1 (edited by rua1225 2023-05-28 21:17:38)

Topic: Can't see Babyface Pro FS device on Window 11

Is anyone using RME Babyface Pro FS audio interface with Windows 11?

I installed the latest driver and it showed a successful installation,
https://i.ibb.co/BN40z04/350253895-979165673219890-6795728036671441234-n.jpg

but when I connect the interface, neither the system nor my DAW display the Babyface device.
https://i.ibb.co/vhsGpg6/349597660-781321606791097-692097799782216292-n.jpg

The device manager shows it, but with an error message: This device cannot start (Code 10).
https://i.ibb.co/qRs2Bqs/350025483-1445989546237333-6854273822269674871-n.jpg

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-05-28 21:24:26)

Re: Can't see Babyface Pro FS device on Window 11

Your Babyface pro is in class compliant mode. Plug it out and when replugging / restarting it again, press and hold the SELECT and DIM buttons, the LED stripes should show 'PC', the unit is in native driver mode then and should work on your computer. In the device manager it will show up a little different also: 'RME Babyface pro' (so without serial number but with added 'RME')

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Your Babyface pro is in class compliant mode. Plug it out and when replugging / restarting it again, press and hold the SELECT and DIM buttons, the LED stripes should show 'PC', the unit is in native driver mode then and should work on your computer. In the device manager it will show up a little different also: 'RME Babyface pro' (so without serial number but with added 'RME')

Thank you for replying, but I've tried both CC and PC mode and they both didn't work.

I’m using the Babyface pro fs on win 11. I’ve had no problems so far with the drivers

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

rua1225 wrote:

Thank you for replying, but I've tried both CC and PC mode and they both didn't work.

Anyway let it set to PC mode because CC doesn’t work on Windows!
When you plug in the Babyface, are there some LEDs lights active?
Do you use an additional power supply or USB power only?
What kind of USB port is it on the computer (form factor USB-A or C, protocol USB 2.0, 3.0 …)? Have you tried different ports?
Different cables? Even a hub?
Maybe also try to reinstall the driver.

oli77sch wrote:
rua1225 wrote:

Anyway let it set to PC mode because CC doesn’t work on Windows!
When you plug in the Babyface, are there some LEDs lights active?
Do you use an additional power supply or USB power only?
What kind of USB port is it on the computer (form factor USB-A or C, protocol USB 2.0, 3.0 …)? Have you tried different ports?
Different cables? Even a hub?
Maybe also try to reinstall the driver.

Alright, I will try again in PC mode. I don't know how to check the additional power supply or USB power status.

I have tried different USB ports (2.0, 3.0, 3.1) using the official Type-A cable provided. I believe the issue is not with the hardware, but rather with the driver.

After installing the driver, the device does not appear in the system. Normally, there should be a Fireface icon in the taskbar, and it should also show up in my DAW, but it's not happening.

rua1225 wrote:

I don't know how to check the additional power supply or USB power status.

So you don't have a power supply for the BFproFS?
My BFpro (older non FS model) shows four red LED lights for a very short moment at startup, then one input LED, one output LED and either on IN button or on OUT button. Depending on Totalmix state there also could be the red ones for activated P48 and DIM. This is only meant as information to check powering issues.
Another idea: You could download the flash update tool and try to start it. It only works with the proper installed driver.
I can't give further help because I use macOS myself and am not familiar with Windows. Hopefully someone else can chime in...

oli77sch wrote:
rua1225 wrote:

I don't know how to check the additional power supply or USB power status.

So you don't have a power supply for the BFproFS?
My BFpro (older non FS model) shows four red LED lights for a very short moment at startup, then one input LED, one output LED and either on IN button or on OUT button. Depending on Totalmix state there also could be the red ones for activated P48 and DIM. This is only meant as information to check powering issues.
Another idea: You could download the flash update tool and try to start it. It only works with the proper installed driver.
I can't give further help because I use macOS myself and am not familiar with Windows. Hopefully someone else can chime in...

I have already tried updating the firmware. I believe my FS should be powered directly via USB.

I suspect the issue lies with the driver because this FS used to work smoothly on my old PC.

Regardless, thank you for your assistance!

