1 (edited by Max 2023-12-30 02:18:32)

Topic: RME Connector - control 12Mic, 12Mic-D and AVB Tool via network&MIDI

UPDATE: RME Connector is now released.

This free app is technically a new major release of the "RME MIDI Remote AVB", but adds control via network and control for the 12Mic-D - two reasons to change the name.

A screenshot of RME Connector application

For users that previously used the "RME MIDI Remote AVB", your settings will be imported at first startup. You get a couple of new features:

Devices can now be controlled via network connection

This is based on the same protocols that the web frontend uses, and therefore it does not require a wired (or AVB) network. Just plug in a WiFi router to the device, connect to the WiFi and RME Connector will discover all 12Mics, 12Mic-Ds and AVB Tools that are present. Since control over network comes with much higher bandwidth than MIDI, you can control more features of the device and more will be added in future.

Note: devices in RME Connector are either MIDI devices or network controlled devices - not both. So if you already have a number of MIDI devices set up, those will be discovered and added as network controlled devices in addition to the MIDI devices. Of course a device can be controlled via MIDI and network at the same time - you will simply see two devices, one for MIDI and one for network.

Improved gain group features

Creating a gain group on a physical 12Mic device is a great experience - just hold down the channel button next to the first XLR input connector and press the one next to the last input connector - done. The remote experience now comes with the same convenience - just click and drag over any number of gain pots in group mode (shortcut key: 'g')

Also, we added the often requested global "ungroup" mode which lets you adjust individual channels without deleting their gain group.

Native Apple Silicon support

Users of M1 or M2 Macs can now run the app natively, without emulation. Faster startup and even better performance!

Update check

Most apps nowadays download updates automatically in the background. For DAWs, we deemed this to be a bit problematic because in some cases, you might be on networks that you don’t want to use for downloading new app versions. RME Connector allows you to opt-in for (beta or release) update checks, and if an update is found, the app asks if it should be downloaded (and again if it should be installed immediately or with the next restart).

For all the 12Mic-D users out there - thank you for your patience. You wanted MIDI control for the use case that you are using the 12Mic-D with MADI, which appears to be more popular than we had originally anticipated.

Added support for 12Mic-D

Please install the following firmware, restart the device, configure the MIDI Input, Output and device ID on the device (STATE > Remote > MIDI) and you will get both: control several 12Mic-Ds via MIDI and/or network from the RME Connector application.

RME Connector Downloads
Windows 10/11
macOS (Apple Silicon)
macOS (Apple Intel 10.15 or higher)

12Mic-D firmware with support for MIDI over MADI
Firmware 1.2.0

Release 2.0.0:
(compared to Beta 16)
- improvements to device discovery
- a clear indication of whether a device instance is controlled via MIDI or network
- compatibility improvements when using Octamic XTC as MIDI interface
- default channel names for 12Mic/AVB Tool now follow the web/GUI interfaces (Mic 1 etc.)
- minor graphics improvements

Re: RME Connector - control 12Mic, 12Mic-D and AVB Tool via network&MIDI

Wow cool.
Configuration from old tool, has been detected as you mentioned, very nice indeed.

I could add the 12Mic, which I am monitoring through MIDI over MADI, a 2nd time as an IP device.
But the device is not being shown as online, doesn't work.
Accessing the 12Mic through Internet browser works ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jckbjxdc9fwljyv/2023-05-15-RME%20Connector.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Wow fantastic!

I installed this and was able to directly control my 12Mic (non-Dante) using firmware fw_xm_1.6.2_v165 12mic 20230418-12H34M as an IP connected device, on my M1 Mac Studio.

Apple Mac Studio Max 64gb RAM, Ventura, RME UFX III, 12Mic, Pulse 16 MX, Studio One 6

2 issues:

1. After the installation of RME connector the old program MIDI Remote AVB is not working anymore, can't be started up.

I reinstalled my backup from 14.05.23, after that I could execute MIDI Remote AVB again.
Then I again installed RME Connector, started it up for a test and then quit the application.
Same issue again, MIDI Remote AVB can't be started.

When looking to
- the installation folder, then both programs are still visible
- Windows Programs and Features, then I see, that both applications are still installed

And I personally would welcome, that both applications can co-exist, as RME connector still has issues on my PC.

