Topic: UFX, TotalMix and MultiTrack DAW on iPad

OK trying to make it work all together smile

UFX is connected via USB (Apple Camera Kit) to iPad (1st Gen) running iOS 5.1.1, with the latest TotalMix app and latest firmware on UFX, all just downloaded/installed.

Front USB port of UFX is powering a SD card reader that records onto 16GB Transcend Class10 card. I'm recording 3 mic channels (9,10,11) at 96KHz. All is well there.

TotalMix by itself seems to work beautifully as controller, so far no issues here. However in addition to the SD card, I'd like to have a duplicate safety recording on iPad. So I bought MultiTrack DAW that was mentioned here on teh forum by RME moderator.

Two problems:

1. As soon as I start MultiTrack DAW, UFX's front panel shows the closk switches from 96K to 44.1K. Why? I thought MultiTrack DAW supported 96KHz recording??

2. In MultiTrack DAW, I set a new track and arm it, then set Source to USB channel. Tried channels 1-8. No sound is being recorded. It seems as if UFX is not outputting to iPad via USB. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

RAW footage converted to video+audio, fast - for real-time playback and edit
Raw4pro.com

Re: UFX, TotalMix and MultiTrack DAW on iPad

1. You have to make a new project with the sample rate of 96 kHz.

2. Same reason, I guess.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by PrimeHD 2014-03-27 17:56:24)

1. Got it set up as 24bit 96K in MT DAW, and it no longer messes up the UFX settings - thanks!

2. This continues to be a problem. MT DAW does not see any signal coming over USB channels 1-8. What is the channel mapping of UFX to USB? For example, if I have Mics 9-11 engaged in UFX, does it mean UFX outputs these as USB channels 9-11? Logically I'd imagine there must be some kind of routing set in UFX that allows to say, this analog input broadcasts to this USB channel etc... How?

Raw4pro.com

9-11 will be 9-11, this can't be changed... Input channel assignment is fixed, and there are no "USB channels" and no routing.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

You did mention MT DAW as a recording solution, so clearly you have no issues with it, yet I can't get it to see the UFX output here.

Could you please give me step-by-step on this because I'm a bit confused.

MT DAW listens to inputs they call USB 1 to USB 8.

UFX: When I use Mic 9, Mic 10, and Mic 11 on UFX, how do I make their signal show to MT DAW on iPad as USB 1, USB 2, and USB 3?

Raw4pro.com

PrimeHD wrote:

UFX: When I use Mic 9, Mic 10, and Mic 11 on UFX, how do I make their signal show to MT DAW on iPad as USB 1, USB 2, and USB 3?

You don't - the software should allow you to select all the available inputs. I seem to remember that that was once possible, but now I also only see a choice of the first 8 channels. Maybe that was changed in an update... As far as I know, MT DAW is no longer being updated.

I have since switched to Auria anyhow, and selecting all available channels works fine there with the input matrix.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I just bought MT DAW, so apparently have the latest version, and it has 8 channels 1-8.

So then if I understand correctly, in UFX they correspond to the analog inputs 1-8? And since I only have Mic 9-11 then there's no signal.

OK then how do I route/map Mic9-11 to 1-3 in UFX? In my mind, if direct mapping is not possible, then maybe we should do Mic 9 - Hardware Output 9 - patched to Analog Input 1. Same with Mic 10, 11 patched.

Obviously I don't want to physically patch outputs/inputs with cables, need your help how to do it in UFX matrix. This should probably fix the problem as I understand, so MT will see them on channels 1-3.

Raw4pro.com

That is indeed possible. Right now only by simple cable patching (which involves AD, DA, and then again AD conversion), later with the Loopback function that will be added to the TM FX for iPad app (just AD conversion).

Regarding MT Daw: It really looked like the author abandoned his app, but today (!) arrived a BIG update in the App Store with many changes and new features, that explicitely states 'up to 16 channels record', so this seems to be fixed. Note that you might need to buy 8 or 16 extra channels to be able to use that (in-app purchase).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME