Topic: Driver for Windows on Arm

I have an AppleSilicon Mac installed.
Because I work with Windows, I installed Windows 10 and 11 using Parallels17.
I installed Driver for Windows but it does not work properly.

The installer shows "installation complete" but the driver is not actually installed and I cannot use the audio interface when I connect it.

I'm assuming that this is because the RME driver is not compatible with the Windows on Arm environment,
but what do you guys think?

Please help.

Re: Driver for Windows on Arm

What I can confirm is that we will never test nor support such a configuration. Sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I could understand.
Thank you.

4 (edited by idimata 2024-09-18 20:20:18)

MC wrote:

What I can confirm is that we will never test nor support such a configuration. Sorry.

Now that the entire Windows ecosystem (Microsoft Surface, Acer, Asus, Samsung, HP, Lenovo, Dell) has gone Windows on Arm, will RME release native drivers for Windows' ARM-64 CPU architecture? Or at least will RME ensure compatibility with the emulation layer? I hope RME will at least consider it! I have three RME interfaces (UFX+, UCX II, and Babyface Pro FS), and I would like to use them on my new system. I hope the answer isn't that I need to sell it all and buy an inferior interface!

You need to read some serious press to understand that the current generation of Snapdragon and Windows ARM computers completely fail (!) for Pro audio. Simply said - nothing works. You might ask again in 2 years...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Not to mention the OP wants to use the interface in a Windows virtual machine on Apple hardware (now that is a perversion), which is not supported and never will be.

7 (edited by Kubrak Yesterday 10:18:55)

Exactly MC! Latest WinOnARM trial, the third one, is as succesfull as the previous two. And x86 (at least by AMD) may deliver the same power efficiency as ARM without any compatibility issues on Win.... So, why anybody wants ARM on Win is beyond my comprehension capabilities.

Trials to push ARM to Win seems to be like trials to manufacture round square.

@idimata MS Surface 7 Pro (i5) runs with RME interfaces just great. It is passively cooled and one may get one secondhand for about 400 EUR. (Later models or i7 models are not passively cooled.) Even better is MS Surface 7+ Pro that has easily replacable SSD and i5 version is still passively cooled. Also it is last Surface that has classical CPU and not big.little....

8 (edited by idimata Today 01:34:04)

Kubrak wrote:

Exactly MC! Latest WinOnARM trial, the third one, is as succesfull as the previous two. And x86 (at least by AMD) may deliver the same power efficiency as ARM without any compatibility issues on Win.... So, why anybody wants ARM on Win is beyond my comprehension capabilities.

Trials to push ARM to Win seems to be like trials to manufacture round square.

@idimata MS Surface 7 Pro (i5) runs with RME interfaces just great. It is passively cooled and one may get one secondhand for about 400 EUR. (Later models or i7 models are not passively cooled.) Even better is MS Surface 7+ Pro that has easily replacable SSD and i5 version is still passively cooled. Also it is last Surface that has classical CPU and not big.little....

I already have a Surface Pro 7+ with the i5, with 5G, which I used for more than 4 years now. It performs very poorly and was the bane of my existence. It was holding me back. I couldn't even use certain programs I need to use. For example, DaVinci Resolve for editing videos for YouTube or otherwise: it's a no-bueno on my 7+. Certain plugins would struggle on it. Sampling libraries would be unstable and use huge amounts of CPU and Memory. Useless. Sure my RME works, but not much else.

The whole point of these devices is that they should be portable. If I have to carry an x86 Surface Pro to run my audio interface (and nothing else really) and an ARM-64 Surface Pro to run everything else, this is not going to work. I don't think that would work for most people, actually.

Edit:
Come to think of it, I actually also used an AMD laptop with a Ryzen 5, where I dual booted Windows and Linux (I did software engineering for >2 decades and have experience with both OS's). Linux is already ARM-compatible, and Windows's first foray into things ARM was terrible, but now the Windows experience is a lot better.

I would have to say that the difference between ARM-64 and x86 is night and day. Much faster, much more battery efficient, I don't hear any fans, and much more stable. I don't plan to go back. Even Linus Torvalds uses Linux on an ARM-based device. DaVinci Resolve 19 works on the Surface Pro 11, Reaper, and so many other programs I use.

I've done my research. It looks like to me like ARM-64 is here to stay, especially on Windows. I can easily see a lot of companies getting left behind and going the way of the dinosaur, unfortunately.

I think it may be best for RME to at the very least just ensure that it works via the Windows emulation layer for compatibility, even if there aren't any current plans to create native drivers. The Prism emulation layer appears to work very seamlessly for every program I've tried. There are just a few programs that don't work, really.

OK, you may buy x86 MS Surface or other computer. MS Surface 7 Pro runs Traktor 3 Pro (DJ program) and it did run even few heavy CPU plugins. Of course not many. It is not computer for heavy work, it is Win tablet, not computer for heavy computing tasks.

And cannot you run RME interface in CC mode? I know no TM in that case...

Kubrak wrote:

OK, you may buy x86 MS Surface or other computer. MS Surface 7 Pro runs Traktor 3 Pro (DJ program) and it did run even few heavy CPU plugins. Of course not many. It is not computer for heavy work, it is Win tablet, not computer for heavy computing tasks.

And cannot you run RME interface in CC mode? I know no TM in that case...

I do believe there should eventually be drivers and a compatible TotalMix experience. As a Linux user I can expect to be a second-class citizen and have to use class compliant mode, etcetera. But part of the reason why I still dual-boot Windows beyond compatibility is that I know that all the top companies are going to give it flagship attention. I don't expect to have the same issues on the Windows side. When Apple made the move to ARM, same thing. I think ARM is here to stay, and I don't think Intel's Lunar Lake and its battery life promises are going to steer it back to x86, because these CPU's will still have the same problems ARM solves including the thermal performance.

Anyway, this is just my opinion: All my years of building computers, programming them, using them... I've learned that my desktops and laptops are essentially the same components. I recently built a Mini PC with a 13th Gen Intel i7 for a project, and there was very little meaningful performance differences between the Intel Core i7-13700 used on desktops and the Intel i7-1360 I used in the Mini PC. They both have 13th gen CPU's. The memory also only differs slightly. There's just less room for expansion, less room for thermals, and less application for a powerful GPU. The essential ingredients are very similar. Of course we can into the technical nitty-gritty and argue about SoC's and the proximity needs for the memory to be close to them, etc! But my basic point is that the performance gains between tech of the same generation are going to be very roughly on par, except faster compared to the generation of tech before it.

In the same way, there's little performance difference in my experience between the Surface Pro line and a desktop I might build. The meaningful differences are going to be the form factor (it's portable!) and I/O, really. The Surface Pro 11 on ARM is faster than a 13th gen CPU. After getting the device, I can immediately tell the difference.