Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

hello everyone, here i am again struggeling with FF400 and mbp M1 (running 11.6 and rme latest drivers 341)
for the love of god i cant find any pattern in this behaviour, sometimes it works for days and it does not matter if i plug in the interface before i start the computer / after waking up from sleep and what not, and sometimes it just refuses to be recognized, does not matter what i do(restarting everything, plug after boot, before boot, before log in and what not) . im using a good quality PSU and i measured it, it def. works fine, and the interface is working great with my old intel macbook pro. does anyone has a bullet proof method on how to get the interface working or am i just waisting my time and there is no reliable way of doing this?

I'm not sure anyone has posted this Apple article of February 2021 for anyone wanting to know more about these security policies, that could be good to know. I found it useful reading.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

RME - you guys rock.

I just purchased a new MBP M1 Pro and used your updated driver to plugin my RME Fireface 400 via two dongles...and...it...worked.

Thank you for making a product (and supporting a product) that has continued to function for over 10 years with very little issues.

I will update to a new RME interface in the next 12 to 18 months, but the fact that I don't have to panic and get one right after getting a £3000 laptop makes a big difference.

RME forever.

Thanks, that helped here with my FF400!!

MuMan wrote:
iamweith wrote:

Any suggestions for what I should try ?

Nothing I've tried makes my RME start-up properly at Mac startup and MIDI issue is still here

iamweith wrote:

Hi all,

Since the last updates in big Sur , especially 11.2 my FF400 is not detected anymore at startup (red host light ON) and no way to play sound through the FF. This is resolved after I plug and unplug the FF to my iMac mini M1 (I use a firewire cable 400 to 800-> tb2->tb3 all mac adaptors which worked fine before). It's annoying to have to do this each startup so I was wondering if I could do something to fix this.

The other bug I noticed that is worse is that I now have trouble sending midi OUT through the FF400 to my synths. I've discovered that I have to go to Audio-MIDI devices in my system preferences in order to refresh the window for it to start sending out MIDI.

I regret doing this update since everything was going perfect . Thought there might be some CPU and VST related benefits that might be worth it but I guess it was the bad call.

I'm posting this here but if I should do another thread please let me know.

Thank you for the continuous support of your legacy products, you're the best.

Same here with my Mac Mini. Have to unplug and replug after Startup to get the FF400 working.

http://www.nantschev.com
http://www.crystalhorizon.at

The latest Patch update for Total mix works perfect and my ghetto startup solution is no longer needed for my setup. I'm on MacOS 12.2 Mac mini m1 and FF400

feelingfaceform wrote:

Thanks, that helped here with my FF400!!

MuMan wrote:
iamweith wrote:

Any suggestions for what I should try ?

Nothing I've tried makes my RME start-up properly at Mac startup and MIDI issue is still here

Same here with my Mac Mini. Have to unplug and replug after Startup to get the FF400 working.

Just updated to MAC OS 12.3.

The RME Driver did not work after update.

After new installation of 3.41 (incl. security acception) and restarting of the MAC M1 max it works without problems!

thx
Franky

I did also update to Monterrey 12.3 and got a warning about the RME driver not been compatible with this new macOS version. I'm running 3.27 so where can I download 3.41? I don't see the link anywhere.

-> Download Page RME

thx
Franky

Samhain wrote:

Just updated to MAC OS 12.3.

The RME Driver did not work after update.

After new installation of 3.41 (incl. security acception) and restarting of the MAC M1 max it works without problems!

I've just upgraded to 12.3 on my M1 mac mini. I was able to put a new installation of 3.41 and for the most part, everything works. I just have one annoying problem though. Whenever a software program accesses the audio device, all my outputs are reset to a level of -29 (i.e. front L/R, rear L/R, headphones etc.). This is quite annoying because I find I'm having to adjust the output levels every time I make an MS Teams call, or join an online meeting.

Any thoughts? Should I try uninstalling and installing again?

