Topic: 7.1 Surround Monitor Control

Hi,

New to RME interfaces - I am shortly to take delivery of a FireFace802 and ARC.

I run 5.1 monitoring out of ProTools, through a BlueSky BM1 monitor controller. I wish to take it out of the signal chain, as it is pretty noisy (adding a fair amount of hiss and hum to the signal chain).

On my current setup (Motu Ultralite Hybrid + CueMixFX) you can control the level of the 8 main outputs in a variety of configurations (stereo, quad, 5.1, 7.1), from one "pot" on CueMix.

Reading through the manual for TotalMix, I noticed with interest the new "Monitor section".

Using the ARC, is it possible to control the level of the main 8 analogue outputs, and program calibrated settings, for TV, DVD or Cinema mixing?

Many thanks for any suggestions. The reason I am asking before I even take delivery is that I need to make the changeover as seamless and quick as possible!

Ta again.
Al.

ProTools 11.2.2HD on Windows & Mac, FireFace802 & ARC, Artist Control, Genelec Monitoring.

Re: 7.1 Surround Monitor Control

Currently there is no direct support for Surround in the Control room section. But you can link different outputs with the main output, thus having all surround channels controlled at the same time. By selecting different Snapshots, where you stored different output levels and/or mixing before, you can easily change between modified settings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Currently there is no direct support for Surround in the Control room section. But you can link different outputs with the main output, thus having all surround channels controlled at the same time. By selecting different Snapshots, where you stored different output levels and/or mixing before, you can easily change between modified settings.

Hi,

Just taken delivery, and very impressed so far.

However I cannot work out how to link an3/4, an5/6 and an7/8's levels to the main (an1/2) outputs level.

Any advice?

Alan

ProTools 11.2.2HD on Windows & Mac, FireFace802 & ARC, Artist Control, Genelec Monitoring.

The manual explains how to build temporary and permanent fader groups.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The manual explains how to build temporary and permanent fader groups.

And it's one of thickest manuals I've come across recently!

Have managed to figure it out, and now have all my analogue outputs linked and controlled from the ARC, and have snapshot calibrated levels set up. Even DIM works - brilliant!

For some reason though, I can get fader groups to work properly, but not mute groups.

Really though, RME should wake up and realise that a lot of people use their multi-channel interfaces for surround work, and get that monitor section actually useful. Digicheck does surround metering and R128 measurement, so this is all that's needed to make this THE go to interface for those of us working in sound for picture.

I've been using DAWs for 25 years now, and bar the Neves I've owned, this is the nicest sounding.

Mute groups are controlled with the mute group master button.
Georg

If I understood correctly, there is no factory built support for surround monitoring? But I could work around this by grouping output level faders?

Are the output level faders analog or digital? By analog I mean digitally remote controlled analog circuitry like the gains for mic inputs in Fireface for example. If they are digital, then it would be basically the same if I'd route software returns directly to hardware outputs at unity level and control my levels from DAW?

Currently there is no direct support for Surround in the Control room section.

Are there any plans to add surround monitoring? It sure would be great. With the ability to downmix 5.1 into Lt/Rt stereo sum to main L and R speakers and then again downmix the Lt/Rt into mono sum to center speaker. Ability to assign a separate output for mono sum would be awesome even in normal stereo production. And the ability to phase invert Main L or R channel before summing to mono directly from Advanced Remote Control. I can currently achieve these functions in DAW with basic downmixing and tool/utility plugins placed in the master bus, but I have a tendency of forgetting them on when bouncing. It's not a big deal, but it is quite annoying to realize I have bounced offline a 2 hour long mono side sum version of the project. smile

Surround support will come within the Control Room Section, but we do not have plans to add downmix functions like you described.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Surround support will come within the Control Room Section, but we do not have plans to add downmix functions like you described.

Bloody Rippa!!!   (That's ..err... Fantastic! Awesome!). Can't wait for dedicated Control room support of surround MC! Not that I'm complaining about the implementation now, as it works really well using fader groups.... But it might mean that I can use "Do not load Main volume/balance" once again! great!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith
----------------

That is one of the reasons that feature is needed smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is great news!
Is bass management part of the surround support in the control room section?

Of course you have the EQs and can set up manually whatever you need. Furhter plans are under discussion.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi there I am moving a monitor controller over from an SPL surround control. I am wanting an update when this might be available ? I am working around it so far linking all outputs to mute and fader groups. A button toggles mute group 1 etc. I have to work out how to individually mute each output when calibrating however.

soon 4 years gone by since a surround feature was "promised".  Any updates on this MC (RMEs Matthias Carstens)?

I am able to use the controller to manage fader and mute groups. This seems to suit my needs for now. I have a seperate fader / mute group for the phones out which goes to a custom headphone amp. So when I mute the main speakers I still have phones.

5 years later on surround support are still not available. Are there even gonna be surround support for totalmix? If not please let us know so i can decide whether I need to buy surround monitor controller or not. Currently I'm using arc remote..it works to some extent. But because of mute group limitation (4) basically you only can have 4 combination of solos (by muting other hardware output).

Any future (hopefully soon) plans for surround support?

Yes please to Surround Monitor Control. I have been waiting for this a while now. It seems such an obvious thing, especially in combination with the ARC. I would love to loose my SPL from the signal Path.

I have hope!
2019-01-30 MC wrote:

Topic: TotalMix FX 1.6 Beta 2 for Windows and Mac available
TotalMix FX 1.6 Beta 2 is now available. This time it's not about big feature updates, but a lot of fine-tuning and working on user feedback and wishes. And before someone asks: Better support for surround in the CRM section is planned for the next version, 1.7.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28270