Re: RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS: Feature Requests

N00b wrote:

Ah sorry, I'm too naive... I feel better and this guy has cranked up into my estime! big_smile

Out of shame, you now have to change your power outlets.

Yes, really. It's a thing.
https://www.thecableco.com/power-line-p … ories.html

I don't think these sound good - they are not directional!

smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

willem wrote:

the Quad 34 pre amplifier that was the first to have this much liked feature

I don't believe it was or is 'much liked'. Then others would have taken over the idea and it would have become kinda standard to have. I never liked it because it influences both bass and treble simultaneously when I just wanted to adjust one of them.*

Which doesn't mean there can't be a use for it. Sonarworks has the tilt function too (as addition!) and there I found it useful the very first time.

Still we won't add it, sorry. Please use bass and treble or the PEQ as explained before.

* I just remembered that was on an old tube radio around 1968, the feature called Klangwaage in German (sound scale? sound balance?)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Where "Retro Features" such as "Tilt" are concerned, It is my Opinion that the ADI-2.DAC already posesses SO many Tone Shaping options that adding more would be...dare I say...Senseless.

You want Retro Features?   Investigate the ADI-2 DACs brilliant implementation of "Dynamic Loudness"   FINALLY! A Loudness feature that actually works!!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Klangwaage is a nice term indeed. I would like it but if there are too few others that is fine with me. There is enough to like in the ADI DAC as it is. And the dynamic and adjustable loudness is indeed part of the attraction. My speakers are very inefficient and the room is large so it was useful that I could set it quite aggressively.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

In this context I may repeat that IMHO it is pity that the Adi-2 Pro FS doesn't offer any kind of remote parameter access, preferably with USB connection.

I understand it would require a major redesign with all the effort that comes with it, and most probably this isn't going to happen.

Anyway, assuming RME honors user input for future projects/designs, I would suggest some remote access to parameters is a good idea and would even allow the use of "building blocks". Things like the tilt control could be implemented easily, think sort of macros.

A most elegant single-point solution would be to implement a http server that provides a web-based user-interface, running on the unit itself, somewhat conceptually similar to the user interface of an ethernet router etc.

This, plus the ability to store/load complete or partial device setups to some remote location (PC mass storage), could be very helpful for a lot of applications. Together with the present firmware upload the complete state of a unit used eg. for a measurement could be transferred to the same unit later again, or another unit of equal or similar (and compatible) hardware revision.

More EQ colors!!! smile

And if possible to turn off the lights on the power button and the volume ring (just LCD screen work).

Or reduce the light intensity on these buttons - separated or in sync with \ Display Option \ LCD Brightness.

Thank you!

....and Bluetooth/wifi receiver.

It would be great if we could get a new set of IR codes that correspond to the 20 EQ presets available.  Otherwise we end up having to use 1 of the 9 setups there are. Which is pretty inconvenient.

60 (edited by rja4000 2019-09-21 17:53:02)

Hi
I'd like to use 2 x RME ADI-2 Pro for measurements.

Setting one as a DAC @44.1kHz and the other one as an ADC @192kHz, as an example.

But currently, the Windows 10 MADI driver bevhaviour seems erratic:
Sometimes, I'm able to set 2 different frequencies (using ASIO4ALL for the ADC), sometimes both are forced to the same.
And as both boxes appear under the same "ASIO Madiface USB" name, it's hard to know which is which.
And the software I use can't see they are actually independent boxes.

I tried by setting the "ADC" box to ADDA and INT clock to 192kHz, but this gets overwritten by the USB setting anyway.
Even in the "MADIFace series settings", sample rate can't be configured.
Any suggestion ?

Would that be possible to allow the user to rename the channels through the "Madiface series settings", as an example ?
I could then give a label to each box and label the channels accordingly.

A little request: to have the possibility to map "Source: Auto" on the ADI-2 DAC remote smile  That would be very convenient for me.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

62 (edited by modmix 2019-10-03 19:01:31)

KSTR wrote:

In this context I may repeat that IMHO it is pity that the Adi-2 Pro FS doesn't offer any kind of remote parameter access, preferably with USB connection.

+1
After one week of testing I'm still not knowing what to find in which sub-menue and how to get there directly.
And I'm always not sure that I happend to change something by accident...
Behringer did solve that quite elegantly for its DCX2496 - just an idea.

I made a chart showing the menue structure as I didn't find one in the user's guide.
I must admit all information is in the user's guide - it's just presented in way not easy to understand (IHMO).
Would you mind I post the full-size version?
https://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=23386&stc=1&d=1570109141

Current resumee:
I will not buy the ADI-2 Pro FS - as a time-to-time user, the amount of time I need to handle that gizmo is just too high.

modmix:

Thumbs up ;-) .

Manual chapter 5.4, not so detailed worked out, but fully sufficient to get an overview.

Sorry, I can't understand your operational difficulties.

I use only a few settings compared to the default, store it to a profile and thats it.
At the end its only
- dynamic loudness settings for speakers and phones
- enabling auto ref level
- programming the 4 keys to my taste
After this procedure, which requires not much time, I am just using the device.
All that I have to do is to turn the volume knob and switching between analog out 1/2 and 3/4.

If a device has a lot of feature it does not mean, that you have to fiddle around with it every day.

What other things are you doing besides choosing the proper volume ?
Maybe me or somebody else can support you by giving you ideas to avoide unnecessary things.

At the end it would be interesting for everybody, what you exactly mean.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

My main interest is doing measurements.
Having a well defined setup is most important.
Volume will not be unchanged ,-)
But thanks for asking.

Well, I (and others) are doing measurements with the ADI-2 Pro all day. And the few settings that need to be verified and/or changed are easily accessed - and remembered.

You pic also nicely shows why we changed 'Hardware/Diagnosis' to 'SPDIF / Remap Keys', and 'Device Mode' to 'Device Mode / DSD' in the last firmware update. This further improved usability and navigation in the menu structure.

To change between listening mode (Loudness, PEQ and B/T On) and measurement mode (all off) simply store both states as Setups.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC !

Could be great to be able to automaticaly be switched on or off when the Mac Pro is ...on or off.. Just using the USB signal
I forget most of times to powering off the DAC-2

Could be useful in some case like mine. Because the room were sits the DAC is not my listening room.

Best

Drop the Bass ! House your body !

I would love to see support for USB HID volume in the Adi-2 DAC! (Controll the DAC Volume from Mac/Windows) This would be a huge comfort plus.

Is there a chance to implement that in a Firmwareupdate?

Kameruni wrote:

I would love to see support for USB HID volume in the Adi-2 DAC! (Controll the DAC Volume from Mac/Windows) This would be a huge comfort plus.

Is there a chance to implement that in a Firmwareupdate?

I asked about this before as I would also love to see this feature, and had confirmed that this feature is not currently implemented, but I guess you knew that. I don't have any info as to whether it is technically possible to implement it or not

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26341

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

Hello to all at RME smile,

I'm not sure, maybe it was already requested or answered somewhere else and I just didn't find it (sorry in such case).
I'd like to ask you about hardware mixing of selected physical input with one of USB playback channel pairs. Couple of times from launch someone asked me about suitability of ADI-2 DAC or ADI-2 PRO as sole audio interface for high-quality two channel recording rig.
Well.. PRO has has two great analog input channels, DAC has "hidden" feature for SPDIF capture (say from some preamp with digital out). The only missing feature is simple hardware mix (akin to input/playback mix at lot of small two channel interfaces), when for monitoring without involvement of DAW computer latency.

I'm aware, resources at FPGA aren't unlimited and lot of features is already implemented there, so another stereo bus selectable as routing source to physical outs couldn't necessarily fit.
I also know, that RME makes other recording oriented interfaces with full blown TotalMix..
Anyway I'm still curious, whether it would be technically possible or what do you think about that added feature?

All the best,

Michal

71 (edited by ramses 2019-10-10 21:48:56)

It was already answered.

The solution is to combine the ADI-2 Pro/* with a RME recording interface with TotalMix FX:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

Cheapest way i.e. in combination with Digiface USB: https://www.rme-audio.de/de_digiface-usb.html

Gives you i.e. nice galvanic isolation and an unique feature of this device is, that all 4 ADAT ports support SPDIF protocol, by this you can i.e. compare several D/A converter setups or connect other devices as required and also integrate ARC USB into the setup .. you can even compare to connect the DAC to the preamp or to the poweramp (if the amp supports this):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ns66x3bs08brmb/Digiface%20USB%20for%20galvanic%20isolation.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,

thank you for the reply. I know, there is always the option to combine ADI-2 with some other RME interface, I'm also big fan of those and personally use three of them myself (including mentioned Digiface USB), plus did lot of projects, installed their full blown interfaces there and can also imagine all the advantages of such setup.
However my question was about use ADI-2 as a sole audio interface for small two channel setup. I/Os are already there, it's usable with DAW and that hardware mixing will be really nice addition.
Can you recall reasons or point me for the answer, why it was dismissed? Was it due to technical restrictions or possible "clash" with other product line?

Michal

73 (edited by ramses 2019-10-11 12:39:07)

You can use ADI-2 Pro/* as audio interface for small two channel setup, but it has never been designed to be a recording interface with TotalMix FX.

The ADI-2 Pro/* is the successor of a 2-channel AD/DA converter (the older ADI-2) and has been designed to be additionally phones preamp, USB DAC, DSD converter, etc (I think you know all the use cases from manual).

Mr Carstens told already in a few threads that the FPGA capacity of the ADI-2 Pro/* is full. See also the comment in the manual, that there are never enough FPGA resources from a developers standpoint.
And if I remember right the manual has already some notes that in DSD mode some of the features need to be turned off to preserve some processing power for DSD.

The reserves that are in the ADI-2 Pro/* are being used by RME for firmware/feature upgrades that are possible and do not overload the FPGA, based on own ideas and user feedback. Since over 2+ years we can see upgrades, which make the great product even smarter.

But if you need TM FX then you need to combine ADI-2 Pro/* with a recording interface which is designed to support things like TM FX and then also offers the i/o ports that you usually need on top for recording (Mic/Instr Inputs, some more analog inputs, MIDI, ..).

Vice versa it has also been said, that things like PEQ, dynamic loudness, high power preamps, etc won't be implemented in the normal recording interfaces. So these are unique features for the ADI-2 Pro/DAC product line.

As nice as it would be to have all features in every device .. think about costs. It makes no sense to design and release products that only very few people would / could afford.

Its better to buy two products that are both designed for a certain purpose and to be affordable, than to design and release products that will stay in the status unaffordable "dreamware" for most.

And it gives you more flexibility. The normal HiFi listener just gets the ADI-2 DAC, he doesnt need to pay for things that he does not require (TotalMix FX).
If people want to record the usual quality of recording interfaces is already at a very high level and full sufficient.
Here the people need more I/O that you would also expect from an analog or digital Mixer.

In both szenarios you can slowly upgrade and buy a 2nd device when you have demand and money for it and this gives you more flexibility compared having to spend much money just right now for one monolithic product.

Thank you again Ramses for expanding. As I've said before, I'm aware about those two possible aspects - finite resources of FPGA or simply RME's decision to don't do that for the "converter" lineup, both absolutely valid reasons. I was curious for direct answer from RME or MC himself smile

To further clarify a bit.. I'm not seeking for a workaround, alternative setup or want TotalMix there (just one stereo mix bus simply controlled from hardware, but maybe FPGA is really used by other great features, but I can just guess). If it would be for myself, I'd simply use my Digiface or whatever and used ADI as a converter for I/O and monitoring and still have room for further I/O expansion. I also always replied to all people asking me about the feature along the lines, you wrote to me. Well then it's up to them, how they decide, if they also get additional digital interface or say go with Lynx Hilo, Prism Lyra with hardware mixing (and yes then miss some other unique feature of ADI wink.

All the best,

Michal

75 (edited by ramses 2019-10-11 13:06:23)

Of course only my subjective view on things based on manual and forum comments from RME....
I only wanted to share it with you.
If RME wants to comment on this, then you will see their answer automatically wink

Back to your point that maybe a Hilo offers users more options in that regards.
Not so sure about this.

It looks that Lynx Hilo also doesnt have something comparable to TM FX.
https://www.lynxstudio.de/de/produkte_hilo_info.html

It looks, that you are able to set, to what output you want to send audio and then to select the inputs, that you want to hear on this particular output. But not more and you have to perform this manually.
But I am not sure, whether you can perform this for every output step by step,
or whether this one screen is the current routing.

But anyway, ADI-2 Pro seems to have a different design approach, that it automatically uses the proper
routing mode for most of the use cases based on what is connected to the device.

Only in special situations you have to choose a routing mode on your own and one of them is not be choosen
automatically, as you need to do some selections on your own.

So i would say, that the ADI-2 Pro AUTO mode is more user friendly for standard szenarios because AUTO mode performs nearly everything for you automatically. And if you need special settings then you can configure it and store it in one of the config slots that you can use for different use cases.

For me it appears on the 1st glimpse to be a "matter of taste", but see no general advantage on the Lynx Hilo over the ADI-2 Pro in regards to routing.

Of course, I could be wrong as I do not own the Hilo, but as I said, on the 1st glimps it looks like this.

The ADI-2 Pro gives you all required routing either automatic or customizeable.
And tbh, it has not so many channels like a recording interface, that really demands a more flexible any to any routing.

Or can you tell, that the ADI-2 Pro has a special routing that you require, which is not supported ?

In regards to the Prism Lyra 2, its not a converter type of device, its an USB audio interface or what we usually call a
"recording device".

Its a device that costs nearly €1000 more than the ADI-2 Pro, but is on the other hand missing some of the features of the ADI-2 Pro.

IMHO you can better compare the ADI-2 Pro with the Hilo than with the Lyra 2. And still the focus is different.
RME developed IMHO the roundest package of all, with an excellent price / performance ratio.

77 (edited by DominicPerry 2019-10-12 13:44:27)

Yup, I'd like an inbuilt mixer too for exactly the purpose described - just a way of routing the analogue input to analogue output, without going to the DAW, in addition to playing back the DAW mix. It would avoid having to buy a Digiface or UFX just for the purpose. I'd happily give up all the EQ and filter options to do this - 6ms round trip latency is just too much for some vocalists and drummers, as things stand.
Given that the existing firmware is 'full', I guess this would have to be an alternative firmware load. I can understand that RME may not want to spend their time on it.
What is clear is that, no matter how many times Ramses keeps saying it can't be done or it won't be done or you should just connect the ADI-2 Pro to another interface, this is a thing that some people would like, me included. I agree that RME may not do it, but that's a different issue.

78 (edited by ramses 2019-10-12 14:26:19)

> [...] What is clear is that, no matter how many times Ramses keeps saying it [...]

Hey, don't get me wrong wink And to make my position and intention clear:

I am only repeating my view and what has been told already on the forum, gents.
Especially for those people who appearently are not regulary visiting and reading the (complete) RME  forum.

I am pretty sure that your comments / requests / wishes are being heard by RME !

I only give to you my personal comments / views why things are as they are based on information from forum
that I remember plus maybe some personal estimations. In my job I am also doing design related work,
therefore a certain general interest on such topics from my side.

I think this might have been mentioned here before, but I'll mention it also.

