Topic: UCX II issues

Hi all! Thank you all for your time in advance. smile

I was a long-time user of a Babyface Pro interface for a long time and ended up upgrading to UCX II. I uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled them, connected to UCX and it seemed to work. Then the issues started: the soundcard would randomly stop working and all the audio on my PC gets frozen. Another variation to this is that the sound starts crackling, increasing in frequency up until it finally freezes. I'm using the power plug that came with the device, it's rack-mounted and there is nothing next to it in the rack to overheat it. I am using Sonarworks but even if I shut Sonarworks down the issue persists. I have tried switching the USB plug around the back of the PC and that doesn't seem to do much either. Updating the drivers for USB-s (which had no problems working with the Babyface Pro) but that doesn't seem to do much. I am running Windows 10 pro, fully updated and all legal.

In short: I can't find the pattern to why this happens and sometimes it goes for a month without happening, or sometimes (like right now) no matter how many times I restart the computer it just simply wont work.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue at all?
Thank you!

Re: UCX II issues

> Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue at all?

I am also an RME customer and own this audio interface UCX II, which can also be used very well as a heat pad in winter.

I'm afraid, that the room temperature is too high.

If your room temperature is already for example around 30 degrees Celsius and more, you have to add this temperature to the device temperature, regardless of whether it is an audio interface or a PC.

Fans that you may already have installed will not help you here, as they only circulate the warm ambient temperature in the room. Therefore, only an air conditioning system that can lower the room and its device temperatures will help with such devices.

Andreas1 wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue at all?

I am also an RME customer and own this audio interface UCX II, which can also be used very well as a heat pad in winter.

I'm afraid, that the room temperature is too high.

If your room temperature is already for example around 30 degrees Celsius and more, you have to add this temperature to the device temperature, regardless of whether it is an audio interface or a PC.

Fans that you may already have installed will not help you here, as they only circulate the warm ambient temperature in the room. Therefore, only an air conditioning system that can lower the room and its device temperatures will help with such devices.

The issues I described are present all year round, summer and winter alike.
Since the temperatures are high, right now I have a fan directed at it working 24/7. Yesterday as I was restarting my computer over and over in hopes of making it work I made sure to check up on it and placed my hand on it. It wasn't overheating or anything.

4 (edited by Dorrus vdv 2022-09-01 20:44:41)

a fan does not work like an air conditioner and does not lower the ambient temperature, but it does cool electrical appliances by rapidly dissipating the hot air from that appliance. So fans do help.

I have issue with Remap Keys.
- Go to device to Remap Keys.
- Select for one of the buttons "Mute Enable"
- clicking on the button should on display "mute enabled" on/off, HOWEVER in TotalMix i see it changes the value of Reverb's "low cut" value to 0 or 1.

I expected it to change the global mute.

Your firmware version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

firmware: v39
driver: v3.28

Total mix 1.78
macOS: 12.6 (2018 intel)

That's a bug, thanks, will be fixed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have similar issue with UCX II. It randomly freezes, not responding to any control buttons, no sound. The USB field on the main display turns to CC (Class Compliant, I guess, so USB connection is lost?). The only way to bring UCX II back to work is to shut down the power and then turn the power on again. (it doesn't respond to the VALUE knob as well). Does any one have experience like that?
I can't figure out what is causing this behavior.

I am running on Windows 10
UCX II Hardware v39
Driver v1.224
TotalMix v1.79

UCX II is on firmware 42 right now. Also check power supply and USB cable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias! The UCX II firmware is now updated to v42. Power supply and USB cable checked. Everything looks good.
My UCX II is rack mounted and powered trough Furman M-8X2 Merit Series 8 Outlet Power Conditioner and Surge Protector. I'll run it for a week and see if the issue is solved.

I still have the same issue with UCX II. I can't pinpoint exactly why it is happening but here is typical scenario:
During playback I decide to switch from studio monitors to headphones.
1. In TotalMix I click on "Phones 1" strip and raise the fader (Software Playback)
2. then I raise the fader on "Analog 1/2" strip (Hardware Inputs). but my headphones don't produce any sound.
3. Both signal indicators show the signal, however no signal goes to headphones and the screen on UCX II doesn't react to configuration change.
4. If I bring Main fader to a minimum (or mute it) the signal still goes to my monitors, not to the headphones and UCX II OUT indicator is frozen.
5. At this point any change I make in TotalMix has no effect on UCX II. and VOLUME knob doesn't work. I can't only shut down the UCX II forcibly by cutting down the power at my power conditioner.
6. After UCX II restart everything comes back to normal and all knobs/faders operate normally. I listen to monitors or headphones problem free and can switch between the two. If I change the volume the UCX II screen shows that immediately.
I cannot find repeatable pattern for this, it appears to happening randomly.
I also don't think this may be caused by power supply or USB cable connection as the playback goes absolutely clear without any hiccups or delays.

I am using original power supply and USB cable. All connections checked/verified to be 100% reliable.
OS is Windows 10
UCX II Hardware Revision 42
Driver v1.227
TotalMix v1.79

Does anyone have this kind of problem? ...and possible fix?

A screenshot might be helpful.

Is routing mode "submix" enabled?
Is any of the related input, playback, or output channels muted?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Or Cue pressed somewhere?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by algor100 2023-03-25 22:34:44)

ramses wrote:

Unfortunately I don't know how to attach an image to my post yet. Sorry for that
Simple - and drop doesn't work here.

Yes, the mode "submix" is enabled.
No input, playback or output channels muted.
No Cue is pressed anywhere.

I am just playing .wav file (no DAW software is involved if that matters)
Today as soon as I plugged my headphones, the UCX II screen went blank.(That happened before too)
However this time I was able to use rotary VOLUME knob to shut the UCX II down and restart it.
After restart everything come back to normal.
I was able to plug my headphones and without a problem use monitors or headphones or both.

16 (edited by algor100 2023-03-26 19:53:48)

algor100 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Unfortunately I don't know how to attach an image to my post yet. Sorry for that
Simple - and drop doesn't work here.

Yes, the mode "submix" is enabled.
No input, playback or output channels muted.
No Cue is pressed anywhere.

I am just playing .wav file (no DAW software is involved if that matters)
Today as soon as I plugged my headphones, the UCX II screen went blank.(That happened before too)
However this time I was able to use rotary VOLUME knob to shut the UCX II down and restart it.
After restart everything come back to normal.
I was able to plug my headphones and without a problem use monitors or headphones or both.

Update: March 26, 2023
Here is the sequence:
1. Playback trough studio monitors - no problem.
2. Headphones plugged in - TotalMix channel indicators show signal in both Main and Phones 1 channel (Hardware Outputs)
however no signal goes to headphones and UCX II screen is frozen (out level indicator doesn't move)
3. Rotary VOLUME knob is not responding.
4. Shut down the power and restarted the UCX II
5. After restart TotalMix FX message popup:

"Mismatch detected - channel and FX settings of Fireface UCX II (1) and TotalMix are different.
Click YES to use the TotalMix settings (default)
Click NO to upload the Device' settings into TotalMix
Note: If unsure click No to check the unit's settings first, then Hit Undo to restore the last TotalMix settings."

6. In TotalMix all ADAT channels (Hardware Inputs, Software Playback and Hardware Outputs) show OVERLOAD.
7. I clicked Yes in the message box and ADAT channels came back to normal.
8. Both monitors and headphones work as expected.

I still have no clue what can cause this weird behavior and would appreciate any help. Thanks

Hi man,

Try different USB cable for RME device please. I had similar issue last month, it was my new 3m UDG cable sad . When I turned back OEM RME USB cable there was no issue at all.

algor100 wrote:

I still have no clue what can cause this weird behavior and would appreciate any help. Thanks

Can you post the serial number of the UCX II?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by algor100 2023-04-01 07:10:26)

Filip_ wrote:

Hi man,

Try different USB cable for RME device please. I had similar issue last month, it was my new 3m UDG cable sad . When I turned back OEM RME USB cable there was no issue at all.

Thanks for trying to help! I am using original USB cable - the one that came with UCX II. I also tried two other USB cables - the one I used with my Roland Octa-Capture before (never had any kind of problem with it) and another one - a high quality one I recently purchased. All 3 work identically and the problem randomly happens with all 3.
I also used different USB ports (USB 2.0; USB 3.0 and USB C) which also makes no difference.

MC wrote:
algor100 wrote:

I can't find a serial number, but there is a barcode on the box with this number: 24072416.
Is that the one?
I found following instructions about how to find serial number:
"Open Totalmix. In the top right corner you should see the name of your interface, when you click on the name the number appears."
That doesn't work. When I click on 'Fireface UCX II' in the upper right corner a text pop-up shows the same name but no number.

Thanks, Matthias

algor100 wrote:
MC wrote:
algor100 wrote:

I can't find a serial number, but there is a barcode on the box with this number: 24072416.
Is that the one?
I found following instructions about how to find serial number:
"Open Totalmix. In the top right corner you should see the name of your interface, when you click on the name the number appears."
That doesn't work. When I click on 'Fireface UCX II' in the upper right corner a text pop-up shows the same name but no number.

Thanks, Matthias

On Windows you can do the following to see the serial number:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 99#p194599

>>>Device Manager, Audio and Video Controller, Properties, Details, Bus reported Device description.<<<

There must be a barcode sticker on the unit showing the serial number.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There must be a barcode sticker on the unit showing the serial number.

I didn't find the barcode sticker on the unit but on the box.
It appears to be the correct one.
I used suggestion given by Muffin (thank you, Muffin) and verified the serial number by going to
>>>Device Manager / Sound, Video and Game Controllers / RME Fireface UCX II / Properties / Details / Bus reported Device description.<<<
The numbers on the barcode sticker and >>>Device Manager ... Bus reported Device description<<< are identical:
Fireface UCX II (24072416), so that is the Serial Number.

Thanks

I have checked that your unit is not one of the first batch that had soldering issues (which also showed up slightly different). Please contact RME Support for an in-depth analysis. There are too many variables and possibilities what is going wrong here. This one:
> 3. Rotary VOLUME knob is not responding.
together with the other stuff is basically impossible, the unit hangs, and this points more to a hardware error within the UCX II.

Are you sure this is the original RME power supply, and the DC connector is fully inserted and locked?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I have checked that your unit is not one of the first batch that had soldering issues (which also showed up slightly different). Please contact RME Support for an in-depth analysis. There are too many variables and possibilities what is going wrong here. This one:
together with the other stuff is basically impossible, the unit hangs, and this points more to a hardware error within the UCX II.

Are you sure this is the original RME power supply, and the DC connector is fully inserted and locked?

Yes, I am 100% positive I am using original RME power supply (I bought UCX II new a year ago) and the DC connector is fully inserted and locked. The problem never happens during recording or playback. It only happens when I change settings in TotalMix

I understand that the unit hangs from time to time but the question is why it does that. Somehow the sync between UCX II (hardware) and TotalMix (software) brakes and the UCX II hangs while TotalMix is still operational.
I am using audio interfaces for almost 20 years. I had 4 of them. They were not as powerful as UCX II, but none of them had any hardware related problem. I still have one older one - Octa-Capture. Yes it is outdated, but it works for over 8 years without a hiccup. UCX II is the most expensive audio interface I ever had and appears to be the least reliable. I expected quite the opposite. Maybe I am missing something...
On the good side for the last two days my UCX II works as it should though I didn't change anything and didn't touch the cables.
If the problem re-appears, I'll try to collect as many details on the issue as I can and will contact RME support. Thanks

MC wrote:

I have checked that your unit is not one of the first batch that had soldering issues (which also showed up slightly different).

By the way, is it possible to check somewhere by s/n if my unit is in the  "soldering risk group" ?:)

algor100 wrote:
MC wrote:

Yes, I am 100% positive I am using original RME power supply (I bought UCX II new a year ago) and the DC connector is fully inserted and locked. The problem never happens during recording or playback. It only happens when I change settings in TotalMix

I understand that the unit hangs from time to time but the question is why it does that. Somehow the sync between UCX II (hardware) and TotalMix (software) brakes and the UCX II hangs while TotalMix is still operational.
I am using audio interfaces for almost 20 years. I had 4 of them. They were not as powerful as UCX II, but none of them had any hardware related problem. I still have one older one - Octa-Capture. Yes it is outdated, but it works for over 8 years without a hiccup. UCX II is the most expensive audio interface I ever had and appears to be the least reliable. I expected quite the opposite. Maybe I am missing something...
On the good side for the last two days my UCX II works as it should though I didn't change anything and didn't touch the cables.
If the problem re-appears, I'll try to collect as many details on the issue as I can and will contact RME support. Thanks

My problem is just getting worse. The unit hangs and becomes unresponsive from time to time on its own. I was forcibly rebooting it and continue to work, but now I am getting this: "Failure in bootloader RAM error detected 10001000". What a pain!! I bought it new in March, 2022 and starting the first week of using it periodically have problems. ...and it gets worse. I try to keep firmware and drivers up to date, but that doesn't make any difference. It appears to me all problems related to the hardware.
Anyone experience anything like that? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Contact your local distributor, nothing else to do. This is warranty so you don't have to worry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Buenos días MC y resto de usuarios.

MC dice que el firmware de UCX II actual es el 42.

¿Por qué en mi UCX II/fireface USB settings/About aparece lo siguiente?

Driver date: 23.05.23

Driver Version: 1.245

Hardware revision: 105

Y además en USB Flash Update Tool: USB 105/DSP 26/USB CC 104

El número de serie de RME UCX II es (copiado de la caja de cartón): 24136217.

Comprada el 06 de junio de 2023 en España.

¿Es todo correcto?

Muchas gracias y disculpen las molestias.

Good morning MC and other users.

MC says that the current UCX II firmware is 42.

Why does my UCX II/fireface USB settings/About show the following? Driver date: 23.05.23 Driver Version: 1.245 Hardware revision: 105

And also in USB Flash Update Tool: USB 105/DSP 26/USB CC 104

The RME UCX II serial number is (copied from the carton box): 24136217.

Purchased on June 6, 2023 in Spain.

Everything is correct?

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

lulu wrote:
MC wrote:

Buenos días MC y resto de usuarios.

MC dice que el firmware de UCX II actual es el 42.

¿Por qué en mi UCX II/fireface USB settings/About aparece lo siguiente?

Driver date: 23.05.23

Driver Version: 1.245

Hardware revision: 105

Y además en USB Flash Update Tool: USB 105/DSP 26/USB CC 104

El número de serie de RME UCX II es (copiado de la caja de cartón): 24136217.

Comprada el 06 de junio de 2023 en España.

¿Es todo correcto?

Muchas gracias y disculpen las molestias.

Good morning MC and other users.

MC says that the current UCX II firmware is 42.

Why does my UCX II/fireface USB settings/About show the following? Driver date: 23.05.23 Driver Version: 1.245 Hardware revision: 105

And also in USB Flash Update Tool: USB 105/DSP 26/USB CC 104

The RME UCX II serial number is (copied from the carton box): 24136217.

Purchased on June 6, 2023 in Spain.

Everything is correct?

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

Hardware revision is not the same as firmware version!

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thank you very much for answering oli77sch. I thought it was the same. So where can I find the firmware version number of my UCX II?

Flash Update Tool says:

UCX II (Hw-REV.6) USB 42/DSP 26/USB (CC) 21
UCX II (Hw-REV.7) USB 105/DSP 26/USB (CC) 104

Seeing this flash update tool tab I thought my drive was HW REV.7 and MC was referring to HW REV.6.

What is the difference between HW REV.6 and HW REV.7?

Sorry for the offtopic, thank you very much.

32 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-09 21:32:45)

lulu wrote:

Thank you very much for answering oli77sch. I thought it was the same. So where can I find the firmware version number of my UCX II?

Flash Update Tool says:

UCX II (Hw-REV.6) USB 42/DSP 26/USB (CC) 21
UCX II (Hw-REV.7) USB 105/DSP 26/USB (CC) 104

Seeing this flash update tool tab I thought my drive was HW REV.7 and MC was referring to HW REV.6.

What is the difference between HW REV.6 and HW REV.7?

Sorry for the offtopic, thank you very much.

Ah sorry, I’m wrong then. And as it seems it’s how you see it. Some devices exist with different hw revisions which require also different firmware versions. It’s the same with my Digiface USB for example. Of course in the case of the UCX II I mixed things up (although it’s still true, firmware and hw rev. aren’t the same).  I don’t know the differences between hw rev 6 and 7.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

All our interfaces had to be changed from Spartan 6 FPGA to Spartan 7. That's all, no other difference.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Contact your local distributor, nothing else to do. This is warranty so you don't have to worry.

Thank you, Matthias! I just followed your recommendation and contacted my local distributor.
My problem was resolved fast! My FF UCX II unit was sent to GerrAudio (our local Canadian distributor) for repair and/or replacement.
I even got lucky to negotiate an upgrade. So, within 2 days I received brand new Fireface UFX III interface and it works flawlessly so far. (Of course I paid the difference in price.)
Thank you, Matthias, thank you AVShop.ca (local retailer), thank you Gerr Audio (local distributor)! Great people, Great service!

Selva wrote:
MC wrote:

I have checked that your unit is not one of the first batch that had soldering issues (which also showed up slightly different).

By the way, is it possible to check somewhere by s/n if my unit is in the  "soldering risk group" ?:)

And now, given that this error appeared on my unit yesterday, this question is very relevant for me.

I received my UCX II a few days ago (HW-Rev 7, USB 106 DSP 26 USB (CC) 104), the screen briefly flashes 2x when I power on the device. Obviously this is not normal, because my other RME units do not do this. The connector is locked according to the label. No other problems found. In the long term, should this not be a problem? What do you suggest? Should I send it back to the dealer? The video is attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HGRH1L … drive_link

My RME setup:
UFX III, UCXII, Digiface USB, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

That video does not explain what you did. The way to switch it on / off is via the volume knob. Then the screen will not flash twice.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

38 (edited by dr.donath 2023-08-23 19:40:35)

MC wrote:

That video does not explain what you did. The way to switch it on / off is via the volume knob. Then the screen will not flash twice.

This is done when the electricity is applied, not when the appliance is switched on with button. I think it's obvious from the video and the description, I can't show both the appliance and plugging it into the power socket at the same time. I know that the appliance is turned on and off with the button. The question is whether it is normal for the screen to flash when electricity is applied to the device. And I have tried several power distributors, it is not the power distributor that is at fault. The dealer suggested that I ask the RME experts here, he says there are two things, either a display fault or a ram fault.  Thanks for all answers in advance! (Although I'd less like to be told, as I once was in a furniture store, to prop up the legs of a wobbly chair or cut off the other legs if I don't like the wobbles...)

My RME setup:
UFX III, UCXII, Digiface USB, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

There is no problem, this is expected behaviour on a UCX II. When power is applied the unit shortly switches on to check its state, which here is off, then switches the unit off into standby. This can cause a short blip on the display.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME