Re: ADI-2/4 Prototyp

Happy_amateur wrote:

Is there a Pentaconn wiring diagram for ADI 2/4 pro se. Ground is left out like PRO fsr?

Why should ground be left out?
For using Pentaconn as Balanced Line Out ground/shield is needed.

What is “Pro fsr”?

202 (edited by Happy_amateur 2022-09-20 17:53:28)

KaiS wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

Is there a Pentaconn wiring diagram for ADI 2/4 pro se. Ground is left out like PRO fsr?

What is “Pro fsr”?

Let me elaborate: Is there a wiring scheme for the balanced pentaconn plug supposed to be used for the new ADI  2/4 pro se? Does it follow l+ l- r+ r-, t,r,r,r respectively. Will ground be left out like ADI-2 pro fsr balanced mode.

Can you explain that shield part. How would it be connected at the headphone end? Whats the use in comparison to ADI-2 pro fsr balanced mode?

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

203 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-21 07:24:38)

Happy_amateur wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

What is “Pro fsr”?

Let me elaborate: Is there a wiring scheme for the balanced pentaconn plug supposed to be used for the new ADI  2/4 pro se? Does it follow l+ l- r+ r-, t,r,r,r respectively. Will ground be left out like ADI-2 pro fsr balanced mode.

Can you explain that shield part. How would it be connected at the headphone end? Whats the use in comparison to ADI-2 pro fsr balanced mode?

There’s a standard wiring scheme for Pentaconn that includes ground connection.

Why would RME do a different one?

Pentaconn’s Screen/Ground in general is needed to connect unbalanced ‘phones and line level devices, like the AKG K-812, which does not offer a balanced connection option.

ADI-2/4, BTW, has the same 2 unbalanced 1/4” TRS sockets like ADI-2 Pro for this purposes too.

Balanced ‘phones in general don’t use Pentaconn’s extra grounding/screen, like with 4-pin XLR, where it’s present on the housing, but left open.

Of course one could use shielded cable and link the screen to the Pentaconn housing, but this would be without real functionality.

The special and not widespread solution for balanced ‘phones on ADI-2 Pro (2x 1/4” TRS) results from it’s architecture, and probably the lack of a small sized common standard for balanced ‘phones connection at the time of ADI-2’s development.
EDIT, forgot to mention: Ground is present on both ADI-2 Pro’s TRS connectors of course, just not needed for balanced ‘phones.

I hope this comprehensive explanation clears all questions left.

Thnx KaiS! Thats about all of it I think. Got a 4.4mm in the mail so, wanted to be sure before I put the thing together smile ,but its like I thought. No reason for RME to do it different.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

205 (edited by Babaluma 2022-09-24 15:56:53)

Any official update on the release date, (or even the manual)? The money's burning a hole in my bank account!

https://musicwall.app/hermetech