Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Hi

I am successfully using the FF400 in the following chain:
Mac mini M1 TB3 Port -> TB3 to TB2 adapter -> TB2 to FW800 adapter -> FW800 to FW400 adapter -> RME FF400

Because the Mac mini only comes with two TB3 ports, I like to connect my FF400 through a hub. The bandwidth should be able to allow that, no?. So that would fee up one TB3 port on the mini.

Mac mini M1 TB3 Port -> TB3 hub -> TB3 to TB2 adapter -> TB2 to FW800 adapter -> FW800 to FW400 adapter -> RME FF400

I tried the “Anker Powerexpand USB-C” hub in the TB3 port. But this doesn’t work.

Any tips to get this kind of chaining working?

Many thanks!

A USB-C hub usually is a USB hub, not a TB hub. TB is for power delivery and convenience only. The price alone will tell you that. Everything below 200 Euros will not have one real TB3 in and 1 or 2 real TB3 outs.

From 200 Euros up you are in docking station territory. But even there I am not aware of a simple one TB in 2 TB out unit. All I know have one in and one out so you gain nothing. Don't know why - my monitor can do exactly that, one in and two out (TB2 though).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

103 (edited by hselters 2021-03-08 06:53:11)

If you can wait a little then maybe get something like the CalDigit Element Hub or OWC Thunderbolt 4 Hub Docking Station (both around 150). Otherwise any other thunderbolt dock will be fine.
If you’re lucky you might also find a used OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock with Firewire.
I would also consider buying a Firewire800 to 400 cable to have one adapter less.

Hi all,

My MBP crashes when going to sleep. It reboots "because of a problem" when I retake on work. The error report starts

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800d689d2a): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily. […]"

It is much longer, but I didn't want to spam the forum, not knowing if this issue is related to macOS 11 or the Babyface driver (or whatever is responsible for "power state change callbacks"…)

If helpful, I can provide the entire report.
I'd of course be glad to get rid of the crashes, so if there's something I should and can do, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

MBP14,2 (Intel i5 3,1 GHz) • macOS 11.2.2 • Babyface Pro FS • FW v129 • Driver v3.24 • TM FX 1.72

105 (edited by iamweith 2021-03-09 16:54:58)

Hi all,

Since the last updates in big Sur , especially 11.2 my FF400 is not detected anymore at startup (red host light ON) and no way to play sound through the FF. This is resolved after I plug and unplug the FF to my iMac mini M1 (I use a firewire cable 400 to 800-> tb2->tb3 all mac adaptors which worked fine before). It's annoying to have to do this each startup so I was wondering if I could do something to fix this.

The other bug I noticed that is worse is that I now have trouble sending midi OUT through the FF400 to my synths. I've discovered that I have to go to Audio-MIDI devices in my system preferences in order to refresh the window for it to start sending out MIDI.

I regret doing this update since everything was going perfect . Thought there might be some CPU and VST related benefits that might be worth it but I guess it was the bad call.

I'm posting this here but if I should do another thread please let me know.

Thank you for the continuous support of your legacy products, you're the best.

MC wrote:

Update 2021/01/12

A new network driver for Digiface AVB and Dante restoring full functionality under macOS 11 is now available. Note that the Dante Controller from Audinate is not yet available as M1 version.

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/rme_netifc_mac.zip

See readme for details.

I am unable to get this network driver to work.  I have a new Digiface Dante that I received this week.  I am connecting it to an iMac Pro.  The iMac Pro is running Big Sur 11.2.1.  It has never had any RME drivers installed previously, so this is all new installation directly under Big Sur.  The audio driver installed fine and is working, and I can get Dante audio in and out of the system.  Firmware on the Digiface is updated to v37.  But I install the network driver (downloaded on 2021-03-08),  reboot, and yet I get no new feth interface (as confirmed with "ifconfig -a" since System Preferences doesn't display feth interfaces).  I confirmed that the legacy USB Ethernet kext is not found in /System/Library/...  However, I do use ZeroTier and it also creates a feth interface, so maybe that is causing a conflict with your new BigSur network driver?

Are there any logs I can look for to see what it is complaining about?

Should I open a direct support ticket for this?  I am new to RME, so unsure if these forums are the preferred means to report issues like this.

Cheers

Download the netifc again, but from the website. This is a newer version uploaded yesterday.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Download the netifc again, but from the website. This is a newer version uploaded yesterday.

Just tried that.  However, still not getting the Digiface Dante virtual network showing up:

CAWs-iMac-Pro:~ cwichura$ ifconfig -a | grep feth
feth8698: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    peer: feth3698
feth3698: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 5000 mtu 1500
    peer: feth8698

Only the ZeroTier feth interfaces are present.

Wastl wrote:

Hi all,

My MBP crashes when going to sleep. It reboots "because of a problem" when I retake on work. The error report starts

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800d689d2a): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily. […]"

It is much longer, but I didn't want to spam the forum, not knowing if this issue is related to macOS 11 or the Babyface driver (or whatever is responsible for "power state change callbacks"…)

If helpful, I can provide the entire report.
I'd of course be glad to get rid of the crashes, so if there's something I should and can do, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Sorry for bumping this – any clues at hand? Thank you!

MBP14,2 (Intel i5 3,1 GHz) • macOS 11.2.2 • Babyface Pro FS • FW v129 • Driver v3.24 • TM FX 1.72

110 (edited by cyrano 2021-03-13 09:39:51)

If it was my M1 MBP, I'd arrange for an exchange. Apple's not difficult about it and the "wake from sleep crash" seems to be known.

Update your current machine to the latest BS before running to the Apple store. If not, they'll do it for you and that just means more waiting.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cwichura wrote:
MC wrote:

Just tried that.  However, still not getting the Digiface Dante virtual network showing up:

CAWs-iMac-Pro:~ cwichura$ ifconfig -a | grep feth
feth8698: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    peer: feth3698
feth3698: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 5000 mtu 1500
    peer: feth8698

Only the ZeroTier feth interfaces are present.

Unfortunately the upload did not work, so you downloaded the old file again. There is an even newer netifc now, that includes some changes that might make it work in parallel to ZeroTier. Please try (see readme4.txt for details).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi all
i am using RME babyface pro fs on M1 chip.
I install the driver but there is sometimes dropout and glitch.
Why is it? i am using with this hub
https://i.ibb.co/wr02xCd/IMG-0068.png

113 (edited by breun 2021-03-18 23:36:47)

perdixpretioza wrote:

i am using RME babyface pro fs on M1 chip.
I install the driver but there is sometimes dropout and glitch.
Why is it? i am using with this hub

The manual for the Babyface Pro FS says: "Please make sure the Babyface Pro can have the full voltage/current delivered from the computer by using hi-quality USB cables (like the one included), no USB extension cables and no USB hubs."

So I would try it without using a USB hub, but just a simple USB-A to USB-C adapter. (Or get a USB-B to USB-C cable if you want to use just a single cable and not use the included USB-B to USB-A cable.)

Any suggestions for what I should try ?

Nothing I've tried makes my RME start-up properly at Mac startup and MIDI issue is still here

iamweith wrote:

Hi all,

Since the last updates in big Sur , especially 11.2 my FF400 is not detected anymore at startup (red host light ON) and no way to play sound through the FF. This is resolved after I plug and unplug the FF to my iMac mini M1 (I use a firewire cable 400 to 800-> tb2->tb3 all mac adaptors which worked fine before). It's annoying to have to do this each startup so I was wondering if I could do something to fix this.

The other bug I noticed that is worse is that I now have trouble sending midi OUT through the FF400 to my synths. I've discovered that I have to go to Audio-MIDI devices in my system preferences in order to refresh the window for it to start sending out MIDI.

I regret doing this update since everything was going perfect . Thought there might be some CPU and VST related benefits that might be worth it but I guess it was the bad call.

iamweith wrote:

Nothing I've tried makes my RME start-up properly at Mac startup and MIDI issue is still here

iamweith wrote:

Hi all,

Same here with my Mac Mini. Have to unplug and replug after Startup to get the FF400 working.

Will there ever be drivers which do not require the 'Reduced Security'-mode? Does Big Sur offer new APIs for that purpose?

MC wrote:

Unfortunately the upload did not work, so you downloaded the old file again. There is an even newer netifc now, that includes some changes that might make it work in parallel to ZeroTier. Please try (see readme4.txt for details).

The new driver does make feth10001 available now.  However, it appears you are using a hardcoded MAC address for the virtual Ethernet port.  I have two Digiface Dantes, one on my PC rig and one on my Mac rig.  Both are using the same MAC address, which causes network conflicts.  So I can only run Dante Controller from one of the two systems.  Running it on both simultaneously leads to hiccups...  Please fix this (for both PC and Mac)!  Make it pick a MAC address on first run and then store that somewhere.

And the other unfortunate part about you having to use feth now is that Dante does not recognize it as a valid Ethernet port on Mac.  So Rednet Control doesn't allow it to be selected, even though Rednet Control is just control and not audio.  (I have no interest or need with the Digiface to run audio from DVS/DVia over the virtual Ethernet port since the Digiface provides proper Dante audio channels.)  Not sure if this is something you can work with Audinate on to get them to relax their interface filter rules on Big Sur...

I wonder if you are two versions back. Please check the zip that you downloaded. The latest version includes a rme_netifc_mac6.txt.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I wonder if you are two versions back. The latest version includes a rme_netifc_mac6.txt.

Yes, the version I had previously downloaded was mac4.txt.  I downloaded the new one and looked at the release notes.  It's great you've already addressed the duplicate MAC address issue.  But in the end, I have uninstalled your net driver and purchased a cheap USB Ethernet adapter that I have connected to the second Primary Dante port on the Digiface with a one foot Ethernet cable.  The inability to use RedNet Control with feth interfaces is, unfortunately, a deal breaker for me.  The USB dongle gives me a standard "en" interface which is seen by the Dante APIs as a fully supported interface.  And I have spare ports on my existing USB hub, so it doesn't cost me a port on the iMac Pro.  (FWIW, the Digiface is connected directly to the iMac Pro, not via a USB hub.  It's one of the few devices with that privilege on my system...)

Here is a Windows flash tool that updates your DF Dantes to v38, giving them a unique Mac adress each. Please try:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_m … te_v38.zip

> And the other unfortunate part about you having to use feth now is that Dante does not recognize it as a valid Ethernet port on Mac

I wonder why it works for me. Did you use the wrong port? From all feth only 10000 will show a valid IP in the Configure Dante Interface dialog. And that feth10000 is the one that should be used (not the 10001 you mentioned above).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

121 (edited by cwichura 2021-03-30 12:50:45)

MC wrote:

> And the other unfortunate part about you having to use feth now is that Dante does not recognize it as a valid Ethernet port on Mac

I wonder why it works for me. Did you use the wrong port? From all feth only 10000 will show a valid IP in the Configure Dante Interface dialog.

The issue is feth interfaces only work if you uncheck the 'shared' option in the Dante Controller network interface selector.  This allows it to work for Dante Controller.  But RedNet Control doesn't give you that "non-shared" option; it only works in Dante's "shared" interface mode.  And that means everything that isn't an "en" interface gets filtered out and is unavailable, because Dante doesn't think it is a "real" Ethernet interface.  (Dante also filters vlan interfaces out, which would be another way I could bring it into the Mac.)

Thanks for the explanation. Did the new firmware work for you (Mac adress)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry, I haven't tried it since I already abandoned using the Digiface Ethernet on the Mac and am using a separate USB Ethernet dongle, as stated above.  And since I am not using it on the Mac, the Digiface Dante on the PC no longer sees conflicts.  While I expect the firmware is a relatively minor change, the PC is my main production rig so I can't really go testing stuff on it.  I can only do that on the Mac, which is the secondary machine (though still important).  I hope you understand.

MuMan wrote:
iamweith wrote:

iamweith wrote:

Hi all,

Same here with my Mac Mini. Have to unplug and replug after Startup to get the FF400 working.

Same here!
Any tips?

Did anyone try the HDSPe driver with a PCIe card in a TB expansion chassis yet?

I should be able to test that in a week or two (OWC AKiTiO node duo), but was curious if there was anything I should look out for.

Thanks!

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=16182

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Oh thanks-

But that's with an intel MBA right?  I was curious if it works, or is expected to work with the M1 machines.

We use our M1 like that - it's how we test the drivers for all HDSPe series cards. We use Netstor and Sonnet, but others should work as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Did the new firmware work for you (Mac adress)?

Finally had a bit of downtime to update the Digiface Dante on the main Windows PC to firmware 38.  And now Dante Controller does not work on the machine.  I see the Ethernet interface, I can ping the various devices on that interface.  But Dante Controller (v4.3.3.15) starts up and while it knows there are 5 Dante devices out there, and shows their names (but names only!) on the "Network Status" tab, all other tabs are blank.  RedNet Control also no longer sees any of the Dante devices.

Update was:
* Run update tool (downloaded today from the main RME downloads page)
* Unplug Digiface from computer
* Unplug power adapter from Digiface
* Wait ~10 seconds
* Replug power adapter to Digiface
* Replug USB to the computer
<at this point, all kinds of broken.  Can't ping anything on the Dante network despite Digiface ethernet interface showing back up>
* Reboot computer
* Verify Digiface Ethernet shows up and has correct IP address and can ping all devices on the Dante network
* Run Dante Controller, which fails to find anything as described above.
* Run Dante Controller on the Mac, and it is able to see and manage the entire Dante network.  The Digiface on the Windows PC has successfully auto-resubscribed all its Dante subscriptions.
* Verify that audio in and out of the Digiface is working correctly (it is)

I have the workaround of using the Mac to run Dante Controller to manage things.  But it's REALLY inconvenient that Dante Controller is now broken on the Windows PC.

I've been trying to remove the Realtek USB audio driver from the Anker PowerExpand Elite that becomes visible after I switch on the Anker which installs this driver for it's headphone output. Anker support doesn't seem to know this and I was wondering if it's possible to remove this driver alltogether and how to do this?

harmamusic wrote:

the only thing I notice is that the volume of the main output seems to be reset often to max volume?

I noticed today that starting Cubase Pro 10.5 the volume of AN 1/2 was reset twice during startup

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=10662

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

harmamusic wrote:

I've been trying to remove the Realtek USB audio driver from the Anker PowerExpand Elite that becomes visible after I switch on the Anker which installs this driver for it's headphone output. Anker support doesn't seem to know this and I was wondering if it's possible to remove this driver alltogether and how to do this?

Not sure what this is about - wrong forum?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Microphone
Any audio apps need to have the Microphone rights enabled here.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

MC wrote:
harmamusic wrote:

Not sure what this is about - wrong forum?

Not the wrong forum, I'm using the Babyface Pro FS on the M1 and it's working great. I just want to avoid any other output devices altogether besides the Babyface but how to remove a driver is somehow pretty badly documented.

MC wrote:
harmamusic wrote:

the only thing I notice is that the volume of the main output seems to be reset often to max volume?

I noticed today that starting Cubase Pro 10.5 the volume of AN 1/2 was reset twice during startup

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=10662

Found the option in Cubase 11 and removed the check mark in Control panel! Thanks!

harmamusic wrote:

Not the wrong forum, I'm using the Babyface Pro FS on the M1 and it's working great. I just want to avoid any other output devices altogether besides the Babyface but how to remove a driver is somehow pretty badly documented.

If you want to remove the driver for an Anker PowerExpand Elite, I think this is not really the right forum to ask. I would check the documentation for that product, or consult Anker's support.

I would personally just leave that other driver and just configure my audio application to use my RME device and be done with it. Or configure it as my system default audio device if I wanted.

cwichura wrote:
MC wrote:

I wonder why it works for me. Did you use the wrong port? From all feth only 10000 will show a valid IP in the Configure Dante Interface dialog.

The issue is feth interfaces only work if you uncheck the 'shared' option in the Dante Controller network interface selector.  This allows it to work for Dante Controller.  But RedNet Control doesn't give you that "non-shared" option; it only works in Dante's "shared" interface mode.  And that means everything that isn't an "en" interface gets filtered out and is unavailable, because Dante doesn't think it is a "real" Ethernet interface.  (Dante also filters vlan interfaces out, which would be another way I could bring it into the Mac.)

I too am having this problem. I updated to the latest firmware on my Digiface Dante and can no longer remotely control my Rednet preamps because of Rednet Control’s shortcomings. I am running a MacBook Pro with OSX Catalina. The system worked perfectly before. How do I downgrade firmware on the Digiface Dante?

Neil

With Catalina there is no need to use netifc (this thread is about macOS 11). And the mentioned feth ports are not a firmware feature. All you need to do is remove netifc and reinstall the RME Mac USB Network driver (currently v3.21).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

139 (edited by rutgermuller 2021-05-02 17:55:06)

I ordered the M1 Macbook Pro in November, and have been using it without any problems with the Fireface 802.

But now, after upgrading to macOS 11.3 I get a short audio dropout every 15/30 minutes or so. I'm using all the same hardware (via Apple recommended Satechi multiport hub) and pretty much the same software.

I just uninstalled the Blackhole virtual audio interface, that didn't help.

I (re-)installed the latest driver: "macOS 11 USB Series Driver 2021-04-24, driver_usb_mac_325.zip, USB 2/3 driver for macOS 11 and up. Version 3.25. Supports Intel and M1." That didn't help either.

I also tested using the internal 'sound card', and then indeed the drop outs are gone.

Any ideas?

Hi,

I just upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur and am not able to get my Babyface running properly. I downloaded driver_usb_mac_325 and after it installed but before it restarted I approved the app from the developer in the System Preferences - Security & Privacy - General.

After the restart TotalMix doesn't bring up a window -- if I open Fireface USB it seems like the Babyface is connected but the sample rate is reset to 32kHz. Nothing is available as a sound device.

The really weird part is when I run the driver install again at the end it says "The installation was successful." and TotalMix pops up and the BabyFace is available as normal -- but the installer forces me to "Click Restart to begin installing the software."

After restart it's the same problem again.

Is there some way to clean the installation to try and force the security and privacy approval to come up again? It only appeared the first time and is never there since.

Thanks

neilmctavish wrote:

I too am having this problem. I updated to the latest firmware on my Digiface Dante and can no longer remotely control my Rednet preamps because of Rednet Control’s shortcomings. I am running a MacBook Pro with OSX Catalina. The system worked perfectly before. How do I downgrade firmware on the Digiface Dante?

So I think the issue here is the Audinate config file.  It stores both the name and the MAC address of the Ethernet interfaces selected (on Mac, you can use "plutil -p /Library/Preferences/com.audinate.dante.conmon.plist" to check its contents).  But with the Digiface Dante 38 firmware, the MAC has changed while the interface names stay the same.  On my Windows machine, I got it working again by selecting a different, totally unrelated interface and then setting it back to the RME interface.  This made it update the MAC address to match the new one.  I assume the same will work on MacOS.

I am a new member and this is my first post.  I am running a late 2010 Mac Pro with my Fireface 800 and additional mic pres.  I have made many excellent records and documentaries with this set up.  I read through everything on the forum and although there is much I don't understand, I appreciate the level of expertise.  It is time for a new M1 machine.  Can I get the best distilled information on running my FF800 with an M1?   I am looking for the cleanest solution, that won't take me out for an extended period.  I am willing to buy a Babyface if that is best and slave the FF800. I would prefer to use the FF800 directly and I admit I am emotionally attached to it.  Thanks for the anticipated help.

I have the same problems as some others where I can't allow the USB driver for my Babyface in the Security settings regardless of what I do. The method of booting into recovery mode is not an option unfortunately, since I am on a remotely managed device. Is there any other workaround, or is this going to be addressed in a future update?

ABS wrote:

Hi,
After the restart TotalMix doesn't bring up a window -- if I open Fireface USB it seems like the Babyface is connected but the sample rate is reset to 32kHz. Nothing is available as a sound device.

The really weird part is when I run the driver install again at the end it says "The installation was successful." and TotalMix pops up and the BabyFace is available as normal -- but the installer forces me to "Click Restart to begin installing the software."

After restart it's the same problem again.

Same exact problem (though with Fireface UCX USB).  And the "definitive solution" -- going into safe mode, adding the RME dev code to the kext-consent list -- doesn't fix it.  I'm really dead in the water here.

I'm running 11.3.1 on an Intel Mac.

145 (edited by Frekk 2021-05-05 20:39:44)

rutgermuller wrote:

I ordered the M1 Macbook Pro in November, and have been using it without any problems with the Fireface 802.

But now, after upgrading to macOS 11.3 I get a short audio dropout every 15/30 minutes or so. I'm using all the same hardware (via Apple recommended Satechi multiport hub) and pretty much the same software.

I (re-)installed the latest driver: "macOS 11 USB Series Driver 2021-04-24, driver_usb_mac_325.zip, USB 2/3 driver for macOS 11 and up. Version 3.25. Supports Intel and M1." That didn't help either.

I also tested using the internal 'sound card', and then indeed the drop outs are gone.

Any ideas?

I am having a Fireface UFX (USB 2.0) which i run into a OWC TB Dock connected to my M1. The description of your glitches sounds very similar to the glitches i experience in Logic with this setup. Every now and then the glitches occur, and recording stops and restarts regular playback, or playback just restarts when the glitches occur. When i hook up a usb-c soundcard i own to the OWC it works just fine.

What seems now to be a temporary solution is using a USB B to USB C cable connected directly to one of the ports on the Macbook (I have to test this more) This also suggest to me that its not an issue with RME or the Mac, but probably related to the Dock. I need to do some more testing though to be sure. Bandwith issue?

PS i also tested connecting RME to one of the TB ports on the OWC with USB B to USB C. The issue stilled occur. Whats interesting is that you are using a satechi (unpowered?) an me a powered dock and our issues are similar. It might be a coincidence, but still interesting if you find a solution.

146 (edited by breun 2021-05-05 23:19:09)

In general for a low-latency and stability critical application like audio I would avoid using any hubs in between the audio interface and the computer.

The manual for my Babyface Pro also says: "Please make sure the Babyface Pro can have the full voltage/current delivered from the computer by using hi-quality USB cables (like the one included), no USB extension cables and no USB hubs."

147 (edited by ndc 2021-05-06 01:48:06)

Hello all,

I just updated a 2016 MacBook Pro from Catalina to 11.3.1 and saw exactly what ABS and sramsay describe with my Babyface.

To recap:
- 3.25 driver install appeared to work normally, USB settings & Totalmix popped up (the babyface was plugged in).
- After the required restart, Totalmix won't load, USB settings show the babyface but it's set to 32k sample rate (weird), and no babyface in the system sound panel or in any apps.
- tried the recovery mode kext-consent bit, no luck there either.
- if I reinstall the driver, and before hitting restart, plug the babyface in, Totalmix pops up and we're good.  Until the restart.

Found a trick though - manually loading the kext with kmutil after the restart seems to straighten it out:

sudo kmutil load -p /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

Then plug in the babyface, and we're cooking.

and FWIW, it -does- require the sudo.  Without it, I get the following:

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Insufficient permissions for action: Unable to load 'com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID' in unprivileged request." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Insufficient permissions for action: Unable to load 'com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID' in unprivileged request.}

Variations on this occur! It seems as if it's trying to load everything in StagedExtensions, which for me included this SoftRAID thing and some VirtualBox kexts.  One of them will barf each time ...

So it seems it's not an issue with the RME driver but rather with loading old kexts, and maybe the permissions around that have changed with the OS update.

Gonna stop there because it's pretty much the limit of my understanding, but maybe this helps.

Nick

breun wrote:

In general for a low-latency and stability critical application like audio I would avoid using any hubs in between the audio interface and the computer.

The manual for my Babyface Pro also says: "Please make sure the Babyface Pro can have the full voltage/current delivered from the computer by using hi-quality USB cables (like the one included), no USB extension cables and no USB hubs."

Thank you. I will try this with my Fireface 802 audio dropouts problem as well. But first I ran macOS First Aid on my internal SSD. It found and repaired some issues... let's see.

Frekk wrote:
rutgermuller wrote:

Any ideas?

I am having a Fireface UFX (USB 2.0) which i run into a OWC TB Dock connected to my M1. The description of your glitches sounds very similar to the glitches i experience in Logic with this setup. Every now and then the glitches occur, and recording stops and restarts regular playback, or playback just restarts when the glitches occur. When i hook up a usb-c soundcard i own to the OWC it works just fine.

What seems now to be a temporary solution is using a USB B to USB C cable connected directly to one of the ports on the Macbook (I have to test this more) This also suggest to me that its not an issue with RME or the Mac, but probably related to the Dock. I need to do some more testing though to be sure. Bandwith issue?

PS i also tested connecting RME to one of the TB ports on the OWC with USB B to USB C. The issue stilled occur. Whats interesting is that you are using a satechi (unpowered?) an me a powered dock and our issues are similar. It might be a coincidence, but still interesting if you find a solution.

Thanks for sharing. Yep that sounds very similar. I will probably test the USB-B USB-C workaround soon.

I can't really pinpoint which software causes it. But I did notice some odd CPU spikes in Ableton that seem to correlate with the drop outs (and sometimes glitchy drop outs). It's just weird that this happened since upgrading from macOS 11.2 to 11.3.

I think the glitches occur when I power the macBook via the USB-C multihub as well as when I power the MacBook directly and leave the hub unpowered.

Maybe you could have a look in the Console at events occurring around the time of the CPU spikes in Ableton?

Could rule out an Ableton or a PSU issue.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...