1 (edited by Selva 2023-01-22 17:25:24)

Topic: UCX 2 Reverb issue

I found strange artifacts in the reverb work. It seems as if the gain level increases for the duration of the effect, which decreases again when the reverb tail ends. Also, a strange "jet" sound is added. I tried to record a sound through a loopback, according to the lesson from the official rme videos.  Example of recording added to google disk with link below.

Example recorded with the reverb "attack" type. Issue audible with all other types of reverb on different effect volume levels and different levels of Send FX fader.  On "space" type  of reverb i can`t hear this problem even  with effect volume of 6db.

Total mix fx version 1.78
Is dsp module in my unit broken?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18f63ot … sp=sharing

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-22 23:40:34)

Re: UCX 2 Reverb issue

waedi wrote:

The reverb and the echo effects of TotalmixFX are produced by your computer, not from the DSP of your interface.

No, this is only the case on Babyface pro (FS). The UCX II has enough DSP power for processing all the effects internally.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

My PC have enough power to process  heavy plugins. That's not a cause. in audio example just about 15% of dsp power used

Selva wrote:

My PC have enough power to process  heavy plugins. That's not a cause. in audio example just about 15% of dsp power used

Again: on the UCX II, the effects are processed on the internal DSP chip, so the PC's power is irrelevant.

5 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-23 10:45:18)

UPDATE / EDIT:
It was easy to reproduce the 'issue', although using a software electric piano instead of a real guitar and a Babyface pro instead of an UCX II. Reverb preset type 'attack' - higher values on most of the parameter knobs. It's simply the algorithm. As soon the volume (in the reverb section) is lowered (not higher than 0.0) it sounds ok.

ORIGINAL REPLY:
Some questions:
- do you also have dynamics activated?
- have you tried other sounds than guitar?
- is the issue independent of what instrument input you use?
- I’m not sure how exactly you did the recording: I guess instrument hardware input directly routed to a hardware output with loopback activated, then recorded the corresponding input?

Listening to your samples, I can hear the 'reverb jet' exactly reacting to what you play. It’s not like a distortion, let’s say caused through a hardware failure, sounding always the same (awful) way independent of the original sounds.