Topic: TotalMix Fx 1.97 Beta – public preview available Windows/Mac

TotalMix FX 1.96 has just been released, see here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=39809

and we are already on to the next update. This time it's not about tons of new features and fixes, but mainly one feature, often ask for in this forum: being able to control our popular 12Mic from TotalMix FX.

This is done via Settings (F3), tab Aux. Devices, which so far only included the OctaMic XTC. It allows one to assign a bank of 8 mic pre channels to an 8-channel bank of ADAT or MADI. One or multiple.

The 12Mic has 12 channels, which didn't fit into this scheme. The changed dialog in 1.97 presents two 4-channel based assignments instead. These easily allow to adress the 12 channels of an 12Mic, or even multiple 12Mics, to TotalMix FX, which will then show a phantom power button, a Gain knob and an AutoSet button in the respective channel settings. Obviously this can be very handy, saving the mic pre state right within a TM FX Snapshot or Workspace.

Supported in Tv 1.97 is not only the 12Mic (and OctaMic XTC), but also 12Mic-D and AVB Tool.

While this release is marked beta, there is no other change to the code than this functionality, so the apps should be safe even for production use. No guarantee, though.

Downloads

Windows
TM FX 1.97b1: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_win_197b1.zip

TM FX Remote 1.43b1: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx … _143b1.zip

Mac
TM FX 1.97b1: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_197b1.zip

TM FX Remote 1.43b1: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx … _143b1.zip

Installation

Windows: Exit TotalMix FX (right click systray icon) and copy the new version into Windows\System32, overwriting the old file.

Mac: Exit TotalMix FX completely and copy the app into the Applications folder, overwriting the old file.

Have fun!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix Fx 1.97 Beta – public preview available Windows/Mac

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/auxdevice1.png https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/auxdevice2.png

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/tmfx12mic.png

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias, thank you very much, that's really great.

Furthermore, cleverly done in terms of implementation, simply divided into groups of 4 to be able to operate a 4, 8 and 12 mic port scheme.

Had only time for short tests. From what I can see, works solid for Octamic XTC and 12Mic on a MADI bus (UFX III).

Even with mouse wheel settings to scroll 5 lines at once it is possible to smoothly operate the gain.

Excellent!

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It would be great if a button for "Inst" could be added for the first 4 ports of 12Mic, like for the XTC, many thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I wrote in the 1.96 Beta thread reporting a small issue regarding fader groups not being saved under certain conditions and I've just discovered now in 1.97 b1 a bit more about the issue.

I'm trying to save 2 different output faders into a Fader group - one stereo main out and one mono LFE output. Use case here is trying to sync a subwoofer fader to be part of main volume out in a 2.1 setup.

I have a workspace where one snapshot is 2.0 and another snapshot is 2.1. If I save the workspace when the 2.1 snapshot is selected and fader group on as described, and later reload this workspace, the Fader group with Main Out + LFE out is still grouped as expected. If I then select any other snapshot and come back to my 2.1 snapshot the LFE channel is not remembered in the group I made.

Also if I save the workspace with anything other than the 2.1 snapshot selected and reload the workspace and then select the 2.1 snapshot the LFE fader is also left out of the group.

Hopefully this makes sense so it can be logged.

6 (edited by babul 2024-09-04 15:14:24)

Oooooo I've wanted this for a long time. I was able to get this to work with my UFX III and 12mic.

A few notes...

1. Totalmix does not read the current 12mic config? When i got Totalmix connected it cleared my 12mic pres setup. Thankfully I had a preset backup which I reverted to. But those settings did not reflect back in Totalmix.

2. I was able to make changes in Totalmix and see them reflected in the 12mic web interface. Magic! But changes made in the web interface were not reflected back to Totalmix.

3. As ramses mentioned it would be great if "Inst/XLR" support was available for the first 4 ports of the 12mic

4. MADI 1-9, Device 2 my input port always reverts back to "UFX III Port 1" when I leave the Mixer settings no matter what I set it to. Device 1 & 3 both stick.

