  Looking forward to getting back to tracking music.  Thanks in advance for your responses.  Happy New Year!

p.s. I kept at this and am able to get Cubase 7.5 to play stereo output but must change the VST Audio AISO devices every time.  The generic AISO driver doesn't play in stereo.  The 9652 doesn't play in stereo but shows all the inputs mapped correctly and captures properly, when I switch to the Presonus AISO I get stereo output but lose all my 9652 inputs.  I suppose toggling between the two is a work around, but would prefer to have everything on same AISO.

Re: Ideas for Analog Out 9652 Cubase 7.5 issues and Firestudio 2626

If you have a second computer, you could run the firestudio on that one and use it as a AD/DA (or does it run standalone too?). I have a really old PC on which I have installed an EMU1212m (which I sometimes use for FX while tracking) and a Tascam FW1804 for extra inputs when needed (this one needs a computer to work too).
These and an ADI8, are all connected to my HDSP9652.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

I do have a second computer at the same workstation and suppose could try that.  What I should really do is get everything on the same RME platform so I can just use the RME TotalMix.  I'm a bit confused about the RME AO4S-192 card though and not sure it will work with the HDSP 9652.  Does anyone have that configuration? I also have a line on an RME HDSP Multiface and wondering if that might be an alternate way to go.  Thanks again for replies.  Best, Tim

Another thought... could I just use the HDSP 9652 SPDIF output and a simple A/D converter like one of these connected to my active monitors? 

From Parts Express: http://www.parts-express.com/digital-to … mpaign=pla 

From B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … ;A=details

Yes of course.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Okay, so after many hours of trial and error and process of elimination, it turns out the issue was not with the Cubase 7.5 routing, or my RME HDSP 9652 (not surprising as the thing has been rock solid) and the issue was with the Presonus Firestudio2626 which was not running properly.  The issue was my firewire drivers.  The solution was to change the firewire driver to a legacy version.  Below are the steps.  I did have to configure some setting in the Presonus Universal Control, but I am now able to use the ASIO device setting in Cubase for the HDSP 9652 and get stereo output to the FS2626.

Setting 1394 Driver to Legacy
Go to: Start-Control Panel-Device Manager-double click IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers-right click the driver-update driver-Browse my computer for driver software-Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer-select the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)-Install the driver and restart the computer.  Firestudio2626 loaded.  I have to credit the forum on the Presonus site www.forums.presonus.com  It was also noted that if using a FS2626 that you should go to the task manager and open the Presonus Universal Control icon, check settings and CHECK FIRMWARE and update the firmware (be careful not to power down the unit while the firmware update is running).  After firmware installation you needed to power down and back on the FS2626 for the firmware to become active. 

Anyway, that solves today's issue.  I wanted to post my particular solution should anyone have a similar issue.  I'm just happy to get this running properly again and hope to get some more life out of my current setup.

I do have to say that as part of this process I really had trouble determining how to get analog output from the HDSP 9652 to my active monitors.  I wanted a balanced input into these monitors either XLR or TRS and the challenge was how to get from the HDSP 9652 SPDIF or ADAT output to XLR or TRS at a reasonable cost .  From all I read, you can not simply add on an AO4S-192 card to the HDSP 9652 without disconnecting the ADAT connection -- not an option for me since I am already using the ADAT expansion card.  And the AEB card (with 4 TRS outs) does not work with the 9652.  Alternatively I could add another HDSP card for the AO4S-192 but I don't have the extra slots in my PC and that is an awfully expensive option.  It seems the only solution to go from TOSLINK or SPDIF to XLR is through a Digital Analog Converter or buy active speakers with SPDIF connection.  Since I already own and enjoy mixing on some nice Haflers and Yamaha HS8's that was not an option .  The cheapest stand alone DAC (other than the flimsy SPDIF to RCA units previously listed in this thread) is the Behringer ADA8000.  Behringer more recently came out with the ADA8200 with improved preamps for around $350 US  (supposedly "designed by" MIDAS who they now own) so this could be used for inputs as well (although my prior history with Behringer weighs heavily on avoiding their gear). Other options were the Presonus Central Station monitoring system $600 US but given my prior issues with Presonus that did not look promising. And many forums have been critical od this unit coloring the sound (like a wet blanket).  Another option I found was the TEAC UDH01 http://www.teac.com/product/ud-h01/ which looks to have quality guts and can be picked up around $300 US.  The other option was the SM Pro ADDA 192-s (which is discontinued and used ones on Ebay are +$300 US).  Anyway, I thought I would post this info in the event anyone else may find it useful.  At some point I do want to drop-kick the FIrestudio2626 and I am always open to some other solutions.  Cheers.  -Tim

I used an AEB 4O card (with 4 TRS outs) in the past on my hdsp9652, but replaced it with a ADI 8. So I think that would still work.

Vincent, Amsterdam