Topic: Unable to connect Babyface Pro to Macbook Pro

I have a Babyface Pro and have been using it for years with no issues on a PC.
I recently purchased a Macbook Pro M3 and have not been able to get the Babyface Pro to work on this new computer.

Here are some of the configuration items:

Mac OS upgraded to Sequoia 15.0.1
Upgraded the firmware in the Babyface pro to the latest using my PC.
Installed the Driverkit drivers multiple times (never saw an Accept button to press)
Purchased an external power supply for the Babyface pro
Purchased a USB C/A adapter.

The Babyface Pro shows up fine on the PC and is not recognized on the Mac.

The only way I can get the Babyface pro to be recognized as a sound device on the Mac is by changing the mode of the device by pressing the select and dim buttons (while USB is unplugged).  The device then is recognized by the Mac, however the Fireface USB Settings application disappears in this mode.

When I put the mode back to the settings that work on the PC, the Babyface Pro is not recognized by the Mac and the Fireface USB Settings application shows up again (showing Firmware V206 Driver: v4.16).

In either case, the totalmix fx application always shows disconnected.

Can someone at RME shed some light on how to get this configuration to work properly.

Thanks.

Re: Unable to connect Babyface Pro to Macbook Pro

Install the Driverkit again and allow RME GmbH driver extensions here in the system settings: https://i.imgur.com/bgkFgEX.png

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Thanks for the reply.

Reinstalled the drivers.
Verified that RME Gmbh is allowed in the background per your suggestion.

The behaviour now is as follows:

Mac recognizes the Babyface Pro as a device.
When I send the output to the BabyFace Pro, I see the output LED's moving with the audio I am sending to it, so it looks like the device is connecting and working.

However, TotalMix FX remains disconnected.  I cant control the device through TotalMix.

Do I have some setting incorrect?  How do I get TotalMix to recognize the device so that I can control it?

Thanks again.

You need to allow the 'microphone' for TotalMix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jfayman wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Reinstalled the drivers.
Verified that RME Gmbh is allowed in the background per your suggestion.

The behaviour now is as follows:

Mac recognizes the Babyface Pro as a device.
When I send the output to the BabyFace Pro, I see the output LED's moving with the audio I am sending to it, so it looks like the device is connecting and working.

However, TotalMix FX remains disconnected.  I cant control the device through TotalMix.

Do I have some setting incorrect?  How do I get TotalMix to recognize the device so that I can control it?

Thanks again.

Is the unit in CC-mode ?

Press and hold the two buttons SELECT and DIM during power-up does flip normal-mode to CC-mode and back.
Try

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Well, I have tried both modes and no luck.

I cant tell by looking at the device which mode it is in, but I have tried both modes.

In one mode, the device is recognized as a sound device on the Mac and Fireface USB Settings app is not available.  It is in this mode that I see activity on the output LEDs on the device.

In the other mode, the device is not recognized as a sound device on the Mac and the FireFace USB Settings app is available.

In neither mode does the Babyface or any applications related to it appear in the Applications allowed to access the microphone.

In neither mode does Totalmix find the Babyface.

???

7 (edited by waedi 2024-10-15 20:00:48)

The level meter LEDs on the front will show on startup the mode by big letters CC or PC.
You should use PC (normal-mode)

When the Fireface USB Settings app is working, then the driver is working and has contact to the interface, Totalmix should open and work.
Try again.

Arghh...

The only way I an get anything to show up on the Babyface Pro is when it is in CC mode.

In CC mode the Babyface shows up as a selectable input/output device in Mac sound settings and output from an mp3 file played on the Mac causes the LED's on the Babyface to move when selecting the Babyface as the audio output from the Mac.  Fireface USB settings app will not open in CC mode and TotalMix is disconnected.

In PC mode the Babyface does not show up as a selectable input/output device in Mac sound settings but the USB Settings app shows up.  No output goes to the Babyface.

In no case does the totalmix identify the babyface and shows an ID of 12345678 - disconnected

It seems like I need the device to both show up in sound settings AND the fireface USB Settings app operating.  I cant figure out any way to make this happen.

9 (edited by waedi 2024-10-16 08:10:10)

Please check this :

Click the i button and ensure it's enabled

https://i.ibb.co/4dMQzKb/i-button.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/6RZBprT/Bildschirmfoto-2024-10-16-um-09-09-20.png

Bingo!!!

That was it.  Everything is working now.

Thank you all so much for helping getting this working.

Now back to fun.

It was the driver extension Waedi pointed out with the pink arrow.
When I clicked on the 'i' it brought up a dialog where I needed to turn it on.

It didnt occur to me to click on this as once I saw the RME Gmbh selected above it, I though all was good.

Anyway, this is what was missing.

Thanks to all that contributed in working this out.  Hopefully it will save others time down the road.

Good point. We will update the screenshots on the RME website. https://rme-audio.de/rme-macos.html

Regards,
Audio AG Support

13 (edited by waedi Yesterday 09:00:43)

Another user pointed me recently into this.
I have no clue why this is not enabled automatic at a few users.
The most people just run the installer and all is fine.
As on my own computer.
I have to admit, since Monterey OS I have SIP disabled, never had an issue from this.
Someone in the forum long ago told me I shall not recommend to disable SIP this may be dangerous to the computer.

I think it's good for the computer as I keep control of what goes installed, I don't need all these Apples paranoid Security doors and enabling switches.
And a hidden switch behind an icon that is mysteriously a button nobody knows, I would delete the whole Security section from MacOS as soon as I own Apple.

I would delete the whole Security section from MacOS as soon as I own Apple.

Please DO!

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Someone in the forum long ago told me I shall not recommend to disable SIP this may be dangerous to the computer.

Waedi, i think it was me…

Please DO!

I i still recommend not, never, ever to turn off SIP permanently.

Disabling SIP permanent => if you forget your MacBook in a train, f.ex:
- forget previos enabled DriveEncryption (FileVault)
- forget that any data stored on it is still safe
- prepare resetting every password/2fa/passkey which is saved on it elsewhere
- iCloud etc…

Yes, Apple tries to expand its monopol and power. Thats clear. And they try to nag the Users, Manufacturers, even the EU. Absolutly with it: Totaly BS, what Apple does here.

But regarding Security: Always a bad idea to disable it general just because sth nags…

It is like cutting the cables of your Airbag in your car because it has detected a malfunction, signalling it by the red light in Cockpit. Ok, if you have to go to „TÜV“ tomorrow. But afterwards we would try however make the Airbag 100% working again. At least, if our Kids are sitting in the car. Right?

I recommend this (old) but still very good article regarding SIP: https://eclecticlight.co/2019/06/19/wha … rn-it-off/

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard