Topic: Logic Pro 10.7.3 stutters with Monterey

Hi Guys,

Recently I got my new Macbook Pro M1 with Monterey. And weird enough my Logic Pro was stuttering when starting the track.
Also the background music(in this case youtube) stuttered as well. I went on investigation and found out that it is my RME 802 causing the problem. Because when I change my output device to Macbook Pro speakers In Logic. the stutter is immediately gone. Only when I use Logic in Rosetta, there is no stuttering when playing the project. Is there something to fix this?

Thanks!

Re: Logic Pro 10.7.3 stutters with Monterey

Bump

I have the same problem. MacStudio M1 Max with Monterey and Fireface 802. Rosetta works better as well.

Same here. Macbook Pro M1 Max, Monterey 12.4 and Fireface UC, newest Logic Pro. It is not possible to work with Logic in native mode without Rosetta. Even Digicheck ist stuttering. Unfortunately the only solution for me was to buy a different audio interface that works perfectly fine for one fifth of the price. Logic in rosetta mode is not an option for me for performance reasons, especially multithreaded performance.

5 (edited by strangedays 2022-06-26 21:03:15)

Basically RME cannot be bothered to sort out the drivers in the new macs. It's been ongoing support headaches since M1.  I've noticed they don't seem to acknowledge it.   They have had plenty of time to get this right.

DHama wrote:

Same here. Macbook Pro M1 Max, Monterey 12.4 and Fireface UC, newest Logic Pro. It is not possible to work with Logic in native mode without Rosetta.

Logic has been ported long ago and runs natrive without Rosetta. Maybe you have some plug-ins that require Rosetta? We dfo have new M1 systems and do a lot of load tests with Loigic, and have not seen it 'stuttering' unless it is overloaded from plug-ins.

Also you did not tell us what driver you use - the old 3.27 or the newer 4.04?

DHama wrote:

Even Digicheck ist stuttering

Unclear statement as you did not explain exactly what the main issue is. If the audio stutters then (obviously) DC's visualization of the audio will show the same. If audio is ok and only the graphic output of DC 'stutters' (no smooth elvel meters) then this is something different.

DHama wrote:

Unfortunately the only solution for me was to buy a different audio interface that works perfectly fine for one fifth of the price.

Is that an interface that runs in class compliant mode, without drivers?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Logic has been ported long ago and runs natrive without Rosetta. Maybe you have some plug-ins that require Rosetta? We dfo have new M1 systems and do a lot of load tests with Loigic, and have not seen it 'stuttering' unless it is overloaded from plug-ins.
Also you did not tell us what driver you use - the old 3.27 or the newer 4.04?

The driver is 4.02.

Logic runs fine natively with the other interface. I do have a few plugins that require rosetta, that does not seem to cause any problems even with native ARM Logic. I tested some logic sessions with stock plugins only with the same 'stuttering/looping' with the UC. I also made A/B comparison tests with several logic sessions testing both interfaces one after the other on the same session.

I don't think it is related to cpu usage in the conventional way because in that case playback would just stop (or playing distorted audio sometimes). In my case it keeps repeating a very small part of the session, like a mini-loop. I have a screenrecording i could send to you if that would help to understand the behaviour. And it keeps playing back that small loop until i stop it. It is very different to a normal cpu-overload. It seems to be triggered more easily on bigger sessions.

Unclear statement as you did not explain exactly what the main issue is. If the audio stutters then (obviously) DC's visualization of the audio will show the same. If audio is ok and only the graphic output of DC 'stutters' (no smooth elvel meters) then this is something different.

In my case with a cpu overload logic would just stop playback. I never had that kind of freeze in DC with a cpu overload, the bars would just fall down smooth normally.

Is that an interface that runs in class compliant mode, without drivers?

Yes. There is software for monitoring, but i don't think it qualifies for a driver. It still works without it.

8 (edited by gonziak 2022-10-03 21:48:58)

Same here BF pro fs. no problem with other interfaces. https://youtu.be/JWENdifIjY4

gonziak wrote:

Same here BF pro fs. no problem with other interfaces. https://youtu.be/JWENdifIjY4

I have the same problem with Babyface pro fs with driver version 3.28 , which is the latest version. I cannot use the interface without putting Logic into Rosetta mode! There is no problem when i connect another interface or connect to the internal interface of the macbook pro (14" with M1 Pro & 16gb memory) Request the concerned people at RME to please solve the issue!

Thanks

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

I am not sure I understand the issue. You were able to install the driver without Rosetta, but need Rosetta enabled when using Logic? That would point to a plugin or something else that needs Rosetta, not our driver. Please clarify.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I am not sure I understand the issue. You were able to install the driver without Rosetta, but need Rosetta enabled when using Logic? That would point to a plugin or something else that needs Rosetta, not our driver. Please clarify.

Hi, The problem happens only when I use Logic Pro X with my BF Pro FS in Native mode. If I switch to another interface or the Mac's internal interface the problem stops completely. When logic is used in rosetta mode the session opens fine with my RME interface. This points to a driver issue which is causing the playback to stutter like mentioned by many in the above comments when Logic is running in native mode. I have tried with Logic's internal plugins or with plugins that run natively but the problem persists on the RME interface. No issues when used with another interface!

