Topic: DigiCheck 5.7 very sluggish

i use UFX for live gigs on an older core 2 duo laptop.. its a model from around 2006.. totalmix FX runs fairly well, its occasionally a little laggy but nothing too bad given the age of the computer..

I recently re installed the OS on the laptop and installed DigiCheck 5.7 on this new install.. I was previously using DigiCheck on this laptop but it was an older release..  Since putting 5.7 on there ive noticed it is really sluggish speed wise, the older release would slow my machine a little, but this is much worse.. When the UFX is set to wordclock or you make any sample rate changes DigiCheck slows to an absolute crawl and brings the machine to its knees.. If you click on something, 10 minutes later the window responds.. I thought DigiCheck was supposed to use little resources on the system and therefore would be ok to run on an older computer ?

does DigiCheck install any other files on the system ? If not maybe i will go back to older release and see how that runs again..

Re: DigiCheck 5.7 very sluggish

Sounds more like you missed or updated a driver on your reinstall (=difference), like graphics, that cause such a difference. DC did not change at all (unlike TM FX with its D2D support).

Is the problem mainly on changing the sample rate, and then for a few minutes? Check CPU load...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

when i change the sample rate it slows the machine, it doesnt completely lock up but it's unresponsive for around 30 seconds, then it returns and the speed seems normal again.. The DigiCheck slow down seems different though and the computer doesnt recover from it properly like with sample rate change, i end up needing to reboot to get it to respond..  I have a gig tonight so i wont change anything for the moment i'll look at it again next week..

What's the operating system here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Please open the taskmanger to see the current CPU load before you change the sample rate next time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by ebulb 2014-03-27 19:26:29)

the operating system is Windows XP SP3.. when i change sample rate the CPU spikes to 100% and stays that way for 55 seconds before it lowers again..  The normal system overhead on CPU is around 15% which i think is high but its an old machine, i have removed as many things as i can from starup in msconfig to lower it as much as possible..

Would you say the 100% for 55 seconds is normal for older system ? I dont mind that so much because you dont need to change sample rates often, but it would be good to have Digicheck working and responsive.. I will test it more thoroughly after the weekend when i dont have any work to worry about..

Yes, the high CPU load is 'normal' and causes a lot of side effects on older systems. But we are currently preparing a driver update that allows you to reduce the CPU load on change, even down to zero (0%). Might take a few weeks...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

But we are currently preparing a driver update that allows you to reduce the CPU load on change, even down to zero (0%). Might take a few weeks...

Would Mac computers benefit from a similar driver update, or is this not a relevant comparison?

I just started to use Digicheck (love the Surround Audio Scope), & I am also on an older computer. Thanks

Macs work differently, such a change is not possible (and usually not necessary) there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by oblique strategies 2014-04-30 00:03:28)

Thank you for your quick reply.