1 (edited by daxliniere 2014-02-14 12:55:12)

Topic: Several TotalMixFX requests

I started this post with one tiny request and realised it would be better to get them all out while I'm here.

1) It would be great if we could edit (at least) the channel names from the Channel Layout window.
Even better would be the ability to edit all of the (sensible) fields.

2) Ability to rename my headphone outputs.
I work with a different band every day and it would be nice to be able to rename the outputs so instead of 'Phones 1', 'Phones 2', 'Phones 3', I could have "Johnny", "Mary", "Fred".

3) More headphone assigns.
Number of headphone sends should be assignable in the preferences window. 4 sends is not enough.

4) Simple stereo width (M/S) adjustment for each (stereo) output channel. I would like to narrow the stereo width of my 'Speakers B' output (which is routed to a pair of headphones). This would allow me to compensate the apparent stereo width difference between speakers and headphones.

5) {removed for clarity.}

6) Mono headphone outputs.
I don't personally have a use for it, but perhaps someone would like the ability to have mono headphone outputs?
Currently, we have a stereo button, but it can't be disabled for headphone outputs.

All the best,
Dax.

Loyal RME user since 2001
[AMD 5800X, 32Gb RAM, Win10x64, NVidia GTX1080ti, UCX+UFX, REAPER x64]

Re: Several TotalMixFX requests

daxliniere wrote:

5) Ability to link Main outputs with another non-Main output.
Sometimes when I do location recording, I use a subwoofer. This is connected to a separate output to my Main out so I can adjust the level depending on the room I'm using the system in. It would be great if these could be linked (like I used to do in TotalMix on my HDSP & FF800 systems).
All the best,
Dax.

just use a fader group..

ebulb wrote:

just use a fader group..

Not the same thing. I've requested cloned main output to be able to send the current FOH mix (which is never static) to something else (like in a broadcast situation) or other main speakers with different compressor settings. It's on RMEs list but apparently hard to realize.

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

daxliniere wrote:

2) Ability to rename my headphone outputs.
I work with a different band every day and it would be nice to be able to rename the outputs so instead of 'Phones 1', 'Phones 2', 'Phones 3', I could have "Johnny", "Mary", "Fred".

3) More headphone assigns.
Number of headphone sends should be assignable in the preferences window. 4 sends is not enough.

All the best,
Dax.

Agreed 100% !  I have also requested more HP Outs in the Control Room (8 in my case) and also the ability to broaden the pool of assignable outputs (somewhat restricted on the MADIface-XT due to channel count limitations @ 192K, but I will NEVER work @ 192K and don't feel this should limit my available HP output assignments which live on MADI 9-24).

Maybe with enough "squeaks" from our wheels we will get some grease? tongue

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

5 (edited by ebulb 2014-01-05 01:15:14)

MatsHelgesson wrote:
ebulb wrote:

just use a fader group..

Not the same thing. I've requested cloned main output to be able to send the current FOH mix (which is never static) to something else (like in a broadcast situation) or other main speakers with different compressor settings. It's on RMEs list but apparently hard to realize.

You are right if its just fader group the submix will be not be linked on second output... A proper duplicate would have both outputs submixes update identically.. Is that what you mean ?

MatsHelgesson wrote:
ebulb wrote:

just use a fader group..

Yes, fader groups don't work for outputs in the master section.

I understand it may be difficult to duplicate the audio stream, but surely this linking feature could just use the pre-existing channel control-linking that the rest of TMFX uses?

Points 1, 2, 3 & 5 should be very easy to achieve as they are mostly based on pre-existing functions.

daxliniere wrote:

Of course they do. With statements like this you not only confuse other readers, but also us. Please choose the correct wording.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

daxliniere wrote:

Faders can be grouped on output channels but submixes aren't mirrored.  (I may be wrong, but..)  i think the "cloned output" suggestion is to have an identical mirror of two outputs which would includes submixes being the same ? 

If all you want to do is adjust relative fader levels between 2 output channels a group will do that..

> 5) Ability to link Main outputs with another non-Main output.
Sometimes when I do location recording, I use a subwoofer. This is connected to a separate output to my Main out so I can adjust the level depending on the room I'm using the system in. It would be great if these could be linked (like I used to do in TotalMix on my HDSP & FF800 systems).

TotalMix does not have more but less options than TotalMix FX, so there is something wrong here. You can easily link the main fader with any other output channel's fader as temporary or fixed fader group. You can also easily copy the stereo hardware output by using the Cue function, which solves the Subwoofer issue as long as you don't need Cue for something else.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As is customary, I will start with a greeting. I know you are very busy, but 'hello Dax' is pretty easy to manage.

Hello Matthias,
Sorry for the slow reply, I didn't receive a notification and only saw your replies when I checked.

First of all, I have gone back and re-tested and can see that it's possible to link faders. I'm not sure why I was unable to do it the first time I tried. Perhaps I simply didn't realise you had to click on the fader knob, not just anywhere on the channel. I'm not sure. Glad to see that can be done.
I have edited my original post to avoid confusion.

However, you did not address any of my other points.

Further, I would like to add 2 more:

7) In Submix mode, the input and playback channels show the output to which they are routing. If the output is renamed, this should be reflected. One such example is the 'Phones' routing. If you click on 'Phones 1', input and playback channels do not say 'Phones 1', but instead the original output name.

8) This is very important to me: I just discovered last night that I cannot assign any output to be a headphone send.
I have 2x 2ru portable racks, once with UFX + Cranesong HEDD192 and another with headphone amp and 8-channel AD/DA converter which connects via lightpipe (& WC) to the UFX.
I want to permanently patch the 8 channels of DA conversion into my headphone amp since they live in the same rack.
At the bare minimum, I want to assign all 8 channels of ADAT1 to headphone outputs.

Best regards,
Dax Liniere.

(P.S. I have been using RME interfaces for over 12 years and recommend them to anyone who'll listen.)

12 (edited by daxliniere 2014-02-14 12:56:09)

BTW, how the hell do you enable forum reply notifications?

13 (edited by Eric Bradley 2014-02-14 14:16:59)

Use the "Subscribe to this topic" check box when posting.
Or hit the Subscribe button at the top right of the first post.

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

That's strange. I got the notification this time, but have changed nothing.
Thanks, Eric. smile

any chance of getting an option for snapshots to exclude all output channel levels ? I know its there for master but for live mixing it would be nice to only affect levels on row 1 & 2 and leave output levels so PA volumes dont change.

I don't think so, but we will discuss this.

Please note that most points raised in this thread have been raised before and are either already noted or on our list. But that list is long and has priorities which seem not obvious sometimes. We are currently rolling out TotalMix FX 0.997, which has some stunning enhancements that will only be visible after the matching firmware updates. Those firmware updates are delayed by the work on the iPad app update (stunning as well), and some not to be disclosed work. What I want to say is that TM FX will continue to become better and better, often based on user feedback, but it all needs some time...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by RichardC 2014-02-16 17:07:20)

MC wrote:

What I want to say is that TM FX will continue to become better and better, often based on user feedback, but it all needs some time...

It's great to hear it.  Thanks.

ok.. thanks..

MC wrote:

I don't think so, but we will discuss this.

Please note that most points raised in this thread have been raised before and are either already noted or on our list. But that list is long and has priorities which seem not obvious sometimes. We are currently rolling out TotalMix FX 0.997, which has some stunning enhancements that will only be visible after the matching firmware updates. Those firmware updates are delayed by the work on the iPad app update (stunning as well), and some not to be disclosed work. What I want to say is that TM FX will continue to become better and better, often based on user feedback, but it all needs some time...

Thanks for the heads up Matthias! It is indeed already stunning, amazing in fact! Looking forward to see which user request make the cut this time around.

Regards,
Matt

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

I would love to be able to load VST effects into the channels as inserts.  Am I dreaming smile ?

21 (edited by Randyman... 2014-02-21 02:57:57)

Yes – Very likely a dream.  This would still require bussing audio from TMFX FPGA to x86 CPU over ASIO and its inherent latency…

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

22 (edited by imaginaryday 2014-02-21 02:44:38)

well, waves multirack does it.  the latency is CPU dependent.  with todays computers and solid RME drivers I think I can live with 4 ms latency. 

