Re: RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS: Feature Requests

ramses wrote:

sounds good

Actually this idea was inspired by KaiS's post https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

And i think it would be nice if we can set a ceiling output level.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Disable AutoRef and set a lower Ref Level. Fully succificent if such a 'safety feature' is required.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

303 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-09 06:33:13)

MC wrote:

Disable AutoRef and set a lower Ref Level. Fully succificent if such a 'safety feature' is required.

Or even better:

Use passive attenuators after ADI-2 to fit and limit the output level:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 42#p120442

These do not cost much and this solution is superior to an internal limit, in every regard.

304 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-09 08:33:24)

MC wrote:

Agree and understood, this requested feature is not a must :-)

User should observe the output level safe to downstream equipment.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

A couple of points for me.

1) Show USB levels on Global Level Meter top screen.

2) Allow SRC to be enabled in DAC mode to fix digital output sample rate.

10 band parametric EQ (not included bass/treble)

sberry2018 wrote:

It's been confirmed many times in this thread that will never happen.

badboygolf16v wrote:
sberry2018 wrote:

It's been confirmed many times in this thread that will never happen.

I just searched and saw nothing by MC in this thread.

Confirmed by who?

I was sure I read that there are not enough DSP resources, maybe I'm wrong.

badboygolf16v wrote:

I was sure I read that there are not enough DSP resources, maybe I'm wrong.

No problem. This is why we need to check.

If it is a general user commenting or official word by MC from RME.

311 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-28 23:40:48)

The 10 band of PEQ request comes into fashion because of the AutoEQ project I think.
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq … er/results

But - if you have a closer look you see, the primary 5 bands now can be used independently.
The secondary 5 bands do just minor tweaks that are specific to the single specimen measured and don’t make sense to be transferred to a different  sample.

If 5 bands of fully parametric EQ can’t fix it, 10 likely don’t help either.

Anyway the discussion likely is fruitless - “not enough resources left for more bands” is the estimated answer.

Could really low Q, as low as 0.1, be enabled at least for shelf filters in the EQ and bass/treble?

The use case for this would be to set a constant, slow roll-off that does not actually flatten out in the audible range. Q 0.5 is still too steep for that.

Love my RME ADI-2 fs

Would love it even more if it could communicate with my PC and send a text file with all my input settings.

Then I could see where I've gone wrong to correct them. It's harder when you're older, to look for mistakes on the screen.

I think, therefore I am!

johnhallkenney wrote:

Love my RME ADI-2 fs

Would love it even more if it could communicate with my PC and send a text file with all my input settings.

Then I could see where I've gone wrong to correct them. It's harder when you're older, to look for mistakes on the screen.

This has been discussed before, more than once actually. It's impossible to do with current hardware.

Not sure if this has been suggested before but an optional peak hold for the spectral analyzer like in DigiCheck would be great.

I'd have to suggestions to contribute:

1. Either support for de-emphasis at higher sample rates as well or consequently disabling that function as currently, it doesn't seem to have any effect at higher ones despite the changable setting as elaborately described here, which is somewhat misleading.

2. As we have two meters per channel for the level, it would also only be consequent to have the same for the spectrum analysis. One could have optionally separate screens for each channel OR (non-exclusive) use different colors for the left and right channel with a mixed color where the sum level overlaps to effectively represent both on the main one.

317 (edited by Sebastian.Athea 2023-05-29 22:51:56)

little-endian wrote:

I'd have to suggestions to contribute:

1. Either support for de-emphasis at higher sample rates as well or consequently disabling that function as currently, it doesn't seem to have any effect at higher ones despite the changable setting as elaborately described here, which is somewhat misleading.

2. As we have two meters per channel for the level, it would also only be consequent to have the same for the spectrum analysis. One could have optionally separate screens for each channel OR (non-exclusive) use different colors for the left and right channel with a mixed color where the sum level overlaps to effectively represent both on the main one.

You obviously have no idea what de-emphasis is, it can only work at 44.1k.
Emphasis was treble boost with which first gen CDs where encoded to make them compatible with early r2r dacs and players which cliffed of on higher frequencies, as that problem was resolved the flag was introduced in spdif signal that indicated if disc needed to be de-emphasised aka have eq applied to the signal to normalize it and make it comparable with newer dacs

318 (edited by little-endian 2023-05-29 23:52:27)

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but a pretty pithy plea, considering that quite the opposite is true.

While I also only know 44.1 kHz as a sample rate of commercial pre-emphasis use (mostly on CDs, but also some LaserDiscs and DAT from what I've read), Benchmark Media contradicts your general statement as they list not only 44.1 kHz but also 32, 48 kHz as well as 96 kHz as supported sample rates for automatic de-emphasis in their manual of the famous DAC1:

https://i.ibb.co/fX1CXSV/Dh-NC8-HYM0-JU2-V5-CQhah61gr0.jpg

Besides that, you're missing my point, being that the setting on the ADI-2 devices doesn't show any effect on higher sample rates. Either that should be fixed for the sake of (theoretical) compatibility at least just in case there is any higher one ever to be encountered with pre-emphasis or consequently simply grayed out if there should be no (hardware) support for whatever reason, rendering this option inapplicable anyway.

"Herr Athea, setzen, sechs!" wink

little-endian wrote:
Sebastian.Athea wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but a pretty pithy plea, considering that quite the opposite is true.

While I also only know 44.1 kHz as a sample rate of commercial pre-emphasis use (mostly on CDs, but also some LaserDiscs and DAT from what I've read), Benchmark Media contradicts your general statement as they list not only 44.1 kHz but also 48 kHz as well as 96 kHz as supported sample rates for automatic de-emphasis in their manual of the famous DAC1:

https://i.ibb.co/fX1CXSV/Dh-NC8-HYM0-JU2-V5-CQhah61gr0.jpg

Besides that, you're missing my point, being that the setting on the ADI-2 devices doesn't show any effect on higher sample rates. Either that should be fixed for the sake of (theoretical) compatibility at least just in case there is any higher one ever to be encountered with pre-emphasis or consequently simply grayed out if there should be no (hardware) support for whatever reason, rendering this option inapplicable anyway.

"Herr Athea, setzen, sechs!" wink

I don't care about the crap hi-fi manufacturers say, read the red book (bible for mastering, encoding and decoding of audio CDs) as well as dxd and dsd specification manual. Graying out the option on higher sampling rates doesn't make any sense, what if I'm currently imputing high sampling rate or dsd and I wanna play cd later how am I supposed to change the settings? Besides I don't see how is it confusing, it's clearly explained in the rme user manual, if you're manipulating the settings without understanding what they do the consequences are on you.

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

I don't care about the crap hi-fi manufacturers say ...

At first: neither do I understand your harsh tone (which could also need some de-emphasis by the way) nor your continuous misinterpretation of this issue.

Risking to feed the troll - so is Benchmark a "crap hi-fi manufacturer" now? Together with RME, I'd rather say that they are one of the most professionals around and deserve a little bit more respect. Also, you don't seem to he too familiar with the métier as then you can count in ESS - the chipset manufacturer himself - as laymen as well, since they state de-emphasis support at multiple sample rates also.

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

... read the red book (bible for mastering, encoding and decoding of audio CDs) as well as dxd and dsd specification manual.

From any specification, even when only stating 44.1 kHz, one can hardly extrapolate that no source could ever come along with pre-emphasis at a different sample rates.

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

Graying out the option on higher sampling rates doesn't make any sense ...

In fact it does, should the de-emphasis not be supported on a given input sample rate.

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

... what if I'm currently imputing high sampling rate or dsd and I wanna play cd later how am I supposed to change the settings?

That is what one has the "auto" mode for. However, the "on" setting is supposedly an override function, hence it makes no sense for it to act differently depending on the input sample rate. In case of missing flags one of course has to fiddle around manually which is the whole point of having this (great) option (not that this general issue would have anything to do with a specific sample rate). If not supported anyway, "on" shouldn't be an option in that moment (seems logical to me at least).

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

Besides I don't see how is it confusing, it's clearly explained in the rme user manual, if you're manipulating the settings without understanding what they do the consequences are on you.

No, despite its general verbosity, that specific part is not covered by the manual which I consulted first, no worries.

Let's wait for MC's reply who will hopefully follow up with his usual technical, highly respected expertise. After all, this thread is for suggestions and not about arguing about the proposition to begin with.

In Double and Quad Speed the Deemphasis setting needs to be greyed out. But I am not sure this can be done easily, we'll check that.

De-Emphasis also exists at 32 kHz and 48 kHz with digital recorders like DAT and others. The DAC chips do not support de-emphasis for higher sample rates, and there seems to be no reason why they should.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

322 (edited by little-endian 2023-05-30 09:25:21)

Thanks a lot, MC. Just as I thought, then.

On a side note, I saw that Benchmark only states 96 kHz support in conjunction with pre-emphasis for the DAC1 but not for their newer models either. Given that the DAC chip in the DAC1, an AD1853 doesn't list 96 kHz, it's either an "enthusiastic typo" in their manual or they used a different chip for that.