Re: Hardware Alert: FireWire solutions with Agere FW chip

The same for me; no problems. I recorded some tracks in garage band and played back loops and stuff in logic. everything works perfectly. still haven't recorded in logic (just switched from cubase, so still don't know how to record in logic) but I think it's gonna work aswell.

fireface 800 imac24/2,8GHz/4GB/1TB

so, the FF800 seems to have no problem to get working with these workarounds. The FF400 seems to be more problematic, somebody has got it working with the imac 20", but has anyone got a FF400 and imac 24" working together????

My FF400 is working fine with my 24" iMac. I'm running a Firewire 800 cable to a Hard Drive - from there I run a FW400 cable to a hub where I plug in the FF400.
No problems at all. (all is fine in boot camp too)

FireFace 400, iMac 2.8 GHz 24"- 2G memory, many different HDs...

ok, very nice! So there is hope....

davidjhardy wrote:

My FF400 is working fine with my 24" iMac. I'm running a Firewire 800 cable to a Hard Drive - from there I run a FW400 cable to a hub where I plug in the FF400.
No problems at all. (all is fine in boot camp too)

FireFace 400, iMac 2.8 GHz 24"- 2G memory, many different HDs...

can you still tell what brand and model of hd you have, and does it work with all your harddrives?

astroschnautzer - I have a LaCie 250G three port HD (800,400,USB) and a Belkin Firewire Hub (6 FW400 ports and is powered).
Yes, all my drives and the FF400 work through that hub.
I am running Leopard 10.5.1
Hope this helps.

davidjhardy wrote:

astroschnautzer - I have a LaCie 250G three port HD (800,400,USB) and a Belkin Firewire Hub (6 FW400 ports and is powered).
Yes, all my drives and the FF400 work through that hub.
I am running Leopard 10.5.1
Hope this helps.

ok, thank you!

58 (edited by Todd 2007-12-20 00:22:30)

...........RME speaking. We have fixed the problem. What's more, the FireFace hardware will now automatically update itself every year. For free. And we will be compensating you by sending you $1,000,000.........

*Wakes up*
wink

Regards,
Todd Lawton

I'm in the market for a new soundcard and while i'd prefer a HDSPe 9632 they don't seem to be coming any time soon so a fireface 400 looked like a good idea.  However the firewire on my motherboard is implemented using the agere chipset.  Has anyone tried this combination on windows vista?

thanks
  Kumaran

Hello Maccers. Is there any news yet from Apple s part? Last week I decided to drop 1700 euros on the new iMac 24" and now Im shopping for a firewire audio device ... and I came across this nastyness. Damn you Mr. Macintosh grrr ...... lol

Anyway, apart from this read, I have no prblems whatsoever with this brand new computer. I am currently capturing video through the FW400 port (largest video size) and brwosing the rme forum and I have no problems. None.
I pressed APPLE + S after boot and this came up as listed: firewire (OHCI) lucent id 5901
My iMac came with Leopard, 1GB ram, 320gb hd, 2.4 proc and 24" screen. Do I have the Agere chipset? Or the Texas Instruments?

I am currently deciding wheter to get the FF400, the Apogee Duet or a Motu 828 ... I already have a Multiface II with cardbus II so I can use that as an AD for the Motu for example via ADAT

PS: The Panasonic NV-GS11 Mini DV camcorder connects directly to the FW400 port on the iMac. No driver. No hassle. All working VERY fine. Is there any chance I am not infected by the Agere issue? Even though it looks like I do have that poor chipset.
I bought this apple to be compatible with hardware and to have no stress. so I can just make tunes without too much latency. this is also my very first Mac. -sad-

Hi,

check last post in this thread
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp … ID=1075923

regards S-EH

62 (edited by Yhtomit 2007-12-28 15:38:14)

S-E Hansson wrote:

Hi,

check last post in this thread
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp … ID=1075923

regards S-EH

Hansson!
Cool man thx for the link. Ive done that already though but its nice to know this might help. Im going to buy the Apogee Duet later this day :-) LETS HOPE IT WORKS......

Hello,

I have a new imac C2D and a FF400, the problem of compatibility is known and regrettably I have this problem.

A hub would be enough for worked ?

Hi Folks,

For those that don't want to deal with Boot Camp, Windoze, etc., there's a much easier way to tell which chipset you have: boot the Mac in single user mode by holding down Command (the "Apple key") and 'S' while booting (just after the startup tone).  There will be a line about your firewire chipset; if it indicates "TI" then you've got a Texas Instruments controller as opposed to the newer Agere.

I thought my new MacBook Pro was one of those affected based on problems with other audio interfaces (Presonus, Echo) - haven't tried my FF800 with it yet as it's my main studio interface (on my G5 tower).  Anyway, my MB Pro is one of the "hybrids" that has the GeForce 8600M GT graphics board AND the older/better TI Firewire controller.

So, not sure what that means - I may just have a funky logic board.  Oh joy - I get to schedule an appointment with a "genius" at the Apple Store ;-(

Hope this helps someone!

Jim Daneker
www.whinecellarstudio.com

Jim Daneker
2008 8-core Mac Pro/16GB RAM/10.6.7/Logic 9.1.4/FF800

Hello,
this link seems to be offline ( the root website as well).
Is there anyone who knows where they have gone or how to get this app ?

thanks,
luca
www.unguitar.com

S-E Hansson wrote:

Hi,

if TI chipset then don't worry I think :-)
check with "DPC Latency Checker" in Windows XP or Vista
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

best regards S-EH

www.unguitar.com
https://linktr.ee/lucaformentini

The link works fine for me.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes,
it is working now.
Evidently their server was down when I checked it yesterday.
I am curious to check its results !

luca

www.unguitar.com
https://linktr.ee/lucaformentini

Macosx 10.5.2 is out
Can someone test it to know if it fix the problem ?

akai01 wrote:

Macosx 10.5.2 is out
Can someone test it to know if it fix the problem ?

It doesn't and I'm getting impatient. Daisy chaining on to the hard drive doesn't get anything like the performance I got from my MacBook Pro with the FF400 straight into the FW400 drive.

We are in contact with Apple, they tested this issue too and found the same error conditions as we found. The info is now up to their development heads. Please be patient, as soon as there is news I'll post it here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yesterday I helped my student with configuring his new Macbook Pro 15"/2.4. He bought it 3 days ago and... IT HAS TI FIREWIRE CHIP! Does it means Apple moved back to TI? I do not know how to check date of produce, if I remember well Apple has moved to Agere on september.
Next monday I will check it with my FF800.

Regards,
RobR

RobR -- I'm very interested in what you find out.  The link below will take you to a site that will decipher your serial number to give info on production, including date.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Please report back -- it would be a huge relief if they changed back but I'm not holding my breath...

skymuse

73 (edited by flou242 2008-02-27 10:55:52)

Apple did launch new MBP's yesterday.

Does anyone know if the also updated the firewire chipset from Agere tot TI ?

74 (edited by Yhtomit 2008-02-27 20:08:50)

Hello people. I have booted my al. iMac while holding down the apple key + s and this came up (what does it mean?)

(OHCI) Lucent ID 5901

Do I have the Agere or the TI FW chipset? Im really curious.. any help? thxxx

you do not have the TI..

I purchased 3 MacBook Pros at the end of January. Purchased from an Apple Store. 17" 2.6 ghz with the Geforce video card.
I looked in the device manager in Windows XP in boot camp and found much to my surprise the TI chipset. What gives?
As you would expect it works. I don't get it.

went into the apple store today and did apple+s on three new MBP's (penryn models). all showed TI chips.

did one new MB, showed the lucent chipset.

good news for MBP buyers, i think. myself included, hopefully. i am still a little nervous though, i think i will take my FF400 (in the mail!) in to the store and make sure before dropping the cash.

cheers.

soundcloud.com/wndfrm

cloudburst,

Just curious...how do you intend to test the compatibility of the FF400 and the new MBP "in store"?  I see that whinecellar has done this also.  What is the "in store" test method?

I can understand getting it all home, loading up the RME drivers, trying it out with your favorite DAW, etc, but what tests are available at the store? 

Or can one just use the FF400 or FF800 as a DAC playing iTunes without loading any drivers? Is that enough of a test?

Thanks

Some on gearslutz are saying its not just the TI chipset - although I trust what am reading here.

Anyway, an off topic question. I have a 2.2 128GPU TI LED MBP I bought in July and was offered $1530 or so for it. I can then get one a 2.4 that has TI (I checked them out today) for the same price (apple friend will use his discount) and was wondering the following:

I use it mostly for music, some editing. Is it worth the update? I still use tiger and have a NFS Leopard disc, and I can use my restore dics to install TIGER onto the New Macbook pro, or will the performance (TIGER vs LEOPARD from 2.2 to 2.4) be more noticable?

Second, and I really need your advice, my 400 FW interface works fine but herein lies the problem (and seek advice), I was going to get an iMAC, then a MAC PRO to load in WINDOWS XP and my thousands of dollars worth of plug ins for audio so I could have both on the iMAC (1st) then Mac Pro, but after reading about all the problems, should I sell the MBP, get another MBP 2.4 and install TIGER? or keep what I have and buy a firmteck esata card and then have two hard drives that would be MORE than enough HOLD all my windows software? Would I be able to book/partition bootcamp onto those external drives so I could use ORCHESTRAL SAMPLES and FXEXTREME and so on and run windows on it?

Not sure what to do. Keep what I have and try out an iMAC, sell and buy a faster MACBOOK PRO (some say APPLE went to PCI-E in OCT and that might be the problem, if so, getting a new MBP with TI is still going to be a problem).

I guess I am all over the map = not sure if I should sell and trade up for another MBP and if I do (or not) what the best way to install a esata card and run bootcampe (double edge sword as LOGIC runs better in TIGER) and somehow access all my windows programs (NUENDO, Plug-INS) and run it off the MBP 2.2. On the other hand, I read at the EWQL forum that for something like SD2, (Storm Drum 2) you need a 2.5 core duo 2 or better? If so, then I would have to buy a better machine, the 2.4, just not sure if the firewire problem is the issue that some are having or is it a PCI-E problem that took the PC industry a few years to solve.

NUTSHELL RECAP~=tired as well.

? Keep what I have 2.2, hope that Storm Drum works. Purchase a external FW HD and install Leopard, then bootcamp and then my windows programs. Buy larger external monitor. Down the road buy another HD then e-sata card.

? Take a chance with iMAC and see what happens.

? Sell MACBOOK PRO, get new one. Would get larger HD, fresh LEOPARD install, faster CPU and more VRAM. Then add external HD for bootcamp, windows XP..

Thoughts?

Thanks for listening to the ramble.

whinecellarstudio wrote:

Hi Folks,

For those that don't want to deal with Boot Camp, Windoze, etc., there's a much easier way to tell which chipset you have: boot the Mac in single user mode by holding down Command (the "Apple key") and 'S' while booting (just after the startup tone).  There will be a line about your firewire chipset; if it indicates "TI" then you've got a Texas Instruments controller as opposed to the newer Agere.

I thought my new MacBook Pro was one of those affected based on problems with other audio interfaces (Presonus, Echo) - haven't tried my FF800 with it yet as it's my main studio interface (on my G5 tower).  Anyway, my MB Pro is one of the "hybrids" that has the GeForce 8600M GT graphics board AND the older/better TI Firewire controller.

So, not sure what that means - I may just have a funky logic board.  Oh joy - I get to schedule an appointment with a "genius" at the Apple Store ;-(

Hope this helps someone!

Jim Daneker

Thank you kindly, it seems I have the TI chipset on my Penryn MBP 2.4

Some people are accusing the interface makers of not staying within the specification of the firewire standard, and believes that this is the reason why some models from RME, Presonus and Digidesign and maybe others, is not working with the Agere chipset.

Is this the case and if so, when are you going to address this issue?

Note that all mentioned manufacturers simply use a physical connection chip from TI, not made by themselve. So if at all you could accuse TI to be out of spec. But then you have to acknowledge that T was first, has been known to be very compatible, and Agere should have made sure their chip works with the most wide spread one on the market.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That?s what I thought as well but it?s hard to know how?s ?fault? it is. Has Apple confirmed that the fix needs to come from them, and if so, can they fix it via updates or do they need to replace the chip?

I just bought a Macbook Pro (2.2ghz, 120gb hard drive, 2 gig ram, 15 in screen) that was shipped from Apple to Guitar Center on 12/25/07. Guitar Center has a no return policy on computers, so I'm reluctant to open the box until I can determine which chipset this computer has.

Is there a way to tell when it was made by specs, serial number, model number or something else that might appear on the box?

We are waiting for feedback from Apple too, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Ric4001,

Just press apple+S when you start the computer...

you should see a list of devices...the TI with its own number should display...

Ric4001 wrote:

I just bought a Macbook Pro (2.2ghz, 120gb hard drive, 2 gig ram, 15 in screen) that was shipped from Apple to Guitar Center on 12/25/07. Guitar Center has a no return policy on computers, so I'm reluctant to open the box until I can determine which chipset this computer has.

Is there a way to tell when it was made by specs, serial number, model number or something else that might appear on the box?

not w/o opening the box.

i would go back to GC, explain the situation, and see what they tell you. they might be willing to let you open it in store and find out.

if not, my recommendation would be to return it un-opened and find a store that will accomodate your needs.. since apple sets their prices, you should be able to find the same deal anywhere that carries the 2.2 models.

LLSIII >> sorry, i forgot to reply to your query. my intention was to buy the ff400, take it into the apple store, and install the drivers on a machine there. while this would not eliminate long-term issues ie dropouts, etc.. it would let me at least see if the ff400 was recognized and powered on, etc..

never got a chance to do this, as i p/u a pre SR MBP from apple recently. have yet to receive my fireface, but i am quite sure i have side-stepped the issue.

cheers..

soundcloud.com/wndfrm

"For those that don't want to deal with Boot Camp, Windoze, etc., there's a much easier way to tell which chipset you have: boot the Mac in single user mode by holding down Command (the "Apple key") and 'S' while booting...."

so i did try that and it seems to be a TI chip.
anybody here with an Agere can confirm trying
this method and if so what did it showed?
just curious........

r/_

Matthias:

Any news from Apple?

Hello RME Support,

I too was about to buy a Fireface 400 and new MacBook Pro (running bootcamp and Windows) but I really need to know if this will be a PROPERLY working system before I spend $6000.00 (AUD). The workaround using external drives etc. will not be suitable as I need a very compact system to travel and perform with. The system must be rock-solid...something RME is famous for usually.

I have been using a Multiface with my studio PC for years and I am VERY happy with it so I don't really want to have to get a different brand of interface that will work with the MBP.

Any updated information is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew.

I have the same interface problem FF800 vs. iMac as most of the guys above. My questions are the same of Gilbert: Did Apple, up to now, recognize the problem is due to Agere chip? If yes, what is their policy for a solution of this malfunction? Is it necessary to replace the Agere chip with a TI one or is there a software re-adjustment? For the moment I do not want to use any kind of work-around.
Thanks

Ive just bought a Fireface 800 but its not being picked up on the FW800 port of my iMac with the Lucent chipset. On the 400-port its occasionally possible to update the firmware and start the totalmix and setup program but the playback is stuttering when it does...

1. It should work on the 800 port of a Lucent iMac right?
2. If the 400 port works would it be likely the 800 port doesnt on the Fireface? I tried both 800 ports but nothing happens. Its a brand new Belkin FW800 cable so its not likely the cable is the problem..

on the 400 port it seems that the fireface doesnt take the flashtool too well btw. the flashtool keeps saying its succesfull on upgrading at first, but when i launch logic it says there is a hardware mismatch with the FF800, it seems to have lost connection and the flashtool gives me the E00000 error with revision 0.00 and the hostlight is on and red.

On my old Dell-laptop with a Ricoh FW chipset the FF800 works flawless on the FW400 port btw. The firmware update was no problem on it either.

Ulisse, is the FF800 being detected on the firewire 800-port by the iMac? is the hostlight on the FF800 on or off?

Prairie doggin'

Hi 154,I didn't try the firewire 800 port, but I think the problem will remain the same. Anyway I have exactlyno: the same problems as you described in your message (hardware mismatch, host light red on, E0000 and sometime all leds flickering cyclically). As you can read in the forum the cause seems to be the Agere chip which replaced the TI. So we are all waiting for a solution from Apple side.

I think the 800 port should work, either to the 400 port of the Fireface or the 800 port. im a bit afraid the 800-port on my unit is fried...

If the firewire 800 port on a unit is defunct, can this be repaired?

Prairie doggin'

95 (edited by 154 2008-04-08 18:51:31)

It gets weirder, i got a 9 to 6-pin firewirecable and tried that, but still the hostlight stayed red when i turned on the fireface while hooked to the FW800 port. When i changed the cable around, and plugged the 400 side in the mac and the 800 in the 800 port of the fireface i got the same behaviour as with the 400 to 400 connection...

is it safe to say the 800 port of the fireface is ok? i mean, it responds normally to the 400-connection by not working correctly ; )

both times i hooked it up to the iMac on the 800 port it wasnt detected...wheiter i hooked it up to the 400 or 800 port of the FF800

im gonna try and hook the 800 port up with the 400 port of the dell, see what happens..

-- > and as i expected, the fireface performs rocksolid on the 400-port of my dell desktop, hooked to the 800 port of the fireface

Can someone from the admin-team rule out this is a driver-issue or hardware issue on the Fireface? Any last troubleshooting tips before i put my iMac on the back of my bike and drive down to the Apple-store?

Prairie doggin'

My LiquidMix is also not detected through the 800 port of my iMac, even though it does get buspower. The 800-port is bilingual right? It should pick up a FW400 device hooked up by a 9 to 6-pins FW cable?

The LM works fine on the 400 port...

Prairie doggin'

sorry but i'm a bit lost in this sea of postes.
this issue, FF400/800  and Apple, is there a problem with the fireface series and the Macbook PRO only? or with all the mac's (Imac, mocbook, macbook pro? )

98 (edited by 154 2008-04-09 16:57:07)

all macs with a Lucent firewire chipset(they seem to appear on all models, but not always...) Also, the workaround seems to work for some, but not everyone. My FF800 is still not working...

Prairie doggin'

Any news on the Agere story? Is Apple or RME doing anything about this?

Gilbert wrote:

Any news on the Agere story? Is Apple or RME doing anything about this?

They appear to be have gone back to TI chipsets on current Macbooks. Whether or not there will be a solution for the Agere equipped computers is beyond my knowledge, I'm afraid.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME