Topic: HDSP 9632 & 96kHz problems

Hi,

I wanted to start working at 96kHz (because a lot of my sample libraries are recording that high) and I'm having some problems with that.  Here are two ways that I've tried to set things up:

Method #1
DIGICheck set to 96kHz and Cubase 5 set to 96kHz.  This works fine in Cubase but anything outside of Cubase is silent (e.g. the video game I'm working on, web browsers).  Also, when I go into Windows 7's 'Playback Devices' settings menu, and try to 'Test' the speakers, I get a "Failed to play test tone" message.

The only other program that sort of works is Wavelab 7 (using Windows MME as the audio device).  However, the audio of a stereo file is sent to my centre and LFE channels (analogue 3 & 4), instead of the Front Left & Right (analogue 1 & 2).  If I switch the Wavelab audio device setting to ASIO Hammerfall DSP, then the audio is correctly in the Front Left & Right, but it plays back in a loop'like manner.  I.e. it plays the first 1 second or so, then jumps back to about 500ms and plays for another 1 sec, then jumps back to 1000ms and plays for another 1 sec, and so on (until the end of the file is reached).

Method #2
DIGICheck set to 48kHz and Cubase 5 set to 96kHz.  This is fine outside of Cubase, and is fine in Wavelab.  However, within Cubase I need to trigger sounds 1 octave higher to get them to play back at the correct pitch/speed.  In other words, for a sample that sounds correct in setup #1 (above) at C3, I need to trigger it at C4 for it to sound correct.

Anyways, I'm curious if I'm going about this correctly, and what I might be doing wrong?

I'm running Window 7 64bit and Cubase 5 (5.5.3).  I have the HDSP 9632 with both the AI4S-192 AIO and AO4S-192 AIO expansion boards.  Driver version 3.42 and firmware 154.

Thanks,
Sean

Re: HDSP 9632 & 96kHz problems

#2 certainly won't work correctly. What is Digicheck being used for in this setup? Can you test without and also test other ASIO software, e.g. Reaper? How many channels do you see in Totalmix at 96k? Wavelab's behaviour is unusual, but I don't quite think it is caused by simply running the card at 96... Which audio device is set as default in Windows?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the quick reply, Daniel.  I'm using Digicheck mainly for the Totalyser, but I've often used it to set the sample rate of Windows. 

I closed down Digicheck and I installed the demo of Reaper.  I then loaded up an empty project and set the "Project Settings" to 96kHz.  The Audio Device settings were set to use the ASIO Hammerfall DSP driver.  I ran into the same problems as I did with Cubase (in my "Method #1).

Also with no ASIO software running, and Windows set to 96kHz via "Hammerfall DSP Settings", I had the same problems (i.e. no sound in the game I'm working on, web browsers and media player).

"How many channels do you see in Totalmix at 96k?"
@48kHz, there are 16 channels
@96kHz, there are 12 channels (it looks like I lose ADAT channels 5-8)

"Which audio device is set as default in Windows?"
My default playback is listed as:
"Speakers
3-RME HDSP 9632"

Thanks again,
Sean

With the web browser running (means WDM somehow still in use) then changing to 96 kHz via ASIO might cause such effects. Did you try to change to 96 khz first then start the web browser (any WDM)?

You should give driver 4.0 a try as this one changes the way WDM is handled - and might also solve the WDM problem that you encounter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, Matthias.  I set the sample rate to 96kHz (in Hammerfall DSP Settings) and then did a cold re-boot.  Unfortunately that didn't work either (same results as before). 

As for driver 4.0, are you referring to the WDM streaming driver (for the HDSP 9632) or for something else?  The driver page for the HDSP 9632 only has driver version 3.42.

Thanks,
Sean

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20273

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks!  I just noticed that sticky thread and have installed driver 4.0.  It looks like the problem is now solved. 

Thanks again,
Sean