Topic: UFX+ dropouts with usb, why latency mon software removes the dropouts?
I just got a brand new UFX+
It works fine but i would really like to understand and fix one issue i have with it.
I can not use 32 and 64 sample buffer size because there is 1 audio dropout each second.
So i use 128 samples and up but still there is audio dropouts sometimes, like 1 per hour or so, it's annoying because this issue i have probably affect how much vst plugins i can use before having audio dropouts in a DAW while i mix... Or even if it doesnt matter, i'd like to make it work like it's expected.
My main question is why all dropouts goes away when i start latency mon software?...
For example i set 32 samples size in the UFX+ and then i start latency mon, i press the green play button in latency mon and all dropouts goes away, then they come back when i stop latency mon.
That means my computer specs and setup is able to playback a simple wav file at 32 samples but only when latency mon is running, so i concluded the USB cable is good and i have a good usb chipset type and connexion right?
I attached a few printscreens of tests i did, maybe it can give a clue to find the issue, because now the only option i see is getting a new motherboard and cpu. By the way if you have some recommendations don't hesitate.
- Win 10
- I7 7700k with 32gb memory and EVGA 1070 GPU
- Asus motherboard with intel usb chipset
Usualy i don't have problems with this computer.
I tried on another computer with an asus prime motherboard and a less performant cpu I5, it behaves the same but when i tried on a laptop that's about 1 year old, also made from asus and not optimized at all for audio recording, it was perfect, no audio dropouts at all even at 32 samples and even while opening a ton of youtube videos and apps in the background, i was not able to make it dropout.
Here's other stuff i tried to resolve it:
- updated my motherboard bios
There is no overclocking settings done on this computer
- updated the chipset drivers
- deactivated everything i could in the device manager except the ufx+
- removed completely the GPU 1070 from the computer
- removed all usb cables from the computer except the UFX+ and one mouse.
- 3 different usb3 cables
- switched to manual usb3 mode in the ufx+ hardware options itself instead of auto mode
- I tried the UFX+ in all the different ports that are managed by the intel usb chipset
- I tried two USB2 port
- I disabled C States in the Bios then enabled it because it doesnt help
- Disabled lan and bluetooth in the bios.
- tried the sonnet allegro usb 4 ports pcie usb3 card, same issue
- When i removed my pci-e card that gives me 4 additional sata ports for hard drives, i saw the latency drop a lot in DPC latency checker v.1.4.0. It went from red 2000us to 500-1000us but the dropouts were still there, maybe just a little less, about 20% less but still a lot of dropouts.
All of this is with nothing else connected on the UFX+ except the usb cable and a pair of speakers.
CPU and GPU are not overheating, it's 16 celcius in the room right now.
I was using a focusrite saffire liquid 56 before getting this UFX+. I was using 64 samples or 128 samples with the focusrite with firewire and i never had audio dropouts while listening to a simple wav file in windows. I had to use the "long" setting under the firewire driver latency in the saffire mix control for that though. When i got my logitech keyboard i installed logitech ghub for it and i had a few BSOD, then it was fine but i had to use "long" setting since then. So i bought a UFX+ and now this.