So I am thinking that going forward I set my 12mic settings as needed in my Totalmix snapshots.

Apple Mac Studio M1 Max, Sonoma, RME UFX III, 12Mic, Pulse 16 MX, Softube Console 1, Studio One 6

babul wrote:

Oooooo I've wanted this for a long time. I was able to get this to work with my UFX III and 12mic.

2. I was able to make changes in Totalmix and see them reflected in the 12mic web interface. Magic! But changes made in the web interface were not reflected back to Totalmix.

4. MADI 1-9, Device 2 my input port always reverts back to "UFX III Port 1" when I leave the Mixer settings no matter what I set it to. Device 1 & 3 both stick.

For me it's the opposite.
Changes in web and Connector are shown in TM but changes in TM do nothing at all.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

It is working when I route the 12 Mic to MADI 9-20
Strange

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

It's all looking good in TM when I route 1610 Pro to MADI 1-16 and 12 Mic to MADI 17-28

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

10 (edited by Gautier 2024-09-05 23:55:04)

It does work great and comes perfect in time, I just purchased a 12 mic hoping the integration in TM would come soon ! Many thanks, works like a charm, after the help from fellows outthere including Ramses. Great forum !

- Working only one way: either MIDI In or Out port are assigned wrong or not connected to the external unit

- General setup: the dialog follows a simpe rule -  the most top entry, selecting the channel bank of the audio interface, sets all others. For example you can not change the Device ID and expect that you now see the values of Device x. What you did is that you gave the still selected channel bank (top entry) a different Device ID.

- When closing that settings dialog and reopening it the top entry defaults to the first available channels! Not noticing that you might think the settings have changed - they have not, which will be clear when you select the correct channel bank (top entry) again.

- The concept of 'Aux Devices' is based on TM FX setting (sending) all parameters on start. A readback first on start does not exist. We're thinking about an option to do so.

- Note that simultaneous usage of TM FX and Remote is not implemented - never was - and will cause random and undefined behaviour.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I can't disable talkback dim for the life of me, how do i do it?

In Totalmix menu Options / Settings Tab General
Pull the faders fully right side
and assign to none

https://i.ibb.co/NxD9d1v/Bildschirmfoto-2024-09-07-um-18-11-04.png

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

14 (edited by ploki 2024-09-07 23:19:53)

Faders ARE to the right - but I need talkback, so i can't set it to none. (I have it set to AN8)
Listenback is set to None.

The talkback dim fader doesn't even change the dim amount anyway no matter how i set it
UFX+ firmware is v112

I just don't want talkback to dim my mains.
Before 1.96b this didn't happen

okay for whatever reason:
- set the input to none, dim to -65dB, hit OK

closed settings,  then went back and set it back to AN8 and 0dB and it now works as expected.

If i just went into settings and wiggled talkback around and clicked "OK" it didn't hold the settings.

But you are aware that the fader of Listenback sets the amount of Mains Dim, not the one of Talkback? As written in all manuals:

Talkback
Input. Selects the input channel of the Talkback signal (microphone in control room). De-fault: None.
Dim. Amount of attenuation of the signals routed to the Phones in dB.

Listenback
Input. Selects the input channel of the Listenback signal (microphone in recording room). Default: None.
Dim. Amount of attenuation of the signals routed to the Main Out in dB.

For Listenback no input needs to be selected to make the fader work on Mains.

Also the set fader value does not become effective immediately, but only after a click of OK.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by ploki 2024-09-08 12:00:28)

MC wrote:

But you are aware that the fader of Listenback sets the amount of Mains Dim, not the one of Talkback? As written in all manuals:

Talkback
Input. Selects the input channel of the Talkback signal (microphone in control room). De-fault: None.
Dim. Amount of attenuation of the signals routed to the Phones in dB.

Listenback
Input. Selects the input channel of the Listenback signal (microphone in recording room). Default: None.

For Listenback no input needs to be selected to make the fader work on Mains.

Also the set fader value does not become effective immediately, but only after a click of OK.