Check your main volume settings for the System Audio Device, for example in Audio MIDI Setup. Further clue:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=10662

And BTW, this thread is about USB, not FireWire. You have a Fireface 400.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I only see 3.27, not 3.41, on the downloads page. Is there a direct link somewhere?

Babyface Pro FS / MacBook M1 Pro / Logic Pro X / Focal EVO 50’s

Answered one post above. 3.41 is FireWire.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

363 (edited by joemusician 2022-03-15 14:03:51)

Thank you. I just updated my MacBook and got the compatibility warning after the first reboot. I rebooted into recovery mode and saw that the Security option was still set to the lowered level from the first time I installed the RME driver. So I booted back up, intending to reinstall the driver, but this time the compatibility message did not appear. I connected the Babyface out of curiosity, and it connected just fine. Should I still reinstall the driver, or is it not necessary?

Babyface Pro FS / MacBook M1 Pro / Logic Pro X / Focal EVO 50’s

Adding my own observations

(my apologies if this is the incorrect forum, this is in regards to the Thunderbolt connectivity of my Fireface UFX+ to my iMacPro)

Setup:

• Fireface UFX+ connected to iMac Pro via Thunderbolt

• most recent driver version 1.21

• MacOS Monterey 12.3

I also received the the system extension warning:  "...contact the developer for support because the extension needs to be updated or will be incompatible with a future version of macOS"

That said, no complaints, everything presently seems to work perfectly. Just following through with Apple's recommendation to contact the developer smile

Copy / Paste from my system info (it looks like a dependency has been deprecated by Apple):

RMEPCIeAudio:

Version:    1.21
  Last Modified:    11/26/20, 1:00 AM
  Bundle ID:    de.rme.driver.PCIeAudio
  Notarized:    Yes
  Loaded:    Yes
  Obtained from:    Identified Developer
  Kind:    Universal
  Architectures:    arm64e, x86_64
  64-Bit (Intel):    Yes
  Kext Version:    1.21
  Load Address:    18446743522246214000
  Loadable:    Yes
  Dependencies:    Deprecated
  Signed by:    Developer ID Application: RME GmbH (67AK2U2X7M), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Hi all,

is it planned to release an updated rme driver for the Fireface UC on macOS 12.3?

I am running a MacBook air M1 2020 Big Sur 11.6.4 with audio interface RME Fireface UC.

The interface works fine when used with the OS running from the drive inside the laptop but I can’t get it to work when running the OS from an external drive.

Normally the instructions are:

boot in recovery mode reduce the security settings
reboot install the usb drivers
go into system prefs security and allow the RME to install then reboot
This all works with the internal OS drive

When doing the install of the interface with the external OS drive it just installs and completes but in the security prefs the option isn’t there to allow the RME. I've also tried cloning the internal drive to an external drive and the interface still won't work. It isn't a power issue either.

Hey Thanks for the help, I've tried adjusting the security setting on the external drive and still no luck.

BlackBlossom wrote:
KC wrote:

I am running a MacBook air M1 2020 Big Sur 11.6.4 with audio interface RME Fireface UC.

The interface works fine when used with the OS running from the drive inside the laptop but I can’t get it to work when running the OS from an external drive.

Normally the instructions are:

boot in recovery mode reduce the security settings
reboot install the usb drivers
go into system prefs security and allow the RME to install then reboot
This all works with the internal OS drive

When doing the install of the interface with the external OS drive it just installs and completes but in the security prefs the option isn’t there to allow the RME. I've also tried cloning the internal drive to an external drive and the interface still won't work. It isn't a power issue either.

I think the solution you are looking for is somewhere in here: https://eclecticlight.co/2021/05/11/how … f-big-sur/

The OS security is not set at a machine level, but rather at a disk volume level. You've allowed your machine's internal disk to boot with lighter security and to run the RME driver with your permission, but you haven't done the same thing to the external drive. There's a guide in the above link how to address the other drive and apply the same settings.

Hello folks

Woke up this morning and my UCX II just doesn't work. USB section flashes yellow and then settles on "OFF". I'm guessing it's because I need to flash the USB. However, I can't flash because my Macbook doesn't connect to the UCX II. So, how can I flash the USB if I can't use USB?

