Topic: 12mic and UFX+ with TotalMix

This should be a very simple question, but I haven't been able to find the answer from reading this forum or the web site.

I have a UFX+ and I'm thinking about adding a 12mic. Will the 12mic be controllable in TotalMix (gain, etc.)?

As far as I can tell, the Octamic XTC will work this way, but I want to confirm that the 12mic will also.

Re: 12mic and UFX+ with TotalMix

Not yet. Aux Device support is planned, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thats very nice to hear.

@vanceen: I have a combination of UFX+, XTC and 12Mic running.
Administration via Web is well, but I also prefer Aux Device support.
Its better to have one admin tool and to be able to save and restore settings with TM FX as I am used to with the XTC.

BTW .. get RME SFPs to be on the safe side, I accidently picked the wrong multimode SFPs with wrong wavelength wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks.

Just looking at the options, the difference in street price between the Octamic XTC, the 12mic, and the M-1610 pro is not that great, so that the cost per channel goes down significantly as the number of channels go up.

Is AUX Device support planned for the M-1610 as well?

5 (edited by ramses 2020-10-15 14:13:07)

Would be great, as each channel can have different reference levels.

This would be consistent then with the operation of the UFX+ and 12Mic / XTC
to be able to store and restore settings for an environment or special recording project settings.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

What's the advantage of the SFP over just using a coax cable for MADI? I suppose optical cables can be longer, but is there a tecnical advantage apart from that?

Sorry to ask naive questions. I've been using a DAW for a long time, and I've had a FF 400, a FF 800, and now a UFX+. But there have been so many new developments with Dante, MADI, AVB... It's hard to find concise explanations.

Optical cables are immune for all kinds of electro-magnetic disturbance, plus do not connect ground (no ground loop). That's not only useful with long connections, but especially useful with long connections.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks!

Just looking at the options, the difference in street price between the Octamic XTC, the 12mic, and the M-1610 pro is not that great, so that the cost per channel goes down significantly as the number of channels go up.

The M-1610 Pro doesn't have mic preamps, therefore no gain or phantom power to be set up. Reference levels are switchable (+13/+19/+24 dBu), but that's usually static within your setup, so Totalmix integration is not necessary.

Best
Marc

10 (edited by vanceen 2020-10-17 15:06:13)

Thanks, Marc S. Yes, just D-Subs for breakout boxes on the M-1610.

11 (edited by ramses 2020-10-17 17:35:25)

Marc S wrote:

The M-1610 Pro doesn't have mic preamps, therefore no gain or phantom power to be set up. Reference levels are switchable (+13/+19/+24 dBu), but that's usually static within your setup, so Totalmix integration is not necessary.

Best
Marc

Sorry if I disagree. Just my $0.02..

Maybe this was not so important or "requested" in the "old times", where a converter with only 8 ports have only been bought by studio owners, where such a device typically became connected to a mixer which only needed 1 static setting for reflevel and where this converter was part of a fix setup.

But now we see devices which allow reference levels per port and we see more and more enthusiasts with different demands, which also look for such a RME converter with many ports for different purposes / use cases.
And why should this converter with "reflevel per port" be treated differently compared to an UFX+ where such settings can be stored in snapshots ?

It makes more sense to me that RME introduces an unique treatment for all devices so that you can say "the most important settings can be stored and recalled in TM FX snapshots for all devices" to sell this idea as a very unique RME feature.

This would also serve very well if you use devices in a mobile rack for different purposes. Then you can store and recall settings for different locations...

And I am personally a big fan of being able to store and recall all important settings of a complete RME environment and to have TotalMix FX as central tool for that.

12 (edited by hardyroede 2021-02-19 09:51:46)

Dear RME team, short question regarding Aux device support on newer devices:

MC wrote:

Aux Device support is planned, though.

MC said this re: 12mic, but will it also apply to AVB tool, as the two share some technical foundations?

And - probably no plan for release date, I presume, but just asking. ,) Thanks!

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

MC wrote:

Hello,
Is the Aux Devices integration of the 12mic (and maybe the AVB Tool) still planned ?
If so, when ? :-)

Intel i7, Windows 10, RME UFX+, Ferrofish Pulsar16MX

+1

+1

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

+1

UFX+ and 12mic and ADI96-Pro

+1

+1=5

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

19 (edited by georgob 2022-08-05 12:05:33)

+1
I wonder what people should do who own a 12Mic and Micstasys. Afaik these two preamps cannot be controlled with the same application (Midiremote, Midiremote AVB, Totalmix).
Are there plans to include the Micstasys as well?
Georg

20 (edited by cigame 2022-08-05 16:08:51)

At the moment I use the WebInterface for 12 Mic and M1610 and the old Midi Remote for XTC and Micstasy with midi over MADI.
Four preamps in UFX+ with TM.
Three separate Apps for controlling.
That's not optimal.

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

21 (edited by ramses 2022-08-05 19:22:55)

cigame wrote:

Currently I use the Web Interface for 12 Mic and M1610 and the old Midi Remote for XTC and Micstasy with midi over MADI.
Four preamps in UFX+ with TM.
Three separate Apps for controlling.
That's not optimal.

Agree. Esp Auxdevice for preamps I regard as an RME core feature for preamps.

Additionally, I would hope that Auxdevice feature becomes available as well for AD/DA converter, e.g.,
— selection of reference level (newer devices support per port settings)
— gain if applicable.

Hope Auxdevice will also come for AVB based networks in the future.

Besides remote control through TotalMix FX (which only covers remote control of most important parameters)
I regard it as important that remote control by TM FX/Auxdevice and any other remote control application like MIDI Remote
are compatible to each other and can be used in parallel, e.g., on the same MADI bus.
Currently, it's not possible to use MIDI Remote and TM FX at the same MADI bus for, e.g., XTC and ADI-8 QS.
Incompatibilities like this should be avoided in the future for whatever comes next.

Hello,

+1  i also hope the 12mic AuxDevice is planned in the not so distant future for bette integration.

Maybe with the release of the expensive 12mic Dante, this feature will make the top of the list.

+1

I really need TotalMix to integrate 12mic with UFX!!!

Please!

Thank You!

+1. Please update us on this.

25 (edited by ehabmxd 2022-11-27 03:31:04)

+1

Until now, I do not have any device from RME, but I am a good follower of the RME company, and I would like to move to RME soon

I have the Waves SoundGrid system, and what I like about it is that the program has almost everything
Mixer, patching and routing,  set up very
And everything is organized with all detail with Nice GUi the driver is very stable but latency Big problem

I would like to see one program Of RME like Waves Soundrgrid that has it all

Thank U

Yess big_smile

I would also love the 12 mic to work in totalmix fx

I alerady own both card <3

Thank you RME for everything you do and are !  Your are amazing mutch love !

I have 72 tracks available with 2 Micstasy and 7 XTC.
I already manage everything with TotalMix for the XTC AND 2 separate windows for the 2 Micstasy.
I'm still waiting for the 12Mic to be managed with Totalmix, I won't buy anymore RME preamp if I need to open one more window to manage it.

I record on location and already have enough things to manage not to play with several windows just for the preamps.
I already wish I could also manage the Micstasy via Totalmix...

Please do it.

Fred.

http://www.adcsound.ch/actualites

28 (edited by ramses 2023-03-13 13:00:13)

adcsound wrote:

I have 72 tracks available with 2 Micstasy and 7 XTC.
I already manage everything with TotalMix for the XTC AND 2 separate windows for the 2 Micstasy.
I'm still waiting for the 12Mic to be managed with Totalmix, I won't buy anymore RME preamp if I need to open one more window to manage it.

I record on location and already have enough things to manage not to play with several windows just for the preamps.
I already wish I could also manage the Micstasy via Totalmix...

Please do it.

Fred.

Maybe this helps you as a workaround for now until Auxdevice support is there for the 12Mic:

The new application "MIDI Remote AVB" supports XTC, 12Mic, AVB Tool.

Download links:
Windows: https://rme-audio.de/downloads/RME-MIDI … -1.0.0.exe
macOS:     https://rme-audio.de/downloads/RME-MIDI … -1.0.0.dmg

It uses "MIDI over MADI", so you do not need Ethernet/LAN for operation (perhaps only for 1st time setup).

Below is a screenshot in case you didn't see it yet.
Although integration into TM FX is also my preference, I can tell that design and handling are excellent.
You can save settings to device presets and snapshots, comparable to TM FX.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frut1sr1czghsf7/2023-03-13%20MIDI%20Remote%20AVB.jpg?dl=1

29 (edited by cigame 2023-03-13 16:40:56)

But then the 2  Micstasys won't get remote

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

30 (edited by ramses 2023-03-13 17:35:26)

Yes and the other question is whether two remote control programs which use MIDI over MADI can operate together.
I remember I had issues controlling
- ADI-8 QS (via MIDI Remote) and
- XTC (via Auxdevice)
at the same time over the same MADI bus.

Maybe it is easier for RME to integrate also the Micstasy into MIDI remote AVB (like the XTC).
Then he could at least control everything via one separate application.

31 (edited by adcsound 2023-03-14 17:43:06)

I have no issue controlling the 9 units, it works but I have 3 opened windows during the sound check which is already too much. The Micsatsy should - to me- already being integrated inside totalmix.

I don't understand why totalmix does not remote all the RME MADI gear preamps, but that's how it is.
Too bad.

Tks Ramses, I already knew this soft.

MC wrote:

+1

Any update on remote controlling the 12Mic over MADI?

Thanks in advance!

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

mjfe87 wrote:
MC wrote:

+1

Thanks in advance!

Yes sure, didn't you read this thread, see my posting here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 56#p199056

ramses wrote:
mjfe87 wrote:
MC wrote:

+1

Thanks in advance!

Yes sure, didn't you read this thread, see my posting here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 56#p199056

Ah yes, thanks! So there are effectively two versions of MIDI Remote which are required for setups combining 12Mic, Octamic XTC and Micstasy?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Yes the old MIDI Remote which you know and the newer product for only a few interfaces, MIDI remote AVB.

hello
When will everything be combined into one program

I'm about to buy RMEs ufxIII, m1610pro and 12 MIC  and wanted to make sure
Because frankly, I don't want to get lost in alot of windows to adjust the sound, and I want an integrated program and an iPad application that I can quickly digitally control.

This is the idea of waves Soundgrid
I see that you can apply it with TotalMix to be the interface for audio inputs, outputs and other protocols
+patching(routing)
https://static.kvraudio.com/i/b/soundgrid-studio-emotion-st-8-ch-6.jpg
https://static.kvraudio.com/i/b/soundgrid-studio-emotion-st-8-ch-4.jpg
https://static.kvraudio.com/i/b/soundgrid-studio-emotion-st-8-ch-3.jpg

I/O device u can add up to 8

thank u

Hello,
Now the UFX III is done...

I'm also still hoping for the Total Mix Aux Device integration for the 12mic !

It's basically the last thing needed to use UFX and 12mic preamp as a multipurpose recording/live tool in a practical way.

Thanks.

Almost one year since the last post and nothing new...

39 (edited by midifail 2023-10-02 18:30:02)

Any news on this?

TotalMix integration would be really helpful especially for users with small screens (Laptop) - no need to use another app, because TotalMix is already running.

Frequently in use:
Fireface UFX+, Fireface 800 (as a AD/DA-Converter) and an old RME Sweater... ;-)

+1

+1

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

42 (edited by quarternote 2023-10-13 17:58:12)

12-mic, avb-tool as aux device with ufx+

+1 (all the "+1" I have counted since 2020 easily sum up to ~ 200)

first thing I read about that was in 2020: rme´s statement: aux device is on the agenda for 12-mic but corona got in our way. Interrupted supply chains etc. Now that has been 3 (three!!!) years ago. Please rme, wake up and get going. I would instantly buy a 12 mic if only there was a way to remote control it as an aux device in Total mix. Same issue with avb-tool. Now I have to shop for an Octa XTC at ebay. Should have bought that while it still was available? Has not been available since a couple of years even in bigger webshops. And it was officially referred to as a legacy product in UK while still being presented on the german web pages as available.
So please RME !! 12 mic!! Aux Device!! AVB-Tool!! Aux Device!! What do we have to offer you to get this done??

Babyface, Babyface Pro FX, FF400, Octamic, UFX+. Waiting for aux device for AVB Tool and 12 Mic!

+1
I am a professional user of RME equipment. RME must offer us solutions. Does RME have too many technicians and not enough professional users to understand our requests?

I have 2 Micstasy, 8 XTC and one 12MIC. XTC are no more available so I'll have to go 12MIC now.
You advertise on your site for Totalmix... which is slowly becoming obsolete.
Please DO something for your clients.

Fred.

hello i would like to know if any soon update on this topic ?