Aware.
Talkback dim was set to 0dB, as i had it set before beta versions, but after installing beta, it set itself to -20dB while settings were still displaying it as 0dB. I opened settings, wiggled it around back to zero, clicked OK, but it stayed -20dB (while settings displaying 0dB)

(Then i don't remember if i set it to -whatever and OK'd it or not)
Only then have I changed it to NONE, -65dB, OK'd it, and set it back to 0dB and AN8 and now it works as it used to.

ploki wrote:
MC wrote:

Listenback

Aware. Talkback dim was set to 0dB

Why do you talk about Talkback Dim? I just explained that you need to adjust Listenback Dim when you want to have your Mains more or less muted. Also this whole Talkback stuff was not working as expected and got fixed in 1.96 (see readme:

New in TotalMix FX 1.96:
- Several fixes for Talkback function: update Trim state, correct Gain settings, Fader operation)

So it could be that you had an invalid state stored that needed a wider reset (what you did by changing the channel as well). Anyway, it works correctly since 1.96.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello, how can I assign the 12 mic entries of my 12mic in Totalmix, I succeed for the first 8, but not for the last 4.

I'm using an UFX+ and a 12mic.

thanks

Screenshots are in above posts.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

21 (edited by jpjonckheere 2024-09-11 15:09:22)

How can I access to the 2nd screen with Madi 9-16 if it's already used with Madi 1-8 ?
Do I need to run a 2nd totalmix window ?

jpjonckheere wrote:

Hello, how can I assign the 12 mic entries of my 12mic in Totalmix, I succeed for the first 8, but not for the last 4.

thanks

See posting two:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 27#p223727

ramses wrote:
jpjonckheere wrote:

thanks

See posting two:

I'm maybe stupid but if the channel bank is already used for MADI 1-8, hopw can, I add Madi 9-16 to use the 12 mic entries  ?

By selecting it. Then the lower entries change to default and have to be set again. Then selecting the former channels their entries will be shown. Etc.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jpjonckheere wrote:
ramses wrote:
jpjonckheere wrote:

thanks

See posting two:

I'm maybe stupid but if the channel bank is already used for MADI 1-8, hopw can, I add Madi 9-16 to use the 12 mic entries  ?

Maybe take a closer look? ;-)
You've used the drop-down menu before ... When selecting the device type, you can see for which port ranges you are selecting. As it is difficult to make 12 ports from a range of 8 ports, half of the ports from the next block of 8 are used for the last 4 ports. Take some time and look again at the two screenshots and the penny will drop.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zc0ty3l4mycpian3m3ne5/2024-09-11-12Mic-auxdevice.jpg?rlkey=tqga160h5mnsiw0cohtnm9nrg&dl=1

ramses wrote:
jpjonckheere wrote:

Maybe take a closer look? ;-)
You've used the drop-down menu before ... When selecting the device type, you can see for which port ranges you are selecting. As it is difficult to make 12 ports from a range of 8 ports, half of the ports from the next block of 8 are used for the last 4 ports. Take some time and look again at the two screenshots and the penny will drop.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zc0ty3l4mycpian3m3ne5/2024-09-11-12Mic-auxdevice.jpg?rlkey=tqga160h5mnsiw0cohtnm9nrg&dl=1

ok, I'm stupid ....

but another question, my 12mic is connected to my ufx+ with madi coax
I'm using totalmix fx 1.97 b1
I've selected in totalmix the appropriate channels bank and device
but I have no control at all on my 12mic via totalmix

I see the mic level but that's all, no control

did I something wrong ?

thanks for your help

27 (edited by ramses 2024-09-12 08:34:14)

> ok, I'm stupid ....

Don't worry, such things happen to us all :-)

If you use MADI coax then you need a different MIDI port, UFX+ Midi Port 4 (manual ch 21.4).

ramses wrote:

> ok, I'm stupid ....

Don't worry, such things happen to us all :-)

If you use MADI coax then you need a different MIDI port, UFX+ Midi Port 4 (manual ch 21.4).

it's still not working, I've selected UFX+ midi port 4....