Gonna re-read the thread, hope someone can help me out.

Just tried to connect it to my old 2016 Macbook running the old drivers to see if I could flash it there and apparently I still can't connect to the UCX II. Just doesn't show up. the 2016 Macbook is still on Catalina, hasn't been updated in months.

What has happened here? USB light just flashes yellow and then settles on OFF, and then the UCX II is just a brick.

BlackBlossom wrote:
BlackBlossom wrote:

Had to switch to USB driver here to use the UFX+ at 32 samples in Logic 10.7.3 on an M1 Macbook.

The same setup via Thunderbolt is now creating crackles on audio output, I'm not sure if it's Logic 10.7.3, MacOS 12.3 or the RME Thunderbolt driver but the performance is better under USB.

This is with both USB and Thunderbolt directly connected to the Macbook's ports. It doesn't seem too bad in Reaper, but Logic is not usable at 32 samples with Thunderbolt. Ableton is also affected, cannot run at 32 on Thunderbolt but is fine at 32 with USB. Is it possible the Thunderbolt driver needs an update for Monterey 12.3?

Can anyone reproduce this on an M1 machine?

I guess I'm the only one who can't run UFX+ at 32 samples on an M1 via Thunderbolt? Seems a bit odd nobody else is talking about it, there is clearly some issue between the Thunderbolt and the USB connection under Monterey.

You are not alone, I posted that few months back.

Hi all,

I've been using the RME Babyface Pro (USB) with my iMac Pro (2017) for the past several years. I recently bought an M1 Macbook Pro and would like to use the interface with this computer. I read through the thread and I understand the instructions for installing the driver.

I have a somewhat related question. Like all new Macbook Pros, mine only has USB-C ports (not USB-A). Will the Babyface Pro work if it's connected to a Thunderbolt dock, which is in turn connected to my Macbook Pro? I seem to recall that this DIDN'T work with my iMac Pro—I had to connect the Babyface Pro directly to the iMac Pro.

If it won't work with a dock, I guess I would need a USB-A to USB-C dongle/adapter in order to connect the interface directly to my Macbook Pro?

Both ways should work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Both ways should work.

Is using an Apple USB to USB C adapter the best way to connect my 802 to the Mac? I wasn't sure if I needed to hunt down a special cable for this.

Hello! Trying to find my footing here and hope this isn't a repeat question on this topic, but I've recently gotten a Fireface UFX, installed the driver software for my Macbook Pro M1 2020 running OS 11.6.2, but can't get my computer to recognize the UFX at all, so I'm guessing it's a problem with the installation. I see in the initial post about reduced security in recovery mode, but it seems to reference a different driver (324) instead of the latest, 327, so I'm wondering if that should be my next step, or if there might be another problem I might be missing? (I'm not familiar with the recovery mode...). Thanks!

This applies to all driver versions.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

376 (edited by samueljpost 2022-04-27 22:26:11)

Thanks! Yes I managed to get the drivers working and my fireface UFX working with my macbook, but my computer has re-started now twice with this ominous error message / report. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Here's a link to the screenshot, can't figure out how to upload the image onto thread here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1brO__j … sp=sharing

Seems...not so great! specifically the "panic" part sad

Is that a UFX II?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Nope, just Fireface UFX

SpinWorkRecord wrote:
MC wrote:

Both ways should work.

Is using an Apple USB to USB C adapter the best way to connect my 802 to the Mac? I wasn't sure if I needed to hunt down a special cable for this.

Im going with the adapter for now. I'll see how it works.

Hi there, i have the issue too ... i know i should follow the procedure mentioned earlier but i just don't know how to proceed. I'm just a musician ;-) kernel tasks, terminal codes & such is not talking to me ... today, my fireface ufx2 is not recognised & i need to reinstall the 3.27 driver on every boot.
I've spent 2 hrs with the Apple Care, nothing worked.
I run Mac OS 11.6.5 & Fireface UFX2 SW Version 14 on a 2019 IMac.
Any chance guys to give a hand ?
Regards.

My 2022 Mac Studio M1 Max is running the latest Monterey OS. What are steps to install the latest ADI-2 Pro FS drivers and software? By the way . . . the ADI is recognized by Mac Audio MIDI Setup. But no DigiCheck or TotalMix FX!

How can I remove all RME components and reinstall?

Thanks

GrievousAngel
Live Sound & Recording Studio Owner
Severely influenced by Rock'n Roll!
ADI-2 Pro FS

There are no drivers for the ADI on the Mac, there's nothing to install.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

383 (edited by DRUMFish 2022-05-13 12:25:09)

Allright guys, i'm desperate now !! even reinstalling the driver each time doesn't work anymore. My 2000 euros interface does not work anymore !! hmmmm ... any help from RME would be much appreciated.

Edit : i had to relaunch the driver install many times before it worked ... weird.

I know the basic driver for the ADI-2 Pro FS is internal to the Mac, but ...
What about Firmware updates? Digicheck? MixTital FX?

Thanks

GrievousAngel
Live Sound & Recording Studio Owner
Severely influenced by Rock'n Roll!
ADI-2 Pro FS

There is no TotalMix for the ADI-2 Pro. DigiCheck NG is available as download on our website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, I'll have tried everything on the website. And a lot of the repeated items that were in these threads (& reddit) to try and resolve the issue with my ufx+ and the 2020 M1 MacBook Pro that I was forced to get as my 2012 intel Mac finally died.

I have been completely unsuccessful in getting this UFX+ to work and these threads are my last resort. As I work during the week and can't sit on the phone and attempt talk call a support line to try and get this resolved.

Been trying for the last 2 days to get the ufx+ to work. I even got the drivers to install properly (as far as I can tell). Following the instructions found on the RME website to the letter! Here in lies the problem. I can't SEE anything happening! If the drivers are truly installed, why don't I see anything?

The icons for the apps that are installed with the driver, are there but other than that... it's as if I didn't even do anything.

Attempted to open Total Mix, nothing happens. I attempt to open the USB driver app. Nothing happens.

Here's the kicker, I attempted to set it up using a type-c Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. As the MacBook pros now only have thunderbolt 4 ports with type c connectors.

This was before I found the forum entry that said "thunderbolt doesn't work for M1 Macs as of yet".

So, after finding out about that failure. I attempted to uninstall everything RME related & install it via the USB method, using a simple USB 3.0 type c adapter to USB 3.0 cable. The driver installed perfectly fine as well... The "allow" button being grayed out in security settings...etc, etc. I went through that whole process.

I can see the RME driver app icon that installs along with Total Mix. As well as the total mix icon itself. But just as before I can open it and nothing happens.

The interface just sits there.

The host light on the front is blue just as it was before this whole debacle.

I'm starting to think that I may have screwed something up, because I attempted to install it the Thunderbolt way...Now that I found out it isn't supported right now.

Previously when I had attached the Thunderbolt 2 cable into the adapter dongle connected to the Mac. The rme ufx+ went into this repeating loop of making clicking noises and then the left side of the VU meter would light up fully green. Each light above the front XLR jacks would blink red. And all of them would then shut off...the screen in front would just be white and show nothing. And this cycle of clicking and blinking repeated until unplugging the Thunderbolt 2 cable. At which point the ufx+ would promptly restart into standalone mode.

That isn't the case when you plug in a USB 3.0 cable. The UFX+ starts up perfectly normal. Displays the logo as well as the software version. (44 in my case) and the host light goes blue as per usual.

It looks as if it is fully capable of running in standalone mode. So I know, I didn't break the machine.

But as it is this $4,000 piece of hardware is quite useless if I can't get it to work with the only computer that I have.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Sorry for the novel, but at this time I am quite frustrated.

387 (edited by DRUMFish 2022-05-15 13:42:34)

Ok guys, i have tried everything i could find on this forum.

1 : Topic: Definitive solution for macOS "driver not loaded" Security problems

Since Apple released MacOS 10.13 the so called Secure Kernel Extension Loading (SKEL) has caused continued frustration, and wasted tons of time for both customers and supporters - because it doesn't act reliably, predictably and always in the same way for everyone.
RME drivers (kernel extensions) are signed and notarized, compiled with the latest XCode, and therefore in most cases an easy and quick installation. But for some it can mean multiple installations, manually deleting files and countless reboots until the dreaded Security & Privacy Allow dialog pops up. Worst: for some that never happens.
There is a working solution to this problem. If all the following steps have failed:
- manually performimg the 'allow' function in the Security & Privacy app. Will only work if the RME driver is shown there.
- reinstalling the driver including reboots several times until the dialog comes up
- deleting the driver's kernel extension manually prior to reinstalling it
then the user can add the RME driver manually to the Mac's Trusted List. Instead of dectivating the whole System Integrity Protection (SIP), which also works, but obviously is not the best approach, adding the RME kernel extension (precisely: the RME team identifier) to the trusted list disables the SIP only for RME kernel extensions. No harm done and the computer is still protected as most users want it to be.
Here's how:
- Boot into macOS Recovery mode. To do so turn on the computer and immediately press and hold the keys Command (⌘) and R. Release the keys when you see an Apple logo, spinning globe, or other startup screen. Enter your password if requested to do so. Startup is complete when you see the utilities window.
- Open Terminal from the Utilities menu in the menu bar.
- Run the command: /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 67AK2U2X7M
- Reboot the computer
It should not be necessary, but in case the driver is still not loaded check that everything worked as expected by using this command in the Terminal (Recovery mode not required):
/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list
This should give the following result:
Allowed Team Identifiers:
67AK2U2X7M
... this worked.

https://i.postimg.cc/cHTZPdft/Capture-d-cran-2022-05-15-14-08-04.png

2 : Topic: Mac Big Sur: driver not loaded after reboot

Symptom: The audio interface only works directly after driver installation. The usual reboot after driver installation will no longer load the driver, so the audio interface is unavailable. This is reported with macOS 11.4, but also with 11.3.1.
Cause: Not fully clear. According to user feedback this can happen after OS updates, other companies driver updates and RME driver updates.
Underlying cause: It seems that the internal data base of macOS kernel extensions and security permissions gets corrupted. While the driver clearly had been allowed before the OS now acts as if it was not. On reboot, that is.
Fix: has to come from Apple.
Workaround: according to user feedback it is possible to refresh the internal list and bring back the former, working system. Forum user ndc described how to do that (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 60#p170260):
- boot into recovery mode
- open Terminal
- run the kernel extension panic medic boot command by typing:
kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/YOUR_HD_DRIVE_NAME

To make sure i've typed the right name, i visited this website as recommended : https://rme-audio.de/rme-drivers-macos-reset.html

https://i.postimg.cc/mZwJ3dSk/Capture-d-cran-2022-05-15-14-27-07.png

Default hard drive name is Macintosh HD, where the space has to be replaced with _, i.e. Macintosh_HD.
Else use your custom drive name.
This action removes the kext-consent entries. These can now be re-approved after a reboot:
- Reboot into normal mode
- Go to Security&Privacy and allow all items currently not allowed.
- It might be necessary to install the RME driver again to trigger a kext consent entry notice. If you reinstall make sure not to click reboot too early., first finish the driver installation and the Security&Privacy request.

BOTH STEPS WORKED ... so when i've installed the driver again, i had multiple Security warning " PACEapp outdated" with every MAC OS version on each warning ... WTHeck !!

& ... My Fireface UFX2 is still silent & has been for days !!!

Even when the device info shows the Fireface !!!

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqQDnR6h/Capture-d-cran-2022-05-15-14-40-44.png

Help please !!!

Isn't PACEapp a part of MAXmsp?