Randyman... wrote:

Yes – Very likely a dream.  This would still require bussing audio from TMFX FGPA to x86 CPU over ASIO and its inherent latency…

cool

23 (edited by Randyman... 2014-02-21 02:54:48)

I would LOVE to see VST slots in TM-FX too - I'm just being a realist smile.

RME will undoubtedly suggest using a DAW application (like Cubase, Reaper, or even MultiRack) for this IMNSHO.  This has been suggested before, and does not seem like RME has any interest in implementing it (can't blame them - it's a very large can-o-worms)...

I mix and match TM-FX and Nuendo @ 32-Samples of ASIO.  I get the uber-low-latency from TM-FX when needed, and the insane power and bussing/routing flexibility of Nuendo on an i7 SB-E when needed.  TM-FX is not really meant to replace a proper DAW IMO...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Yes, VST integration is a huge problem. Compatibility is a PITA, then you have the issue of stability.
RME products are always ROCK SOLID. Adding plugin support presents an opportunity for third-party products, outside of RME's strict quality control, to tarnish that reputation.

It's seriously not worth in for them, IMHO.

25 (edited by ebulb 2014-02-21 07:25:37)

as much as id like to be able to load VSTs in totalmix i dont think it would be worth it for RME if its going to cause instability inside their software.

What would be good is a "virtual" insert point on input channels.. Similar to how we have Loopback, an "insert" button could send to another audio application and returns to totalmix at selected points in the channel before the fader (pre post EQ etc). same concept as a hardware insert but with virtual audio driver... That would allow VSTs to be inserted with multirack type applications without compromising totalmix.. provided you could make it so the signal still passsed even if the insert crashed.. design wise that would be better IMO..

I might point out that what you're asking for is input monitoring and it's available in 99% of DAWs.
The only reason for needing plugin support would be when you're using TotalMix in place of a hardware mixer, but I don't know why anyone would do that.

daxliniere wrote:

I might point out that what you're asking for is input monitoring and it's available in 99% of DAWs.

Are you referring to my suggestion ?

Yarr. smile

Its not really the same, mostly in terms of simplicity... if you have your DAW enabled for input monitoring, you load VST in the DAW channel and then you send that back into totalmix.. What you have comes through software channels on row 2 then..  Is that what you are calling the same thing ?  that looses totalmix EQ from Row 1 or if you enable EQ+D your VST would be post EQ only.. Alternatively you could use a DAW EQ instead but then you are starting to rely on everything in the DAW and you may as well not even bother with totalmix.. But that defeats the purpose to try and use totalmix for stability reasons in live enviroments.

Also with that type of signal path you would have input channel level, DAW level and row 2 software return level all before your output routing options to row 3 which is ugly gain structure..  i personally would not want to be switching back and forth between a DAW and TM like that in a live enviroment.  an insert point that didnt compromise stability if external application crashed is the most elegant solution if someone wants to try and use VST and retain totalmix as the main mixer.

daxliniere wrote:

The only reason for needing plugin support would be when you're using TotalMix in place of a hardware mixer, but I don't know why anyone would do that.

I'm using TMFX instead of a hardware mixer for live gigs and rehearsals.  It's a great lightweight solution - I just carry a laptop and a 4U rack.

RichardC wrote:
daxliniere wrote:

I'm using TMFX instead of a hardware mixer for live gigs and rehearsals.  It's a great lightweight solution - I just carry a laptop and a 4U rack.

Me too. I use Touch OSC and can mix from anywhere in the room.  A great solution for smaller gigs. 

Incorporating VST effects into TM is not likely.  I find the UFX on board effects are fine for cue mixes and most live gigs, although a bit more flexibility would be nice (e.g., I would like to see separate effects sends for delay and reverb).  If I really need more options I can use my DAW with input monitoring.

UFX is great for small gigs.. its cool to see the new firmware reduces DSP load also, that will help out with live applications even more..