Swap channels (left/right) would be nice at times. Sometimes when I'm screwing with multiple headphones or IEMs, one has an intentionally reversed cable (don't ask) and it would be nice to be able to reverse the channels. Not an issue when I'm using an external amp or speakers because I can change the cables, but that can't be done unbalanced on the ADI-2 Pro FS itself.

80 (edited by jiw 2019-10-15 05:18:50)

Luckbad wrote:

I think this might have been mentioned here before, but I'll mention it also.

Swap channels (left/right) would be nice at times. Sometimes when I'm screwing with multiple headphones or IEMs, one has an intentionally reversed cable (don't ask) and it would be nice to be able to reverse the channels. Not an issue when I'm using an external amp or speakers because I can change the cables, but that can't be done unbalanced on the ADI-2 Pro FS itself.

Set width to -1.00. See manual p. 21.

Manual: https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/downloa … rofs_e.pdf

Thanks! I swear I looked in the manual and didn't find it. Must've used the wrong keywords.

https://youtu.be/_EpeD-rhvLo?t=713

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

83 (edited by mark2748 2019-10-16 06:17:19)

sinarca wrote:

....and Bluetooth/wifi receiver.

Agreed, streaming is becoming a necessity for more and more people.

It would be a terrific feature if WiFi (UPnP/DLNA player or built-in Chromecast) was included at current price point.

As is, will sound quality be preserved if ADI-2 DAC is fed by Toslink from a Chromecast Audio receiver?

Hi Guys, im a proud new owner of Adi2 Pro fs Black Edition. Leaving here some requests:

Auto turn off (when no sound for more then 15m, 30m, etc)
Main volume knob assignable
Switch between the two rear outputs
RMS metering as an option

Let's all be aware that the resources on the physical device are limited, as MC has explained here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 17#p145617
This obviously must restrict the kind of features to those which are not hungry on resources and have a chance to fit in the little remaining space of memory and computing power that is left. Besides that, the hardware is a given, we're dealing with suggestions here that can be implemented by software alone, don't we?

86 (edited by bokko 2019-10-30 00:52:33)

At this price point using Roon. I have no problem adding a PC, Mac or UsBridge Signature to become a roon endpoint.
If you run the Allo version of Dietpi you get these exact features.
https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2317
Prefer Roon myself.

87 (edited by 1987maszynista 2019-11-14 15:55:02)

Hello. Hello.
I am a happy owner of Rme adi 2 pro ae and diana abyss smile
For happiness is missing in the rme easily accessible eq profiles in the rme. Many listeners are looking for more musicality, mountain, bass. It's nice to have even 50 ready-made profiles divided into categories (musicality, bass, general, e.g. tube sound, etc.).
Sam experiments a lot with eq, but for me and for such looser users without technical knowledge it would be a great option.

Language versions of the manual and menu smile

Paid option to ubgardu hardware to higher versions . Every user would have a chance to have hardware with the best processor.

Sorry for translator.

Based on my neighboring topic about routing, my feature request is as following:
allow internal routing from any set of inputs to any set of outputs.

It seems you have to select only one source for analog outs currently, which makes it more complicated if you need to feed signal from analog in and digital in into your analog out during your work session (e.g. for guitar recording and re-amping you need this all the time). It's probably not a very typical use case, but I know that some competitors (e.g. lynx hilo) have an ability to send any set of inputs to any set of outputs with no issue (but I love RME and definitely don't want to go with them big_smile)

Dear RME,

I love my ADI-2 Pro FS to bits, great box, exemplary product philosophy, even the manual is one of the best and most educative one I can think about.
I would have one request on the analyser, while recording it is always pretty useful to get a feeling for the L/R phase issues. If I understand well, you independently analyse L and R signals to take the max (or similar) instead of summing to take care of phase opposition issues. Would it be possible somehow to visualise the phase correlation per band as, say, the colour of each band? Could be shades of green to red for correlations going from 1 to -1, grey at 0 for instance. Having that per band is super useful to detect a cabling issue on one instrument or just getting a feeling for the "spaciality" of the record. Last thing you want is negative L/R correlations on your lower bands for instance. Plus, it definitely looks great.

Thanks,
BZ

Is there a way to get the DAC to display bit depth? If not, it's my feature request. Having the sample rate is important but bit depth is also important. As more and more streaming services are claiming various things it's good to know what the DAC is seeing. Yes, I realize they can upsample but displaying the bit depth along with the sample rate would still have value.

91 (edited by KaiS 2020-02-05 02:29:56)

NUMBER OF EQ PRESET SLOTS.

I'd kindly ask to increase the number of EQ Preset Slots.
22 is far too few for me, and I can't imagine the reason for this small number in such a versatile device.

999 or unlimited would just be fine for me, I'm not kidding.
This wouldn't mean any inconvenience for anybody, no one is forced to use the additional ones.

Currently I have to "export" EQ presets by writing them down, not quite an up to time method.

BTW: I just got my ADI-2 Pro 10 days ago and do use it intensively since.
Kudos, Matthias, what a great piece of gear!

92 (edited by Pitrs 2020-02-05 08:07:40)

What for would you need 999 EQ presets after 10 days of use?

How would you implement an unlimited memory size if you require unlimited storage space?

The resources in the ADIs are limited. A higher number of presets is not possible. For the intended applications it is already more than enough.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Of course I dont need 999 presets already, but having and using a lot of headphones 22 slots filled up fast.

I'm using measurement equipment for making the EQ settings.
Then usually I'm doing several variations for each headphone to evaluate which one sounds best.
Most times then, more than one preset stays.
ADI-2 Pro's capabilities "revived" a lot of my collection by correcting tonal flaws.

"Unlimited" might not be taken literally, but only Matthias and others of the developers team might know where the memory limit is.
Therefore I did not want to ask for a certain number as upper limit.

I guess an EQ preset does not take much memory.

BTW: I corrected a typo, now there is an unintentional doubling of my first posting. Can be deleted to save at least this space smile

95 (edited by ramses 2020-02-05 10:52:11)

Don't get me wrong, but who needs so many phones and to correct them all for "optimal performance"
or even 3-4 different EQ settings ?

For your own usage you have maybe only 1-3 phones for maybe different purposes:
- HiFi
- Mixing
- Closed Phones for recording.

If you sell this as intellectual property to customers then you surely work on one phone and once this work has been done, then you make some notes in Excel or wherever about the used PEQ settings and then the next model is due.

Alternatively my advice to you is, to simply use the EQ of a DAW product and work there with 5 bands and simply using the same parameter ranges of the RME PEQ.

Then you can store as many different entries on your PC as you want.
IMHO no need to have this all on the ADI...

You should be able to use any EQ on a DAW allowing for approx 5 bands.

If you want to have a real nice one then get Fabfilter Pro Q3 on Black friday or whenever to save a few bucks ..
https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro- … er-plug-in

I think the memory is very cheap, but I do understand that once the product has been released it is very difficult to make changes.

On the other hand, this problem, and many others, could have been solved if we had some sort of control app (it does not have to be TMFX) on a computer, where we could have stored "unlimited" number of presets. At this point, I do not need so many presets, but I would like to have the convenience of accessing all features of ADI from the computer screen. Therefore, I would like to request this feature.

I also understand that ADI is technically a "converter," rather than the "interface," but the designation does not preclude having control of the "converter" from an app. By the way, doesn't "I" in ADI stand for Interface?

I have also seen an argument that this would make the interface more expensive, but it is also expensive to use another interface with ADI. I use UFX, because I need dynamics and EQ in my workflow, but even the use of Digiface USB adds cost.

In any case, and regardless of what is possible or reasonable, I would like to humbly request the ability to have a full control of ADI with an app, and possibly TMFX. If this is not possible in ADI-2, maybe we can have ADI-3 smile

METERS AND ANALYSER

Meters:
I like the "Dual" option on the Horizontal Meters, showing Pre-Fx input (thin meters) and output level (bold meters + numerical) at the same time.
I'd just like to have an option to reverse this arrangement to have detailed, even numerical, control over the source signal while maintaining a course view on the output.

Analyser:
Currently it's showing the "Post-Fx" signal.
I'd think Pre-Fx would make more sense, or an option would be welcome.

If the Analyser could be shown in a special "Measurement Mode" during EQ setup instead of the Bode Plot the following could be done:
A measurement mic would be connected to the analog input and it's response could be displayed during setting up an EQ, like this:

Path1: PinkNoise-> USB or Dig. Input-> EQ-> ADI Output 1/2-> Loudspeaker
Path2: Loudspeakers-> Mic-> Analog Input-> Analyser

For Pink Noise based measurements the Analyser could use slower time constants anyway, which could be activated with the "Measurement Mode".

98 (edited by integra 2020-02-11 04:05:34)

Mic connected to the Input? How to? With external mic preamp?
RME Analyzer work in 3 octave mode. Use white noise for measurements with carefully leveling of amplification to protect twitter.
More practical is use any of many notebooks. Audiotester software 3.0 and calibrated USB Mic. Test signals sending from analog outs of laptop directly to Amplifier. Quality of internal audiochip is good enough for this.
Calibration Mic+Audiotester+Laptop is more simple without add RME(or different sound interface)to the this ring. Another good application to do audio measurement is RMAA software.
But you request to RME is interesting. Simply add mic preamp to future ADI2 Pro ++ and calibration mode. This mode may be good to see in additional tool of DIGIcheck software.

Connecting a usual measurement mic (sensitivity 10mV/Pa) to the Analog In, and using the 6dB boost, showed usable display (-50dB line) on the Analyzer at an acoustic level of ca. 88dB SPL with Pink Noise.
With a more sensitive Bruel&Kjaer 4165 (50mV/Pa) Pink Noise of ca. 74dB SPL touched the -50dB line.

88dB SPL is quite loud with Pink Noise (workaround see below), but won't damage a loudspeaker.
It's ca. 1-4 Watts RMS with most speakers.
Some mW's only on headphones.

So, just without preamp, a battery- or externally-powered measurement mic is already sufficient to use the analyser.

Even with what the ADI-2 Pro is now:
- you can use a measurement mic at Analog In, routed to 3/4 and the Analyzer;
- while putting Pink Noise through corrective EQ to Output 1/2, to speakers or headphones.
It's just that you don't see the Analyzer during EQ set up now.
You have to switch back and forth between EQ on 1/2 and Analyzer display on 3/4.

BTW: the mic- and therefore the display-level can be almost linear boosted by 12dB (mis-)using the EQ in the Analyser channel 3/4, then it's possible to run lower sound levels:
Band1: G:+12dB F:20.0k Q:0.5 low Shelving
Band4: G:  +5dB F:20.0k Q:3.4

Conclusion: it kind of works, but some tweaks (see above) would turn the ADI-2 Pro into a convenient selfcontained EQ/Analyzer system.

Hallo Kai, und willkommen zurück!

KaiS wrote:

METERS AND ANALYSER

Analyser: Currently it's showing the "Post-Fx" signal.
I'd think Pre-Fx would make more sense, or an option would be welcome.

Showing the input spectral level is not important from a DAC view. The post level will tell you when you overload the DAC, because you raised bass, treble or anything else. It can't be overloaded on the (digital) input side. Also we try to not overload (the already overloaded) unit with features that nobody needs. You are the first to want pre FX spectrals, after several years and many sold units.

Regarding the other Analyzer wishes: sorry, but this unit is not intended to do all this. Nor do we have the resources left to add all this. Right now we have to reserve the remaining resources for unexpected bug fixes and maybe one or the other improvement or feature change.

I see it this way: the unit is matured now, currently bug-free and does a lot well and right. Seeing less firmware updates in the future than in the last years is a good sign, IMHO.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME