Topic: How to add delay on monitor channel

I am using the UFX for playback in 2 rooms. Room 1 output is AN1/2 mains and AN3/4 subs after passing through digital room correction (DRC) and crossover. The DRC introduces delay.  In Room 2, an adjacent room, I have stereo speakers on PH9/10 channels and these do not go through the DRC, so no delay.

I want to synchronize the output between Rooms 1 and 2. Is there an FX effect I can use to create delay on PH1/2? Or some other way to accomplish this.

I am a novice user if you have not guessed!

UFX+; RME Thunderbolt ASIO to Win10x64; AcourateConvolver digital crossover & room correction

Re: How to add delay on monitor channel

If you don't need the Echo for anything else then this is indeed possible with a funny workaround. You just have to use the Echo as only audio path (channel fader down with Send up, Return channel no routing active but FX return up). Echo effect used is Stereo Echo, Width 100, Feedback 0, HC Off, Vol 0 dB.

Now the stereo signal gets delayed by whatever you set as delay time and shows up at the output where you raised the FX Return fader.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Brilliant! Thank you. I wish I understood the logic behind this 'workaround'.  Perhaps that will come with time and experience.

UFX+; RME Thunderbolt ASIO to Win10x64; AcourateConvolver digital crossover & room correction

MC wrote:

If you don't need the Echo for anything else then this is indeed possible with a funny workaround. You just have to use the Echo as only audio path (channel fader down with Send up, Return channel no routing active but FX return up). Echo effect used is Stereo Echo, Width 100, Feedback 0, HC Off, Vol 0 dB.

Now the stereo signal gets delayed by whatever you set as delay time and shows up at the output where you raised the FX Return fader.

Is it possible to apply this fix to a hardware output in TotalMix? So a mix can still be set up using faders as normal...

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

mjfe87 wrote:

Is it possible to apply this fix to a hardware output in TotalMix? So a mix can still be set up using faders as normal...

Not directly, but if you have ins and outs to spare, you can mix normally to a free output, use physical loopback cable (madi, adat or whatever)  to reroute the signal back to a free input and use fx send and delay the signal with echo from that input to your final destination..

RME Fireface UFX+ | RME Fireface UFX | RME Babyface Pro |

bsfreq wrote:
mjfe87 wrote:

Not directly, but if you have ins and outs to spare, you can mix normally to a free output, use physical loopback cable (madi, adat or whatever)  to reroute the signal back to a free input and use fx send and delay the signal with echo from that input to your final destination..

Good idea, thanks!

RME, please release TotalMix 2.0 with delays built in - it’s essential in today’s world!

Eastwood Records

MC wrote:

Just to add, the inbuilt echo function is measured in seconds to two decimal places, which effectively means the time delay can only be accurate to the nearest 10ms.

MC, can this be changed to three decimal places in a firmware update?

Eastwood Records

It's just a dirty and quite restricted workaround which for technical reasons can not be easily made that accurate. In other words - will not happen, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It's just a dirty and quite restricted workaround which for technical reasons can not be easily made that accurate. In other words - will not happen, sorry.

In which case, please add time delays as a feature request to TotalMix 2.0!

Eastwood Records

mjfe87 wrote:
MC wrote:

In which case, please add time delays as a feature request to TotalMix 2.0!

I believe it's a question of the DSP resources not being available in current hardware.

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 16,  W10 x64

no need to add them to every channel, just the output.

i managed to pull off a 100% analog monitoring chain (phew) so i can get away without using delays.

ploki wrote:

no need to add them to every channel, just the output.

i managed to pull off a 100% analog monitoring chain (phew) so i can get away without using delays.

Channel delays would be useful for multi miking socially distanced ensembles!

Eastwood Records