2. Problem is, after 2 minutes RME Connector stops working, then I can access 12Mic only via MIDI over MADI.
I can see on my Windows Gadget that the communication completely stops, after 2 min no network activity anymore.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi ramses,

1) no need to worry - previously working MIDI features were not touched. The "beta" state only refers to the 12Mic-D and IP control, not to the previously existing MIDI functionality. If I understand correctly, the issue you are facing is related to the IP based remote control, but it should not affect the usability of the software. But I will look into it and check if we can provide a workaround or fix for that.

2) that is very surprising - we have not been able to reproduce this behavior.
Is there someone else having this problem of unstable connection?

Maybe misunderstanding regarding point 1. Once you install RME connector, then MIDI remote AVB is not working anymore, no matter whether RME connector is running or not.

7 (edited by Max 2023-05-18 12:10:01)

We found out what caused the problems co-existing with the old MIDI Remote AVB and it has been addressed in beta 12.
Beta 11 was installed into the same directory as the previous MIDI Remote AVB, and therefore that app stopped working. This did not affect the user preferences and configuration, those were stored in separate paths - only the executable files.

For ramses - if you have re-installed MIDI Remote AVB from a backup, you can now install beta 12 (either for the current user, which does not require admin privileges, or for all Windows users) and use both apps in parallel.]

Due to a change of the installation directory, it is necessary to first uninstall the previous beta version manually.

8 (edited by ramses 2023-05-18 21:27:28)

Many thanks will try.

Thanks for fixing install dir issue. Both applications can work now.

Still the issue, that I am loosing network connectivity after 2 minutes.

This has been fixed in Beta 14.

11 (edited by ramses 2023-05-26 06:56:56)

Max wrote:

This has been fixed in Beta 14.

Yes, many thanks Max, very well done :-)

The level Meters for Phones out are not working
Beta 14

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Too late wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

How about supporting MICSTASY?

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Beta 15
- fixes the output level meters and adds Peak(hold, if set) bars to the web level meters (IP devices) (thx Cigame - we knew wink)
- frame rate has been adjusted for smoother level meters
- a settings dialog has been added with a clear explanation what "invert scroll direction" does (kudos to Ramses for bringing that up)

There is no more option for selecting midi connections when using midi over Madi in beta 15.
Or did I overlook something?

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

You will find them in the settings dialog.

18 (edited by ramses 2023-06-24 18:56:07)

Beta 15 introduces three bugs

1. MIDI input device is not being written to preferences file

2. after writing the proper config to the file it works, but not after startup

3. removing and re-adding of devices deletes the config of the devices: changes in preset names and I also think presets and snapshots. How to repeat: add devices, change preset name and change preset. Remove device, quit, re-add device, you see the default preset names, not your custom names.

A possibility to backup devices, presets, snapshots - comparable to a TM FX workspace file - seems to be missing.

1&2 has been addressed in Beta 16, thank you for testing&reporting!

3. is not a bug and it has been like that from the beginning of the MIDI Remote AVB: snapshots are not bound to a specific device, simply because devices do not share a unique ID (such as serial number) over MIDI. After all, snapshots should not get lost when the MIDI ID changes. But you are right that you should be warned and given the option to save the current setup when you delete the devices.

cigame wrote:

How about supporting MICSTASY?

+1

And also ADI8QS with full routing would be nice

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Is there any documentation for this application?

I have a UFX+, an Octamic XTC, and a 12mic. The old app worked fine for the 12mic and XTC, but I would like to use network control for the reasons given in Max's OP.

I connected the 12mic to my computer by a Cat6 cable. This didn't work. Neither RME Connector nor the Web Remote could connect to my 12mic. How do I connect the 12mic properly to use the RME Connector (I prefer not to use wireless)?

I went back to a USB connection from the 12mic to my computer and everything works. The app says the XTC is offline, but the controls definitely work.

I know I could probably figure this out in time, but some instructions could save a lot of time.

vanceen wrote:

I connected the 12mic to my computer by a Cat6 cable. This didn't work. Neither RME Connector nor the Web Remote could connect to my 12mic. How do I connect the 12mic properly to use the RME Connector (I prefer not to use wireless)?

Hi Vanceen,

if the LEDs at the network port of the 12Mic (with current firmware!) show activity, and within its menu STATE>Remote>HTTP Remote is toggled to "on", it is up to the operating system (and its network filters/firewall rules) to prevent RME Connector's automatic discovery of the attached device.

You could then check in the same menu of the 12Mic that an IP address has been assigned correctly and enter this address manually in your preferred browser to ensure that the connection is indeed working and the Web Remote can be accessed. If that is the case (communication via IP address works, but auto discovery of RME Connector does not work), please post your OS details (Windows or macOS version etc.).

-Max

Thanks. I'll try it and report back.

It worked. Thanks.

I spoke too soon. It seemed to work fine at first, but when I opened it again, it didn't work.

I'm using Windows 11 build 22621. I'm using Chrome as a browser, but I tried Microsoft Edge as well.

The network port on the 12mic flashed, and the network port on my computer also showed activity. However, when I opened a 12mic instance in RME Connector by selecting it under the "IP" icon, it showed as Not Connected. I was also unable to get a connection through Web Remote on Chrome or Edge.

I confirmed on the 12mic that HTTP Remote was On. I checked the primary and secondary IP settings, and both were on DHCP. I tried a static connection connection, and the 12mic assigned 172.2.2.0, with a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0. My browsers couldn't connect. I tried changing to 172.20.0.1, which is the address the 12mic Web Remote uses, also with no luck.

I used to be able to connect with the Web Remote without changing from DHCP using a USB connection, but now I can no long connect using USB. Remote Connector works fine with USB for both my 12mic and my Octamic XTC.

This is puzzling, and any advice would be appreciated. I don't really mind using USB, but it would be conventient in some ways to use a network connection (one less USB device to plug in, reportedly faster response.).

Hi Vanceen,
this seems to be unrelated to RME Connector. Also, you do not have to change the DHCP setting - the 12Mic will use an address that starts with 169.254... if there is no DHCP server, and it is shown on the 12Mic after it was assigned. Have you tried disconnecting USB and using the device name in the browser's address bar (as described in the manual) to reach the device over network? If that does not work, please open a separate thread.
Max

Just an update to inform everyone who is subscribed that we have released version 2 of RME Connector.

28 (edited by ramses 2023-12-30 10:06:44)

Many thanks Max. Update installation went smoothly.

A question whether this is normal.

1. The display via IP also seems to react somewhat slower.

2. I see a difference in the display of the RMS level on the 12Mic, depending on whether you access the 12Mic via MADI or via network. The bar of the peak display is at the same level. However, there are differences in the display of the RMS level.

The difference at low volume:
- top row via MADI: you can see a green (I think this is a RMS bar), green filled up to the peak bar.
- bottom row: same peak level but no RMS bar.
The scale of the level meters looks the same. Can you explain the difference?

In the next posting you see the same at higher levels, there you see in the Peak Bar no level difference.
But the RMS bar via Network (bottom) is -10 dB lower.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/va66fzmsebn0wtsmpjj3c/2023-12-30-Difference-RMS-Level-Low-Volume.jpg?rlkey=d1xoz1vdaagm8shyvzbcp4nfb&dl=1

At higher level you see a difference of -10 dB

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/tmh1sj5ktjoli88nmyn4a/2023-12-30-Difference-RMS-Level-Higer-Level.jpg?rlkey=g25m8202jydp5pigwn1q1vymt&dl=1

Hi Ramses,

yes, that is normal.
TL;DR: only peak levels are received via MIDI.

You can observe a similar phenomenon when you use an Octamic XTC and compare the TotalMix value to the MIDI Remote value. TotalMix shows Peak and RMS values, but the MIDI Remote shows only the peak value. Users would guess that MIDI Remote shows peak levels from the fact that it is an A/D converter (avoid clipping under all circumstances) and that there is only one level bar. Peak metering is a useful default.

Here's an example of a single pulse:
https://dl.rme.to/img/230104dirac.png

The bandwidth in MIDI is not sufficient to transport both peak and RMS levels. It is not even sufficient to transport peak levels for the analog I/O with a fine granularity - the devices (including XTC) send 0 to -6 dBFS in 0.2 dB steps, -6 dBFS to -42 dBFS in 0.5 dB steps, and -43 dBFS to -64 dB in 1 dB steps. Also, since several devices in a MADI loop use the same MIDI port, the refresh rate for increasing levels will become slower when you add more devices controlled over the MIDI port. No peak hold levels over MIDI either.
Using network, there are no limits - RMS, Peak, and Peak Hold levels are received with 0.1 dB granularity and much more frequent (always faster than screen refresh rate).

So what does the MIDI level meter actually show? We decided to hold peak by default for a couple of seconds (the same behavior can be activated for network level meters if you adjust peak hold to 'auto' in the visual settings menu), and let the green/yellow gradient bar fall with a release time of about 10 dB/s without hold (so it begins decreasing first). You can configure a similar peak meter in DigiCheck (by default, it falls a bit faster and has a shorter peak hold).

Admittedly, this co-existence of Peak/RMS and PeakHold/Peak level meter can be confusing, especially if you control the same device via MADI and network at the same time. We could use different colors or add additional labels to show that it is a peak level meter, or not show the top peak bar at all. All of that seemed unsatisfactory in practical use. The overall aim was to have level meters well suited for adjusting the gain remotely via MIDI (as before), and then bring full TotalMix-style level meters for networked devices.

I hope this answers your question! By the way, this might also have lead to your previous impression that the level meters seemed 'slower' over network. They are not; actually they are faster, and they show RMS levels instead of a falling peak level.

Max

Good thing I looked again, my answer somehow got lost in nirvana, maybe reboot from the computer.
Thanks for the detailed answer, that makes everything clearer, then I will only use the IP/LAN instance for the 12Mic.
Best regards...

Tested controlling four Octamic XTCs over MIDI using RME Connector 2.0.0 on a MacBook Pro M1. I am continually impressed how your software releases improve the user experience, even with older devices. No other company does that. It worked fine, until...

Resizing the window triggers MIDI interference from within RME Connector?

We are familiar with MIDI interference between TotalMix FX and MIDI Remote; it's brutal, as the devices go crazy. We have a strict "No MIDI Remote" policy during live events and recording sessions. We noticed the RME Connector detects MIDI interference, which is an improvement over MIDI Remote. It worked fine running by itself, until we resized the window. Dragging the window corner triggered MIDI interference (seemingly from within RME Connector?), a warning displayed, and the OctaMics went crazy. It stops when you stop resizing the window?

Little Mountain Music
MacOS 14.3.1, MADIface XT, 4 x OctaMic XTC, M-32 DA

33 (edited by ramses 2024-01-15 21:01:47)

I am not sure whether I understood the issue correctly.
Is it known by you, that you may not use different remote control programs at the same time over the same MADI bus?

Maybe you experience such issues now because of mixing different remote control software (TM FX AUxdevice, MIDI Remote, RME Connector) on one MADI bus.

You mentioned the Octamic XTC and TotalMix FX. You may not mix remote control by using "Auxdevice" with other remote control software over the same MADI bus.

If you have a recording interface with different MADI buses, then you could connect XTC to a separate MADI bus and remote control via Auxdevice on this MADI bus dedicated for such devices.

Perhaps try to ensure to use only RME connector for XTC and all 12 Mics …. Auxdevice needs to be turned off.
It might be this brings stability to you.

I just tested RME connector 2.0.0 and I got no issue resizing the window.
The Setup:
UFX III and 12Mic and XTC on one MADI bus in series.
From RME connector application perspective:
- XTC monitored via MIDI over MADI, MADI ID 1
- 12Mic monitored over Network/LAN (higher resolution compared to access via MIDI)

Resizing of the window doesn't cause any issue with those devices connected via MADI to an UFX III.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rbl0dl05gp09u9p64i97c/2024-01-15-RME-Connector.jpg?rlkey=wfonirq0j8h5umebrdb89xr3i&dl=1

Our Octamic XTC's are controlled via MIDI over MADI through a MADIface XT, which is connected to a MacBook Pro M1 via USB3.

No other applications were running, only RME Connecter 2.0.0. It's controls worked well, and the OctaMics responded perfectly. As soon as we start to resize the RME Connector window, there is a blast of MIDI traffic, the "MIDI Port busy" warning appears on RME Connecter, and the OctaMics to crazy. It stops when you stop resizing the window. Surprised us, since no other (potentially interfering) apps were running.

Little Mountain Music

35 (edited by Potscrubber 2024-01-15 22:44:22)

carich wrote:

We are familiar with MIDI interference between TotalMix FX and MIDI Remote; it's brutal, as the devices go crazy. We have a strict "No MIDI Remote" policy during live events and recording sessions.

In addition to your reply in post 34, I would very much appreciate more detail on these earlier problems you have experienced with MIDI Remote.  For example, what remote facilities for TMFX itself you were using at the time, and how MIDI Remote 'interfered' with TMFX, and what device(s) you were controlling with MIDI Remote.

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Octamics going crazy with other midi traffic:
I know this, but I found it to not affect the devices itself. It is only visible on the remote. Isn't this correct?
Georg

37 (edited by Max 2024-01-16 08:02:23)

I cannot reproduce the behavior described in #32 (also on 14.2.1 MacBook Pro M1 with 2.0.0) either, using MADIface with kernel extension driver 3.31 from the forum and one attached XTC, controlled via MIDI over MADI. Do you have any other applications running such as Window managers or something like that? Also, if you suspect dragging itself sends MIDI commands, maybe you could tunnel the outgoing traffic through a virtual MIDI port and record this behavior?
Max

At georgob: when I connected XTC and ADI-8 QS (if I remember right) to one MADI bus of an HDSPe MADI FX and using
- remote control of XTC via TM FX (Auxdevice)
- remote control of ADI-8 QS using MIDI remote
then the XTC could not handle two different remote control protocols at the same time (via MIDI over MADI) well.
Randomly things / functions have been turned on or off on the XTC like Inst and PAD and you could hear the internal relays for such functions clicking which switching. So at least in this scenario, it issues real changes to the devices.
Not 100% sure whether also the ADI-8 QS settings were changed.

MIDI Remote and TM FX Remote can not be used at the same time, that's a general limitation. This only works with separated MIDI ports/connections.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

We were not running -any- other applications during our test, only RME Connector 2.0.0. We were using the DriverKit USB driver v4.09 rather than the kernel extension driver.

I posted <a href="https://littlemountainmusic.org/download/rme_connector_midi_interference.mp4">video</a> of the RME Connector window and a <a href="https://littlemountainmusic.org/download/rme_connector_midi_interference.txt">log</a> of the MIDI traffic during the "apparent" interference. The log shows regular status requests/responses, and as soon as you start to resize the window (at 09:55:16.563 in the log), the MADIface starts responding with malformed MIDI packets, even while RME Connector keeps sending its regular status requests.

I agree with georgeb that the OctaMics aren't actually misbehaving (since they're not receiving any crazy MIDI requests), only the UI is going crazy (since it receives malformed MIDI responses).

Little Mountain Music

Update: the problem appears only when there are two or more OctaMic XTCs in series.

Are MIDI responses from multiple device IDs being mishandled? In the MIDI traffic log I posted, one can see MIDI responses from the MADIface XT with valid-looking SysEx parameters (e.g. the Octamic XTC Model ID 0x69) appearing in the wrong places (preceded by junk?).

How this is triggered by window resizing is a mystery.

Little Mountain Music

Thank you for the detailed analysis, we will have a look into this.

The reason why this happens in version 2.0.0 is that on macOS, dragging a window can under some circumstances change the timing of outgoing poll messages. The Octamic XTC requires a static timing of incoming MIDI messages (ie. they must be spaced evenly with specific gaps). We fixed this in 2.0.1 Beta 1 for macOS (you can update from the application by activating "Check for Beta Updates"). There are no poll messages sent while dragging the window, so the device briefly appears as offline; but once you stop resizing the window, it immediately comes back online.

The Octamic XTC requires a static timing of incoming MIDI messages (ie. they must be spaced evenly with specific gaps)

@max: Is this the cause for Octamic XTCs flickering on the Remote when other Midi messages are coming though?

Georg

Thanks, that solves the problem. Suspending polling while resizing the window isn't problematic.

Little Mountain Music

Good to hear!

georgob wrote:

The Octamic XTC requires a static timing of incoming MIDI messages (ie. they must be spaced evenly with specific gaps)

@max: Is this the cause for Octamic XTCs flickering on the Remote when other Midi messages are coming though?

Georg

That might be a cause, yes. However, we expect the XTCs to not flicker (briefly display wrong settings/levels) in a daisy chain of SysEx-controlled devices without any other software attempting to use that MIDI bus.