Re: macOS Sierra and higher RME USB driver

Hey folks, not sure if this is the correct thread to share this in, but a few days ago (seems to coincide with an upgrade to macOS 10.15.6) my Fireface 400 stopped being recognized by my MacBook Pro 2019 (shows red host light, Fireface Settings will not load).

I've tried quite a few of the troubleshooting steps on the forum, no luck. However, I wanted to share that when I try to load manually from the command line like so:

cd /Library/Extensions/
sudo kextutil -v 2 FirefaceAudioDriver.kext

I get the following error:

Defaulting to kernel file '/System/Library/Kernels/kernel'
Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7fbe00808b20 [0x7fff84b92cc0]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/FirefaceAudioDriver.kext/", ID = "com.RME.driver.FirefaceAudioDriver" }

Doing a little reading, this seems to be related to a newish "notarization" step required with Apple dev tools? Hope this is helpful.

OS Mojave 10.14.6
Babyface Pro firmware v127
Driver 3.19

How can I change the bit depth in the audio midi settings?
Changing the sampling rate always sets to 32 bits. Is it possible to set 24 bits on the default system?

No, and there is no reason why you should do so. This is the interface communication bit depth. The one used in your app depends on your app and the settings that it provides.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi - I have an issue and I'm not sure whether it's related to the things described in this thread or not.

I'm trying to use an RME UCX with a USB connection, using the latest drivers, on a MacBook Pro using OS10.15.3. I had no problem with the security stage on installation - it came up and I "allowed" the software. The audio device is recognised by the OS and shows up in Sound Preferences. Totalmix runs, but the mixer doesn't open and in the Options menu both Mixer and Matrix are greyed out. If I choose File==> New Totalmix Window, the Device Selection window is blank. The UCX is not in CC mode.

Any suggestions?

John

Did you try to wait a few minutes? Sometimes a MIDI host blocks TM FX.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30469

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

UFX update from 3.3 to 3.9...  same issues like mentioned before here. Totalmix and Fireface settings unresponsive. I've tried going back to earlier driver versions without solving the problem. I fixed it after reading about the Class Compliant Mode option and how to activate it and DEACTIVATE IT. Hope this helps anyone.

P.S. I'm attaching a picture of a portion of the RME manual explaining the process described before.
[img]/Users/Mac_B/Desktop/Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 4.16.05 PM.png[/img]

P.S.2 I don't know if the picture will show here...  this is the link to the manual... 

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/cc_mode_ufx_e.pdf

MC wrote:

Did you try to wait a few minutes? Sometimes a MIDI host blocks TM FX.
I did: no changes.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30469

Did you direct me to the right forum? This doesn't appear to be a similar issue, but I checked what it said anyway: none of the listed plugins are present.

What conditions do there have to be for the Mixer and Matrix options to be greyed out? Does it mean that Totalmix doesn't recognise that the UCX is connected?

John

Yes. You can open the Settings dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

If you mean Fireface Settings.app, no - it won't start.

All best,

John

That sounds more like the unit is still in CC mode....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That sounds more like the unit is still in CC mode....

It does sound like that...  but it isn't the problem. I've checked this twice and even attempted to connect with CC reading "on" and CC reading "off" just in case - no difference in either state.

Anything else I can try?

Did you install the driver while having a valid internet connection? Apple verifies the driver's notarization that way. I just had that yesterday - zero error messages, the driver simply wasn't loaded. I had to get the computer online and install the driver again - the interface came back immediately already during the driver installation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Did you install the driver while having a valid internet connection? Apple verifies the driver's notarization that way. I just had that yesterday - zero error messages, the driver simply wasn't loaded. I had to get the computer online and install the driver again - the interface came back immediately already during the driver installation.

Yup, the computer was online and there didn't appear to be any problems getting Totalmix and the driver installed. The issue appears to be that the computers I've tried don't see the UCX as attached when using USB - when using Firewire, there's no problem at all.

Did you install the USB drivers or the FireWire drivers?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jgordering wrote:
MC wrote:

All best,

John

The correct app is called Fireface USB settings.app. You have probably not installed the USB drivers yet.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Audio AG Support wrote:
jgordering wrote:
MC wrote:

All best,

John

The correct app is called Fireface USB settings.app. You have probably not installed the USB drivers yet.

Of course I've installed the right drivers! It was the first thing I did.

I never got this to work, but in the end I bought more than €100 worth of adapters/cables so that I can convert the Firewire output of the UCX to USB-C:that works fine. Can I suggest that RME manufactures a suitable adapter? It's obviously needed, as there are a lot of RME devices out there that use Firewire, but very few newer computers still have it (and Apple has gone down this ridiculous line of all USB-C). In order to use a UCX on a modern Mac, you need Firewire 400 to 800, Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt to USB-C adapters, a truly ridiculous situation, and one that I'd be very very reluctant to use in a critical situation like a stage performance.

The UCX also supports USB, right? Wouldn't that be an easier and cheaper route to your Mac? I use the supplied USB-B to USB-A cable and a $1 USB-A to USB-C adapter with my Babyface Pro on my MacBook Pro myself.

For extra clarity: there is actually no Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter, but only Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3. Thunderbolt 3 happens to also use the USB-C connector, but it actually won't work on a plain USB-C port.

breun wrote:

The UCX also supports USB, right? Wouldn't that be an easier and cheaper route to your Mac? I use the supplied USB-B to USB-A cable and a $1 USB-A to USB-C adapter with my Babyface Pro on my MacBook Pro myself.

For extra clarity: there is actually no Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter, but only Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3. Thunderbolt 3 happens to also use the USB-C connector, but it actually won't work on a plain USB-C port.

Thanks for the comments! But if you look further up this thread, you'll see that the problem is that the USB connection doesn't work for some people (including myself), and that this is a common problem with no apparent fix. I've resorted to using firewire with lots of adapters as the only way to get my UCX to connect to a MacBook Pro that only has USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports.

I have a Fireface UC and just updated to MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 and installed Fireface Driver 3.19.  I was able to install the Driver but it is not opening the RME program or recognizing the Fireface UC.  I followed the steps about system Preferences / Security / Open Anyway button... When I try to do that with the RME Flash Update I hit Open Anyways and another pop up window comes up to say it is outdated.

1. Your Fireface UC is set to PC = Windows. Change it to AP = Apple.

2. You used the latest update (_4) from the web or downloaded 3.19 earlier? If earlier then install it again with the latest update or make sure to have a working internet connection during driver installation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1. Your Fireface UC is set to PC = Windows. Change it to AP = Apple.

2. You used the latest update (_4) from the web or downloaded 3.19 earlier? If earlier then install it again with the latest update or make sure to have a working internet connection during driver installation.

I got the same issue as olivercaminos (also Mac, also Fireface UC, also Catalina 10.15.7). After installing everything following both of the steps mentioned above my iMac still does not recognize the Fireface UC.

My question is: what do you mean by "latest update (_4)"? I downloaded and installed the driver 3.19 ...

Probably I am one of the unlucky "USB connection doesn't work" people, right?

Thanks in advance!

3.19_4 is the description when downloading.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jgordering wrote:

Of course I've installed the right drivers! It was the first thing I did.

Which driver is that exactly?

There is no "common issue" where USB will generally not work - not sure what you are referring to.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello. Here a long time and happy user of a Babyface. USB Driver 3.2.4 says that it is for 10.12 and up. I'm on 10.13 and the installer refuses to install.
Also, upon further examination, after retrieving and decompressing "rme_usb_install.tar" from the installer, "Fireface USB Settings.app" it is seen as not compatible by the OS. The "info.plist" file inside "Fireface USB Setings.app", "MADIfaceUSB3MIDIDriver.plugin" and "RMEFirefaceUSB.kext" also say (and I quote): <key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key>
    <string>11.0</string>
I don't know if this has something to do with the fact that the installer refuses to install, but at least in my case driver 3.2.4 is not compatible with OSX 10.13. It would be great if you can take a look into it. I would love to enjoy TotalMix 1.70!!
Hope it helps ;·)

175 (edited by breun 2020-11-29 22:10:26)

The installer for driver 3.24 in driver_usb_mac_324.zip (2020-11-27) also fails for me on macOS Catalina 10.15.7, but slightly differently than for babyfacemmm. On Catalina I get an error message saying "This Driver Package requires Mac OS Big Sur or higher".

