Re: RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS: Feature Requests

Not a device feature request, but could you please add dark mode on your site and forums?

KSTR wrote:

You know the RME is on when the inside illumination (organge LEDs) is on, and by simply touching it (it's warm), or by just touching any of the dials.

The DAC does not have these inside LEDs...that's a Premium Pro feature wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi , i just arrived here as a  music lover but technical completely dummy, after a long walk through internet sites and reading a lot at audiosciencereview.com. I took my 1st steps in the audio streaming world via hi res abo's to Qobuz + Idagio using wifi and bluetooth connections to a Zenblue dac to my Denon PMA-QSD integrated amp.
Now I am in for a high quality pure DAC to stream from pc/laptop via usb to my Denon and then anolog to my monitors. I got good feelings with the RME ADI-2 DAC thanks to reviews and the comments & support i found at audioscience and this forum here. My humble first questions:
1) is the RME ADI-2 a good match for my Denon amp?
2) if so, where best to buy this DAC so be it supplied with the most recent updates/firmware?
Thank you for your suggestions and help!
Edjo

254 (edited by Sebastian.Athea 2021-04-19 17:52:36)

Edjo wrote:

Hi , i just arrived here as a  music lover but technical completely dummy, after a long walk through internet sites and reading a lot at audiosciencereview.com. I took my 1st steps in the audio streaming world via hi res abo's to Qobuz + Idagio using wifi and bluetooth connections to a Zenblue dac to my Denon PMA-QSD integrated amp.
Now I am in for a high quality pure DAC to stream from pc/laptop via usb to my Denon and then anolog to my monitors. I got good feelings with the RME ADI-2 DAC thanks to reviews and the comments & support i found at audioscience and this forum here. My humble first questions:
1) is the RME ADI-2 a good match for my Denon amp?
2) if so, where best to buy this DAC so be it supplied with the most recent updates/firmware?
Thank you for your suggestions and help!
Edjo

You can connect Adi-2 dac to any integrated or power amp, you'll get neutral and clean audio out of it (unless you tweak the eq then you can make it sound however you want).
Firmware is a cinch to update via usb so don't worry about it.
I would also highly recommend Pi2AES as one of the best digital interface for streaming.

255 (edited by Edjo 2021-04-19 18:08:05)

thank you so  much for your reply! Can you explain how this Pi21aes is connected in my device chain and can i manage it with an android app or windows 10? And is this Pi2AES plug&play? I read something about raspberry and did not comprehend at all.

Edjo wrote:

thank you so  much for your reply! Can you explain how this Pi21aes is connected in my device chain and can i manage it with an android app or windows 10? And is this Pi2AES plug&play? I read something about raspberry and did not comprehend at all.

https://youtu.be/sfV1T1VN6y8

257 (edited by N00b 2021-04-20 12:21:34)

MC wrote:
KSTR wrote:

You know the RME is on when the inside illumination (organge LEDs) is on, and by simply touching it (it's warm), or by just touching any of the dials.

The DAC does not have these inside LEDs...that's a Premium Pro feature wink

On the v1 DAC, I can see little green LED inside when it's on smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Feature Request: remappable source priority for source auto mode.
After making some changes to my setup auto source has become useless, could you please add a function to change the order at which sources are picked in auto mode?

Feature Request:

• Changable stand-by color

• 15 Band EQ importable via PC (e.g. APO EQ settings), I think people would go crazy if this was possible with regard to more and more people listening on PC as well

Dynamo wrote:

Feature Request:

• Changable stand-by color

I don't quite understand what you mean?

Dynamo wrote:

Feature Request:

• 15 Band EQ importable via PC (e.g. APO EQ settings), I think people would go crazy if this was possible with regard to more and more people listening on PC as well

This has been discussed here already, it's not possible with current hardware.

Hi

if you need more EQ no problem, just use a player which can do that. For example JRriver.
Or if you want superduuper EQ you can go with FIR filtering. Easy to do.  And use ADI2-Pro for output.
That way you the highest performance.

MC wrote:

That was the way it worked before (old Pro units) and got lots of complaints. Therefore we changed this in hardware, so it can't do that anymore.