Fon input and output?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Fon input and output?

yes

31 (edited by ramses 2024-09-12 09:36:18)

Is this the only device which is connected to MADI?

If yes, do you have a MADI connection from UFX+ to 12Mic and back to UFX+?

UFX+-----MADI------->12Mic
  ^                               |
   |                               |
   +---------<-------------+

If you have connected more than one device in a serial fashion (one after the other) then all devices need to be turned on, so that MADI signals are passed through to the next device in the chain and finally back to the UFX+.

UFX+-----MADI------->12Mic--------MADI----->NextMADIDevice
  ^                                                                           |
   |                                                                           |
   +---------<------------------------------------------------+

I tried here several things for you, as it was also interesting for me, it turned out that

- Auxdevice still works if UFX III MADI frame is set to 96k and if you choose 48k on the 12Mic
  Nevertheless, I would recommend you to choose the same MADI frame size on all devices, best 96k

- Auxdevice still works if you do not not pass through all MADI channels, which are not in use by the 12Mic.
  But should you should chain several MADI devices on the one MADI bus of the UFX+ in the future, then
  you need to configure the routing not only for the 12Mic itself.
  You also need to configure to pass through all other channels
  E.g.
  Mic In 1..12 -----> MADI 1-12
  MADI 13-64 -----> MADI 13-64 (pass through of the other MADI channels)

MC wrote:
ploki wrote:
MC wrote:

Listenback

Aware. Talkback dim was set to 0dB

Why do you talk about Talkback Dim? I just explained that you need to adjust Listenback Dim when you want to have your Mains more or less muted. Also this whole Talkback stuff was not working as expected and got fixed in 1.96 (see readme:

New in TotalMix FX 1.96:
- Several fixes for Talkback function: update Trim state, correct Gain settings, Fader operation)

So it could be that you had an invalid state stored that needed a wider reset (what you did by changing the channel as well). Anyway, it works correctly since 1.96.

Shit i feel so stupid now. Because I mixed up which switch dims which channels in talkback and listenback. smile
A quick glance at the manual cleared it up REALLY quickly.

ramses wrote:

If you have connected more than one device in a serial fashion (one after the other) then all devices need to be turned on, so that MADI signals are passed through to the next device in the chain and finally back to the UFX+.

I tried here several things for you, as it was also interesting for me, it turned out that

- Auxdevice still works if UFX III MADI frame is set to 96k and if you choose 48k on the 12Mic
  Nevertheless, I would recommend you to choose the same MADI frame size on all devices, best 96k

- Auxdevice still works if you do not not pass through all MADI channels, which are not in use by the 12Mic.
  But should you should chain several MADI devices on the one MADI bus of the UFX+ in the future, then
  E.g.

I have only one device connected to my UFX+, madi out to madi in and madi in to madi out

jpjonckheere wrote:
ramses wrote:

E.g.

I have only one device connected to my UFX+, madi out to madi in and madi in to madi out

and madi led is green on my ufx

sorry, no idea.

36 (edited by ramses 2024-09-12 19:44:30)

Bug?

TM 1.97b1 doesn't remember the device ID for the 2nd entry Port 5-8:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ccsgqm3x7026e5yzo3sg9/2024-09-12-TM-1.97b-12Mic-Auxdevice-doesnt-remember-device-ID-for-ports-5-8.jpg?rlkey=4fi0hwp9xnu8mbwf3sfkqcc0y&amp;st=zutsb171&amp;dl=1

You can configure it, but once you open Settings (F3) again, the ID is set to 0.

Yep, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Resizing the TM 1.97b1 window on Intel MPB Pro Ventura 13.6.9 seems to have issues. Can adjust for width but not vertically.

Issue persists in 100%/135% & 200% modes. Tested with internal monitor only and with two external monitors connected.

ramses wrote:

sorry, no idea.

could I send you some screenshot of my config ?

I prefer if you post it to the forum, then everybody can take a look. I am a customer like you.
The other alternative, write an e-mail to RME support, maybe they can support you with a remote session if needed.

NoisyNarrowBandDevice wrote:

Resizing the TM 1.97b1 window on Intel MPB Pro Ventura 13.6.9 seems to have issues. Can adjust for width but not vertically.

Issue persists in 100%/135% & 200% modes. Tested with internal monitor only and with two external monitors connected.

If vertical size changes were possible why do we need the Zoom fixed steps then?

Vertical is NOT possible and never was.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thx for the clarification - I could have sworn to have vertically resized TM in the past...;)

43 (edited by tonpalt 2024-09-15 13:28:51)

Hello

First of all congratulations for this 'Modern Art Piece' in software form called TotalMix, IMHO (probably) the best GUI mixer and a demonstration of respect for us Users/Customers. I'm NOT suck up to RME, that's what i think.

As a self-recording musician my UCX II and TM offers me much more than needed but please, I would love enjoy some features coming from Stand-Alone operation in next TM FX 1.97 RC (Release Candidate) or future versions. These are my requests:

• Add option to load the 6 UCX II physical memory Setups into TM, not just save.

• Add option in TM Preferences to enable/disable the dialog warning forcing to choose [Device] or [TotalMix] coming from Stand-Alone and load directly the last Setup used on UCX II before online.

Thanks for read

UCX II 106/34/104 v1.251 TM1.96 - PC Win11 23H2 / Fedora WS 40 - Reaper 7.22

tonpalt wrote:

Hello

First of all congratulations for this 'Modern Art Piece' in software form called TotalMix, IMHO (probably) the best GUI mixer and a demonstration of respect for us Users/Customers. I'm NOT suck up to RME, that's what i think.

As a self-recording musician my UCX II and TM offers me much more than needed but please, I would love enjoy some features coming from Stand-Alone operation in next TM FX 1.97 RC (Release Candidate) or future versions. These are my requests:

• Add option to load the 6 UCX II physical memory Setups into TM, not just save.

• Add option in TM Preferences to enable/disable the dialog warning forcing to choose [Device] or [TotalMix] coming from Stand-Alone and load directly the last Setup used on UCX II before online.

Thanks for read

I wrote this already a couple of days ago, not sure whether it was for you.

to 1) possible by reading the setups from the camera and storing them one by one to TM FX snapshots.
You can easily save the workspace then to a file or to one of the 30 Quick Workplace Select Slots.
Then you can manage them there and write them to the device slot 1..6 as you like.

In TM FX Preferences (F2) you only need to deactivate
[   ]  Always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings
to get the message whether changed settings should be read from the device

to 2) configure in TM Preferences (F2)
[ x ]  Always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings

I would also like, if it would be possible to load setting's slots 1-6 from device to TM.

I know, one may load a slot to HW and also store it in computer for referencing.... But one may use many computers. And one often is not perfect in archiving and so on. So, being able to load what is stored in HW would be IMHO beneficial. One could check beforehand that the routing stored is the right one.

ad 2) IMHO OP wants the opposite... TM loads routing last used from interface without asking.

Kubrak wrote:

ad 2) IMHO OP wants the opposite... TM loads routing last used from interface without asking.

Ah ok, I misread that.

Setups stored in the unit (for stand-alone mode) miss the complete software playback part of the mixer, for obvious reasons. That's why there will be no import into TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, but if one switches interface before computer and chooses keep interface setting instead of TM one, current settings of interface will ''load" to TM.

So, the same could be done for any of 6 slots, not just the one active. And Playback part of mixer could be set either to "no signal"
or to what is, I think, TM default routing AN1 to AN1, AN2 to AN2 and so on. It could be even user configurable in settings, or user could decide by responding to TM prompt dialog.

The same one could do by disconnecting interface setting it to desired preset slot, reconnecting interface to computer and choosing not to load TM settings to interface... But SW solution would be more user friendly.

The current total state is just a (one) state, and not a memory slot. For storing that one  1 or 6 times there is no memory.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK in that case TM could force interface to load one of six presets and then read it from interface. But OK, I see it is not as simple as it seemed to be. And there are probably more important things to work on....

But still, it would be IMHO handy, if implemented one day.