Re: ADI-2/4 Prototyp

Happy_amateur wrote:

Is there a Pentaconn wiring diagram for ADI 2/4 pro se. Ground is left out like PRO fsr?

Why should ground be left out?
For using Pentaconn as Balanced Line Out ground/shield is needed.

What is “Pro fsr”?

202 (edited by Happy_amateur 2022-09-20 16:53:28)

KaiS wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

Is there a Pentaconn wiring diagram for ADI 2/4 pro se. Ground is left out like PRO fsr?

What is “Pro fsr”?

Let me elaborate: Is there a wiring scheme for the balanced pentaconn plug supposed to be used for the new ADI  2/4 pro se? Does it follow l+ l- r+ r-, t,r,r,r respectively. Will ground be left out like ADI-2 pro fsr balanced mode.

Can you explain that shield part. How would it be connected at the headphone end? Whats the use in comparison to ADI-2 pro fsr balanced mode?

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

203 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-21 06:24:38)

Happy_amateur wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

What is “Pro fsr”?

Let me elaborate: Is there a wiring scheme for the balanced pentaconn plug supposed to be used for the new ADI  2/4 pro se? Does it follow l+ l- r+ r-, t,r,r,r respectively. Will ground be left out like ADI-2 pro fsr balanced mode.

Can you explain that shield part. How would it be connected at the headphone end? Whats the use in comparison to ADI-2 pro fsr balanced mode?

There’s a standard wiring scheme for Pentaconn that includes ground connection.

Why would RME do a different one?

Pentaconn’s Screen/Ground in general is needed to connect unbalanced ‘phones and line level devices, like the AKG K-812, which does not offer a balanced connection option.

ADI-2/4, BTW, has the same 2 unbalanced 1/4” TRS sockets like ADI-2 Pro for this purposes too.

Balanced ‘phones in general don’t use Pentaconn’s extra grounding/screen, like with 4-pin XLR, where it’s present on the housing, but left open.

Of course one could use shielded cable and link the screen to the Pentaconn housing, but this would be without real functionality.

The special and not widespread solution for balanced ‘phones on ADI-2 Pro (2x 1/4” TRS) results from it’s architecture, and probably the lack of a small sized common standard for balanced ‘phones connection at the time of ADI-2’s development.
EDIT, forgot to mention: Ground is present on both ADI-2 Pro’s TRS connectors of course, just not needed for balanced ‘phones.

I hope this comprehensive explanation clears all questions left.

Thnx KaiS! Thats about all of it I think. Got a 4.4mm in the mail so, wanted to be sure before I put the thing together smile ,but its like I thought. No reason for RME to do it different.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

205 (edited by Babaluma 2022-09-24 14:56:53)

Any official update on the release date, (or even the manual)? The money's burning a hole in my bank account!

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

For a long time I have been looking for the best possible interface for audio measurements and this one with built-in analog attenuators / range selctors on input and output looks perfect. Is it possible to switch these input and output ranges manually from the application level? directly from SW over USB?

ChUmI wrote:

For a long time I have been looking for the best possible interface for audio measurements and this one with built-in analog attenuators / range selctors on input and output looks perfect. Is it possible to switch these input and output ranges manually from the application level? directly from SW over USB?

input yes. adi-2 pro already has this feature.

Can I pre-order one yet?

Babaluma wrote:

Any official update on the release date, (or even the manual)? The money's burning a hole in my bank account!

That's bad - can I send you my account number?

smile

The ADI-2/4 Pro SE is now in production. The first batch is already sold out, so anyone who wants one should contact their dealers, or maybe even the local distributor and ask for it. This unit runs in limited, small numbers, it will not be lying in the shop shelves waiting for someone to buy it (although these days that is hardly the case anyway).

MSRP in Germany is 2499 € including VAT, expected shipping end of October.

We are currently finalising the firmware, and because of last minute changes I did not upload the manual yet - it makes no sense to release changing specs and features into the public. Such wrong information will stay forever, so I decided to wait. Should be in a few days, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

210 (edited by Babaluma 2022-10-09 09:05:29)

MC wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

That's bad - can I send you my account number?

smile

The ADI-2/4 Pro SE is now in production. The first batch is already sold out, so anyone who wants one should contact their dealers, or maybe even the local distributor and ask for it. This unit runs in limited, small numbers, it will not be lying in the shop shelves waiting for someone to buy it (although these days that is hardly the case anyway).

MSRP in Germany is 2499 € including VAT, expected shipping end of October.

We are currently finalising the firmware, and because of last minute changes I did not upload the manual yet - it makes no sense to release changing specs and features into the public. Such wrong information will stay forever, so I decided to wait. Should be in a few days, though.

Thanks for the update MC! It's shame it won't be widely available, and the first batch is already sold out without ever being advertised for sale. sad Is there no way I can get on a list or something? I'll have a search for your Italian dealer/distributors and hit them up. I have the cash waiting.

I am not a dealer/shop, so when I say 'sold out' it means from the factory. Units are still available to buy from dealers if you order them now. Can't say how long that is the case, though...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is this the price without linear PSU?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Sure.

BTW, a post in the ASR forum needs a reply that I won't post there. Quote:

> I would want to see what this is before I pay for anything. If you got a pre-inflation ADI-2 pro fsr be, how much more will you get for an extra K? This limited run may be just a sales trick <

So here goes:

Differences ADI-2 Pro to ADI-2/4 Pro - Brief Overview

Extended and improved RefLevel structure: +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu, +24 dBu
Same RefLevels on Phones Outputs as 3 power states: IEM (+1 dBu), Low Power (+7 dBu), High Power (+19 dBu)
Independent RefLevels for Line Out 1/2 and Phones Out 1/2

Phones Output Power raised to 2.1 W unbalanced and 3.4 Watt balanced, 32 Ohm
New True Balanced Phones output scheme
Therefore Balanced Phones output independent from Line Out 1/2, full use at the same time
Added menu page for configuration of Phones 1/2
Dual Volume control now also available in balanced phones mode
Pentaconn connector for ease of use

Input impedance unbalanced raised to 45k - > compatible to Moving Magnet cartridges
Input impedance balanced raised to 90k - > ideal for measurements

Improved input stage, no added distortion even at lowest RefLevel that needs amplification

ADC: Selected ES9822Pro for lowest THD, highest THD+N and SNR
AD measurement bandwidth flat up to 200 kHz
AD filters selectable even at 384 kHz sample rate

DA frequency response expanded from 110 kHz to 350 kHz
DA filters selectable even at 768 kHz sample rate
De-Emphasis available even with NOS selected
New output stage delivers full SNR even at low RefLevel +1 dBu

Rear TRS outputs can be switched from 1/2 to 3/4
Trigger Out to control power amps etc

Full MM cartridge support: RIAA EQ and various gains included
Special feature Bass Mono to reduce rumble and groove noise

Comes with new, semi-grounded 40 Watts SMPS with IEC socket
And 114 page printed manual

Enough added value for a bit more money?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

214 (edited by sinarca 2022-10-09 11:31:18)

MC wrote:

will it also be sold separately ?

MC wrote:

I am not a dealer/shop, so when I say 'sold out' it means from the factory. Units are still available to buy from dealers if you order them now. Can't say how long that is the case, though...

Thanks MC, I have emailed the Italian distributor, Thomann and the main sales rep, fingers crossed I can get sorted soon!

sinarca wrote:
MC wrote:

will it also be sold separately ?

Of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Sure.

Thanks for confirmation, guessed it already.

MC wrote:

Sure.
BTW, a post in the ASR forum needs a reply that I won't post there. Quote:

> I would want to see what this is before I pay for anything. If you got a pre-inflation ADI-2 pro fsr be, how much more will you get for an extra K? This limited run may be just a sales trick <

How lovely ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

What about fpga, DSP power and  possibilities for major future updates. If its a limited run?

This unit is based on many years of continued feature development of the ADI-2 Pro. We do NOT expect any major feature updates after release of the ADI-2/4 Pro SE, simply because right now it already does everything that it is supposed to do (bug fixes is a different story, of course).

Apart from that please note that 'limited run' does not mean one-time production. If there is high demand we will make more 'limited runs', so to say. Just don't expect it to be always and constantly available.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

This unit is based on many years of continued feature development of the ADI-2 Pro. We do NOT expect any major feature updates after release of the ADI-2/4 Pro SE, simply because right now it already does everything that it is supposed to do (bug fixes is a different story, of course).

Apart from that please note that 'limited run' does not mean one-time production. If there is high demand we will make more 'limited runs', so to say. Just don't expect it to be always and constantly available.

Thnx for reply! Im getting the picture. Improvements to ref level and multiple phone/IEM use is thrilling to say the least! Im sure Ill get this device in the not so distant future, I hope.

Crossover is the only feature I care apart from those already on the ado-2 pro.
Is it available?

Thanks for the update MC!

Do you know how many presets that can be saved on the ADI-2/4?

Thx MC for the info. Priced a tad high for my taste & I'll wait and see if street prices remain on that level. 10-15% less would be preferable.

Question: you write ADC ES9822Pro - is that both AD and DA or is the DA a different chip?

ning wrote:

Crossover is the only feature I care apart from those already on the ado-2 pro.
Is it available?

Wasn’t mentioned.

Might be an idea to implement a “Mode” that turns ADI-2/4 (and Pro) into a full fledged X-Over.

Will I be able to use the analog in with riaa eq using mc cartridges with or without something like an ortofon t20 step up transformer?

226 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-11 07:28:32)

crm wrote:

Will I be able to use the analog in with riaa eq using mc cartridges with or without something like an ortofon t20 step up transformer?

Basically yes.

The quality of the result depend on all surrounding factors:

• Cartridge impedance.
• Cartridge output level.
• Transformer load capacitance: cable + ADI-2 input should be within 100-300 pF.
Therefore selecting the correct T-20 to ADI cable length and capacitance is important, usually as short as possible.

MC transformers are very picky about that.
@MC:
We would need to know ADI-2/4’s input’s capacitance and max. gain / min. Reference Level.

I have an important question for me: how about the latency? Compared to the ADI-2 Pro, at least on pair or better?

stzhvwg wrote:

I have an important question for me: how about the latency? Compared to the ADI-2 Pro, at least on pair or better?

Which latency? Converter Latency is already extremely low.

When talking about USB latency … about which driver you speak, Windows or ASIO driver?
If you use a Windows driver (then latency also depends on, which one you use) then the signal has to go through the Windows kernel mixer and a few subsystems more.

If your application is latency critical, you need to use the RME ASIO driver, which directly accesses the hardware.
That's even quicker compared to Apple because you directly access the HW using the ASIO driver.

The latency of the RME ASIO driver is already very low and depends on the ASIO buffer settings.

Could you kindly tell your use case and why you think the “latency” is not low enough for you?

I uploaded the manuals German and English, available here (not yet on our website):

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi24pro_e.pdf

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi24pro_d.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you!

Skimmed the manual now. Very impressive!

Hardware spec looks amazing, especially the input part, thanks to the new chip. but the dsp does not support xover. quite disappointed.
with more processing power available, why not make it happen? (MC said no new feature will be added)

(RIAA EQ does not run in either DSP or FPGA chip anyway. so where is the 10% additional power used for?)

OK, couldn't resist, just placed an order for one with the Italian distributor! Will hopefully get one of the first batch in a few weeks.

ning wrote:

... but the dsp does not support xover. quite disappointed.
with more processing power available, why not make it happen? (MC said no new feature will be added)

One step after the other I think.

You can already do basic X-over with the PEQ’s Bands 1 + 5.

ning wrote:
ChUmI wrote:

input yes. adi-2 pro already has this feature.

I didn't know - it sounds great for using ADI-2 as measurement device. Is there any SDK or documentation how to access this setting from SW/Application - how to set the input range over USB?

Will it be also implemented to the output as well?

This one includes information for ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro and a small Windows app to try it:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/test … putref.zip

Outputs will not be controllable, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As on old ADI-2 Pro fs manual given picture as a compare of Pro vs Pro fs:

"The picture below shows such a measurement and analysis using two ADI-2 Pro and two FS, with
one as generator and one as analyser each – and no obvious sidebands that could possibly be
audible as jitter. The measurement also shows the clock improvement between Pro and Pro FS.
Note that both models show the exact same measurement when used with internal or external
clock – a typical feature of the SteadyClock technology."

What's the beef about the new ESS ADC/DAC gear big_smile

hpw wrote:

As on old ADI-2 Pro fs manual given picture as a compare of Pro vs Pro fs:

"The picture below shows such a measurement and analysis using two ADI-2 Pro and two FS, with
one as generator and one as analyser each – and no obvious sidebands that could possibly be
audible as jitter. The measurement also shows the clock improvement between Pro and Pro FS.
Note that both models show the exact same measurement when used with internal or external
clock – a typical feature of the SteadyClock technology."

What's the beef about the new ESS ADC/DAC gear big_smile

Greater bandwith?

239 (edited by mwilson 2022-10-17 16:23:18)

Is this going to become available in the US? If so, any dealer that I should look into? Very happy with my ADI-2 pro fs be, but could use the extra independent outputs.

I looked at Thomann but alas they don't deliver here.

KaiS wrote:

Could you provide any detail, or a link, on how to do this, please?

241 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-18 07:39:27)

Everydayineveryway wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Here‘s a comprehensive and detailed explanation how to do X-over, with ADI-2 Pro, and even DAC:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 12#p155312

The very short version for ADI-2 Pro:

• Connect Sub or lower speakers to output 3/4, Main or higher speakers to output 1/2.
• Use 3/4’s EQ band1: LowPassFilter to set low channel X-over.
• Use 1/2’s EQ band1: HighPassFilter to set high channel X-over.

Usually you need some overlap for best transition, and high channel can benefit from Phase Invert.
Filter Q-factor can be used to set the transition steepness, Q = 0.5 approaches Linkwitz-Riley.

Info page is up on the website now:

https://rme-audio.com/adi-2-4-pro-se.html

KaiS wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Here‘s a comprehensive and detailed explanation how to do X-over, with ADI-2 Pro, and even DAC:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 12#p155312

The very short version for ADI-2 Pro:

• Connect Sub or lower speakers to output 3/4, Main or higher speakers to output 1/2.
• Use 3/4’s EQ band1: LowPassFilter to set low channel X-over.
• Use 1/2’s EQ band1: HighPassFilter to set high channel X-over.

Usually you need some overlap for best transition, and high channel can benefit from Phase Invert.
Filter Q-factor can be used to set the transition steepness, Q = 0.5 approaches Linkwitz-Riley.

Thank you very much!

I didn’t realise that, on the Pro, 1/2 and 3/4 could output separate EQ curves simultaneously. So it seems that, despite that it’s for home use, the Pro might suit my needs better than the DAC? It’s a little different when trying to integrate some of the connections to consumer gear through, I think (coax spdif for example)?

Any news by when the new external power supply will be available?
Is the new 40W power supply of the ADI-2/4 also available separately?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

245 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-19 20:20:31)

I didn’t realise that, on the Pro, 1/2 and 3/4 could output separate EQ curves simultaneously. So it seems that, despite that it’s for home use, the Pro might suit my needs better than the DAC? It’s a little different when trying to integrate some of the connections to consumer gear through, I think (coax spdif for example)?

It boils down to how much connectivity your setup needs.

E.g,
DAC does not have digital outs.
2-way X-Over is limited to Pro and 2/4 Pro.

KaiS wrote:

E.g,

Thanks again.

I was thinking more of the inconvenience of proprietary cables required for coax digital/aes input on the Pro. However I think this might be a small downside for all the upsides of the Pro!

KaiS wrote:

E.g,

Thanks again.

I was thinking more of the inconvenience of proprietary cables required for coax digital/aes input on the Pro. However I think this might be a small downside for all the upsides of the Pro!

What proprietary cables? You can use standard spdif coax cables. Or XLR cables for aes

artburda wrote:
KaiS wrote:

E.g,

Thanks again.

What proprietary cables? You can use standard spdif coax cables. Or XLR cables for aes

Really? I thought an spdif/aes to d-sub 9-pin adapter (proprietary) was required in order to be able to use the standard cables with the pro models?

249 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-20 15:49:37)

artburda wrote:

Thanks again.

Really? I thought an spdif/aes to d-sub 9-pin adapter (proprietary) was required in order to be able to use the standard cables with the pro models?

The D-Sub breakout adapter is supplied with ADI-2 Pro.
It takes standard cables.

For distances <5 m any fitting cable will do, no need for 110 Ohm AES, or 75 Ohm SPDIF cable.

KaiS wrote:
artburda wrote:

The D-Sub breakout adapter is supplied with ADI-2 Pro.
It takes standard cables.

For distances <5 m any fitting cable will do, no need for 110 Ohm AES, or 75 Ohm SPDIF cable.

Some guy here did an experiment with bare copper mono wire for spdif. NP! big_smile