Ok, understood.

Another 3rd option could be:
if the sound is not playing, the screen after 30secs switches off. When it senses the signal again (for more than 2 secs), it resumes... to show that awesome spectral wave on my desk ;-)
In fact... I'm used to keep the RME almost always on... and agree on not depleting the LEDS in a few years, but I like looking at its awesomeness when it's playing...

263 (edited by mark2748 2021-04-27 20:01:52)

jlm70 wrote:

if the sound is not playing, the screen after 30secs switches off. When it senses the signal again (for more than 2 secs), it resumes... to show that awesome spectral wave on my desk ;-)
In fact... I'm used to keep the RME almost always on... and agree on not depleting the LEDS in a few years, but I like looking at its awesomeness when it's playing...

FYI, this feature has been requested several times ...

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27986

... but still no news.  Maybe it's too much overhead to check a watch timer each time the input signal stops (and modify the menus)?

mark2748 wrote:
jlm70 wrote:

FYI, this feature has been requested several times ...
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27986
... but still no news.  Maybe it's too much overhead to check a watch timer each time the input signal stops (and modify the menus)?

Ops... sorry.
Ok, it depends from basic coding language used, hoping not for an interpreted java wink, yet to my knowledge this kind of timer shouldn't be such an issue... Thanks

+1 for being able to adjust settings via USB/API

wynpalmer wrote:
rja4000 wrote:

Hi
I like the ADi-2 Pro fs. Awesome tool and great sound.

I want to use it as a measurement soundcard.
So my question:
Would it be possible to allow
1. Backup/restore of the device setups to/from the PC via USB
2. Remote change of settings, (including Volume, Trim, Ref level, Mode, EQ, Filter, Bass/Treble,...) through some API, also via USB
????

This would allow more automated tests.
And could also help integrating the ADI-2 Pro into a studio automation.

I would love to have this functionality too, particularly item 2.

I would love to be able to lock the sampling rate.

I'm not sure if this has come up before, but I'd love a Remap Key option to toggle SPDIF in Coax / SPDIF in Optical smile

dustin wrote:

I'm not sure if this has come up before, but I'd love a Remap Key option to toggle SPDIF in Coax / SPDIF in Optical smile

On the remote, you have COAX and OPT buttons, I confess I don't see the point of this request...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:
dustin wrote:

On the remote, you have COAX and OPT buttons, I confess I don't see the point of this request...

Not all versions of the hardware have a remote smile

dustin wrote:
N00b wrote:
dustin wrote:

Sorry, I forgot about the first Pro version indeed... smile

271 (edited by bejoro 2021-07-09 16:52:12)

Dark Volume Screen, indicator if PEQ is enabled:

An indicator if an PEQ set is active would be nice, maybe an "EQ" behind "Main Out 1/2" and "Phones 3/4".

I understand that request, but EQ is not different than any other processing option that needs to be shown then, which obviously is not possible. So it has to stay as it is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

dustin wrote:
N00b wrote:
dustin wrote:

Are you aware that changing the input via remote requires the unit to be in DAC mode? This is intentionally as clock settings usually have to be adjusted as well when changing input sources.

Not every action that can be performed within the menu can (or should) be available as shortcut. If that one doesn't work then users will be confused and frustrated...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

274 (edited by bejoro 2021-07-10 09:38:55)

MC wrote:

I understand that request, but EQ is not different than any other processing option that needs to be shown then, which obviously is not possible. So it has to stay as it is.

Thanks, I understand, for consistency and there is not enough space.

I suppose an additional screen with an overview of all processing options would be too much?

It would be very useful to have a quick overview which processing is active without having to dig into the different menus.

We have that screen in the DAC. But the Pro already has many screens on that layer to toggle through, so we don't want to put in more.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi! My first post at the forums. Thanks for a great product. Being young in the nineties with Sony digital ES setups(which I couldnt afford) the ADI2 fs dac is a true "Back to the future" event for me. Great techie stuff, stellar sound! The only regret I ever had with this product is that I didnt buy the PRO version. big_smile

About the topic. I wish I could get menu access through the remote. Which could be done using bass/volume/treble Up/down buttons. With L/VOL/R buttons for enter function.

Play/pause/skip buttons to be programmed to 1 - 4 buttons. Is this possible with ASIO driver? I think WDM supports it..

Some more choises for spectrum analyzer. I mean the look of it, like waves and other psychedelic stuff. + more colour options. 256 RGB sliders for that.

Totalmix support for PRO and DAC versions.

For future hardware revisions I'd wish the DAC version had a programmable pre/post FX digital out like the PRO version. + Bring back a choice of black or silver/blue versions of DAC and PRO. Please extend audio lineup to amps and other cool gear

Anyway Thanks again for a great product! Hope to do business again soon!

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

MC wrote:

We have that screen in the DAC. But the Pro already has many screens on that layer to toggle through, so we don't want to put in more.

Thanks again Matthias, understandable.

There would be another way to change the screens more easily, maybe worth considering. It would be a little bit of a radical change but even more consistent with the usage of the other menu options and a lot easier to use.

User presses Encoder 1, a message line at the bottom of the screen appears that Encoder 2 has to be used to change screens.

The user twists Encoder 2 back or forth to select the desired screen. The message line stays for 3 seconds after the selection and disapears, after this 3 s timeout the selected screen is fully functional incl. Encoder functions, for example B/T.

Additonal Encoder-2-Press in each screen would be free for a new function or even for a user selectable function.

Addendum:
With this procedure expanded you could even use for example Encoder 1, press and twist for measurement screens and Encoder 2, press and twist for status screens. That would mean faster and easier access and more screens possible without higher complexity.
Just an idea.

Hello,
ADI has a good mono and mute status info but could you please add some EQ status on the screen?
https://imgur.com/a/QaMPOLG

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

vlad.e wrote:

Hello,
ADI has a good mono and mute status info but could you please add some EQ status on the screen?
https://imgur.com/a/QaMPOLG

there're too many dsp functions in the product, so it is hard to list them all in such a tiny screen.

I dont ask for all) What function notification do you think is more important than EQ with such amount of physical outputs sharing the same eq?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

for me B/T is as important as EQ, because I use B/T together with 5-band-EQ to make the EQ 7 bands, and crossfeed/loudness is more important than the two as they are usually much more dramatic than the eq...

ning wrote:

for me B/T is as important as EQ, because I use B/T together with 5-band-EQ to make the EQ 7 bands, and crossfeed/loudness is more important than the two as they are usually much more dramatic than the eq...

There is such info on double volume screen already.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

crossfeed and loudness are not available.

Anyway. I don’t think it will go to the spectrum screen. Too crowded.

Hi, I just registered to post in this thread. I know expanded EQ and crossover functions have already been discussed, I'd like to add my support as the ADI-2 Pro could then form the basis for a flexible digital crossover management as well as a reference quality DAC.

I see attenuation can be adjusted globally on the Dual Volume page, as it allows four channel D/A it can be very useful for integrating subwoofers or managing two-way active speakers. To achieve full capability of two-way stereo active crossover management should not be beyond possibility.

• EQ function High Cut / High Pass allowing a wider range of slopes than fixed 12dB per octave, from 6dB to 48dB ideally, with wider range of attenuation

• Assignable delay on individual outputs

If DSP headroom is the issue, this feature set might only be available at reduced sampling rates. Up to 96khz would still be very useful.

rbphoto wrote:

Hi, I just registered to post in this thread. I know expanded EQ and crossover functions have already been discussed, I'd like to add my support as the ADI-2 Pro could then form the basis for a flexible digital crossover management as well as a reference quality DAC.

I see attenuation can be adjusted globally on the Dual Volume page, as it allows four channel D/A it can be very useful for integrating subwoofers or managing two-way active speakers. To achieve full capability of two-way stereo active crossover management should not be beyond possibility.

• EQ function High Cut / High Pass allowing a wider range of slopes than fixed 12dB per octave, from 6dB to 48dB ideally, with wider range of attenuation

• Assignable delay on individual outputs

If DSP headroom is the issue, this feature set might only be available at reduced sampling rates. Up to 96khz would still be very useful.

Usually I don‘t like to negate such postings, but like you to take into consideration:

Dedicated digital x-overs are available and have much more advanced feature sets than ADI-2 Pro could ever offer.

• Linkwitz-Riley, Butterworth, Bessel and other filter slopes.
• Continues phase control.
• Delay control for each output.
• Linked x-over frequencies with adjustable overlap.
• Multiple output ways.
• Horn- and other corrections.
• Presets for certain drivers.
• Measurement features for frequency response and delay.
• ... much more that I not yet can remember.

Some may be emulated with ADI-2 Pro, but the hardware is not built for this, there are not even dual line outs.
Delay, e.g. needs additional RAM capacity, etc.
Not to forget: x-over is a very specialized function that few used need.

The last replies I got from Matthias on small and simple requests is:
the existing software maxes out the available programming capacity, and ADI-2 Pro’s current complexity is already overwhelming lot of users.

Meanwhile, if you want to change ADI-2 Pro into a digital x-over, I suggest to use a host software as x-over and limit ADI-2 Pro’s functionality to it’s purpose as very advanced dual channel audio interface.

If it’s just about integrating a sub into your setup I have posted elegant and good-sounding solutions with ADI-2 in this forum.

I understand there are other solutions for crossover and loudspeaker management, I own several. What interests me is coupling these functions with RME's top quality engineering in DAC implementation and gain structure.

If it's beyond the scope of the ADI-2 product, fair enough, all I can do is ask - but with four channels of D/A and extensive DSP and FPGA capability, it seems like a good fit.

Proper integration of one or two subwoofers is a fairly common task for domestic hi-fi and pro audio, and some fine grained controls over phase, delay and crossover combined with RME's DAC pedigree and global volume control would be a wonderful tool.

What KaiS said - no way, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

289 (edited by KaiS 2021-07-27 05:34:16)

rbphoto wrote:

Proper integration of one or two subwoofers is a fairly common task for domestic hi-fi and pro audio, and some fine grained controls over phase, delay and crossover combined with RME's DAC pedigree and global volume control would be a wonderful tool.

I‘ve just done a job in integrating 2 subwoofers into a studio environment for a well-known producer, much more demanding than what domestic would ask for.
Nothing was used except what the subwoofer and the satellites themselves did offer, with good results.
No phase correction, although available, was used.

Please read my postings about ADI-2 and subwoofer integration, in case you have demand for.
This is well thought out and practically proved.

KaiS wrote:
rbphoto wrote:

I‘ve just done job in integrating 2 subwoofers into a studio environment for a well-known producer, much more demanding than what domestic would ask for.
Nothing was used except what the subwoofer and the satellites themselves did offer, with good results.
No phase correction, although available, was used.

Please read my postings about ADI-2 and subwoofer integration, in case you have demand for.
This is well thought out and practically proved.

That's true, although miniDSP does work wonders if you're willing to go that route, you can get one of their all digital units, passthru one out to main dac, and process the other outputs for subs and pipe them to dedicated dacs, In my experience 200$ dacs are more than good enough to drive subs and each dac can drive 2 of them.

Would it be possible to add RGB selection on the metering color option so we can come up our own colors that we want to use and display?

Thanks in advance.

292 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-07-30 12:32:07)

I want the message box stay a little bit longer at the display, because it is so small, need time to fcous with my aged eyes .... please kindly consider, if possible, to include it at the next firmware update :-)

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Hey, not sure if this has been requested already, but is it possible to get M/S-proc to be toggleable on the remote?

Already on our list.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Already on our list.

Which is already on your list?

post #293 -> remote toggleable M/S Processing

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MC wrote:

Already on our list.

Got it, thank you!

Could it be possible that, apart from Volume Lock function add a Limit option, (OFF, LOCK, LIMIT) so that we still can change the volume within the limit value and then stop? It will be good for HiFi users power Amp application.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Johannes AU wrote:

Could it be possible that, apart from Volume Lock function add a Limit option, (OFF, LOCK, LIMIT) so that we still can change the volume within the limit value and then stop? It will be good for HiFi users power Amp application.

+1

sounds good

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13