Topic: MSI MODE (UTILITY) & Digicheck not working

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of a HDSPE AIO PRO. Unfortunately, I do not get along so well with it.
With Ableton Live, I don't have the best latency when recording with my midi keyboard. Buffer size of 128 is the minimum. Below that there are dropouts and crackles. I tried to switch to MSI mode with MSI Mode Utility. Unfortunately, the card fails completely after the change and I have to remove the hook again. Do you have any tips on how/if MSI mode works with this card or is it the motherboard (Asus z590 Apex)?

Furthermore, I have so far NOT managed to get the HIGHLY touted DIGICHECK to work.it's just too complicated to use imho.

Need urgently solid tips here. Thanks in advance.

Re: MSI MODE (UTILITY) & Digicheck not working

https://abload.de/thumb/rmedreck23cyk.jpg

hello

3 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2023-05-30 16:26:03)

Hello!

Maybe this can help?
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35838

As for Digicheck, what exactly troubles you? Did you read the manual?
Also, what are the driver and firmware versions?(numbers, please)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thx for your reply!
Hard to believe. Just updated the WDM/ASIO driver from version 4.44 to 4.45. The penultimate update is just 2 weeks old so I am just so surprised. The latest firmware is 108 according to the hdspe flash update tool so should be up to date.
Unfortunately, even under the latest driver crackles can be heard. I am currently testing with Lounge Lizard as my favorite vsti on an empty project. I mean, it actually feels a bit more stable/consistent than before but far from what I was expecting prior the purchase.

I use Ableton 11 with Windows 11 and all latest updates. 
Have also experimented with the power saving options (disabled C-States, High performance power plan etc.) but nothing really helps.

Should MSI mode work with the card or not?

Yes and the problem with Digicheck is that I find all the tutorials just not very user friendly.  I just do not understand how to set it up. (Loopback, Talkback click on the tool icon...) I'm a bit overwhelmed with it and just wish for a simple tutorial for technology amateurs with pictures for dummies :] I have to use Voxengo Span as an analyzer.
I hope i did not forget any important numbers. Thx for your help and sorry for my impatience^

Loopback and Talkback are features of TotalMix, not DIGICheck.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok. If it's so easy to set up, why can't anyone here explain how. Is this somehow a secret that I do not know yet? please let me in!

At the moment it’s simply not clear: are you talking about TotalMix or DIGICheck?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

DIGIcheck. i´d like to give it a try but no chance on setting it up

9 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-03 11:16:02)

AnoyFlod wrote:

DIGIcheck. i´d like to give it a try but no chance on setting it up

Ok! It’s still difficult to answer and help because you aren’t very specific. What does it mean when you say it doesn’t work?
Installation of the app, ok yes/no?
Starting up the app, ok yes/no?
Selecting the audio hardware, selecting the channels, selecting the instruments…
What exactly is it?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

10 (edited by ramses 2023-06-03 11:37:30)

Which DIGIcheck, the old 5.96 or the new DIGIcheck NG Beta?

What is so difficult to open "input device setup" and to select the proper driver and channels?
As a side note … With DIGIcheck NG, it's called "audio device setup".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

11 (edited by ramses 2023-06-03 11:44:01)

AnoyFlod wrote:

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of a HDSPE AIO PRO. Unfortunately, I do not get along so well with it.
With Ableton Live, I don't have the best latency when recording with my midi keyboard. Buffer size of 128 is the minimum. Below that there are dropouts and crackles. I tried to switch to MSI mode with MSI Mode Utility. Unfortunately, the card fails completely after the change and I have to remove the hook again. Do you have any tips on how/if MSI mode works with this card or is it the motherboard (Asus z590 Apex)?

Furthermore, I have so far NOT managed to get the HIGHLY touted DIGICHECK to work.it's just too complicated to use imho.

Need urgently solid tips here. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't fiddle around with MSI settings for the RME card.
There are enough other reasons why you get audio drops that have nothing to do with that.

Here a few threads that give you additional supportive information what you can or should do in terms of troubleshooting.

1st make sure that you disabled power saving for the CPU in the BIOS.
Make measuring using LatencyMon whether you can see that drivers are blocking CPU cores for too long.
Maybe try another PCIe slot where it is certain that it does not share PCIe lanes with other components.

Please see also here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 28#p200328
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 36#p196936

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

12 (edited by AnoyFlod 2023-06-09 22:00:28)

hello.
Thank you for your opinions. 
Not a big fan of disabling all power saving mechanisms, though. The benefit is not big enough for me compared to the power consumption. So I always leave it at "Balanced" and only switch to "High performance" or the "Ultimate Performance" power plan when Ableton is running if at all.
In short 48000Khz up to a buffersize of 64 samples without cracking. Below that, unfortunately, not even with deactivated C-States + "Ultimate Performance".

Yes... and on the subject of "Digicheck" so much: I just don't understand how I can "route" a sound source through it. For example the sound of my browser, an MP3 in the media player or the Ableton sound of course. It just does not work.
Anyone here with a similar workstation who can explain this under Windows 11?

Right-click into an empty analyzer tool, Input Selection, select input channel.
For your playback channel signals use Loopback in Totalmix or use Digicheck NG and add playback channels in the preferences.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

14 (edited by ramses 2023-06-10 06:52:13)

AnoyFlod wrote:

hello.
Thank you for your opinions. 
Not a big fan of disabling all power saving mechanisms, though. The benefit is not big enough for me compared to the power consumption. So I always leave it at "Balanced" and only switch to "High performance" or the "Ultimate Performance" power plan when Ableton is running if at all.
In short 48000Khz up to a buffersize of 64 samples without cracking. Below that, unfortunately, not even with deactivated C-States + "Ultimate Performance".

Yes... and on the subject of "Digicheck" so much: I just don't understand how I can "route" a sound source through it. For example the sound of my browser, an MP3 in the media player or the Ableton sound of course. It just does not work.
Anyone here with a similar workstation who can explain this under Windows 11?

You do not seem to know how the computer works internally. Power saving has negative impact on DPC latency.
If some drivers are not well enough written then they can block a CPU core for too long.
Then the timeframe to process an audio related thread which has been scheduled to be executed by this core
becomes smaller and audio drops are more likely to happen.

Therefore for audio processing your should deactivate power saving

a) in the BIOS .. disable C-/T-/P- States, C1N
enable Turbo
I would keep speedstep active to be able to control clock in the OS

b) in the Operating system
You should disable power saving for USB and PCIe in the energy profiles

Disable CPU core parking for the High Performance Profile.

If you want power saving then install Process Lasso Pro from Bitsum.

Then you can use e.g. Balanced as default energy profile and activate the IDLE saver feature.
If there is no mouse or keyboard activity it will go down to energy saving profile.
For certain applications (games, DAW) you can assign the power profile Bitsum High Performance.
This is like the Windows High performance profile but has the additional benefit to disable IDLE saver feature, while the application is running. Example: you have a longer taking rendering job running on your computer and leave the computer for a while, then it continues to run at highest Performance. Or you want to record something with the DAW and are not operating the PC, but playing your instrument for a few minutes. During this time you want the DAW process running with the best performance to avoid audio loss.

As nice as energy saving is .. I think you need to review / re-thing your computer setup strategies for audio processing...

My computer is well tuned. Pure audio playback with MusicBee runs in energy saving mode which I even tweaked to run with the highest number of CPU cores parked and to run at the lowest cpu clock. You can tweak the energy profiles of Windows with Bitsums tool "Park Control". I use this tool only for fine tuning the energy profiles. For the rest I use Process Lasso for dynamic energy profile selection on my PC.

Here in this article you can see in the table how much latency is approximately being introduced if you allow the CPU to enter sleep states .. this is too much latency for audio processing with a DAW:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … -X10SRi-F/