Solved.
I installed the 1222 version of the driver and after rebooting, everything is working fine. There might be some issues with the 1245 version of the driver in the latest version of Win11. Thank you.

Driver 1245 works. Your descriptions have been a bit confusing. If it is just ASIO not working then this is a known issue which is solved by a proper reboot. But your third screenshot showed a BF Pro where the driver is not working (this is not about ASIO). Was that screenshot with CC mode?

Now that it works with 1222 you could try 1245 again. And update the firmware as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by R1c0c0 2023-08-04 16:42:31)

MC wrote:

Driver 1245 works. Your descriptions have been a bit confusing. If it is just ASIO not working then this is a known issue which is solved by a proper reboot. But your third screenshot showed a BF Pro where the driver is not working (this is not about ASIO). Was that screenshot with CC mode?

Now that it works with 1222 you could try 1245 again. And update the firmware as well.

New owner here and got the same issue 1246 first i tried regular usb connection 3.2 port it worked randomly after many many restarts but then i wanted to use usb-c because it's the only port i can set to sleep mode in bios when i turn off my pc (ASUS MOBO) tried switching between cc and pc mode it doesn't matter. Neither when i switch ports this is clearly a bug please fix it... latest win 11, latest asio, latest rme drivers, latest flash... device manager can't even see my babyface pro fs this is just tedious

12 (edited by waedi 2023-08-04 22:33:51)

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 72#p205872

Any chance you can test your Babyface on another computer ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

13 (edited by R1c0c0 2023-08-05 01:44:28)

waedi wrote:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 72#p205872

Any chance you can test your Babyface on another computer ?

No… this shouldn’t be an issue at all so you are implying that my device is faulty ?! I’m sad i just wanted to make music should i rme my rme ? I’m angry

14 (edited by waedi 2023-08-05 04:02:19)

The device manager can't see your Babyface.
Either your Babyface is faulty or the computer (or simply the USB cable).
Connecting to another computer will quick show where the issue is.
Otherwise you can contact the local service partner and send in your Babyface not knowing if it has an issue at all.

waedi wrote:

The device manager can't see your Babyface.
Either your Babyface is faulty or the computer (or simply the USB cable).
Connecting to another computer will quick show where the issue is.
Otherwise you can contact the local service partner and send in your Babyface not knowing if it has an issue at all.

alright so managed to make my pc recognise the device by simply plugging my pc out the wall socket..............

flash updater worked updated to 320

totalmix (full mode) and babyface meters getting signals (shown on meter) all faders turned up to 0 dB however there's no sound coming out of my ndh30s (using 1/4'' headphone connection (i don't have speakers)) of course phones selected for volume control 'basic' setup is used for totalmix this shouldn't be an issue.

Checked windows sound settings Speakers - RME babyface is selected (tried 3+4 outs still no sound) went to check the device properties for 'Speakers RME babyface' the Jack section says : No jack information available. Is that normal ?

Currently using usb-a cable in the same port i left it in yesterday. This is seriously tiring.

Please follow the other thread. Double posting is not nessesary here.
All the people reading thru every post.

17 (edited by mr.gorby 2024-01-19 22:55:07)

Hello,
I've got same problem, tried everything from this and other topics, nothing helped.
Its working on other Windows 10 Pc, but not on Windows 11 PC (Dell).
I can see it in device manager in sound control but not in sound out device like this:
https://i.ibb.co/51dSXv5/nobabyface.jpg

Also I can see it in setting in all sound devices, but I'm not able to Allow it, clicking on button nothing do, like here:

https://i.ibb.co/27wzkFx/cantallowbabyface.jpg
Any ideas?

In the Fireface settings dialog, sure WDM device number is not zero ?
At least 1.

Oh well, yes, now its working, SOLVED. Thank you!

waedi wrote:

In the Fireface settings dialog, sure WDM device number is not zero ?
At least 1.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as mr.gorby. I don't see Babyface in output devices, although it is in device manager. Can you tell me how to change the value from 0 to 1? I don't quite understand where it is configured.

mr.gorby wrote:

Oh well, yes, now its working, SOLVED. Thank you!

Hi!

Would you mind sharing the solution? I have exactly the same problem.

