Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

telkmx wrote:

Anyone else wished there was a black babyface pro ?
Since the ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition i kinda wish for one haha

Dream come true !

https://i.ibb.co/zFwQqbn/fs.jpg

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi all! RME Babyface pro noticed that sometimes you can accidentally touch the USB wires in the area of connections with the card, it just jerks a mm and the signal disappears. After reconnecting, this does not happen, even if I pull the wire hard.

The last time I dropped the card on its side, when I sharply pulled the headphone cord, the sound disappeared again, although the USB cable remained in place. It turns out that such a failure occurs when the card remains connected for a long time without movement (a week or a month), and then micro-movement causes a failure.

I'm afraid this might not happen on stage. With what it can be connected?

The card includes: 2 xlr for monitors, 1 xlr for microphone, guitar cable and headphones, every time it happens suddenly, while I’m writing now I pulled the usb, everything is holding up well, nothing is disconnected. The wire is original, fits tightly

Sounds like you did not insert the USB right angle part deep enough into the Babyface USB socket. It must be all pressed in.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Sounds like you did not insert the USB right angle part deep enough into the Babyface USB socket. It must be all pressed in.

No, the wire is inserted as deep as possible, it seems to me there is some problem with the electrical network

Hello, I am new here. Is this how to write a new post / thread? I have a Q about connecting analog units / or an external patch to a Babyface Pro in mixing mode. F.ex. using an external analog compressor on a track when mixing a song. Possibilities / limitations?
Thanks!

1,306 (edited by Manuel 2024-05-10 19:28:52)

sumphill wrote:

Hello, I am new here. Is this how to write a new post / thread? I have a Q about connecting analog units / or an external patch to a Babyface Pro in mixing mode. F.ex. using an external analog compressor on a track when mixing a song. Possibilities / limitations?
Thanks!

The Babyface is probably not the best inhterface for hooking up outboard gear (unless you use ADAT, and then you'd still need an external converter, at which point it's probably cheaper to get the UCX II and have it all in one box). You could connect the Babyface outputs to your compressor inputs, and the compressor outputs to BOTH the Babyface inputs and your analog monitors using a balanced cable splitter or a a patchbay. It is generally acceptable to connect an output to more than one input. This way you would be able to apply hardware compression to the audio going to your monitors, your headphones and your DAW. All the signal routing is easily done in TotalmixFX.

Manuel wrote:
sumphill wrote:

Thanks!

The Babyface is probably not the best inhterface for hooking up outboard gear (unless you use ADAT, and then you'd still need an external converter, at which point it's probably cheaper to get the UCX II and have it all in one box). You could connect the Babyface outputs to your compressor inputs, and the compressor outputs to BOTH the Babyface inputs and your analog monitors using a balanced cable splitter or a a patchbay. It is generally acceptable to connect an output to more than one input. This way you would be able to apply hardware compression to the audio going to your monitors, your headphones and your DAW. All the signal routing is easily done in TotalmixFX.

Thanks for useful info. I was expecting the Babyface would be a complicated setup, so the UCX II looks like the solution. In recording modus I need max 10 inputs for analog preamps recording drums. In mix mode I would like to hook up analog compressors and an EQ on some channels, this would be nice to cable up through a patch bay. How to link / cable up a patch to the UCX II? I am an old school analog guy not used to these `all in one`units, but I like the sound quality of RME. I use Pro Tools and a Macbook pro. Thanks again for any advice, and yes I have to study the UCX II manual.

sumphill wrote:

Thanks for useful info. I was expecting the Babyface would be a complicated setup, so the UCX II looks like the solution. In recording modus I need max 10 inputs for analog preamps recording drums. In mix mode I would like to hook up analog compressors and an EQ on some channels, this would be nice to cable up through a patch bay. How to link / cable up a patch to the UCX II? I am an old school analog guy not used to these `all in one`units, but I like the sound quality of RME. I use Pro Tools and a Macbook pro. Thanks again for any advice, and yes I have to study the UCX II manual.

You need to figure out how many simultaneous inputs you need. The UCX II only has 8 analog inputs (4 on the front and 4 on the back), if you need 10 you'll need the UFX. You could also use an external AD/DA unit. The Behringer ADA8200 Ultragain is affordable and adds 8 ins and 8 outs at 48 kHz, and it will work with the Babyface. Don't expect RME sound quality though.

Manuel wrote:
sumphill wrote:

You need to figure out how many simultaneous inputs you need. The UCX II only has 8 analog inputs (4 on the front and 4 on the back), if you need 10 you'll need the UFX. You could also use an external AD/DA unit. The Behringer ADA8200 Ultragain is affordable and adds 8 ins and 8 outs at 48 kHz, and it will work with the Babyface. Don't expect RME sound quality though.

Thanks for inputs. 8 analog inputs is enough for me. How would you connect a patch with the UCX II? To insert outboard comps / eq on tracks when mixing.

One question.

For external power I bought a 12V/2.0A power supply. Is it ok with the babyface pro fs. I have no idea of electrical things ...