The info on https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads.html says "Compatible to 10.12 and up. Supports macOS 11 Intel and M1." The included Readme Fireface USB.rtf file says "Driver for Mac OS 10.11 and up. Supports macOS 11 and up, Intel / M1 (Apple Silicon)", so the description of the download and the included readme also don't completely agree.

I guess I need to stay on driver 3.19 for now. I did successfully flash the firmware of my Babyface Pro from 126 to 127 using the 2020-09-17 flash updater.

Fixed, 3.19_4 is back for download.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi. Please point me to the appropriate thread in this forum if this one is not correct.  Thank you.

I am using macOS Catalina at the moment, on a Macbook Pro purchased in ~Sept/Oct this year.  The RME product I am using is a second-hand Fireface UFX through the USB driver downloaded from your website a ~month ago.  Though as a newbie I'm not totally utilizing all the power/capabilities of your tool (nor those of Pro Logic), everything has been working together so far as I make basic recordings.  However...

Now I'm being prompted by Apple to upgrade the macOS to Big Sur.  Technically, it is "macOS Sierra and higher".  :-)   Any advice or concerns I should be aware of before making the step?

Thanks,
Jon
San Jose, CA

178 (edited by breun 2020-11-30 22:38:48)

majwilsonlion wrote:

Now I'm being prompted by Apple to upgrade the macOS to Big Sur.  Technically, it is "macOS Sierra and higher".  :-)   Any advice or concerns I should be aware of before making the step?

Catalina to Big Sur is quite a big change, because you’re going from macOS 10.15 to 11.0. It’s fine to stay with Catalina for a while (it will receive updates from Apple for another while) and upgrade once it is more stable. If you do want to upgrade now, make sure you install the new RME USB driver 3.24 for macOS 11 after the upgrade, and it should work. It's also a good idea to check the state of Big Sur support for any other hardware and software you rely on. Big Sur is still rather new, so not really battle-tested yet.

As with any big change it’s smart to back up your machine before making the jump (Time Machine is great). Apple also offers an easy way to install a separate instance of macOS on your machine, so you could do a fresh Big Sur install separate from your existing Catalina installation and use it to test everything before you upgrade your existing Catalina install to Big Sur.

Another idea is to not just update the current system, but to install the new system on a new separate partition or disk, at least initially to try it out, and leave the old system untouched.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

180 (edited by breun 2020-12-01 18:13:39)

It is no longer necessary to deal with partitions or separate disks (although you can still use a separate disk if you want). If you follow the link in my previous post, you'll find a way to install Big Sur next to your current macOS installation on a separate APFS volume. The cool thing is that storage space is shared across APFS volumes, so there is no need to dedicate a fixed amount of disk space to a macOS installation like you needed to do in the past.

Breun, there are issues when installing Big Sur in the same container as another APFS-based OS i.e. Catalina and Mojave. Whilst these versions of macOS use APFS, there are still some fundamental differences with Big Sur. Yes, you can use your method to test Big Sur but most pundits are recommending that this is installed in its own partition....which defeats the purpose of multiple containers and is a real pain in the ass.

Maddcow wrote:

Breun, there are issues when installing Big Sur in the same container as another APFS-based OS i.e. Catalina and Mojave.

What are these issues?

breun wrote:

What are these issues?

Just a few things that appear when doing a Google search.  I've personally experienced these issues, too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comm … same_apfs/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bi … a.2256499/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comm … _i_tested/

Of course it's good to be careful, but those threads are all from before the public release of Big Sur, so I guess these people were running beta versions. Did you also experience these issues with the final release?

Yep, all of those issues are still present with 11.0.1

Thx, Everyone.  I will stick with Catalina for now.  ;-)

Hi RME Forum,
I'm looking for some guidance and help with a particularly strange problem I'm having with my Babyface.
Hopefully some experts can chime in.
Mid-2014 Macbook Pro (Nvidia Geforce graphics card), 2.8 Ghz, 16 Gb, running Mojave.
I use the Babyface for Production, Recording voice for content creation (tutorials), and Zoom lives.

As I was having some issues with Screenflow crashing my system (resolved by resetting PRAM and SMC somehow), I created a new admin account to test out stuff.

While testing my apps I realized that the 'Loopback' button was not present on the Totalmix GUI on the new account. I need that functionality for broadcasting to Mixlr, etc. So I tried updating. I did not restart after but instead updated the firmware (but it was already up-to-date, so I don't think anything changed there). All this with the Babyface connected.

I then rebooted.
After that, on BOTH admin accounts, the Totalmix window is no longer viewable or present.
1. Normally it pops open when connecting the Babyface by USB; it no longer does that. It can't be opened at all.
2. The menu bar on top is available, however.
3. Fireface USB Settings app defaulted to 32000 Hz sample rate for some reason, and stays on that every time I connect the device, even if I change it to 48000.
4. When attempting to open a past Workspace, I get this message: "Mismatch detected -Workspace File contains no data for connected Device." ?
5. Babyface is not detected by the OS nor any app that can normally access it.
6. I tried a complete delete, removing all recommended files and re-install; nothing changed (unless I missed some vital files, but I followed the procedure outlined by someone on here).
7. I've tried booting to Safemode; nothing changed.
8. I followed this article for "Definitive solution for macOS "driver not loaded" Security problem" but nothing changed.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30462

9. The Babyface does work on my older Macbook Pro 2011, so this is something in my newer laptop's settings or state that either got corrupted or changed during the update I attempted to fix the missing Loopback button issue.

My Babyface has never failed me; so I'm really shocked that it someone managed to break on the driver/software side of things; even if it is specific to my laptop? It's my main work tool and I have deadlines to meet, so it is quite worrying.

My question(s):
a) Does any have a clue as to what might be going on here, and how to fix it?

Sub-questions:
b) Why would the Loopback button be present on one account but not the other on the same computer?
c) Clearly the Totalmix and RME Fireface software are no longer speaking with the Babyface. What possible methods could be used to address this?
d) How could an update break this, again, on both accounts?
e) If it's firmware related, why does the Babyface work on another laptop?
f) Would restoring my computer to an earlier state via Time Machine or a HD clone fix this?

Thanks for taking the time to read and any suggestions you may have!
Antonio

Anton are you aware of the wrench tool button on the hardware output channels in Totalmix ?
When the Loopback button is not visible it is probably because the channel needs to get opened with the wrench tool...?
Also try to run the flash update tool fut on that computer where the Babyface seems to work.
Be sure to have the unit on latest firmware and also use the correct driver for the OS, the Babyface will work.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hey Waedi,
Thanks for getting back to here.
Yes, I'm aware of the gear icon.

The firmware is at the latest version. I did run it anyways, it went through, and remained at the latest version:

Current Mac: (mid 2014 Macbook Pro, Mojave): Firmware v225   Driver: v3.221

Older Mac:     (2011 Macbook Pro, High Sierra): 
Firmware v225   Driver: v3.01

Some points:
-In the Totalmix Function Menu: "Mixer View" is greyed out

-Opening older Workspace:
"Mismatch detected - Workspace File contains no data for connected Device"

This leads me to believe that something is stopping Totalmix from seeing the Babyface?

Another question I have: is this the best place to post my request for help, or is their a dedicated sub for the original Babyface?

Much Appreciated,
Antonio

May you try this driver in the newer mac ?
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_mac_327.zip

Hey Waedi,

Thanks for this...unfortunately, that driver is MacOS 11 and up.

Some good news: I think it's fixed.

What I did:

1. I deleted everything following this thread:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=20472

2. I then booted into Safe Mode
3. I rebooted and installed the original driver from the CD that came with the unit (2011!).
4. That got the window open, but no sound (maybe the driver was not compatible with Mojave?)
5. So I updated to the latest version for Mojave (OS 10.14), which is 3.221
6. That pretty much fixed it, and I got my GUI/Window back and the software talking to the Babyface.

However, the control buttons where mixed up on the Babyface. The Phones selection controlled the Master and vice versa.

I tried it in the new admin account and same thing; funnily enough, there is still no Loopback button on that account for some strange reason.

I flashed the unit again, with it plugged in, unplugged it for it to take effect (even though technically it wasn't doing anything as it was already up to date).

Changed over to the original Admin account, and the buttons on the Babyface now control in the right order.

One thing: I lost access to most of my past Workspaces. Not sure why a handful are accessible but most are greyed out.

Also, when I tried to load a past Workspace, the GUI turned all black. Really weird. I got it back by going to File-->Load Recent and loading one from the list.

This thing of the GUI turning black, I saw it before; it started happening a few weeks ago.

I'm almost wondering if this is a port/power issue on my laptop?
Having said that, my Babyface has the optional power supply unit, so it shouldn't be sucking too much power (if any?) when it runs.

Daniel, MJ or some other higher ups or experts may be able to shed further light on this.

The main thing, is, for now, I can get back to work.
Thanks Kindly,
Antonio

192 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-23 23:55:51)

anton.a1 wrote:

Hey Waedi,

Thanks for this...unfortunately, that driver is MacOS 11 and up.

Some good news: I think it's fixed.

What I did:

1. I deleted everything following this thread:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=20472

2. I then booted into Safe Mode
3. I rebooted and installed the original driver from the CD that came with the unit (2011!).
4. That got the window open, but no sound (maybe the driver was not compatible with Mojave?)
5. So I updated to the latest version for Mojave (OS 10.14), which is 3.221
6. That pretty much fixed it, and I got my GUI/Window back and the software talking to the Babyface.

However, the control buttons where mixed up on the Babyface. The Phones selection controlled the Master and vice versa.

I tried it in the new admin account and same thing; funnily enough, there is still no Loopback button on that account for some strange reason.

I flashed the unit again, with it plugged in, unplugged it for it to take effect (even though technically it wasn't doing anything as it was already up to date).

Changed over to the original Admin account, and the buttons on the Babyface now control in the right order.

One thing: I lost access to most of my past Workspaces. Not sure why a handful are accessible but most are greyed out.

Also, when I tried to load a past Workspace, the GUI turned all black. Really weird. I got it back by going to File-->Load Recent and loading one from the list.

This thing of the GUI turning black, I saw it before; it started happening a few weeks ago.

I'm almost wondering if this is a port/power issue on my laptop?
Having said that, my Babyface has the optional power supply unit, so it shouldn't be sucking too much power (if any?) when it runs.

Daniel, MJ or some other higher ups or experts may be able to shed further light on this.

The main thing, is, for now, I can get back to work.
Thanks Kindly,
Antonio

It's very nice that it worked out for you!

Edit: Ooops, I read the post wrong, as no posts where to be deleted.

MC wrote:

Clicking on the link would have spared you from a facepalm. No one wants to delete posts.

Yeah, I deserved that one. :-)

FYI, after reinstalling my OS, I've come to believe that the problem I was facing after creating a new admin account on my Mac may have been related (at least in part) to needing to re-authorize the Totalmix app in Preferences-->Security and Privacy-->Privacy Tab-->Microphone, or maybe under the General tab?

195 (edited by ingrinator 2022-11-08 15:46:30)

Please can you help me I've had issues with totalmix that isn't opening, I probably need to update the usb flash but when I click "update" nothing happens so my totalmix still doesn't open and I can"'t use my UFX

i'm on HighSierra 10.13.6
firmware v360 and driver v3.222

thanks

Check if you can see the UFX in the system report under USB.
Check these instructions: https://www.rme-audio.de/rme-macos.html

Is the UFX in Class compliant mode? (it should not, see manual)

The 360 firmware is not the cause that it is not working.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

I'm sure this is answered somewhere but is there a link to the USB driver that will work with mac os Catalina? Reading some threads there is discussion of beta's etc but links go to newer drivers for M1 & M2 macs. Thanks.

jez wrote:

I'm sure this is answered somewhere but is there a link to the USB driver that will work with mac os Catalina? Reading some threads there is discussion of beta's etc but links go to newer drivers for M1 & M2 macs. Thanks.

Catalina is 10.15

version 3.222. Compatible to 10.12 up to 10.15. M1 user please download macOS 11 and up USB Series Driver.

https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_mac_3222.zip

You did not tell for wich interface you are asking, I took that link from Babyface Pro FS, it works for the most interfaces too.

macOS 10.12 up to 10.15 driver for Fireface UFX / UFX+ / UFX II, 802, UCX, UCX II, UC, Babyface, Babyface Pro, MADIface XT/USB/Pro