Hi RME Forum,
I'm looking for some guidance and help with a particularly strange problem I'm having with my Babyface.
Hopefully some experts can chime in.
Mid-2014 Macbook Pro (Nvidia Geforce graphics card), 2.8 Ghz, 16 Gb, running Mojave.
I use the Babyface for Production, Recording voice for content creation (tutorials), and Zoom lives.
As I was having some issues with Screenflow crashing my system (resolved by resetting PRAM and SMC somehow), I created a new admin account to test out stuff.
While testing my apps I realized that the 'Loopback' button was not present on the Totalmix GUI on the new account. I need that functionality for broadcasting to Mixlr, etc. So I tried updating. I did not restart after but instead updated the firmware (but it was already up-to-date, so I don't think anything changed there). All this with the Babyface connected.
I then rebooted.
After that, on BOTH admin accounts, the Totalmix window is no longer viewable or present.
1. Normally it pops open when connecting the Babyface by USB; it no longer does that. It can't be opened at all.
2. The menu bar on top is available, however.
3. Fireface USB Settings app defaulted to 32000 Hz sample rate for some reason, and stays on that every time I connect the device, even if I change it to 48000.
4. When attempting to open a past Workspace, I get this message: "Mismatch detected -Workspace File contains no data for connected Device." ?
5. Babyface is not detected by the OS nor any app that can normally access it.
6. I tried a complete delete, removing all recommended files and re-install; nothing changed (unless I missed some vital files, but I followed the procedure outlined by someone on here).
7. I've tried booting to Safemode; nothing changed.
8. I followed this article for "Definitive solution for macOS "driver not loaded" Security problem" but nothing changed.
9. The Babyface does work on my older Macbook Pro 2011, so this is something in my newer laptop's settings or state that either got corrupted or changed during the update I attempted to fix the missing Loopback button issue.
My Babyface has never failed me; so I'm really shocked that it someone managed to break on the driver/software side of things; even if it is specific to my laptop? It's my main work tool and I have deadlines to meet, so it is quite worrying.
a) Does any have a clue as to what might be going on here, and how to fix it?
b) Why would the Loopback button be present on one account but not the other on the same computer?
c) Clearly the Totalmix and RME Fireface software are no longer speaking with the Babyface. What possible methods could be used to address this?
d) How could an update break this, again, on both accounts?
e) If it's firmware related, why does the Babyface work on another laptop?
f) Would restoring my computer to an earlier state via Time Machine or a HD clone fix this?
Thanks for taking the time to read and any suggestions you may have!