If you have an old version in your extensions folder, it's known to make your Mac run slow and even cause the kernel to hang.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

389 (edited by DRUMFish 2022-05-16 11:38:15)

i found 2 PACE app folder : Library > Application Support > PACE Anti-Piracy : both have not much inside to look for
The folder contains some iLok engine & support plugins.
I've also checked my iLok dongle, everything is up to date, registered & activated.
I've also uninstalled the Avid HD Driver which seamed to cause issues with other drivers.

https://i.postimg.cc/G2fY8zFM/Capture-d-cran-2022-05-16-11-35-32.png

If I see mention of that Avid driver (it's very old) I think the only sensible thing to do is a clean install of Macos. Who knows what else might be hiding in there?

391 (edited by DRUMFish 2022-05-20 07:39:33)

i just can't do an other clean install of mac os ... i'll have to reinstall all my plugins etc etc all my audio stuff ... i can't even list the zillion of plugins i got ... more than 500 hundred ...

UPDATE : Yesterday it just didn't work, after many try the fireface was not recognised .... Then i installed the new UAD update, i restart the mac & the fireface is then working back to normal ... recognised right away i didn't need to reinstall the 3.27 driver again ... mystery ...

If it works, it works. No need for a clean install then.

393 (edited by DRUMFish 2022-05-24 13:22:28)

Yes, it works !! i'm relieved !! on my side, the problem came from the UAD drivers, as soon as i've installed the update yesterday, the fireface was then recognised.
The only weird thing is that the fireface ufx2 is recognised after 15-30 seconds, not right at the launch like it used to do.
And also, the fireface usb settings launches by itself.

394 (edited by salvacoromina 2022-06-16 08:59:23)

Hi,

I can't get my fireface 400 (Red Host) to work on my MacBook air Big Sur 11.3, I do all the Kernel steps but when I install the driver the message in security and privacy doesn't appear, so I can't unlock the lock, I have reinstalled many times but this gray button never appears, I have to activate and deactivate this step:

(Security Policy -> Reduced Security -> Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers)

every time to get the crash message when installing the driver, but in this step:

(Install the RME driver. Before the reboot for finishing the driver installation open System Preferences, Security & Privacy, tab General. There should be a gray Allow button in the right lower area. Click the unlock symbol first, then confirm using the RME kernel extension. Finally reboot)

The gray allow button message never appears, I don't know what it means either (using the RME kernel extension?)

I'm stuck at this point

Thanks

395 (edited by francis1661 2022-06-23 13:21:34)

anyone else here still suffers from irregular behaviour with ff400 and m1 macs? mine works great sometimes for days and sometimes it just wont be recognized for days, i cant find any pattern or explain this, @rme any plans on releasing a new driver that might solve this? or should i just give up on the interface?

After installation the driver I found my m1 max pro macbook started lagging as shit... Randomly. When I watching youtube for example, or working in Ableton. So I can say it is not acceptable to buy high level audio interface and top laptop and have 2-5 seconds freezing just watching youtube, right? Even if card is not connected, I still have these problems. I want to uninstall drivers and hope my laptop will work again properly. But then I need to sell my babyface pro fs... Or, maybe someone from developers already working on this problem?
Many thanks

There is a known issue with Core audio when using Chrome or Firefox as a browser. Did you try Safari?

To see if it's this issue that's affecting your playback chain, have a look at Activity monitor to check CPU usage for Core audio. If it's in the 10 to 20% range, you'll have to wait for an update from Apple.

Core audio normally uses 1 to 2% CPU max.

398 (edited by naturligasteg 2022-06-29 10:21:42)

With the aggregate driver most things are working on my Mac M1 Studio, but yesterday I was invited to a meeting in Microsoft Teams so I installed the Team-app on my Mac. Playback of the meeting audio worked with my RME 802, but I could not get it to accept any inputs from my 802 and mics connected to it. Tried both the 802 driver and the aggregate driver. Is there a trick to get this working or is it a known bug? I had to give it up and use a headset in the headphone jack on the Mac Studio.

You didn't forget to give Teams access to the mic icon in System preferences/Security & privacy?

Forgot. Well hard to forget something you not know about. I will look for that. This is my first ever mac so things are alien to me.

cyrano wrote:

You didn't forget to give Teams access to the mic icon in System preferences/Security & privacy?