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

Bump

13 (edited by waedi 2022-12-21 02:03:22)

soundpotion wrote:

Bump

Have you updated your system ?

From Monterey to Ventura ( Just in case, Logic TNT versions no longer run under Ventura ! )
From Logic 10.7.3 to 10.7.6
From RME driver 3.28 to 4.06

Is there other software running like OBS or AudioHijack ?

Also try : Switch off Bluetooth

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

14 (edited by soundpotion 2022-12-22 08:39:46)

waedi wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

Bump

Have you updated your system ?

From Monterey to Ventura ( Just in case, Logic TNT versions no longer run under Ventura ! )

From Logic 10.7.3 to 10.7.6

From RME driver 3.28 to 4.06

Is there other software running like OBS or AudioHijack ?

Also try : Switch off Bluetooth

Yes, tried the first 2 suggestions

Updated to the 4.06 beta version of the RME driver

Bluetooth is off

and I'm not running Audiojack or OBS

The problem is actually worse!

The same session runs smoothly with my Fireface 800

Do we have any solutions for this yet?

No, not that I can tell. As I mentioned in another post, I’ve been dealing with Apple support for over a year. RME claims it has nothing to do with them, and I’m not sure they’re wrong. My BFP FS works just fine with Studio One, on the same MacBook M1, so it’s hard to point the finger at the interface.

And no, it’s not the plugins, already. I’ve gone through that exercise with support. It was a waste of time. I use the same plugins: all native, all premium, and all functional, in Studio One without an issue. It is only when Logic is loaded that the whole thing falls apart. I have also tried a Focusrite Interface (which happens to be driverless) and found it works just fine with Logic.

So, the issue appears to be Logic’s apparent distaste for RME’s drivers. Not sure that’s gonna get sorted any time soon. If someone has stumbled on a solution … please, speak up.

Your Babyface Pro is 'driverless' as well, just use it in CC mode. No TotalMix then, of course.  It would sure be interesting to see if Logic then behaves well...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No, CC mode is not the answer. In fact, in talking to RME support, they were adamant that CC mode was only for IOS, and such, and not for OSX. They insisted their drivers were optimized to run on the OSX platform, and they aren’t wrong. BFP works flawlessly with everything else. I use Studio One as well, and the interface indicates none of the behaviour that is evident with Logic. As an audio source, I’ve not encountered a single problem with incorporating the BFP into my MacBook workflow - except for Logic.

Oh, and as an aside, I used the interface briefly on my old IMac before purchasing the MacBook Pro, and it functioned perfectly with Logic. The only issue at that time was the iMac’s limited resources with large sessions, hence the MacBook upgrade. That hasn’t worked out so well.

drefue wrote:

No, CC mode is not the answer.

I think that, when you get the suggestion to try CC mode from the founder of RME, perhaps you should at least consider taking his advice ;-)

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Dear Mr. Carstens, hello all

unfortunately I have the same problem listed here. Logic Pro X 10.7.7 stutters during playback. After contacting RME support, I was advised to change the USB port on the Mac Studio M1 Max, but that didn't fix the problem. Running the Babyface in CC mode didn't help either.

Babyface vs. Logic Pro X (native mode) stuttering problem with the following configuration:

Mac Studio (2022)
Chip: Apple M1 Max
Memory: 32 GB

macOS Monterey version 12.6.3

Logic Pro X version 10.7.7

Babyface Firmware: v226 / Driver: v4.06 beta

Please help, thank you

Update:

It runs smoother with the following Logic Pro X audio settings:

Processing threads: Automatic (Recommended), before it was 10 (8 high performance cores)

Processing Buffer: Small, before it was Large

Multithreading: Playback & Live Tracks. before it was only Playback

Changing the multithreading setting has produced the most noticeable difference!

Further information about the multithreading function: (maybe helpful for the problem solution)

You can use multithreading to affect how Logic distributes the DSP load when a software instrument track stack is selected for live input or when multiple audio tracks are enabled for recording.

The Playback setting reproduces the behavior of earlier versions of Logic. When a track stack is selected for live input, or when multiple audio tracks are recorded, all of the DSP required for the input is processed by one processing thread-and thus by one available core on the computer.

The Playback and Live Tracks setting distributes the load across multiple threads when a track stack is selected that contains multiple software instrument channel strips, or when more than one audio track is being recorded. If the computer has enough cores and there are no other DSP demands on the computer, each live channel strip can be processed by a different core.

With the Playback and Live Tracks option, the system may be a bit more stressed. So if you don't have live tracks with high demands, track playback may be a better choice.

timroyko wrote:

Dear Mr. Carstens, hello all

unfortunately I have the same problem listed here. Logic Pro X 10.7.7 stutters during playback. After contacting RME support, I was advised to change the USB port on the Mac Studio M1 Max, but that didn't fix the problem. Running the Babyface in CC mode didn't help either.

Babyface vs. Logic Pro X (native mode) stuttering problem with the following configuration:

Mac Studio (2022)
Chip: Apple M1 Max
Memory: 32 GB

macOS Monterey version 12.6.3

Logic Pro X version 10.7.7

Babyface Firmware: v226 / Driver: v4.06 beta

Please help, thank you

Is there any difference when you run Logic in Rosetta mode:
https://support.ujam.com/hc/en-us/artic … g-Rosetta-

Regards,
Audio AG Support

23 (edited by aamicarelli 2023-09-29 14:55:51)

Has anyone found a solution to this? I get the repeated stuttering playback head where it keeps jumping backwards. This happens on moderate sessions so I know the system is by no means fully taxed. This does not happen in the same session with a cheap alternate interface. Now, if I stop all activity in Logic and let the session sit for 20-30 seconds it appears to not have an issue upon hitting play, however, if I quickly jump to another point in the song it will always begin having a stuttering playback head. I am running the latest kernel extension driver with the following:

Babyface Pro FS with kernel extension driver Version 3.28B (2)
Mac Studio M1 Max
macOS Monterey 12.6.3
Logic 10.7.9

Does the driver kit do this as well? I was thinking of giving that a try but read that has its own set of issues. This stuttering is very annoying and really hinders work flow.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Andrew

24 (edited by waedi 2023-09-29 17:39:38)

Hi Andrew

Some users reported upgrade MacOS to Sonoma solved stuttering and glitches.
Another reported setting the buffer size low did better than large buffer...try 64

25 (edited by aamicarelli 2023-09-29 18:05:35)

waedi wrote:

Hi Andrew

Some users reported upgrade MacOS to Sonoma solved stuttering and glitches.
Another reported setting the buffer size low did better than large buffer...try 64

Thanks for the reply. Upgrading the macOS is not an option at this time as I have my software running very smoothly and not willing to risk it. The suggestions you made and those in timroyko’s post actually helped quite a bit. So strange the lower buffer size helped (I tested this isolated and it does help with just the lower buffer size). This makes me think there is an optimization issue between the current drivers and Logic and/or M1/2 architecture.

One of the reasons I switched over to RME was due to their reputation of a history of solid drivers and driver support. I hope this continues moving forward and that they optimize the drivers for Logic and the M1/2 architecture. I understand Apple makes changes that can be difficult for software/hardware developers but unfortunately companies have to play by Apple’s rules if they want to keep that market share.

26 (edited by waedi 2023-09-29 19:28:05)

About the system upgrade I can report my experience with this computer hobby home-use MacbookAirM1
Total overfilled with all software possible all kind of crack and demo versions, all available plugins and all Adobes.
DAWs CAD drawing video editing Adblocker everything running at the same time.
Upgrade from Monterey to Ventura - no issue
Upgrade from Ventura to Sonoma - no issue , some programs run even bettter now.
I can do what I want the machine doesn't go down to the knees.
Apple is improving the core-audio system ongoing,
If you want to have zero risk then make a backup of the entire HD of your computer, nothing to lose.
Make a bootable backup onto a Usb-stick and boot from it to check if it works, the proceed with the upgrade...

waedi wrote:

About the system upgrade I can report my experience with this computer hobby home-use MacbookAirM1
Total overfilled with all software possible all kind of crack and demo versions, all available plugins and all Adobes.
If you want to have zero risk then make a backup of the entire HD of your computer, nothing to lose.
Make a bootable backup onto a Usb-stick and boot from it to check if it works, the proceed with the upgrade...

Good post! Maybe you remember some months ago I once described my 'stress test' on a Mac mini M1. At least fifteen apps active, playing music and rendering videos, browser with YouTube and several other tabs open, changing sample rates and what do I know further... there was one single short moment only when the Mac failed to play the 'empty trash' system sound and the played music had a tiny hiccup. Beside that I had no chance to provoke the Mac to show real problems.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

waedi wrote:

I'm glad this worked for you, however, there are known issues with Native Instruments and Plugin Alliance software on newer macOS systems which would potentially cause issues.

The main issue of the driver not playing well with Logic on M1/2 machines is the bottom line here and I hope they are able to figure this out sooner than later.

Guitar Rig 7
Reaktor 6
Absynth 5
Battery 4
Kontakt 7
Massive X
These NIs all AUs no issue.
Plugin Alliance I can't say. Not sure if I have something from them.
M1 and M2 are well established and all plugin makers have plugin versions updated for this.
RME has a new driver 409 for Sonoma
Up to you waiting for a driver-update for an outdated computer system.

Is 409 just for Sonoma? Where can that be found? The latest listed on the website is 408

31 (edited by waedi 2023-09-30 02:28:42)

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 63#p208363

It's here in the forum, usually here is first place of publishing and short time after transferred into the official product webpage.
Kind of a beta test for quality - clever !

It's not only for Sonoma, the readme says it's for MacOS 11 and up.
It was released almost at the same day (1 day after) as Apple released the official Sonoma upgrade (after the beta time where RME did work on it. ) timing like a Swiss clock !