Likely the number of active WDM devices in the USB settings dialog.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

23 (edited by audiopizza 2024-01-26 13:54:28)

RME Support wrote:

Likely the number of active WDM devices in the USB settings dialog.

Can you tell me where I can look this up on Win11? Please.

I have everything working fine on my desktop PC. This problem is only on my laptop. And the drivers installed perfectly and everything is perfectly visible in device manager.

In the Fireface USB settings dialog.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

In the Fireface USB settings dialog.

How can I find these settings? Is it on Babyface settings? Or in the device manager?

Oh man! I'm so stupid! I didn't even know Fireface USB was a software! Sorry for my dumbness! It all works now! RME RULES!

27 (edited by ramses 2024-01-26 16:59:38)

audiopizza wrote:

Oh man! I'm so stupid! I didn't even know Fireface USB was a software! Sorry for my dumbness! It all works now! RME RULES!

Don't worry :-) FYI .. There are usually two files:

1)  Firmware update tool, fut_......
2a) Driver
2b) TotalMix FX software, the DSP mixer(last stable version bundled together with the driver)

Occasionally, RME releases new functionality on this forum
- either new TotalMix FX software or
- new driver / features which might also need a firmware upgrade
The instructions and requirements you will find in the forum post

The driver settings (Windows: the little icon in the notification area at the bottom right of the Windows taskbar)
are for configuring some low-level stuff in the driver, related to digital I/O ports or WDM devices for Windows and some more stuff.

There is also additional stuff available for download: DIGIcheck, TotalMix Remote (only to be installed on a remote PC which has no RME interface installed) and a few other.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

And there is a manual...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Can anyone help me I’m also having this issue?

But weirdly when I play audio from Pro tools I can hear it and record (can’t hear myself record)

& can’t select rme as my output device

30 (edited by ramses 2024-03-09 09:49:30)

Somehow, it seems to have escaped your notice that Windows and most Windows applications do not support ASIO drivers ;-)

Your DAW and any other application capable of loading ASIO drivers, of course, do not face this issue. This explains why you hear sound when working with your DAW because you have loaded the RME ASIO driver there.

And that's precisely the essence of ASIO drivers: direct access to the recording interface bypassing the Windows Audio System for lower latencies and to prevent any loss of quality or potential sound changes (e.g. caused by Windows Audio features).

If you want to use the RME recording interface not only for recording applications (with ASIO driver support) but also for Windows and other applications "without ASIO support" then an additional step is needed:
You need to generate Windows compatible "WDM drivers" in the "RME driver settings".

You find the "RME driver settings" on the right side of the Windows taskbar, a little icon which opens the driver settings.

If you do not find the icon for driver settings, two possible reasons:

a) it might be hidden. Look for a little triangle symbol, click to it and check whether you find the icon there. If this is the case, then you can drag and drop it from the hidden to the visible area (to find it next time easier).

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0f0l4cpx8iit9qhma72vr/2024-03-09-Windows-10-notification-area-driver-settings.jpg?rlkey=gc389kgx1mqhvl8htgfj3tk09&dl=1

b) maybe the driver settings were not loaded, check "Autostart" TAB in Windows Task-Manager, whether it is there and activated. If it is not active, activate it there and reboot Windows. Here is an example how it looks for my UFX III with MADIface driver:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hu4ygvcidiv8mv3hl0vls/2024-03-09-Taskbar-Autostart-Driver-Settings.jpg?rlkey=qjh0kkp5v4v87v0ag9fd927f0&dl=1

In the "driver settings", set the number of WDM devices, which is default at "0" to a higher number (see manual ch 9.1). And as you can see, such information is already in the manual, you only have to read it.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/j9sk8xrovtf4fbdol37u8/2024-03-09-Manual-Driver-Settings.jpg?rlkey=jl28trc7c4dpiw8fd33vuns5d&dl=1

The WDM devices in the Windows Audio settings are immediately generated...

Final step: in Windows audio settings, you need to make this WDM driver the Windows default sound device.

Here is an example of how it looks here for an UFX III, OS is Windows 10 (might look slightly different on Win11).

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/m4rc5fu3299eil3eyjhx9/2024-03-09-Windows-10-Sound.jpg?rlkey=bl0dgvcv26qb607y2t493sd07&dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13